Are Dean Smith and Coach K THE best rivalry coaches in sports history?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Quavarius, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

In terms of importance and accomplishment, are they the two best rivalry coaches of all time? If not, who would you put above them? I really can't think of any 2 coaches who were better in terms of importance and accomplishments--combined. Bo and Woody were great, but Bo never won a national championship. Some of the Yankees/Red Sox coaches back in the day? Maybe Pat and Geno if you include women sports.

Discuss

2. bkingUK

bkingUK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Definitely the best duo in the Duke vs UNC rivalry

3. CardHack

CardHack Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't top Bo and Woody. Those two existed not to win championships; they existed to keep the other from winning championships. That was a true blood rivalry challenged perhaps only by Stalin and Hitler. They didn't care the cost or how many of their own died in the process, only that the other wouldn't enjoy success.

4. keith37

keith37 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Loved the Carneseca and Thompson match ups in the original BE, but yeah, it's K vs Dean.

5. BadgerBengal

BadgerBengal Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bo vs Woody, and its not even close, that was pure hatred.

6. matty1212

matty1212 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bo and woody couldn't hold the jock straps of k and dean. It's laughable to think otherwise
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

7. Oznaminn

Oznaminn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You have some serious issues. Coach Smith would be disappointed in your remarks and doing this on the day of his passing is shameful. You also obviously have little knowledge of the rivalry between Coach Hayes and Bo which is the greatest coaching rivalry in the history of college sports.

8. matty1212

matty1212 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Serious issues? Ha. I can think of 400 football coaches who are better than those 2. K and Dean are at the top when it comes to college basketball. Greatness, my friend on so many levels.

9. Swat30

Swat30 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

lol

10. UNC71-00

UNC71-00 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Furthermore, I believe Schembechler and Hayes played each other a total of 10 times. K and Dean did that in 4 seasons, and they had 17 seasons (Dean was 24-14 over K). Also, UNC and Duke are only 8 miles apart.

Finally, Woody Hayes was a complete lunatic who resigned in disgrace. Dean and K are two of the most respected men in the history of college sports.

Only Big10 homers could possibly think it's Woody and Bo.

11. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

"I can think of 400 better football coa@he's better than Woody/Bo".

Please do.

Anyways. Its not about better coaches. Its about best rivalries. If you include women, one could argue Geno/Pat.

Hayes/Bo though was vicious. They simply despised one another. Just a very, very personal rivalry.

K/Dean? As good as it gets as far as importance/accomplishments. But those two had mutual respect. Bo/Hayes hated one another. Or so it seemed.

Hard to answer. On just accomplishment/importance, I'd say yeah, Dean/K. But overall? Man Bo/woody is hard to beat.

12. Cyclonacity

Cyclonacity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

How about Bob Boyd vs John Wooden?

13. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Pat Summit vs Geno?

14. parke241

parke241 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bo just doesn't have the hardware that the others do. He was 5-12 in bowl games and did not win a national championship. Just not on the other's level.

15. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Because I couldn't go for three.

Doesn't get much better.

With your pansy parameters, I'll agree Smith v K is higher bc of accomplishments.

But for your thread title, no. And it's not really close.

16. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Didn't Bo coach under Woody at OSU?

Look, K and Dean did NOT get along at first. Time brought them closer, but they were fierce competitors. K from the Bob Knight tree and Dean from the Phog Allen tree. K cussed at Dean; Dean telling K not to talk to his players, K accusing Dean of getting preferential treatment (hmmm) and Dean telling the Cameron Crazies "JR CAN READ" and on and on.

If it was JUST about the rivalry, then yeah Woody and Bo would be the answer, but Bo coached 20 years and didn't win a national title and Woody won two (I think). At the time Dean's retirement, K and Dean won 4 national titles, 18 Final Fours and countless ACC titles.

17. stakesarehigh

stakesarehigh Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's really about regionality. Not old enough to have seen the osu/um rivalry with bo/woody. If we are talking purely coach to coach it is debatable. Rivalry to rivalry though the Duke/Carolina game doesn't have as much tradition.

18. kansasrandy

kansasrandy Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

how about papa bear halas vs coach lombardi? Pretty good rivalry between two hall of fame coaches who each coached a dynasty. Most storied rivalry in the most popular american sport. Fan bases that truly hate the other. Met 18 times as opposing coaches. Lombardi dominated the head to head (13-5) like dean has a comfortable edge on k (24-14). However no reward in college basketball is named after smith or coach k, yet the winner of the NFC wins the Halas trophy and the super bowl winner wins the lombardi trophy.

19. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Good one kansasrandy. I thought about Lombardi and Landry, but I don't think they played that many times.

20. jjbritton

jjbritton Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Damn those K vs. Smith matchups brought back some great memories. I was not a big fan of either team, but I watched damn near every game I could of UNC and Duke. the talent that would go through those arena's was awesome. That Vince Carter & Jamison team was so damn fun.

21. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

As far as what each accomplished and what the Duke-UNC rivalry is to college basketball, they're definitely on the short list.

Bo & Woody is a good choice, too. Their rivalry loses points for not being as long and b/c they don't really have as solid arguments for the "Mt Rushmore" of coaching as K and Dean, but their intensity, ferocity, and personalities make up for that, so ultimately it probably boils down to personal preference.