ADVERTISEMENT

arenas that are terrible for watching games on TV

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Let's start with the obvious right off the bat. Oklahoma State. There's a reason there aren't seats hanging from the ceiling.

Same goes for Duke, but to a slightly lesser extent. The view isn't quite as straight down as OSU.

Are there any other where the view is from the ceiling?

Also, I nominate TCU for having such an ugly floor I feel like I'm going to have a seizure whenever the pace of the game goes up.

Very minor nomination for Michigan, but only when they wear the maize colored uniforms. Maybe its because my TV is too good, but it's just way too much yellow going on.

What are some other horrible arenas to watch games on TV?

Agreed on Oklahoma State and Duke. Hate those angles.

Kansas has the best lighting on the court and angle in my non biased opinion. For instance Kentucky is very dark.

Let's start with the obvious right off the bat. Oklahoma State. There's a reason there aren't seats hanging from the ceiling.

Same goes for Duke, but to a slightly lesser extent. The view isn't quite as straight down as OSU.

Also, I nominate TCU for having such an ugly floor I feel like I'm going to have a seizure whenever the pace of the game goes up.

Very minor nomination for Michigan, but only when they wear the maize colored uniforms. Maybe its because my TV is too good, but it's just way too much yellow going on.

Shocking that you mention Duke. How many games have you attended at Cameron.

I know it was mentioned for all the wrong reasons, but I seem to recall that Indiana's arena has a very flat sightline with the cameras apparently at the level of the 10th row. Hard to say, been a while since I've felt the need to watch an Indiana game.

Not overly concerned with angles or depth perception. Not sure I really notice it. But, can we talk about aesthetics? Agreed with the OP about TCU's court. Not easy on the eyes. It's super distracting. A few more under consideration, for me at least, would be Oregon, Memphis, and Colorado State.

452521001.0.jpg

New_floor.jpg

Moby-Arena-Colorado-State.jpg

It kinda does. If you remember back in the day, the camera angle was pretty much on the floor. You couldnt tell what was happening at times.

But it really doesn't. His post was talking about how the aisles are made and the steep trek up to the upper deck. Those points have nothing to do with the thread.

As I posted later in the thread, if you want to mention the flat camera angle that would 100% be relevant to the thread.

Not sure why this is so hard for the guys who went to the crappy Big10 schools to understand?

Reactions: hawkit3113
Not overly concerned with angles or depth perception. Not sure I really notice it. But, can we talk about aesthetics? Agreed with the OP about TCU's court. Not easy on the eyes. It's super distracting. A few more under consideration, for me at least, would be Oregon, Memphis, and Colorado State.

yea those are distracting to look at as well. On the other side, the best looking court in the USA is San Jose State and it's not even debatable.

452521001.0.jpg

New_floor.jpg

I get Oregon's concept, I just don't like it. Memphis is trash. CSU's is like Oregon, I see what they are going for, but it's poorly executed. The striping in the horns is bad and the horns don't match their logo's.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I actually hate the Yum Center tv view. Way too high up and when I shot goes up, it’s tough to tell if it even went in. Reminds of the rafters setting in 2K.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I actually hate the Yum Center tv view. Way too high up and when I shot goes up, it’s tough to tell if it even went in. Reminds of the rafters setting in 2K.

please list the name of the college that plays there. I'm not looking shit up.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde

452521001.0.jpg

New_floor.jpg

Those should be illegal

I actually kinda like TCU’s court.

Oregon’s court is horrific.

452521001.0.jpg

New_floor.jpg

The Colorado State one is particularly awful for TV viewers and I would imagine for live viewing as well. Same goes for Boise State's blue football field and Eastern Washington's red field. Makes me want to vomit.

Kansas has the best lighting on the court and angle in my non biased opinion. For instance Kentucky is very dark.
Virginia Tech - it looks like they're playing in the dark
This is the correct answer, their lighting always seemed off. I would have assumed they fixed that by now, but I guess not.

Rupp did used to look a bit dark, but a couple of years ago they installed all new lighting and it's much better now.

Vandy was a good answer as well as some of the above floors.

If I’m being totally honest, there’s actually something to do with the Cameron Indoor lighting/coloring/shading that I don’t personally care for. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but I’ve felt that way for a while.

I’m a big fan of the aesthetics of Syracuse and Virginia for TV games.

Reactions: jhmossy
If I’m being totally honest, there’s actually something to do with the Cameron Indoor lighting/coloring/shading that I don’t personally care for. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but I’ve felt that way for a while.

I’m a big fan of the aesthetics of Syracuse and Virginia for TV games.

First time someone has said that a Virginia game is aesthetically pleasing

I must be in the minority, but I like the Duke view. Not a fan of the Syracuse view because it is way to low IMO.

OSU’s is bad this year due to Covid. Apparently the regular camera spot is too close to fans and ESPN made them move the camera up higher. Should be back to normal next season.

I hate arenas that don’t have student sections in the TV view. Your school is allowed two straight hours of advertising your own school spirit. Yet some schools decided to have their boring donors behind the benches and put the tv view on them. Just absolutely idiotic.

When I’m watching a game, I want to see the crazy fans. Not the old people who yell at you when you stand up.

I hate arenas that don’t have student sections in the TV view. Your school is allowed two straight hours of advertising your own school spirit. Yet some schools decided to have their boring donors behind the benches and put the tv view on them. Just absolutely idiotic.

When I’m watching a game, I want to see the crazy fans. Not the old people who yell at you when you stand up.
For example, here is Santa Clara University. You can see a packed student section and a half empty donors section. And when this game is on TV, you don’t get to see the students at all. Makes for a pretty terrible representation of your school.

ADVERTISEMENT