ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here used to collect sport cards.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I was born in '75, I collected all cards during the 80's

I stopped collecting after the baseball strike, and sold my whole collection for 3k.

I regretted it for a while, but now looking back, I'd be lucky to get 300.

I was born in '75 as well. I gave all mine to my stepson. I think my best one is a 87 Fleer MJ. I have no clue what any card is worth anymore though. Probably not much.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I had every Marino card made at one point I think. Was a huge collection. If is the only thing I sold as I sold of a lot of sports memorabilia when I got married.

I collected as a kid but really got into it for a few years back around 2000 to 2005. Bought mostly PSA graded cards at the time. Any card you can name I prolly had it. Even THE Jordan rookie card but it wasn’t in very good shape. Sold almost everything I had in 05 because I was going to Vegas!

I had every Marino card made at one point I think. Was a huge collection. If is the only thing I sold as I sold of a lot of sports memorabilia when I got married.
my three '84 prized football cards were Elway, Marino and Manley rookie cards. Everyone was focusing more on baseball back then but I had all the nba, nfl and nhl rookie cards.

Don Mattingly, Eric Davis, Wade Boggs, and Tony Gwynn players I'd trade for. Vince Coleman, Barry Larkin and Ricky Henderson were second.

Back then they fluctuated quickly on worth. Bash brothers and killer B's were 4 other best bets.

All of my cards are from the 80's and 90's. I spent hours and hours going through my baseball cards... enjoyed trading cards with other kids during my elementary school years. Got some football and basketball in there too, but I've always thought baseball cards carry more clout.

One thing I left out of my OP collection was all my starter posters. My bedroom was decorated with Barry Sanders, Wilkins, Jordan, Robinson, etc. posters.

Jordan_dunk_original_original_original_crop_exact_crop_north.jpeg

lf

a415857d37828e0a12a1242546b6e83a.jpg

The latter was a full size poster.

I used to be big into old cards Cracker Jack to the 70s . I’ll never forget the biggest regret of my life. I was maybe 12. My dad took me to a place in lucasville. People set up booths and sell shit. Some dude had atleast 50 1919 crack jack cards amongst others selling them for two bucks because he didn’t know if they were real. I didn’t recognize the names because there was no joe Jackson or ty Cobb. I bought 6. Turns out they were real. The cheapest one was worth 300. I traded them for some mantles. I’ll always regret not begging my dad to buy them all

I have a bunch. Started late 80’s. Stopped mid 90’s. My prized feat is receiving a complete 1990 topps set at 9 years old and it still has the shrink wrap. I have rookies of Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Brett, Jackson, Puckett , and any of the all stars of that era. Probably stopped worshipping the process after Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey jr. Nothing on this planet beats the excitement of a card collector and a new Beckett. Hours on end adding up .13 cent Doug drabeks and Jose rijos

One thing I left out of my OP collection was all my starter posters. My bedroom was decorated with Barry Sanders, Wilkins, Jordan, Robinson, etc. posters.

Jordan_dunk_original_original_original_crop_exact_crop_north.jpeg

lf

a415857d37828e0a12a1242546b6e83a.jpg

The latter was a full size poster.
That Jackson poster along with his black and blue are still on the inside door of my hs closet

I have a bunch. Started late 80’s. Stopped mid 90’s. My prized feat is receiving a complete 1990 topps set at 9 years old and it still has the shrink wrap. I have rookies of Nolan Ryan, Clemens, Brett, Jackson, Puckett , and any of the all stars of that era. Probably stopped worshipping the process after Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey jr. Nothing on this planet beats the excitement of a card collector and a new Beckett. Hours on end adding up .13 cent Doug drabeks and Jose rijos
Upper Deck was a new exciting card.

Reactions: toonces11
Don Mattingly, Eric Davis, Wade Boggs, and Tony Gwynn players I'd trade for. Vince Coleman, Barry Larkin and Ricky Henderson were second.

Back then they fluctuated quickly on worth. Bash brothers and killer B's were 4 other best bets.
Are you a reds fan? Born in 77...while living next to Louisville it was nothing but the Reds here in this area inregards to media outlets. Barry Larkin was hands down my all time favorite sports player of any sport. I had his rookie card and many other non-rookie cards of his. One of the best xmas presents i ever got was an 7 ft tall poster of him.

I grew up extremely poor, but my parents figured out a way to get into a private school each year. So, i was always the poor kid who no one was ever jealous of. Until i got that poster. Every kid from school who went into my room for some reason couldn't stop talking about that poster. Within a year, probably half the guys in my 27 person class ended up also getting it.

Its sad to think about now, but the jealousy i experienced during that very small moment in time was probably one of my best feelings of my early teens. (and i had a great choldhood with tons of friends. So, not sure if this feeling that i had means that in reality...im a horrible person lol) When you're always the one jealous because your parents cant afford the same things your friends have...it feels great to now be the person envied!

Are you a reds fan? Born in 77...while living next to Louisville it was nothing but the Reds here in this area inregards to media outlets. Barry Larkin was hands down my all time favorite sports player of any sport. I had his rookie card and many other non-rookie cards of his. One of the best xmas presents i ever got was an 7 ft tall poster of him.

I grew up extremely poor, but my parents figured out a way to get into a private school each year. So, i was always the poor kid who no one was ever jealous of. Until i got that poster. Every kid from school who went into my room for some reason couldn't stop talking about that poster. Within a year, probably half the guys in my 27 person class ended up also getting it.

Its sad to think about now, but the jealousy i experienced during that very small moment in time was probably one of my best feelings of my early teens. (and i had a great choldhood with tons of friends. So, not sure if this feeling that i had means that in reality...im a horrible person lol) When you're always the one jealous because your parents cant afford the same things your friends have...it feels great to now be the person envied!
First, we were also poor. Single mother, two children. one of the things my mom did was sit me and my brother in front of a cable tv while she was working. atari, mtv, wrestling and sports. I'm a huge fan of Cincinnati Reds/Bengals/Riverfront/Kings Island.

*can go in detail about Marge Schott. Pete Rose, Eric the Red, Johnny Bench, Ken Griffey sr, Barry Larkin etc. Opening day at Riverfront.

Reactions: jace4655555
My dad was the typical horror stories you hear from the late 40s and early 50s in regards to baseball cards. His mom was mad at him for not cleaning his closet, so she went in amd threw away anything that wasn't clothes ,or shoes....including all of his baseball cards

The despair in his voice while he explained how he was a huge Yankees fan as a kid. He wnded up having complete team Yankees sets from 1949-1955. So, he had Mantles rookie card and loved to tell the story about how he once traded 2 mantle cards for a Ruth card from a kid down the streat.

I haven't even thought about this since i was in my early teens, but i used to track how much money we would have had if he still had all of those cards. I can't remember exactly how much, but it was definitely well over a million. Of course, in my mind each and every card were in mint condition lol. When in reality they probably were trashed because he was a kid.

To add further insult to injury....once he got the complete Yankees team for that season he didn't care about even worrying about keeping the remaining cards. He used to tell me how him and his friends used to just buy the cards because they wanted the gum. They used to just throw away most of the cards and eat the gum.

First, we were also poor. Single mother, two children. one of the things my mom did was sit me and my brother in front of a cable tv while she was working. atari, mtv, wrestling and sports. I'm a huge fan of Cincinnati Reds/Bengals/Riverfront/Kings Island.

*can go in detail about Marge Schott. Pete Rose, Eric the Red, Johnny Bench, Ken Griffey sr, Barry Larkin etc. Opening day at Riverfront.
Damn dude....you're just as tortured by being born into a family that loved the Bengals as i am. I sincerely feel your pain here! Im a dumbass who just loves punishment because every fall....even after all of these years im still trying to figure out how THIS IS GOING TO BE THE YEAR that god starts to have favor on my Bengals. Usually before November that hope comes crashing down and turns into despair once again.

Damn dude....you're just as tortured by being born into a family that loved the Bengals as i am. I sincerely feel your pain here! Im a dumbass who just loves punishment because every fall....even after all of these years im still trying to figure out how THIS IS GOING TO BE THE YEAR that god starts to have favor on my Bengals. Usually before November that hope comes crashing down and turns into despair once again.

That sweep was one of the most satisfying moments of my childhood! Especially after Davis punctured his kidney in game 1. Everyone expected Oakland to be the team that swept the series.

Larkin, Davis, Parker, Sabo, Rijo, Dibble, actually all of the "nasty boys" , tom Browning....damn that team was so much fun!
It's fun to revisit a blast from the past. Do you remember the earthquake at SF?

Nice call on Sabo and Dibble btw

It's fun to revisit a blast from the past. Do you remember the earthquake at SF?

Nice call on Sabo and Dibble btw
Oh yeah most definitely!

Dear god, thinking back to a younger me when i desperately wanted Marge Schott to be forced to sell the team because i was certain she was what was holding them back and the grass had to be greener over there. I'd do about anything to have her back in the owners box over what we've had since her!

I actually have completely given up on baseball since the late 90s. Ive probably watched 10 games since they didn't resign Larkin. I got tired of watching my 30 million dollar team constantly losing to a 100 million dollar Braves and Yankee teams. Baseball really screwed up imo by not going to a salary cap back in the late 80s when the first players were starting to see a million dollars a year.

Oh yeah most definitely!

Dear god, thinking back to a younger me when i desperately wanted Marge Schott to be forced to sell the team because i was certain she was what was holding them back and the grass had to be greener over there. I'd do about anything to have her back in the owners box over what we've had since her!

I actually have completely given up on baseball since the late 90s. Ive probably watched 10 games since they didn't resign Larkin. I got tired of watching my 30 million dollar team constantly losing to a 100 million dollar Braves and Yankee teams. Baseball really screwed up imo by not going to a salary cap back in the late 80s when the first players were starting to see a million dollars a year.
You get me.

Oh yeah most definitely!

@coryfly is also a big Red's fan.

You at least have Kentucky going for you. As a IU, Bengals and Reds fan....my sports related experiences since the 92-93 basketball season has been astonishingly brutal!
It'll make it all the sweeter when you win .

If Cubs and Red Sox can endure a curse, then we can handle a dry spell.

btw,prior to this thread, I didn't realize I like you.

I collected throughout my youth, Thurman Munson was my favorite player dont ask me why.
Crazy story when I was 14 I went to spend the summer with my grand parents and would tag along to antique stores bargain hunting when I ran across a card I'd never seen before, it was smaller and had my last name and I HAD to have it so my grandma plunked down $40 ( which was a lot in 1980 ) and bought it for me. It turned out it was a very good purchase as it was a 1949 Bowman - Jackie Robinson.

Other notables Every year of Roberto Clemente cards, random Mantles, Fords, Brooks Robinsons, most Royals and still to this day my prized possession a Thurman Munson rookie card.

I collected throughout my youth, Thurman Munson was my favorite player dont ask me why.
Crazy story when I was 14 I went to spend the summer with my grand parents and would tag along to antique stores bargain hunting when I ran across a card I'd never seen before, it was smaller and had my last name and I HAD to have it so my grandma plunked down $40 ( which was a lot in 1980 ) and bought it for me. It turned out it was a very good purchase as it was a 1949 Bowman - Jackie Robinson.

Other notables Every year of Roberto Clemente cards, random Mantles, Fords, Brooks Robinsons, most Royals and still to this day my prized possession a Thurman Munson rookie card.
Do you still have it?

Also, something about Thurman Munson was always catchy. he was a great player, but great player plus great name equals great interest. I used to buy box sets, but after a while I started targeting specific rookie cards. Munson was one of those. Even though I feel like I maximized my profit,I still wish I had the cards. Same with comics.

I used to just look at them. Spread them out and just admire my collection. I don't do that today with anything. Portfolio returns isn't the same.

Last edited:
Do you still have it?

Also, something about Thurman Munson was always catchy. he was a great player, but great player plus great name equals great interest. I used to buy box sets, but after a while I started targeting specific rookie cards. Munson was one of those. Even though I feel like I maximized my profit,I still wish I had the cards. Same with comics.

I used to just look at them. Spread them out and just admire my collection. I don't do that today with anything.
Us 80's and 90's kids completely screwed up any potential for any value for cards made after 1980. Even when a card came out and initially is worth a bunch (like griffeys rookie upper deck card) eventually the bottom falls out because they ended up printing 10k of them.

Reactions: GE Nole
Us 80's and 90's kids completely screwed up any potential for any value for cards made after 1980. Even when a card came out and initially is worth a bunch (like griffeys rookie upper deck card) eventually the bottom falls out because they ended up printing 10k of them.
Shameless plug shannonandfriends2019 on facebook. SmokinSmile

...and yeah, it was great back then, but the worth fell right out. Now it's all about getting pieces of jersey's etc. I talked about our shop earlier, but ppl are still buying so... there's still interest.

Last edited:
Shameless plug shannonandfriends2019 on facebook. SmokinSmile

...and yeah, it was great back then, but the worth fell right out. Now it's all about getting pieces of jersey's etc. I talked about our shop earlier, but ppl are still buying so... there's still interest.
I had no idea you had a store like that. I saw on the business card Arkansas...but do you live in Kentucky?

I had no idea you had a store like that. I saw on the business card Arkansas...but do you live in Kentucky?
That's my brother in law. I'm in Memphis, the shop is across the river. My wife(his sister) and I are his "investor". We're also invested in 4 vape/tobacco shops, but make a living in other fields (nonprofit drug/alcohol treatment for state appointed kids/sales/welding).

edit: born and raised in Kentucky, and can't wait to retire there.

Last edited:
You at least have Kentucky going for you. As a IU, Bengals and Reds fan....my sports related experiences since the 92-93 basketball season has been astonishingly brutal!
Due to living in Seymour/mt vernon in 80-82.I'm have a soft spot for IU.

Some of my closest friends are IU fans.Winking With that said my oldest closest friend is a UNC fan from Kentucky. Not relation to the guy here. I give him more shit for being a presbyterian than a UNC fan.

Last edited:
Due to living in Seymour/mt vernon in 80-82.I'm have a soft spot for IU.

Some of my closest friends are IU fans.Winking With that said my oldest closest friend is a UNC fan from Kentucky. Not relation to the guy here.
Lol you have no idea how quickly my opinion of you had started to dwindle tonothing by that one sentence lol. Im glad you said that it wasn't the guy here...because thats immediately what my mind went to after reading your best friend was a unc fan who lives in Kentucky.

Not sure how familiar you still are with southern Indiana anymore, but i live in the jeffersonville/clarksville area right across from Louisville. Actually, borden was the referee of my daughter's basketball team in high school. This was before i even knew there was a rivals message board. But as soon as i saw his picture i knew exactly who he was.

What part of Kentucky did you grow up in?

Lol you have no idea how quickly my opinion of you had started to dwindle tonothing by that one sentence lol. Im glad you said that it wasn't the guy here...because thats immediately what my mind went to after reading your best friend was a unc fan who lives in Kentucky.

Not sure how familiar you still are with southern Indiana anymore, but i live in the jeffersonville/clarksville area right across from Louisville. Actually, borden was the referee of my daughter's basketball team in high school. This was before i even knew there was a rivals message board. But as soon as i saw his picture i knew exactly who he was.

What part of Kentucky did you grow up in?
I talk to Borden on the phone, facebook friends with his wife.

Yes, UNCfan ky is a stain.

I grew up in Campbellsville. Went to 1,2 grade in Jackson co.They helped me graduate HS at 16,.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT