AP ranked wins through regular season

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by DTP2, May 19, 2019.

1. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Simple. Playoffs are stupid. Make your own mind up. But if you get something bad then it's probably because you wouldn't listen I at least know a little about what the problem is. You guys are going to ruin college football. If you keep pressing for a playoff.
    I'm simply giving you all advance notice.

You're going to mess it up then probably blame someone else because you won't listen. To someone who is pretty smart. Me.

You're going to ruin what has worked forever. And replace it with something that never does.

2. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Yes they are. Every bowl is a championship.
    That's why we need them. They're essential.

3. Jennerpeach41

Jennerpeach41 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My post was in general....not for just you.

Maybe you should send the CFB Playoff Committee your resume.

sdave likes this.
  4. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

At no point in time did you ever mention the same idea as mine. I don't care what you think of it . It works as I want it to . And there is no precise to aim for.

olsonab likes this.
  5. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No they aren't. No team aims to be the champion of most every bowl when the season starts.

6. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I'm not trying to press it but consider, and you seem intelligent enough to figure out what might fly if you were in a position if leadership, so what I'm asking for, really is simply a fair appraisal relative to the condition of what a championship truly is.

My thinking is to include everyone (and I think that's a noble pursuit ) requires conceding that there might be a simple solution. Admitting FCS might be a requirement. Given that a playoff selects a champion I think it's imperative to include FCS. So I'm simply being proactive. And including FCS. As follows:

FCS (championship) tournament and include both the Ivy League (Princeton) as well as SWAC (N. Carolina A,& T) and MEAC (Alcorn St) who play a separate championship. Together! F W.I.W. that's effectively admitting four teams (N. Dakota St , vs. E.Washington) In one bracket against Princeton vs. N. Carolina A&T. On the other side. Winner take all. (Final Four)

Against six teams (say whichever four teams were qualified) and include the Rose

That's a championship that's more inclusive better presented and administered. And in my opinion, simpler to apply. And easy. If you recognize what I did it should resonate.
    Last year:
    Orange Bowl: Alabama vs. Oklahoma (Alabama)
    Cotton Bowl: Notre Dame vs.Clemson (Clemson)
    Rose: Ohio St. vs. Washington (Ohio St).

United FCS NC:
    N.Dakota St. (FCS NC) Vs.
    (Princeton vs. N.Carolina A&T.).

Final Four:
    Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St.,United FCS NC.
    (N. Dakota St , Princeton, or N Carolina A&T).

Division I NC:
    Clemson vs. (Ohio St vs. FCS NC).

Tell me that isn't a good idea. Seriously isn't it?

166 collegefbfan2017, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  7. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

What are you talking about? No team aspires to participate in a bowl? When I was in school that might be the primary objective.. What are they aspiring to? Seriously. Are you aware even if you get 'your way' you aren't making it any easier for anyone. You might be making it harder.

With 256 (nearly) assuming even odds the probability of winning a championship (your way) become drastically more prohibitive.

1/256 =0.00390625 or NOT 3.9% but 1/10 of 3.9 let's call it four ot four tenths of one percent. I'll even round it to an even one %.

That's dealers prerogative. Or once every hundred years. With a playoff. 1/100. So about every hundred years, or so, on average a championship for a particular team in question
    That isn't exactly upping the ante. Not at all.

I probably shouldn't admit FCS but I am. They are division I but even if I DON'T the relative distribution table remains approximately the same. So about every 100 years expect a NC.

Not too likely is it? You didn't make it easier. You made it harder cingratulations .good job

167 collegefbfan2017, May 22, 2019
  8. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Not at all which is why your ideas suck.

9. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There aren't 256 FBS teams. I don't care how difficult it is to win the national title. In this thread, I only posted statistics regarded AP ranked wins. You made this about a playoff. And every team's primary goal no matter how realistic is to compete for the national title. No one aspires to go 6-6 and beat another 6-6 in a bowl game and pretend that title has significance.

H8FULLGR8 likes this.
  10. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Okay Beavis.

11. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Among the dumbest ideas ever conceived.

olsonab and MajorWarren like this.
  12. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I don't think so. Review how it might have addressed the past five years. Admitting six FBS would have admitted fringe teams, possibly Georgia a year ago (possibly not)
    But at least there would be a procedure to follow. FCS could incorporate. I think including FCS would make the title game more relevant particular to the championship. I think it would address access better and I think it would result in less confusion to what the process is.
    That's just a sampling. Im sure there are other possibilities. You don't have to like it.

But what better result do you have? I doubt you can give me anything other than what I already presented. Which is eight teams. Right? Which would almost certainly grow.

So I'm not capping it at eight. It sucks. It's a bad idea and if that's what you are promoting (you tell me fella) I'm well within my right to hold you to task for it. For a litany of reasons, besides. Whatever. Make your own case based on your own idealogy

But don't tell me mine sucks when yours is infinitely worse. So what's your plan? Eight?
    That's my impression you want eight. It doesn't really matter what it is. If it's a playoff it's likely going to grow beyond eight.

Which MEANS forestalling (cutting back) the regular season to ten games (a la FCS).

Including the FCS (they're only separated by format). NCAA bylaws don't CARE if FBS football is superior to FCS. Which means equal admittance (again by law) which means equal distribution of assets.

Which depending greatly on the quality FCS brings might mean (or might not) a lower residual. But it means a unified championship. And FCS already has 24 teams, so unless FCS wants to curb growth it might mean lowering the competitive bar.

Not all of that is necessarily bad. But it can't be YOU directing it as you see fit ok? Assuming that's your end goal. That isn't going to happen. So drop it. Your plan. Whatever it is unless you have something in place I've yet to see presented is a crock.

But I've been wring before. What is it? I laid my idea out there do what's yours? Do tell. Very interested in learning more about it. What is it? Pairing teams by committee?

13. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

You know what? I've yet to see evidence of a single original idea in your arsensal. I'm beginning to think everything you do is a lie. Bullshit made up ridiculous nonsense just to get your way. Because you want a playoff. That stupid ridiculous "I only care that the result fits the formula,' or whatever regurgitation seems I'll conceived from the get-go. You're trying to force a playoff and nothing else just admit it.
    I'd rather you be upfront. It's ok to want one.

You are entitled to that opinion. But it sure as HELL doesn't make it a good idea. F.W.I.W.
    You have a right to that opinion. But it sucks.

14. MajorWarren

MajorWarren Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He may not have an idea because just like yours no one gives a f**k! I can't decide whether your constant babbling is a result of you not having anyone to talk to or is it just flat out stupidity. Your system, jumpingsmile, is so wonderful no one is using it or anything that remotely resembles it. Might be a clue, no one gives a f**k!

15. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Well I haven't exactly advertised but as far as nobody using it that's not true. It's part of Sports Reference which I believe I've stated repeatedly to you particular to the condition of a national championship. They utilize it.
    Thats how I know UCF is a national champion. You can discover for yourself it's not especially hard to do.Go to Sports Reference. Look up C. Florida, 2017. Click their profile and you will see them listed (their ranking) at #1 overall. I don't rank teams, anyway. What I do is infer a national champion based upon s prospectus.
    I evaluate. In 2017 I have Wisconsin #1.
    Relative proficiency (a.k.a. New York Times).

16. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That just shows the stupidity. Please show us the 2017 championship trophy that either Florida or Wisconsin have in their trophy case. Make a believer of us all.

17. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Well assuming I'm right a modern rendition of the New York Times would invariably be given directly to Wisconsin as a result if the formula I apply so I recommend you direct that issue with them, personally and not me.

As far as C.Florida I think I outlined the procedure. It's effectively a Belt (CFP) championship which likely means Alabama cinfuscated what more appropriately belongs to the Knights. But you catch a break. A big time break. In 2017 you beat Clemson. Which means you claim (retroactively) the 2016 NC. Over Clemson.

So if you want to right a wrong Clemson should (imo) send the CFP to UCF. I don't believe that's an infraction and if Clemson. did that it might do someone a world of good. Oh like in 1984 it's a vo-championship.So I'm not dismissing Alabama. But Clemson would be a peach if they gave UCF an equal measure if it. IMHO.

18. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You truly are an idiot!

19. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Whatever Dude. Alabama were a legitimate champion in 2016 but it required beating Clemson (the impostors) to earn it, outright. Which I believe they did eventually. I'm not dismissing Clemson. They claim a NC. But I'm saying 2017 more appropriately is UCF's. It's quite an interesting dynamic really. UCF actually (to claim 2017) had to jump through several hoops. But they landed on their feet.. it's actually quite remakable what they did.
    Nearly identical to what BYU did in 1984.
    Eerily similar anyway. Quite remarkable. They deserve credit for WINNING it. That's the truth

20. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Quit explaining! What you say means less than zero!

olsonab likes this.
  21. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Not at all. And it's easy to follow besides.
    Oklahoma (2017) lost to Iowa St. (this is an explanation of how a Belt includes UCF) and were 'eliminated' (CFP NC) by Georgia who 'lost' to Alabama. But both were O.T. losses.

The Belt (CFP) therefore was split into two pieces. Iowa St lost to W.Virginia, who lost to Texas who lost to Texas Tech, who lost to USF. (who won the Independence Bowl).

USF went (last year) 7-0 before finally losing to Houston. Who lost to Tulane, who lost to S.Methodist, who lost to Memphis, who in a championship game (no excuses) lost to UCF. Who as a result of winning carried a full (relative to the procedure anyway) of a Belt (NC) into the Fiesta Bowl. And lost to L S U.

Now the four parts are 'owned' by Ohio St (3/8) and co-lineal Belt (official) NC Belt .followed by:
    Clemson, L S.U. (1/4, each). And Kentucky (1/8). It's split four ways in other words. Now.

But the NC was split (2017) between Alabama and Oklahoma. Not UCF. So it took until the FOLLOWING year (last year) to address it. And the result seems to be that at least until LOSING it to L.S U. (Fiesta Bowl) it was exclusively UCF's championship. My point is they won it first.

22. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Less than zero!

23. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Whatever dude. Sounds like you're scared. Like I''m threatening you or something stupid like that. But since you are being such a stinker about it if YOU were in college and if there was a team like UCF (doesn't necessarily have to be UCF) or BYU. Or Tulane. Wouldn't you rather beat them than get a questionable championship? You might be right. UF might have blown BYU to smithereens but that's the first time in history that I'm aware of a team won without suiting up. Same with UCF.
    I'm not saying I know. I'm giving either the benefit of the doubt which I consider fair.
    BYU did play Alabama. Alabama won. I think it was in 1997. Ok? UCF beat Alabama. I think you are scared UCF might be the better football team. I wouldn't know but it's not impossible.

183 collegefbfan2017, May 22, 2019
  24. MajorWarren

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like you're stupid!

25. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have no power to force anything and do not pretend to believe my ideas will be adopted or actually apply already.

collegefbfan2017 likes this.
  26. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Neither do I. So I guess you are in good company. As far as your ideas they aren't bad. I'm sorry if I made you think so. I just think because of the investigative work if you want my opinion you might fare better taking my work and running with it. I can assure you it's a better way. Probably simpler to apply and might suit you better.
    I'll have to diagram it out for you. It might be a little confusing but the result is aces! It will probably yield a more concise result to apply. Assuming you are interested. You might like it! Never can tell it might do you good to take my method and utilize it.
    F.W I.W as far as a playoff que Sera sera.
    Nobody's calling me to ask my opinion on it.

27. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll pass.

olsonab and H8FULLGR8 like this.
  28. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Like I said and I'm not objecting at ALL but ranking is subjective. All this really says (my interpretation) is that there are disproportonately MORE ranked (a.k.a. quality) programs in power conferences. Applying Brigham Young as a point of reference it's about what? (Comparitively.) Florida was 66 wins comparex to 9 for BYU.
    Seven times. But clearly that's not reflective of Brigham Young as a whole is it? (No I don't think so). What is it a reflection of then?
    I think it might reflect the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" which I approximated to be 4/1. That's P-5/G-5. Relative distribution.

So why is it higher? Well for one thing I think it's fair to say Brigham Young has been less-than-extraordibary and UF has been exceptional .
    But probably it's been a scheduling issue. BYU as an independent lost games (AFA, San Diego St , Hawaii, Colorado St) teams that occasionally skirted toward rankings and substituted teams (New Mexico St., Massachusetts, among others) who aren't. As well as having difficulty finding their footing under Kilane Satake.
    So I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to apply. But it is 7/1. Make no mistake that's what it us but it's also a slanted way to frame a position.
    As an independent BYU is done ng everything possible to secure the highest opponent possible for every week on the schedule.
    That's why I don't like this position. A better result might follow if instead if simply wins you included total opponents played and corresponding wl%. That's probably more reflective of to the overall quality of opponent than simply games won. Obviously that will push the entire set in one direction. A misleading direction. BYU isn't in the SEC. That's why they don't play a disptoportionate number of ranked teams. That's a prejudiced position to apply in my estimation F.W.I.W.

29. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Once again, it is just a list of AP ranked wins.

olsonab and H8FULLGR8 like this.
  30. Duckdude73

Duckdude73 Moderator
    Expand Collapse

31. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Do? What does that even say? I doubt you did correctly since you couldn't get one trans result s correct. UCF in 2017. You aren't trustworthy. That's my biggest objection. I doubt you've ever presented a list without some kind of mistake. Ever. So Florida plays disproprtionatelym ranked teams go figure Sould I he surprised? Are ranked teams the only basis from which quality is established? And why the AP? You work for the AP? They are copywritten. I think he's no you've been told repeatedly you aren't supposed to use the AP because if that fact.
    Yet you want everyone here yo believe what you post is in the level? Why should I care?
    BYU win an AP championship. Did the AP have to clear that with you? No they didn't. I wonder why? BYU wins the AP (by s considerable margin) but we do not talk about that. That's irrelevant. But it's ok to use evidence against BYU but the same metric. That's ok. Bullshit.
    Keep selling your nonsense. I'm not buying It.

32. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Once again, just a list of AP ranked wins. I have made no claims based on list.

olsonab likes this.
  33. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Nah AP doesn't give a shot about it and like I said it's copywritten. You are committing libel or something similar by even posting it. And you never do it correctly.yiu couldn't get UCF's tally right for a single season after I corrected it like a dozen times you still get it was to int. It's disgusting really. You have no clue what you are even doing. It retarded. Honestly you should probably he permabanned. Continued and willful violation of rules we all are trying to follow. You duck bud. Quit breaking rules and quit using the AP please ll without their permission. I doubt you are even doing it right since you included a disclaimer. What'd so ****ing hard about doing a tally? Do it right or not at all .I'm tired of having to fix it.

34. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Yeah a list you almost certainly did incorrectly. As per usual. But irs ok as long as you tell everyone you did it incorrectly. Don't bother it's bullshit anyway.but says nothing other than that teams that play in power conferences play to a higher level of competition. No shit? I never knew that before. Might that maybe explain why there's a P-5 and a a G-5 subdivisions? Nah couldn't be that Which have think it? Me and everyone else on the planet maybe? In other words it's like regurgitating breakfast. Yep that's exactly what I ate all right. Steak and eggs.

194 collegefbfan2017, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  35. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are not well.

olsonab likes this.
  36. Amadiro

Amadiro Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This page grew from taking two clicks to get to the end to taking 11 clicks to get to the end...all because I was curious who everyone was responding to and decided to "Show Ignored Content."

MISTAKE!

Good lord, that guy is an effing kook. Just block him like I did and save yourself the insanity (and resist the temptation to "Show Ignored Content."

sgacock and DTP2 like this.
  37. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I don't care why don't you just jump off a bridge? Save me some trouble. I don't appreciate that you would single me out, notwithstanding all that. I'm just a guy trying to help right a wrong. An injustice, so if that's problematic that's too bad. I'm sorry if that offends you, ok?

38. Zgeo

Zgeo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This tells the story because it is against the FINAL AP top 15

This is regular season win percentages versus final AP top 15.

1 -Oklahoma 43 56 2 0.436
    2 -Southern California 38 59 1 0.393
    3 -Ohio State 27 44 3 0.385
    4 -Florida State 35 58 1 0.378
    5 -Miami-Florida 29 53 0 0.354
    6 -Michigan 32 63 2 0.340
    7 -Nebraska 27 54 1 0.335
    8 -Florida 36 74 2 0.330
    9 -Auburn 35 74 2 0.324
    10 -Notre Dame 32 70 1 0.316
    11 -Alabama 26 60 2 0.307
    12 -Texas 28 66 1 0.300
    13 -Boise State 3 8 0 0.273
    14 -Washington 24 66 1 0.269
    15 -Louisiana State 24 68 2 0.266
    16 -Penn State 22 64 1 0.259
    17 -Georgia 22 65 2 0.258
    18 -Clemson 17 50 1 0.257
    19 -Oregon 18 55 1 0.250

198 Zgeo, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    UGADawg1988 likes this.
  39. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

If bowl games weren't profitable they would cease to exist. FCS is the championship subdivision. There aren't divisions of I. There are separations as a result of what method they apply against the championship. FCS uses a championship (playoff) I think I've explained this countless times before.

If you keep pressing for "playoffs' you (of necessity) are including FCS. You don't have a choice. YOu can't say "they're terrible, we don't want FCS". Why? Because there's a federal law that prohibits segregation that's why. You can cry foul, piss and moan, the law not only will ADMIT FCS but REQUIRE they be represented to the SAME measure FBS is. You won't be able to cherry-pick. One way to circumvent taht problem might be to pair FCS against FBS (titleists) in a similar fashion to how the Super Bowl was initiated. you at that point will be able to keep them separated but must include FCS.

I'm suggesting rather than having to deal with all of that we simply take what's in place now, include an additional pairing, within the FBS construct (say Ohio St. vs. UCF), in a preliminary pairing (in addition to the Orange and Cotton), and surreptitiously INCLUDE the Ivy League (Princeton) and the champion of the MEAC (Alcorn St) and SWAC (N. Carolina A&T). against the FCS NC (N. Dakota St), together with a semi-final pairing (against Ohio St). And a national championship game (Clemson vs. Ohio St). That's a reasonable solution. Apparently you don't understand reason.

40. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wrong. There are subdivisions because they are different levels of competition. They have different scholarship limits. There are different rules when moving up or down.