ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone here someone else's boss?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
It sucks telling someone they're going to get wrote up or fired if they "do that again"

It sucks treating grown ups like children.

With that said, just cooked a homemade pizza with super crispy crust. Those guys could have easy nights if they just did the jobs.

I just accepted a leadership role and I am not excited about having to do this. My hope is that all my coworkers are just awesome and never need me to.
We.re currently shorthanded and it hurts us more than them by firing them. Hoping the write up process works.

Reactions: Da_Bull
I was a HR manager for four years. It's worse than being the Boss because you have to fire people, but it's never really your choice. I was either told to fire the person, or handed a list of people who I then have to fire some of. You have to take the brunt of everyone's frustration without really being able to make your own termination decisions.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I just accepted a leadership role and I am not excited about having to do this. My hope is that all my coworkers are just awesome and never need me to.
Good for you, congrats!
main_900.jpg

I have 8 direct reports and another 20 or so sub contractors that work for me. My boss and anyone else at my "level" (not a subordinate) are 4+ hours away in another state. Not only does it suck having to babysit grown ass men, all of whom are older than me, but I also have no co-workers I can fraternize with or vent to. If I could make the same money or close to it I'd rather not be a boss.

Do they know this? If they know they can do basically whatever they want and not get fired, good luck. Laughing
Of course they know this. Hoping since they were smart enough to get a degree, they're smart enough to not f^ck off during jobs. Or want a reference letter for the missing time on their resume

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I have 8 direct reports and another 20 or so sub contractors that work for me. My boss and anyone else at my "level" (not a subordinate) are 4+ hours away in another state. Not only does it suck having to babysit grown ass men, all of whom are older than me, but I also have no co-workers I can fraternize with or vent to. If I could make the same money or close to it I'd rather not be a boss.
I've found that if you don't take upper management jobs, then the employers view you as incabalbe, disinterested, or unwilling.

Not anymore. I mean, not really, although in a strange way being a teacher is a bit like being a boss, just of a bunch of kids.

Used to be. Toughest day was when I had to tell our hockey equipment guy he was not going to be kept on for the football season, thus depriving him of like four or five months employment, after the owner said initially he could stay on. Had to do it that day, and his family was visiting. It sucked, I liked the guy.

I did like being the boss, though, because I knew shit would get done right. I hate having to delegate to people who are not as good, or having to take orders from people who are not as good.

Was a 24 hour retail drug store manager for 16 years, with 5 assistant managers, 8 pharmacists, and roughly 35 department clerks. It pretty much sucks to manage that many people with their livelihoods in your hands. At any specific time, 10-20% think you're an a-hole, 10-20% think you're a good manager, and the other 60-80% could go either way depending on how you are impacting their lives that particular day. Definitely required thick skin.

Yes, and it can really suck. You want people to do their job because we’re all adults and theoretically professionals, but it can be hard to motivate someone that isn’t naturally motivated.

One of my worst days ever was firing a guy 30 years older than me who started crying when it happened.

Company I work for specializes in matching candidates with jobs. There are all kind of metrics to do that, but one thing I’ve realized is that people are who they are. If hires don’t work out, it’s almost either because they lack the skills or the right personality to be effective in that environment.

So, often times it’s for the best long term on both sides when it’s not working out. If I were you and you’ve made up your mind they suck, I’d start interviews and hire someone the same week you get rid of them — if that’s even feasible.

Flip side to workers sucking is that you have to put yourself in their position. It might be your fault they are disengaged if you’re brutally honest with yourself. If that’s the case, it’s fixable, at least.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Flip side to workers sucking is that you have to put yourself in their position. It might be your fault they are disengaged if you’re brutally honest with yourself. If that’s the case, it’s fixable, at least.

It amazes me how bosses often don’t understand the power of positive reinforcement. When an employee does something good, giving them even a quick “nice job on that”is enough to engender SUCH loyalty from them, which in turn is good for you as a boss for a number of reasons.

One of the most important things I’ve learned as a boss, and something that I wish more bosses really did, and kept up.

I was a supervisor for eight years. Saw a couple that worked for me years later. They worked for a proctologist.. I joked if I was a bad boss. They both said I was an asshole. True story. But there was this one lady that said I was too easy on them. But she also mowed off her big toe, finished mowing, and tried to work the next day. I had to send her home with her blood soaked shoe. Tough, tough woman.

Reactions: bkingUK
No and don't want to be. I have my MA in Leadership and could pursue being a VP and then Principal. I don't want any part of it though. I don't think I could be critical enough of people tbh. I don't really like telling people what to do anyway. I just like doing my own thing. I also don't need any sort of affirmation or pat on the back either. Give all that reinforcement to those who need it.

No and don't want to be. I have my MA in Leadership and could pursue being a VP and then Principal. I don't want any part of it though. I don't think I could be critical enough of people tbh. I don't really like telling people what to do anyway. I just like doing my own thing. I also don't need any sort of affirmation or pat on the back either. Give all that reinforcement to those who need it.

You find that, as a male in education, administrators and the like generally sort of assume you would want, or even try to push you a little towards, admin or similar leadership positions?

You find that, as a male in education, administrators and the like generally sort of assume you would want, or even try to push you a little towards, admin or similar leadership positions?

I had some of that for a while. I think they have given up at this point though, lol.

I had some of that for a while. I think they have given up at this point though, lol.

Funny, same experience with me. I do think there is a tendency in education for people to look at men for leadership roles, even though we are really the minority overall.

Yeah, I mean I'm 21 years in so it isn't too late or anything but my kids are only 9 and 13 so I feel like I would want them to be older first and by that time I'll be about ready to retire (hopefully...probably not though, haha).

Yeah, I mean I'm 21 years in so it isn't too late or anything but my kids are only 9 and 13 so I feel like I would want them to be older first and by that time I'll be about ready to retire (hopefully...probably not though, haha).

Are you in NC, Cory? Teachers have it tough down there, much respect, wish it was better for you guys down there... North Carolina should be an excellent place to get an education, and an excellent one for those that provide it... too much going for it, too many excellent schools.

This is how I feel too, but my profession is hard for people to do until retirement and also I don’t feel like being a gross ass man having to ass kiss fresh out of school residents for the rest of my career.

Oh no, I'm in Tennessee. From what I've heard about NC we have it much better here.

Oh no, I'm in Tennessee. From what I've heard about NC we have it much better here.

Oh, good... although I can’t imagine Tenn is an easy place for education, either? The south really does struggle with funding and the like.

I was for a while, on my side gig. Fortunately I had the full confidence of my boss on hiring and I hired excellent people who knew they had my support and who made me look good.

At first I thought you were talking about the entire state in general and Laughing.
Then I realized you were talking about public ed and :(.

So 3 people got wrote up. None fired. Had one guy come back at me like I was attacking him.

I wanted to say "Dude, I'm a big ol softy and don't want to talk to you ever", instead I had to bring the thunder and said, 'Just do what we hired you for. You came to us, and not the other way around".

In charge/manager of 10-15 software engineers and web developers. Sometimes it’s crazy the personality issues I have to deal with while also trying to maintain egos in a room of brilliant people, some of whom aren’t quite as brilliant at all the things they think they are.

Reactions: bkingUK
So 3 people got wrote up. None fired. Had one guy come back at me like I was attacking him.

I wanted to say "Dude, I'm a big ol softy and don't want to talk to you ever", instead I had to bring the thunder and said, 'Just do what we hired you for. You came to us, and not the other way around".
Throat punch the biggest of the group. Assert dominance.

I have over 900 people working under me. It's not easy. You have to start by having a great orientation and training system where the expectations are all laid out and understood by every single person you lead:

After that, you have to be consistent when a behavior, system, attitude, or expectation is not met/performed properly or up to standard. There is a very simple coaching method to use when this doesn't happen. Sit the team member down and go through the following:

- Do you understand the expectation (make sure they do, if they don't, tell them)

- repeat it back to me (make them repeat it back to you - has to be correct; don't let them get out of doing that)

- ask them what the obstacles are keeping them from meeting that expectation

- help them remove the obstacles (do not do it for them, but help them do it)

- accent a positive - something they do well; then tell them it doesn't help that they do that well if they can't meet the expectation you're discussing.

- get them to commit to you they will change that behavior and do what you need them to do; make them say it to you, don't let them just say "I will"; make them say it completely.

- tell them matter-of-factly that you need them and depend on them, but if they do not do what they are committing to, you will fire them. Also tell them that you will not have this type of conversation again; next time will just be a documentation on paper (short and sweet).

- follow up with feedback. If they do it moving forward, celebrate it publicly.

If they do not, do the following:

- have them sign a written warning / documentation

- fire them.

If you do this consistently, you will have minimal issues. This is behavior changing. You are addressing the behavior and not making it personal. They are commiting to you; if they fail, they are firing themselves. You will feel much less regret, as you put the burden on them. Best part is, they know that immediately; so when you do fire them, they know it's coming. Also, 99% of the time, they don't blame you and still appreciate your dedication in trying to help them.

Do this and you will have a lot of good people. If you fail to hold accountable, you will have a lot of bad ones. This whole coaching conversation takes about 10 minutes max. It's not hard. But you just have to do it a lot in the beginning; until everyone knows you don't f@$k around.

Hope this helps.

I have over 900 people working under me. It's not easy. You have to start by having a great orientation and training system where the expectations are all laid out and understood by every single person you lead:

After that, you have to be consistent when a behavior, system, attitude, or expectation is not met/performed properly or up to standard. There is a very simple coaching method to use when this doesn't happen. Sit the team member down and go through the following:

- Do you understand the expectation (make sure they do, if they don't, tell them)

- repeat it back to me (make them repeat it back to you - has to be correct; don't let them get out of doing that)

- accent a positive - something they do well; then tell them it doesn't help that they do that well if they can't meet the expectation you're discussing.

- get them to commit to you they will change that behavior and do what you need them to do; make them say it to you, don't let them just say "I will"; make them say it completely.

- tell them matter-of-factly that you need them and depend on them, but if they do not do what they are committing to, you will fire them. Also tell them that you will not have this type of conversation again; next time will just be a documentation on paper (short and sweet).

- fire them.

If you do this consistently, you will have minimal issues. This is behavior changing. You are addressing the behavior and not making it personal. They are commiting to you; if they fail, they are firing themselves. You will feel much less regret, as you put the burden on them. Best part is, they know that immediately; so when you do fire them, they know it's coming. Also, 99% of the time, they don't blame you and still appreciate your dedication in trying to help them.

Do this and you will have a lot of good people. If you fail to hold accountable, you will have a lot of bad ones. This whole coaching conversation takes about 10 minutes max. It's not hard. But you just have to do it a lot in the beginning; until everyone knows you don't f@$k around.

Hope this helps.

Sounds to me like you need an applicant tracking system. Might be able to help.

- fire them.

Hope this helps.
900 people?

What do you do?

ADVERTISEMENT