Archie Miller

schoonerwest

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2006
Midland, TX
Team
Kansas
I just looked at Indiana's record.

4-6 in their last 10 and they've now lost 4 in a row.

If he misses the tournament this year is he on the hot seat? That would be 3 straight missed tournaments for them when he didn't inherit anything really all that terrible. Right? I mean, elite coaches just don't lose 15 games a year for 3 years in a row.

What's wrong with him? I thought he was supposed to be legit.

I think he gets one more year regardless but if they miss the tournament this season, next year is NCAA or bust.

I've never thought him elite and I'd wager most IU fans felt the same way. He rode one season to an Elite Eight at Dayton (a pretty easy place to win) with a style that's not really conducive to Big Ten play.

I think he gets one more year regardless but if they miss the tournament this season, next year is NCAA or bust.

I've never thought him elite and I'd wager most IU fans felt the same way. He rode one season to an Elite Eight at Dayton (a pretty easy place to win) with a style that's not really conducive to Big Ten play.
I'm thinking IU will hold on to him longer. He's young and curious to see the level of failure he can take them to.

Well, atleast Indiana fans don't have to worry about Duke or North Carolina stealing their coach now that they've shown they don't know how to hire one worth stealing.

Well, atleast Indiana fans don't have to worry about Duke or North Carolina stealing their coach now that they've shown they don't know how to hire one worth stealing.
I'm pretty amazed with all the resources and recruiting base they have, they really can't seem to hire one decent coach.

Blue Blood status
High paying job
One of the best recruiting bases in the country
Well knowledgeable, traveling fan base
TV/media deals
on and on.

Sampson, Davis, Crean, Miller. (rechecking my list here, I didn't realize Dan Dakich coached seven games in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indiana_Hoosiers_men's_basketball_head_coaches

Reactions: RockChalkRally

He'll get two more years regardless of what happens based on his contract.

Last year his team was riddled with injuries all year, so he's gets somewhat of a pass. This year we haven't had those injuries and its seemingly more of a cultural issue with some Crean holdovers. Not an excuse, IMO. He needs to handle that shit. But in the end, I'm withholding judgement until next year when he's got a team with 100% his guys.

I'm pretty amazed with all the resources and recruiting base they have, they really can't seem to hire one decent coach.

Blue Blood status
High paying job
One of the best recruiting bases in the country
Well knowledgeable, traveling fan base
TV/media deals
on and on.

Sampson, Davis, Crean, Miller.
They actually hired a pretty good coach several years ago. He just didn't know how to cheat without getting caught.

He'll get two more years regardless of what happens based on his contract.

Last year his team was riddled with injuries all year, so he's gets somewhat of a pass. This year we haven't had those injuries and its seemingly more of a cultural issue with some Crean holdovers. Not an excuse, IMO. He needs to handle that shit. But in the end, I'm withholding judgement until next year when he's got a team with 100% his guys.

If IU were to miss the NCAA his first 4 seasons (I don't think this occurs), you don't think the fan base would force a change? I think that would be a tough pill to swallow.

If IU were to miss the NCAA his first 4 seasons (I don't think this occurs), you don't think the fan base would force a change? I think that would be a tough pill to swallow.
No. I don't think it matters what the fanbase wants, ultimately, at this point. Based on his contract, he's going to get five years regardless.

50 games is a pretty good sample size right?

He's 22-28 in the Big 10.
Seven of our 13 players missed multiple games last year including Langford. Langford also played 60% of the season with an injury to his thumb on his shooting hand which required surgery.

IMO, first year is first year. Last year I give him somewhat of a pass. This year I don't give him a pass, but it seems to be better at this point with work left to do. Next year and the following are make or break IMO.

I don't think IU has the clout anymore to be able to steal him away.
I don't know who would come coach at IU if we fire Archie quickly. What coach in their right mind would come here after seeing what we've done to coaches over the last decade(ish)? Certainly wouldn't expect it to be any big name coach.

I don't know who would come coach at IU if we fire Archie quickly. What coach in their right mind would come here after seeing what we've done to coaches over the last decade(ish)? Certainly wouldn't expect it to be any big name coach.
See my post above, you have all the resources. UK "ran off Tubby", fired Gillispie after two years. Pow, #1 recruiting class E8 the following year. Ended the longest FF drought in UK history right after that. In the 80's IU and UK was on the same level. No reason for IU not to return to greatness in short order. IMO.

Long winded way of saying, I don't buy the "what coach would come here if we throw out the guy."

Reactions: SNU0821
That's a good point. But then you can counter that and say who wouldn't take a job that's guaranteed to make them $10,000,000+ in less than 3 years when the coach you're hiring probably comes from a mid-major or some other place where they aren't even making 7 figures.

Reactions: SNU0821
See my post above, you have all the resources. UK "ran off Tubby", fired Gillispie after two years. Pow, #1 recruiting class E8 the following year. Ended the longest FF drought in UK history right after that. In the 80's IU and UK was on the same level. No reason for IU not to return to greatness in short order. IMO.

Long winded way of saying, I don't buy the "what coach would come here if we throw out the guy."
I feel like BCG was fired because they knew they had Calipari in the bag. Right? Didn't it all happen in just a few days?

I feel like BCG was fired because they knew they had Calipari in the bag. Right? Didn't it all happen in just a few days?

It was longer, and a guy/former player Mike Pratt is basically solely responsible for bringing Calipari on board.

Looks like it took 3 days. Not long at all. I feel like that may have been in the works before the firing of BCG was official.
Calipari let it be known he wanted the job when Tubby was hired.He said he'd come home and ask his wife if UK called when we hired Gillispie.

No one can really blame UK for firing Clyde, right? Even if Cal wasn’t coming, there’s probably 100+ better options as far as coaching.

No one can really blame UK for firing Clyde, right? Even if Cal wasn’t coming, there’s probably 100+ better options as far as coaching.
You guys didn't fire him because of the on court performance from what I recall.

It was because he consistently missed functions put on by donors and was an alcoholic, correct? Stuff like that?

You guys didn't fire him because of the on court performance from what I recall.

It was because he consistently missed functions put on by donors and was an alcoholic, correct? Stuff like that?
yeah, f'n players girlfriends, hanging out in bars, functions, media obligations, rude to Tom Leach continuously on air, and to top it off, on court results.

Just a shit show all the way around.

To be honest, I think a lot of it was on the court performance. I mean, without doing any research, I think Kentucky had three of its most embarrassing loses ever under gillispie. Never won a tournament game with him. All that stuff outside of basketball just made it easier for UK to get rid of him.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
To be honest, I think a lot of it was on the court performance. I mean, without doing any research, I think Kentucky had three of its most embarrassing loses ever under gillispie. Never won a tournament game with him. All that stuff outside of basketball just made it easier for UK to get rid of him.
Yeah. I feel like the on court performance was enough for them to pull the trigger so quickly.

It was a similar situation with Charlie Weis at KU. It's almost unheard for a football program to let go of a guy before he's even finished 3 seasons, especially at a program like Kansas, but that is what happened with him. He missed meetings with donors, forgot recruits names, fell asleep at team meetings, never bothered to mingle with the real people who make the program happen, etc. If you piss off the Board of Regents then you're pretty done.

With BCG I just remember it being similar stuff. His head and heart weren't prepared for that type of position and he blew it.

Yeah. I feel like the on court performance was enough for them to pull the trigger so quickly.

It was a similar situation with Charlie Weis at KU. It's almost unheard for a football program to let go of a guy before he's even finished 3 seasons, especially at a program like Kansas, but that is what happened with him. He missed meetings with donors, forgot recruits names, fell asleep at team meetings, never bothered to mingle with the real people who make the program happen, etc. If you piss off the Board of Regents then you're pretty done.

With BCG I just remember it being similar stuff. His head and heart weren't prepared for that type of position and he blew it.
Pressure definitely got to him. After his second DUI, I really felt bad for the guy.

He banged players girlfriends?

You listed this first. I'm intrigued.

Link?
Don't have a link due to it coming from all sorts of links and time it would take to look up a link. Podcast, internet, hearsay, etc...but it all comes back to Alex Legion's girlfriend.

*quick two minute search.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Pressure definitely got to him. After his second DUI, I really felt bad for the guy.
At one time I was really hoping he would clean up and join the KU coaching staff. Him and Bill Self were always said to be really close. He had a brilliant basketball mind but he just couldn’t control his demons.

Last thing I recall about him is him resigning from a position here in Ranger, TX due to health issues. Something like that.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Ahhh. Similar to Bill Self and the cheerleader story. Gotcha.
Yeah, who knows. When it's reported by so many ppl, it does make one wonder if it's true, but even that wasn't the only reason Gillispie was fired.He was known at on campus bars. Hooking up with students etc. too many pics and stories, while it was happening for it all to be just hearsay. I think the job was bigger than him, he wanted to do what he wanted and not answer to anyone, and it swallowed him whole.

Funny story, is Gillispie and a lack of a contract with UK.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT