ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know about vacuum sealing/freezing meat?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Hey all!

So got a chest freezer, and looking to store meat longer-term... anyone know anything about this? Seems the best thing to do is get a vacuum sealer and then freeze... but any advice more than welcome!

We have one down in the basement. I just wrap my stuff in foil and put it in a freezer bag. Not sure how long it stays that way though. I suppose I'll find out one day.

Reactions: TheDude1
I got your meat for you, right here.

Literally as soon as I saw that you commented on this I knew what you had written:)

We have one down in the basement. I just wrap my stuff in foil and put it in a freezer bag. Not sure how long it stays that way though. I suppose I'll find out one day.

Gotcha. I am thinking of getting a vacuum sealer... we have a built in generator, so even if the power goes out the freezer keeps going... and from what I read vacuum sealing will keep meat good for years, rather than months....?

Reactions: JimboBBN
Yes, vacuum sealing is the way to go. Keeps a lot longer and no freezer burn.

I almost wanted to just post in the gun thread, because I suspect there is some overlap between people who own lots of guns and people who know about long term food storage:)

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Meat will be safe to eat for a very long time---but the quality will be diminished. Regular stuff like bacon and pizza rolls/hot dogs/hamburger has a quality shelf life of 1-2 months. Steaks and big cuts of meat are 6-12 months. But unless your buying a side of beef---its wildly better to keep on hand what you need and will use within a month for quality control.

I almost wanted to just post in the gun thread, because I suspect there is some overlap between people who own lots of guns and people who know about long term food storage:)
Gotta be ready for the apocalypse, which I'm pretty sure will happen at some point this year.

Reactions: TheDude1
If you eat beef that has been frozen 12 months don't expect much taste. Same with pork and poultry has an even shorter freezer life.

Meat will be safe to eat for a very long time---but the quality will be diminished. Regular stuff like bacon and pizza rolls/hot dogs/hamburger has a quality shelf life of 1-2 months. Steaks and big cuts of meat are 6-12 months. But unless your buying a side of beef---its wildly better to keep on hand what you need and will use within a month for quality control.
This^^
All this other nonsense is just that. Vaccum sealed helps maintain highest quality to the above mentioned time frame

This^^
All this other nonsense is just that. Vaccum sealed helps maintain highest quality to the above mentioned time frame
When I want steak---which is basically all the time---I want to take it straight from the cage to my grill. The only thing Ive been a little interested in are the ads for the one way breathing vaccuum bags that you can age steaks for 10-50 days. Always wanted to try that. Some of those 50 day aged ribeyes go for $$$ in a nice steakhouse. Just seems so sketch at home and Ill never know if Im doing it right lol.

@Bert Higginbotha how do you age your meat?

When I went up there he had aged the steak we ate himself. It was excellent. He's told me a couple times how to do it, but I didn't write it down. I was drinking at the time.
Unless you have a temp and humidity controlled place to age beef you can:

• Buy good steaks
  • Wash them
  • Sprinkle a little salt on them
  • Put them in a "food saver" pack
  • Vacuum seal them
  • Put them in the frig at about 40°F
  • When they start to go to a brown color instead of bright blood red eat them
  • Or freeze them if you can't eat them immediately

Unless you have a temp and humidity controlled place to age beef you can:

• Buy good steaks
  • Wash them