***Arizona 'Bama official game thread

afish111

Apr 16, 2006
PG play will be Arizona's downfall come tourney time. Their offense can also be very stagnant at times.

ZonaCat2301

Mar 4, 2007
San Diego and Phoenix
Team
Arizona
Banks open late in Tucson..........SmokinSmile
We just dont play hard enough on defense this year. Young kids who dont try, older guys that dont care on that side of the ball and dont show the young guys how to play...its infuriating. Thank goodness Alkins is back. I dont know how much more college hoops I can watch with 18 year olds these days literally playing AAU ball during games. Bama looks not bad.

HRTheCard

Sep 15, 2016
Team
Louisville
Wut. I was at the game. Im not sure what that means, other than it was a hard fought game. Arizona most definitely had more talent overall than the Aggies...and they played hard. That literally makes no sense at all.
So it's only about talent. Okay. Duke or Uk should win every year.

TheWizardofOz12

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2013
Great game. Sexton and Ayton both will be big time players at the next level. That said Zona lacks interior defense to the 100th degree. Will be their downfall. Excited for the last 10 mins here - my guess is Alabama by 5

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Kind of surprised they didn't go the monitor, there. I mean, that easily could be a flagrant foul. It certainly wasn't a basketball play. Alabama kid just simply threw himself into the AZ kid, with no intent of making a play for the ball.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12

BoilerDaddy

Mar 26, 2009
Great game. Sexton and Ayton both will be big time players at the next level. That said Zona lacks interior defense to the 100th degree. Will be their downfall. Excited for the last 10 mins here - my guess is Alabama by 5
Trier isn’t bad either.

ZonaCat2301

Mar 4, 2007
San Diego and Phoenix
Team
Arizona
Kind of surprised they didn't go the monitor, there. I mean, that easily could be a flagrant foul. It certainly wasn't a basketball play. Alabama kid just simply threw himself into the AZ kid, with no intent of making a play for the ball.
I dont think Aytons foot really touched him...hes just a big dude. Wouldnt habe been surprised tho either way. They did go to monitor and played on.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
I dont think Aytons foot really touched him...hes just a big dude. Wouldnt habe been surprised tho either way. They did go to monitor and played on.
Not that play. The play were the ball was going OOB, and the Alabama kid just threw himself into the Arizona player; they called a foul on Bama. To me it was excessive contact, not related to a basketball play. Easily could've been a live ball, contact technical foul. And possibly a flagrant 1.

ZonaCat2301

Mar 4, 2007
San Diego and Phoenix
Team
Arizona
Not that play. The play were the ball was going OOB, and the Alabama kid just threw himself into the Arizona player; they called a foul on Bama. To me it was excessive contact, not related to a basketball play. Easily could've been a live ball, contact technical foul. And possibly a flagrant 1.
Ohhhh really? I thought a regular foul was a good call...never wouldve thought that. Should be a good ending here.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Ohhhh really? I thought a regular foul was a good call...never wouldve thought that. Should be a good ending here.
It was a good call; and the right call. BUT......Not all contact is the same. That easily could've been viewed as excessive. To me it was close. He never made an attempt(IMO) for the ball. More or less just sought out contact.

Tiderfl

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2008
If they aren't going to call the kick to the face I don't know how you call that.

P.G.S.

Dec 23, 2006
Does everyone get hosed on the calls when they go to Zona or was it just the terrible ref the announcers talked about?

I laughed when the announcers said "that as a player you just want the game called consistent." "What's called a foul in the first half, should be called a foul in the second." This I agree on but what is a foul on one end, should also be a foul on the other end. This is the consistency that I was looking for.

Anyways.....good game Zona. The big man was too much along with the returning player that was injured and Tiere(however he spells it). I was just glad that Alabama came back when they were down in the first half and made it a game. Alabama needs more team play. Sexton is going to give out if we continue to make it all about him. Alabama(especially Norris) missed way too many wide open shoots(3s). The bigs had a good game on offense but they are still not boxing out on D.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
If they aren't going to call the kick to the face I don't know how you call that.
You really think he was trying to kick the kid? I don't. He's just a big ass dude. As for the Bama kid....You think he was trying to get the ball? I don't. Seemed he just threw himself into the Zona kid. No basketball intent whatsoever. The Ayton play was incidental contact; if there was contact. The other play was anything but incidental.

Like I said----Not all contact is the same. This is a prime example of that.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Does everyone get hosed on the calls when they go to Zona or was it just the terrible ref the announcers talked about?

I laughed when the announcers said "that as a player you just want the game called consistent." "What's called a foul in the first half, should be called a foul in the second." This I agree on but what is a foul on one end, should be a foul on the other end. This is the consistency that I was looking for.

Anyways.....good game Zona. The big man was too much along with the returning player that was injured and Tiere(however he spells it). I was just glad that Alabama came back when they were down in the first half and made it a game. Alabama needs more team play. Sexton is going to give out if we continue to make it all about him. Alabama(especially Norris) missed way too many wide open shoots(3s). The bigs had a good game on offense but they are still not boxing out on D.
Bama's going to be a pretty good team come March. They'll be an NCAAT team, and tough ass out.

P.G.S.

Dec 23, 2006
Bama's going to be a pretty good team come March. They'll be an NCAAT team, and tough ass out.
The defense is lacking, imo. If Key can get back and to the way he played for most of last year(minus the tourneys), he will help them a lot. Petty is still not playing to his potential. He did hit a few 3s tonight but lots of folks around here thought he was a better player than Sexton before they stepped on campus. Hall has been a surprise. He has always been really raw but seems to be putting together some good and consistent offensive play lately.

That big man for Zona in hell to play against. He's nothing but nba material inside and out.

As crazy as this sounds, I would love to play Zona again. Not because I think Alabama would beat them if given another shot but because it was a great game to watch. I wish it was conference play because the loser will be going home if they play again. Do you guys come to Ttown next year?

Reactions: AirZona

P.G.S.

Dec 23, 2006
The defense is lacking, imo. If Key can get back and to the way he played for most of last year(minus the tourneys), he will help them a lot. Petty is still not playing to his potential. He did hit a few 3s tonight but lots of folks around here thought he was a better player than Sexton before they stepped on campus. Hall has been a surprise. He has always been really raw but seems to be putting together some good and consistent offensive play lately.

That big man for Zona in hell to play against. He's nothing but nba material inside and out.

As crazy as this sounds, I would love to play Zona again. Not because I think Alabama would beat them if given another shot but because it was a great game to watch. I wish it was conference play because the loser will be going home if they play again. Do you guys come to Ttown next year?
My bad. I just noticed that you were not a Zona fan. I thought you were one of the others itt. It's getting late and I've been drinking since after noon today.

Big_O.

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2008
SF - KC - Tucson - SF
Team
Arizona
[QUOTE="P.G.S., post: 23105504, member: 9360] Do you guys come to Ttown next year?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Byrne set up the home & home right after bouncing, IIRC

Reactions: P.G.S.

KisteK

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2012
You really think he was trying to kick the kid? I don't. He's just a big ass dude. As for the Bama kid....You think he was trying to get the ball? I don't. Seemed he just threw himself into the Zona kid. No basketball intent whatsoever. The Ayton play was incidental contact; if there was contact. The other play was anything but incidental.
Prob didn't help that Ayton had shoes that looked (on a 60" smart tv in a small, small bedroom) like WWE boots on.
Dude's shoe was bigger than kid's face.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
My bad. I just noticed that you were not a Zona fan. I thought you were one of the others itt. It's getting late and I've been drinking since after noon today.
No biggie. Actually I use to live in Alabama; Grand Bay.

Reactions: P.G.S.