AP ranked wins through regular season

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by DTP2, May 19, 2019.

1. Duckdude73

Duckdude73 Moderator
    Expand Collapse

For the past quarter century Oregon has been quite good. 9th in win percentage during that span, about 3% lower than #2 FSU for example. tOSU has a crazy lead in that timeframe over everyone.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...d=2018&rpct=100&min=5&se=on&c1a=on&by=Win+Pct

collegefbfan2017 and GE Nole like this.
  2. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

TheBarnacle and Duckdude73 like this.
  3. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Oregon has def been very good for a while now.

Sheesh, last couple years have hurt FSU’s win percent for sure.

Duckdude73 likes this.
  4. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm a Nebraska fan. GT doesn't surprise me one bit, believe me. o_O

5. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The glory days have BEEN over. We're looking for a return to glory, or as I look at it, a return to the status quo.

H8FULLGR8 likes this.
  6. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure that's what the argument is. But to your point yeah it seems there is a greater percentage of games in the SEC against 'quality' than there are against say the lesser faction (smaller schools). But success is a relative term. I suspect DTP-2 is probably posting this to make me look bad. That since BYU ranks pretty low might be evidence but Iowa still is in the top-20.
    Among several others (U.C.L.A , Washington, Colorado, Miami, FL, Notre Dame, Oklahoma) that BYU has beaten along with others (Florida St., S.California, Ohio St., Penn St., Iowa St.) they haven't beaten.
    My argument is that if you present a. list like this there are still things to consider.
    Sure a greater percentage of quality teams are represented in the 'power' division.
    I even determined the differential. 2/1 favoring the power division. I calculated it.
    That's not an approximation. He says I create an alternate reality. I don't.
    Anyway AP is simply one way to tabulate it.
    It's in fact copywritten which means he's probably using it illegally. Only nothing that since he continues to defy the due process.
    And I think it still leaves a lot to be desired.
    What's the w/l%? I think that might be more relevant than simply total games won.
    Obviously that's going to juxtpose it to practically elininate any G-5 team. That's not fair to the condition of a championship.
    Sure it's relevant. It says that P-5 teams play a disptoportionate number of title games.
    But it isn't like G-5 isn't capable of winning.
    It's a misleading thread. I don't particularly like it. It's a way if separating football in to subdivisions. The reality is there is only one division in the highest level. One.
    Comprised disproportionately with quality at the top among the establishment. That's not exactly Earth shattering information. I knew that. But he's making it like they aren't comparable. There is comparability between the subdivision. 2/1 favoring P-5. Or at least there was. I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as a list of opponents. Boise St obviously has proven demonstrably better.

7. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I let your posts do that for me. That said, it is a list of AP wins........it is what it is and people can make of it what they wish. But don't tell the AP I'm making billions by sharing this list so they don't sue for copyright infringement.:rolleyes:

LSU02 likes this.
  8. tomJH

tomJH Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That SEC grade inflation..

kwsusmc likes this.
  9. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not for nothing, but Nebraska beat the shit out of Penn State AT Beaver Stadium the week before. Penn State got the ultimate home cooking with the "catch that wasn't" to win that game.

This isn't speaking to the original point you were making, this is just speaking on 1982 Penn State. Credit them for having the balls to schedule Nebraska and Alabama back to back like that, but of course Alabama smashed them at Legion Field after they gave all they had at home vs NU. Hell, if I were JoePa, after that NU game, I'd have seriously considered forfeiting the Alabama game the next week. Again, MUCH credit to them for scheduling those two in a row.

NU should have been National Champions in 1982, but then NU SHOULD HAVE BEEN National Champions in '83, too. o_O

Saban gets credit for the championship's he's won, and he deserves every bit of it. But as CLOSE as Osborne got... as many times as he did.... with the Coaching competition he had at that time (WAY more comp than Saban has, due respect).... Tom Osborne has to be on CFB's Mt. Rushmore, or at least seriously in the conversation.

jon1tanman and H8FULLGR8 like this.
  10. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This would have been a MUCH stronger question 25 or so years ago. FSU is coming off of 5-7, Miami is coming off of 7-6.
    True enough, OSU's OOC schedule isn't sexy this year, but they played TCU last year and split a Home and Home with Oklahoma the previous 2 years. UF tout's its SEC schedule year in, year out. If it were me, I'd stick to THAT and not be so quick to challenge others on their OOC schedule. But again, that's just me.

11. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Congrats on your ascension, just wanted to say that.

With all the hate that Nebraska Football's been getting lately, and after coming off of back to back 4-8 seasons..... if one can't even RESPECT Nebraska football after seeing this link (kissing the Top 10), then one is not a true College Football Fan. One would be a useless homer who's opinion shouldn't be heard, respected, or shared with polite society.

Duckdude73 likes this.
  12. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

And while we're at it, only Florida and Alabama can match Nebraska for National Championships in that time frame.

Duckdude73 likes this.
  13. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

@H8FULLGR8 .....

I believe this is fodder for you and your buddies, is it not? Laughing

14. H8FULLGR8

H8FULLGR8 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Meh, one or both were banned today. The board has been nice all afternoon. There’s really nothing to dispute in your posts, though I’m sure they’d try. ;)

15. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Blackleaf deserved and should have been banned for what he said, but I won't lie, I was like "look-a da set da boles on dis frigginguy ! ," like I was in Brooklyn for a hot sec. Laughing

You can admire the act without admiring the actor. Honestly, I still don't see why you give these guys legitimate time out of your day. There might be 3 or 4 Iowa fans even worth a conversation, and you seem to pick the ones that aren't. You do you, though, that's just my opinion.

H8FULLGR8 likes this.
  16. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What's the name of that Iowa Homeboard again ?

I'm considering stopping by and saying Hello. Only considering, mind you.

17. H8FULLGR8

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Isn’t the husker board just called the rivals husker board? I would assume it’s just the rivals Iowa board, I’m not familiar with any fancy names, in terms of social media and message boards I might as well be 80 years old instead of just short of 50 for all the sense it makes to me.

You won’t suddenly respect the Iowa fan base by going over there so I wouldn’t recommend it, unless you need a good laugh.

18. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'll never respect the Iowa fanbase, with the exception of 3 or 4 people. 4 wins in a row (for the 1st time in HISTORY) is plenty to crow about and a blight on NU Football. They've earned that shit and they're taking advantage of it, and they're PERFECTLY within their rights...... it's those that think our programs are somehow EQUAL, or that Iowa is now BETTER, that I won't waste my time with. Do you want a good analogy of the thing? o_O If any of them bother to answer, watch this..........

CLEMSON FANS, HONEST QUESTION....... HOW IS THAT "SOUTH CAROLINA-5 IN A ROW THING LOOKING THESE DAYS?" RollLaugh

I respect the SCHOOL, and I'll respect the HELL out of what they've done for the children and what they do every 3rd Quarter, the whole stadium waving to the sick children in whatever ward that is. Might bring a tear to my eye if I were there personally for it. I don't know and I don't care if what some of those mofos have said about you is true or not, but shit like that is STRICTLY off limits, you being you or not. I'll attack you for treading on THAT, you have my word on it. But I wasn't there, don't know if you did it or not, and don't care. But sick kids are off limits and I don't even know why something like that should need to be said out loud.

19. TheBarnacle

TheBarnacle Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Mono was moaning about Ohio State's perceived weak schedules. Ohio State's "big" OOC game is vs Cincinnati. Maybe if they didn't take a year off from scheduling a strong OOC he wouldn't need to be worried about people taking pot shots at OSU's schedule.

olsonab, Deathroll and nupist like this.
  20. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You're a Florida fan, right?

One who's posted on this Board for more than 5 minutes, right? WITH MOTHERLOVING @Deathroll , right ? o_O

21. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I'm not sure I agree that Nebraska should have been the national champion. They should I suppose have been admitted to the championship game, but after losing they aren't really a prime example of what a NC is. A similar argument can be made about Texas. It's never about one game. It's about a series of games that culminate in a NC.
    Yes, Nebraska very nearly won a NC. But I'm not sure that's not just a nice way of admitting they were beaten. In a title game.
    Yeah they nearly won. But they still lost.
    Sadly. But they did make the championship.
    Miami FL was selected as the champion.
    I thought maybe Auburn deserved it but they did lose to Miami, FL in their chance to right it. Making it hard to dismiss Miami, FL. Similar I suppose to how it's difficult to dismiss BYU after they defeated Washington. Sure the following year. BYU invited Washington to the Holiday Bowl and they passed on BYU for Oklahoma. And won! To their credit they beat Oklahoma, but really all that did was give legitimacy to BYU's claim. Particularly after BYU beat a very respectable Nebraska team in 2015.
    Not picking on Nebraska, but their losing helped establish a protocol for future years.
    It started with the Orange Bowl. It ended with the Holiday Bowl. (As far as BYU goes).
    Kind of funny how Washington dodged BYU.

22. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hey, dumbass.

Asshole confused 14 year old girl with acne......... Dumbass Bohemian who doesn't know where Bohemia is without looking it up........... Asshole guy who got the promotion with NO qualifications........ Dumbass who likes to speak on the Book without ever having read it..........Asshole who's got relationship advice after being dumped by every woman he's ever been with...........ASSHOLE who puts the toilet paper on the holder in the pull-OVER position. o_O

Name me ONE Nebraska Football National Championship game that we've LOST that we were declared National Champions.

23. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

I wasn't trying to make it personal. I just thought you might be interested in what else might quantify a legitimate championship. My intention isn't to lessen what Nebraska did. I can maybe see why it would upset you but here's my rationale.
    Hopefully it will jibe with your opinion. In a productive way. BYU claims a NC essentially as a result of being competitive against QUALITY competition (Nebraska for example). Which should demonstrate that a championship doesn't turn on a dime. It's a concerted effort. From inception to conception. A difficult proposition. As it should be. Nebraska was admitted to the championship. Actually a case might still be there even AFTER having lost, but for that it would defy the tradition of what one is.
    Auburn nearly claimed 1983. I believe their only loss was to Florida, who, in turn, beat Miami, FL. Either team might justifiably be a legitimate title contender, but Miami, FL won the encore. Essentially claiming a NC as a result if having beaten the last team standing. And Georgia beat Texas. Georgia I believe defeated Florida (memory a little shaky) but Florida was 9-2-1. A competitive team and one I think might have challenged.
    But Auburn beat Georgia. Point being it took a village that year to raise an adolescent girl.
    But I'm not trying to dismiss UNL. They are a primary reason why BYU still claims a NC. Nebraska was instrumental toward BYU's cause. I think that's a fair assessment to the problem that vexes some people. It doesn't diminish Nebraska. I think it enhances it.

24. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You're eating and drinking something right now, to be up this late.

What are you eating?

25. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Not sure what point exactly you are making
    BYU with 9 wins. Ok. Relative to what? 45?
    Or approximately five times fewer. Is that supposed to put Florida in the driver's seat?
    I know that's not why you posted it but I am curious as to the cause. Sure UF plays a disproportionately difficult schedule. I understand that. I know that's true.
    In 1984 I admitted the schedule favored UF.
    But there were in fact other people who suggested that SOS while relevant, isn't the deciding factor relative to which team wins.
    Which is why I'm dismissing it as an operative. This hand was already played.
    @Deathroll played it out, repeatedly.
    Yeah comparitively SOS is much stiffer for Florida, but there's also something you are forgetting. Comparitively despite the advantage particular to SOS, UF still had teams on their schedule (probably multiple if we include every year) BYU defeated.
    That's where it breaks down. Along with the fact that ranking, while relevant, is inexact.
    It isn't set in stone. And someone other than myself wisely commented on whether (or not) there is a vast difference in scale (quality of opponent) ranked to unranked.
    I can't say. I honestly haven't sufficient knowledge but in 1984 it wasn't a huge difference. In short you are RIGHT.
    Teams that play in power conferences enjoy a competitive advantage over teams who don't. But there are variations to a theme.
    Not every team BYU played was toast. They all were equally capable of making a rally.
    Under the right conditions. But if all you are doing is saying better teams participate in the paradigm of FBS P-5 that's assuredly so.
    It's a sizable advantage. And a pronounced one. And one I think will probably remain. Barring some as yet unforseen circumstance. But it's not insurmountable

26. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Crow..in case you were wondering. It tastes like fried chicken. Or at least something close to it.

106 collegefbfan2017, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  27. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

Any P-5 should probably be represented. It isn't hard to understand why that would be. There are in fact disproportionately more and better teams within the construct of P-5 than there are relative to G-5 status. I think it's approaching 4/1 although that's probably the extreme end of it. It was 2/1 prior to the inception of CFP. 4/1 is only because G-5 is only performing to 20% cumulative relative proficiency. Which means comparitively to the rest of Division I they are underperforming. But not to the extreme.
    4/1 assuming that's the right paradigm still leaves G-5 with some wiggle room.
    Assuming there is a 4/1 separation there are still as many as 65/5=13 G-5 comparable to P-5. Decidedly fewer. That helps explain the differential. Which is clearly profit-driven. The only way G-5 will ever close the gap will be by playing more games and winning more. Absent of that happening we are stuck in essentially a stand-by condition.

28. nupist

nupist Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I really WASN'T wondering unless you were eating actual food. I'm wondering who's up cooking this time of night, besides me. I just grilled up a couple of hamburger patties and fried up a couple of eggs to go on top. I suppose you're not a late-night cook.

29. collegefbfan2017

Expand Collapse

No but that sounds pretty delicious. Particularly the fried egg part. I'm not trying to be a pest. It would be nice if we could all agree on what a championship is, however. I wish we could all get in synch in that regard. Because I think it might create more clarity to the procedure. But I'm not going to debate people about what they think. It's too tiresome. It makes me frustrated and I'd rather not have to deal with it.

30. UGADawg1988

UGADawg1988 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That year, in my own opinion, Auburn ended up with the best resume. They had a shockingly strong SOS and nobody ended the year with a better record.

That year Auburn:
    beat #4 Georgia
    lost to #5 Texas
    beat #6 Florida
    beat #8 Michigan
    beat #15 Alabama

These are final rankings, not rankings at the time of the game. None of the other possible contenders can compete with Auburn's SOS that year, and most or all of the retroactive computer ratings rank Auburn #1.

Another often overlooked contender in 1983 is final ranked #5 Texas. They only had one loss by a single point to final ranked #4 Georgia in the Cotton Bowl, and were ranked 2nd for almost the entire year behind Nebraska. They didn't play a schedule nearly as good as Auburn's, but they did beat Auburn in Jordan-Hare that year 20-7. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Texas had multiple seniors that year who would go on to play in the NFL, a record breaking number in fact, at least at the time anyway.

What Miami had though was a big win on a huge stage, against the prohibitive #1 team: Nebraska, in a thrilling game.

1983 would have been a great year to have an 8 team playoff. With a 4 team playoff Miami probably wouldn't have even gotten invited since they were the #5 team in the polls before the bowls were played. That's how competitive it was at the top in 1983.

olsonab and GE Nole like this.
  31. Skyhawk48

Skyhawk48 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Penn State got a lot of home cooking. Same endzone one year later. Oh and the ref that waved it off was a Penn State grad.

111 Skyhawk48, May 20, 2019
  32. MajorWarren

MajorWarren Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Is this based on teams ranked at the time the game was played or final rankings? According to most on this board, a team being ranked at the time of the game is meaningless.

TheBarnacle likes this.
  33. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

End of year.

34. TheBarnacle

TheBarnacle Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If you don’t know me by now......

Formerly BillBratzkeGator

35. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Iowa fans still living rent free in Nebraskan heads I see. Good to know. Nupist I dont think you will find anyone that is knowledgeable on CFB that does not respect who nebraska was during their periods of dominance. The problem is the most recent period of said dominance was roughly 2 decades ago.

36. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Your response has nothing to do with my post once again.

37. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It is just a list of AP ranked wins..............it has nothing to do with 1984.

117 DTP2, May 20, 2019
  38. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Who got banned?

Which thread?

39. H8FULLGR8

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Meh, we know where Nebraska stands
    2002-present. Although we were not completely satisfied with the on field results 2002-2014 there was at least some highs and an occasional appearance in a conference championship game. 2015-2018 is the worst 4 year stretch in Nebraska football history in my lifetime, and it coincides with Iowa winning 4 straight against Nebraska, which isn’t surprising, the only game since 2015 that I expected more from Nebraska against Iowa was 2016.

Once again, if Iowa fans are going to constantly chirp to ISU fans about how Iowa is the better program based on history and series dominance, you shouldn’t be surprised when Nebraska fans do the same to you. Iowa’s program successes and Iowa’s historical success (13 conference championships) over ISU are even less pronounced than Nebraska’s program successes (46 conference championships and 5 NCs) and historical success over Iowa. You probably expect iowa to win 6-7 times out ten against ISU and we expect Nebraska to win 6-7 times out of ten against Iowa. It remains to be seen if either of our expectations are valid. You’ll always have that 4 year run against Nebraska to look back on with fond memories. ;)

40. H8FULLGR8

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse