ADVERTISEMENT

Are Student Athletes employees?

By the same standard, high school athletes could argue that they're employees. They adhere to a set of rules; they have to listen to their coaches; they practice so many hours in a week; their activities are documented. It will be an exciting time when high school JV tennis players finally receive a paycheck.

By the same standard, high school athletes could argue that they're employees. They adhere to a set of rules; they have to listen to their coaches; they practice so many hours in a week; their activities are documented. It will be an exciting time when high school JV tennis players finally receive a paycheck.

It should all be related to how much $$ you earn for your school. So in that scenario the JV tennis players will most likely end the season owing money to the school rather than the other way around.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz
It should all be related to how much $$ you earn for your school. So in that scenario the JV tennis players will most likely end the season owing money to the school rather than the other way around.

Haha I like it. And we should used advanced statistics as well. That way JV tennis players aren't all flocking to the football program. The weak links on a profitable program can't be compensated equally.

a 4 year degree is barely worth the paper it's printed on.
I think that is misleading. Suppose someone wants to get an advanced degree. It isn’t going to happen without first getting an undergraduate degree.

Then consider that there are many people without BA degrees doing well, but that doesn’t mean that on average someone with a high school degree will have lifetime earning equivalent to those with college degree.

Finally, playing college football really isn’t worth much either: about 98% of those who do aren’t going on to the next level. They would be better off focusing on academics and pursuing advanced degrees.

Reactions: cdbearde
Getting a worthwhile degree is certainly worth your time and effort. Getting my undergrad degree allowed me to get my grad school paid for, plus about a ~$40k a year salary as a research assistant while I was enrolled at Kentucky.

If they could afford to pay me ~$20 an hour in addition to waiving my tuition for grad school, they can certainly afford to pay the football and basketball teams. No one expected me to work for free just because I was getting my tuition waived as well.

I really don't understand how so many people can be against the folks that provide the majority of the labor in a billion dollar industry getting paid for their efforts and then turn around and talk about how they love free market capitalism.

If they are employees then they need to forfeit the scholarship and get paid a salary equivalent to the value of the scholarship on a bi-weekly basis. However, they must pay for all expenses out-of-pocket - tuition, room & board, meals, books, supplies, insurance, physical therapy, medical, etc. Travel & accommodation can be reimbursed as a business expense.

They cannot have it both ways in terms of the full ride scholarship and being paid as an employee - especially at whatever exorbitant % that is probably being sought from revenues the team generates. Does the 13th man on the team get paid the same as the star player(s)? How about walk-ons that work as hard in practice, don't play, and typically inflate the team GPA for APR purposes? Do all athletes in non-revenue generating sports get paid as well? Most football programs lose money.

Aren't they getting "paid" enough already with all the perks they get to play their sport, advertise their skills and services on national television (at least FBS football and the top 6 basketball conferences), and the full ride along with travel, accommodation, per diem on the road, school apparel, etc. in exchange for an opportunity to get a valid 4-year degree (at least still better than HS diploma) with major networking connections that can serve them in the real world when 99% figure out they'll never sniff the pros?

College basketball as we know it is already gone. NIL could actually help keep kids in school, if anything. But I don't think we should be paying kids like they are working.
Aren't we still watching them play and betting on them?

Betting money is what will ultimately kill the sport, not NIL.

fixin games is were the moneys at.

we should pay them to not fix games and compete so we can watch.

If they are employees then they need to forfeit the scholarship and get paid a salary equivalent to the value of the scholarship on a bi-weekly basis.
And why is that? UK paid my tuition and still gave me a paycheck, and I generated way less revenue for the school compared to a basketball player. Stating an opinion as fact doesn't make it a fact.
They cannot have it both ways in terms of the full ride scholarship and being paid as an employee
Says who?
Aren't they getting "paid" enough already with all the perks they get to play their sport, advertise their skills and services on national television (at least FBS football and the top 6 basketball conferences),
Exposure isn't payment. Perks don't pay your bills or put a roof over the head of you or your family. If they are already being paid enough, let the free market decide that. The fact that players have been getting paid on the side forever would seem to suggest that the market exists for players being compensated beyond scholarships and being given exposure.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Global Havok, What were you funded for and what did you get a paycheck for?

Since you have first hand experience, please describe in detail how this would be implemented across the board for every athlete, male and female, in every sport - baseball, softball, golf, tennis, swimming, diving, water polo, field hockey, crew, etc. - including for walk-ons and end of bench players who get little to no playing time and are not on full scholarship. How much would be a fair amount? If basketball and football players are employees, then so too are all other athletes.

Football and basketball revenue funds these other sports so other athletes can have a chance to compete at the collegiate level and get a break on their education costs. The university also deserves to try to earn a profit to put away $ for future investments in facilities and other athletic costs.

Basketball players don't have to accept a scholarship at university, do they? They can try to go straight to the G-League and get paid without the burden of having to attend classes and try to get an education that might help them once they realize they have no shot at a pro career.

Give them the equivalent scholarship $ without any need to attend classes so they are getting paid for just playing their sport. I'm sure that would sit well with their teammates and they wouldn't be much of a distraction - but perhaps at places like UK, and UNC, that is the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT