ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona needs a new coach

And we almost had none of the guys on the list. FeelsBadMan. Rudy Gay not make the first team with UCONN?
Nope. At least not for the AP 1st Team. Rudy Gay was 2nd Team, and so were Carmelo Anthony, Roy Hibbert, and Ty Lawson. Probably leaving a few off, too.

Reactions: bMORE607
Nope. At least not for the AP 1st Team. Rudy Gay was 2nd Team, and so were Carmelo Anthony, Roy Hibbert, and Ty Lawson. Probably leaving a few off, too.
The athletic talent that comes out of Maryland is ridiculous, if only we could get two coaches that can keep the talent in state. Football was up there as well, maybe not at the top anymore, but close.

Reactions: dukedevilz
The athletic talent that comes out of Maryland is ridiculous, if only we could get two coaches that can keep the talent in state. Football was up there as well, maybe not at the top anymore, but close.

Yeah, that's got to be painful. Some of the local talents sign elsewhere - and some of the local talents, like Hunter Dickinson, aren't even recruited. Feel like Minnesota has been in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, there are no other D1 schools in Minnesota. And Little Richard missed on every top recruit there, minus Oturu.

Yeah, that's got to be painful. Some of the local talents sign elsewhere - and some of the local talents, like Hunter Dickinson, aren't even recruited. Feel like Minnesota has been in the same boat. If I'm not mistaken, there are no other D1 schools in Minnesota. And Little Richard missed on every top recruit there, minus Oturu.
Dickinson was recruited, but he didn't get enough love from our staff for his liking. IDK why he made up the never recruited bullshit. A lot of Dematha kids usually go to ND because of the Brey connection, so our staff focuses on other kids. I can fault Turge on a lot of stuff, but not sinking a lot of recruiting resources into Dematha isn't one of them when our last player from there was Travis Garrison. Would I love for a Dematha pipeline to be opened up, of course, but I don;t know if that will ever happen.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Dickinson was recruited, but he didn't get enough love from our staff for his liking. IDK why he made up the never recruited bullshit. A lot of Dematha kids usually go to ND because of the Brey connection, so our staff focuses on other kids. I can fault Turge on a lot of stuff, but not sinking a lot of recruiting resources into Dematha isn't one of them when our last player from there was Travis Garrison. Would I love for a Dematha pipeline to be opened up, of course, but I don;t know if that will ever happen.

Didn't realize that Dickinson exaggerated the recruiting story lol. Guess he got his feelings hurt? That is interesting. But yes, Brey has a great connection with DeMatha. I honestly had him pegged as a ND commit awhile back. Was surprised he went elsewhere. Maybe Turge should consider hiring Mike Jones as an assistant?

Didn't realize that Dickinson exaggerated the recruiting story lol. Guess he got his feelings hurt? That is interesting. But yes, Brey has a great connection with DeMatha. I honestly had him pegged as a ND commit awhile back. Was surprised he went elsewhere. Maybe Turge should consider hiring Mike Jones as an assistant?
Hopefully his buyout didn't go up and this is Turge's last year. Although he has done his best coaching with his back up against the wall so maybe we should just keep signing him to 1 year deals. I feel like everybody had him pegged as a ND commit, but shit happens.

IL is a stepping stone job

IL has lost one coach in the modern era to another program, and it was his dream job at KU. If losing Kruger to the NBA makes us a “stepping stone job,” then every job is one, lol. Illinois, with the money ponied up as it now is with our current AD, isn’t losing a coach to anyone. That’s not to say it’s the best job (it’s not), but it’s good enough to pay a coach to stay regardless of other offers. Unlike Iowa.

IL has lost one coach in the modern era to another program, and it was his dream job at KU. If losing Kruger to the NBA makes us a “stepping stone job,” then every job is one, lol. Illinois, with the money ponied up as it now is with our current AD, isn’t losing a coach to anyone. That’s not to say it’s the best job (it’s not), but it’s good enough to pay a coach to stay regardless of other offers. Unlike Iowa.

Arizona can't afford Fran

And I was speaking specifically about D1 players. You might be right about the NBA, though. Although the birthplace and the hometown aren't really the same thing. Lots of guys move when they're young. Michael Jordan is a North Carolina product, not a NYC product. But, here are the numbers for those recruited by D1 schools.

NCAA-Recruited-By-State.png

That is such a short time period 2013-2016

That is such a short time period 2013-2016

It is, but I saw another study a few years ago that had a different methodology and still had Maryland as the highest producing state, per capita. I want to say they were tracking top 100 recruits over a 20-year period. I'll post that study if I can ever find it. There will be flaws in all of these methods, of course. Needless to say, Maryland and Georgia are both up there. Certainly Louisiana and D.C. perform really well, too.

Reactions: duckboy33
Power 5? Technically no, but we're a stones throw from Georgetown.
No I know there aren't any other P5 teams but just other schools that can eat into your recruiting base. Georgetown is in DC but I guess they qualify. Just wondering if there are others.

Arizona is royally screwing this up. This President just can't help himself. He did the same exact thing in the Football coach hiring process. The entire Athletic Department, and fanbase wanted the SJSU Coach as their Head Football coach and he went in another way. Then they've been silently recruiting Tommy Lloyd for a couple months and have now backed off after offering him the job.

And to the misguided fans who think Arizona is too good for Tommy Lloyd, you are entirely incorrect.

Arizona is royally screwing this up. This President just can't help himself. He did the same exact thing in the Football coach hiring process. The entire Athletic Department, and fanbase wanted the SJSU Coach as their Head Football coach and he went in another way. Then they've been silently recruiting Tommy Lloyd for a couple months and have now backed off after offering him the job.

And to the misguided fans who think Arizona is too good for Tommy Lloyd, you are entirely incorrect.
Lloyd isnt going to coach Arizona??

Looks official. We'll see how it pans out. Potential for a decent team next year if he can keep the core together. I'm hesitant to celebrate over a guy with zero head coaching experience. Everyone says he's the real deal but I could fill an arena with the failed careers of assistants of great coaches who were disappointments.

Reactions: duckboy33
Looks official. We'll see how it pans out. Potential for a decent team next year if he can keep the core together. I'm hesitant to celebrate over a guy with zero head coaching experience. Everyone says he's the real deal but I could fill an arena with the failed careers of assistants of great coaches who were disappointments.

Still upset about 2001?

Reactions: F-Duke
Day 2 on the job and Lloyd gets a commit from top 50 player Dylan Anderson. 7 footer out of AZ.

ADVERTISEMENT