ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona Press Conference in an Hour

I can't believe they haven't retracted it! They keep changing the time line which they must not realize ruins the validity of the story. It is sensational journalism at it's finest. Just admit you made a mistake before every other outlet makes you look ridiculous. Btw all this is coming from someone who believes everyone is guilty
Its because there is ZERO repercussion for media in this day and age. College game day was basically all about Miller and Ayton and he got thrown under the bus. I didn't hear one "IF' these reports are true---they just ran with it b/c the words FBI were in it. How did anyone forget to ask.......why in the holy eff would the fib have leaks to a couple of sports writers? How could this info get out about an ongoing case---esp detailed info. If miller did it, then throw the book at him and any other coach involved in pay for play. But if he didn't---every person involved in the reporting without verification should be handed appropriate punishment---particularly for how damaging the false reporting of non facts could and maybe has effected a university, an 18 yr old athlete, and an entire university. UofA isn't 100% clean and will have to answer for the assistant that seems rather guilty---but the chips should fall before judgment is made. Everyone notable school has played players that have received at least something outside the rules and the colleges have no control or knowledge of.

That’s basically what they did to UNC. Ran with hearsay without knowing the facts of the case. Unless you want to talk about Dan Kane, he just flat out lied & made up shit.
UNC was a guilty as they come. Just found a way to skirt NCAA rules by adding a few regular students to the fake classes. Louisville should have had a few regular students with the strippers and they could have done the same as UNC. Everyone but UNC fans know those fake classes were created to keep athletes eligible.

UNC was a guilty as they come. Just found a way to skirt NCAA rules by adding a few regular students to the fake classes. Louisville should have had a few regular students with the strippers and they could have done the same as UNC. Everyone but UNC fans know those fake classes were created to keep athletes eligible.
You’re not even close to being right.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I don’t understand how ESPN’s story had the conversation in taking place in 2016 when the wire tap didn’t begin until June of 2017? Like how do you get that wrong for a week before they realize it?

I don’t understand how ESPN’s story had the conversation in taking place in 2016 when the wire tap didn’t begin until June of 2017? Like how do you get that wrong for a week before they realize it?
Oh they knew their timeline was messed up. They started with Spring '17, changed to Spring '16 I believe, then just '16 and now its just '17. And all these changes change the story which they dont really seem to understand.

I guess the issue is:

Is Sean Miller on tape heard discussing providing payments to Ayton as an option or planning to

Or

Is Sean Miller on tape confirming he gave Ayton $100k to come to Arizona

Cause if he was just discussing it as an option, but never provided the payment, is that an NCAA violation or against the law? That may be what Miller is going on, but having his assistant arrested and signing Ayton still doesn't make him look good. But it looks like he's trying to get by on a technicality.

He would have been indicted if the ESPN story was true

You’re assuming that a grand jury has already been held for Sean Miller’s indictment. This is a leak (to which the feds and the courts have raised public alarm about, so there must be some merit to the claims).

Also, the news has been out on Pitino for some time now, and he, nor any of his staff have been indicted, for literally the same thing that Sean Miller allegedly did.

You know I am right. All basketball fans but UNC fans know I am right. Even one of your players named McCants admitted it and his transcripts proved it. Keep hiding you head in the sand. We know you cheated and the NCAA even admitted you cheated but you found ways to skirt the rules.
Funny you bring up McCants. Do you know when he was at UNC he compared being at UNC to being in jail? Why? Because he did the same thing over & over, one of them was that he was required to go to class.
Amazing that he bitched about going to class while in school but when he thought he might get money from a lawsuit after his nba career died, he all of a sudden changed his story.
McCants is nothing more than a liar & con artist.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=1905457

Funny you bring up McCants. Do you know when he was at UNC he compared being at UNC to being in jail? Why? Because he did the same thing over & over, one of them was that he was required to go to class.
Amazing that he bitched about going to class while in school but when he thought he might get money from a lawsuit after his nba career died, he all of a sudden changed his story.

I mean, hard to call him a liar when he was the only one willing to show his transcripts and none of the other players did.

Also, I can use that same argument against you. For someone who hated going to class, being on the Dean's List is usually not consistent with that type of individual. Just sayin.

I mean, hard to call him a liar when he was the only one willing to show his transcripts and none of the other players did.

Also, I can use that same argument against you. For someone who hated going to class, being on the Dean's List is usually not consistent with that type of individual. Just sayin.
Both my kids moan & groan every morning about going to school but they’re both on the honor roll.

Both my kids moan & groan every morning about going to school but they’re both on the honor roll.

But were they failing one semester and went to honor roll the following semester with NO suitable explanation?

Last edited:
You know I am right. All basketball fans but UNC fans know I am right. Even one of your players named McCants admitted it and his transcripts proved it. Keep hiding you head in the sand. We know you cheated and the NCAA even admitted you cheated but you found ways to skirt the rules.

And in the end what happened? You’re far from right but you’re close to stupid.

You’re assuming that a grand jury has already been held for Sean Miller’s indictment. This is a leak (to which the feds and the courts have raised public alarm about, so there must be some merit to the claims).

Also, the news has been out on Pitino for some time now, and he, nor any of his staff have been indicted, for literally the same thing that Sean Miller allegedly did.
The courts raised alarm about the Yahoo story, not the ESPN report. The ESPN report is not an FBI leak like they portrayed. And fair enough, maybe I was wrong about an indictment

His transcripts proved what he was saying. He was ready to flunk out of school until he took 4 AFAM classes and made the Deans list. How stupid can you guys be. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck then it is a duck.

Reactions: SloppyHopkins
ESPN is to blame for sh*tty journalism and their latest journalistic f**k up just may have vindicated Miller instead of condemning him out of the UA job. Is Miller guilty of making a $100,000 deal in landing Ayton? Possibly but ESPN's hot take to be first on scene showing how Sean Miller was directly caught on wire tapped phone calls arranging for $100,000 for Ayton wasn't a real accurate article. To make matters worse, ESPN's report came into play because somehow, someone in the FBI leaked this information out and ESPN hot a hold of it. Instead of double checking their source, they ran with the info and didn't bother verifying the FBI's info first.

With all the talk of paying college athletes and the backlash many are getting for thinking that way, info leaked by the FBI in the college basketball corruption scandal more than likely didn't get leaked by pure accident. Somebody from the FBI probably got a decent amount of money to leak the info ESPN got a hold of. ESPN then goes onto write an article attempting to break the college basketball corruption scandal wide open but didn't bother to check the accuracy of their own work. Talk about hypocritical.

ESPN is to blame for sh*tty journalism and their latest journalistic f**k up just may have vindicated Miller instead of condemning him out of the UA job. Is Miller guilty of making a $100,000 deal in landing Ayton? Possibly but ESPN's hot take to be first on scene showing how Sean Miller was directly caught on wire tapped phone calls arranging for $100,000 for Ayton wasn't a real accurate article. To make matters worse, ESPN's report came into play because somehow, someone in the FBI leaked this information out and ESPN hot a hold of it. Instead of double checking their source, they ran with the info and didn't bother verifying the FBI's info first.

With all the talk of paying college athletes and the backlash many are getting for thinking that way, info leaked by the FBI in the college basketball corruption scandal more than likely didn't get leaked by pure accident. Somebody from the FBI probably got a decent amount of money to leak the info ESPN got a hold of. ESPN then goes onto write an article attempting to break the college basketball corruption scandal wide open but didn't bother to check the accuracy of their own work. Talk about hypocritical.
So I agree with a good chunk of that, but the info wasn't leaked by the FBI. The consensus is that it probably came from the defense side of the case. I don't know if that's the same for the Yahoo info as that is the story that upset the judge.

Last edited:
So I agree with a good chunk of that, but the info wasn't leaked by the FBI. The consensus is that it probably game from the defense side of the case. I don't know if that's the same for the Yahoo info as that is the story that upset the judge.

If that's the case then ESPN didn't collect the alleged Sean Miller recordings on their own. Those came from somewhere they should not have been coming from. That is a major problem and watching what ESPN did and how they screwed up is sad. As of now, it's not Sean Miller at the forefront. The responsibility falls in the lap of ESPN for wanting to break a story so bad that they were severely careless. Now the FBI are the one who have the 4,000+ wire taps or so they say. If the alleged call implicating Miller first hand didn't come from the FBI, where did it come from and how the hell did this party end up with it?

The Yahoo article that was released showing the names of current & former players who received extra benefits was something we knew was coming so that wasn't a real shock when it came out. I like the position Miller is in now. He's maintaining his stance while sh*tty journalism & the party who offered so-called phone call involving Miller look absolutely stupid.

If that's the case then ESPN didn't collect the alleged Sean Miller recordings on their own. Those came from somewhere they should not have been coming from. That is a major problem and watching what ESPN did and how they screwed up is sad. As of now, it's not Sean Miller at the forefront. The responsibility falls in the lap of ESPN for wanting to break a story so bad that they were severely careless. Now the FBI are the one who have the 4,000+ wire taps or so they say. If the alleged call implicating Miller first hand didn't come from the FBI, where did it come from and how the hell did this party end up with it?

The Yahoo article that was released showing the names of current & former players who received extra benefits was something we knew was coming so that wasn't a real shock when it came out. I like the position Miller is in now. He's maintaining his stance while sh*tty journalism & the party who offered so-called phone call involving Miller look absolutely stupid.
I believe the thought is that ESPN didnt make it up, but their source, while possibly having access to the tapes, may have used them to spread disinformation.

Schlabach has been silent other than one radio interview. I am not sure which timeline they are running with now, but I believe they are still trying to argue that Miller was discussing the 100k to get Ayton to commit, but Ayton was already committed with their timeline. They arent going to admit that they had the wrong player (Bowen not Ayton) and the wrong story (refusing to pay 100k with Alkins and Trier back).

I agree with the position Miller is in now. He knows more than ESPN, and is digging in. I thought ESPN was going to let this story fade away, but they are digging in too.

I believe the thought is that ESPN didnt make it up, but their source, while possibly having access to the tapes, may have used them to spread disinformation.

Schlabach has been silent other than one radio interview. I am not sure which timeline they are running with now, but I believe they are still trying to argue that Miller was discussing the 100k to get Ayton to commit, but Ayton was already committed with their timeline. They arent going to admit that they had the wrong player (Bowen not Ayton) and the wrong story (refusing to pay 100k with Alkins and Trier back).

I agree with the position Miller is in now. He knows more than ESPN, and is digging in. I thought ESPN was going to let this story fade away, but they are digging in too.

I agree with this. If you or in this case ESPN is wanting to break a story of this magnitude, you would think it'd be in your best interest to verify sources. The timeline mistake is a rather large mistake especially since Ayton was already committed to Arizona. When the story first broke I thought there was no way Miller would coach college basketball again. As more began to come out and Schlabach's info started showing some holes, I was really anxious to see how Miller responded. I like how Miller dug in and is sticking by his story. Schlabach and ESPN's trying to do the same isn't the same. They have lost credibility.

The chances of Miller surviving this in the long run look a lot better too.

Reactions: ndesgeorges
I agree with this. If you or in this case ESPN is wanting to break a story of this magnitude, you would think it'd be in your best interest to verify sources. The timeline mistake is a rather large mistake especially since Ayton was already committed to Arizona. When the story first broke I thought there was no way Miller would coach college basketball again. As more began to come out and Schlabach's info started showing some holes, I was really anxious to see how Miller responded. I like how Miller dug in and is sticking by his story. Schlabach and ESPN's trying to do the same isn't the same. They have lost credibility.

The chances of Miller surviving this in the long run look a lot better too.
Totally agree. When it first broke, I thought we were nuked. Even with all the holes, our AD nearly moved on from Miller. If Miller didnt have the absurd buyout I feel like he wouldnt have survived this.

I dont know about his long term prospects. Had this been a normal year, they wouldnt look good, but who knows what else comes out about other schools and what happens at the end of this year to cbb as a whole. That was my main thing when it wasnt looking good that the AD was going to keep him. If more comes out about other schools, and they stand by their coach while we fired ours, not only would we be navigating a new cbb landscape without our coach, but we'd have to bring in a new coach to replace one that wasnt supported by our AD. What big name coach would want to step into that situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: RockChalkRally
So it seems like ESPN was completely wrong about Miller being recorded on wiretap talking about paying players. ESPN never has been the gold standard in sports journalism but that's just sloppy.

I Have a hunch Miller is done at AZ after this season.
I hope I’m wrong, but the way he acknowledged the non seniors not returning Saturday, and with Brandon Williams decommitting..it just seemed very off to me.

Williams was said to have loved Miller and couldn’t wait to play for him.
Why not wait and see how things shakeout first?
I know it seems like a ridiculous take, but what if he was given a heads up that things were coming down hard..
from Miller himself?

ADVERTISEMENT