ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone going to Gen Con?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Not sure if there are any gamers here, but is anyone going to Gen Con?

It’s a game convention. No idea what it is like, have never been there:)

It’s a game convention. No idea what it is like, have never been there:)

Yeah don’t know a lot about it but used to work with guys who are hardcore LARPers and that’s where I get my underground super nerd info.

If you don’t know what LARPing is...They dress up as wizards and knights, rent cabins in the woods and stay in character all weekend while they play some kind of role playing game.

But I made them explain this GenCon to me as it was their Woodstock and they took off every year. Sounded basically like a table top game expo. Like a Comic-Con for board games. Best I can gather. It’s petty big I think.

Reactions: tw3301
Ugh. I can’t stand nerds. Is that wrong to say?
Why do you not like nerds? And I guess what type of nerd are you talking about? Lots of different types of folks like to call themselves nerds these days. If you’re talking about the Larpers then I might agree with you although I rarely ever interact with people like that.

Why do you not like nerds? And I guess what type of nerd are you talking about? Lots of different types of folks like to call themselves nerds these days. If you’re talking about the Larpers then I might agree with you although I rarely ever interact with people like that.

Yeah, i don’t mean folks who like Marvel movies or whatever... I mean folks who dress up like they are a wizard and have no social skills... ugh. No thanks. I think it really comes down to no social skills.

I've never been to the Geneva Convention, I'd love to go
quote-in-1945-peace-broke-out-it-was-the-end-of-the-joke-joke-warfare-was-banned-at-a-special-graham-chapman-34-76-39.jpg

Yeah don’t know a lot about it but used to work with guys who are hardcore LARPers and that’s where I get my underground super nerd info.

If you don’t know what LARPing is...They dress up as wizards and knights, rent cabins in the woods and stay in character all weekend while they play some kind of role playing game.

But I made them explain this GenCon to me as it was their Woodstock and they took off every year. Sounded basically like a table top game expo. Like a Comic-Con for board games. Best I can gather. It’s petty big I think.
so it's like the movie Role Models.

Last edited:
I game some(for the next 5 months or so until my kids are born at least), but have no desire to go hang out with a bunch of gamers at a convention.

Don’t you collect swords and make army men for people? I mean, having seen your basement pics, you sound like quite the kettle here.

Oh, I know... Iguess I see it sort of as that socially awkward, complete buy in thing… Like dressing up as a wizardor something? I just can’t get behind that. Love of military history doesn’t seem the same. Eye of the beholder, I suppose?

Reactions: 829305
Oh, I know... Iguess I see it sort of as that socially awkward, complete buy in thing… Like dressing up as a wizardor something? I just can’t get behind that. Love of military history doesn’t seem the same. Eye of the beholder, I suppose?
To each his own, bud. Jussayin.

To each his own, bud. Jussayin.

For sure... I just feel like once guns are involved, it’s hard to keep it nerd, you know?

*cue someone finding some ridiculous image of some nerdy guy with a pocket protector holding an AR(

There is a difference in a redneck and his guns and yours. No offense. Unless you own more than you've told us I wouldn't really consider you a "gun guy".

You all don’t understand LARP culture. To a LARP guy, it’s the people who don’t LARP who are weird. Because who wouldn’t want to go in the middle of the woods and act like a goblin whole hooking up with an elf chick?

Seriously, if you’re a nerdy guy, this is your way to get laid. According to LARP elders, it happens. But just because you get laid in game doesn’t mean you get laid out of game. You have to crossover.

Also, they correspond between LARP events in character, which opens up the possibility of LARP sexting. It’s genius.

There is a difference in a redneck and his guns and yours. No offense. Unless you own more than you've told us I wouldn't really consider you a "gun guy".

No kidding there’s a difference between me and a “redneck and his guns.” Not everyone’s got a bunch of beautiful flintlocks and percussion cap weapons hanging on their walls, along with original swords and packs and other stuff... ;) I don’t particularly care if you think of me as a gun guy or not, but if not, you seem to have a really limited definition. Regardless, generally speaking, in the Venn Diagram of guys with guns on their walls and nerds, there isn’t a ton of overlap, which was the point.

You all don’t understand LARP culture. To a LARP guy, it’s the people who don’t LARP who are weird. Because who wouldn’t want to go in the middle of the woods and act like a goblin whole hooking up with an elf chick?

Seriously, if you’re a nerdy guy, this is your way to get laid. According to LARP elders, it happens. But just because you get laid in game doesn’t mean you get laid out of game. You have to crossover.

Also, they correspond between LARP events in character, which opens up the possibility of LARP sexting. It’s genius.

There is a great documentary in there somewhere.

No kidding there’s a difference between me and a “redneck and his guns.” Not everyone’s got a bunch of beautiful flintlocks and percussion cap weapons hanging on their walls, along with original swords and packs and other stuff... ;) I don’t particularly care if you think of me as a gun guy or not, but if not, you seem to have a really limited definition. Regardless, generally speaking, in the Venn Diagram of guys with guns on their walls and nerds, there isn’t a ton of overlap, which was the point.

Oh, man. Original swords? Why didn't you say so!

Not a gamer, but I went in 2015 with my brother who is one. Actually had a decent time

Its just you always say you are a gun owner but you believe in banning this or that, more gun control for this, etc... Yet the only firearms you own(or tell us about) a felon can legally own and you can buy without any background checks. I don't think anyone would consider that a gun guy. More like you just so happen to have a hobby that involves awesome guns.

PS-I'm not hating on your guns or your collection. I love them and have a few flintlocks hanging in my basement. Never shot them though, just use them as decoration pieces. So kudos to you for actually shooting yours. I don't mean for this to come off as offensive or to be a jerk or anything. I still love you.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Its just you always say you are a gun owner but you believe in banning this or that, more gun control for this, etc... Yet the only firearms you own(or tell us about) a felon can legally own and you can buy without any background checks. I don't think anyone would consider that a gun guy. More like you just so happen to have a hobby that involves awesome guns.

PS-I'm not hating on your guns or your collection. I love them and have a few flintlocks hanging in my basement. Never shot them though, just use them as decoration pieces. So kudos to you for actually shooting yours. I don't mean for this to come off as offensive or to be a jerk or anything. I still love you.

No no, that’s fine... a bit off topic, but not sure this topic is going anywhere else.

Not sure what you mean about your legal bits there... Im pretty sure I went through all the same paperwork to get the old guns as you would any other long gun... gun permit, fingerprinting, etc.

And that’s okay, if you don’t consider it being a gun guy. I just think your definition is a bit limited... like, if you think the only definition of gun guy is a redneck with a locker full of modern guns and an NRA membership and who feels there should be no restrictions on gun ownership... I think that seems limited, although I would wager some people would agree. I’d define gun guy as “someone who enjoys shooting, is a capable shooter, enjoys the history of guns, enjoys the art and mechanics of guns, and owns guns.”

On an aside, still thinking about picking up a pistol. Biggest positive is obvious. Negative is really just that guns generally make it more likely that someone in the house gets shot. I know how often I used to sneak looks at my dads guns... wouldn’t want my kids doing the same. Still, at some point, I will have to pick something up... although I might give in and pick up a Colt 1851 Navy revolver:)

Reactions: I am stupid
The legal bit is that black powder and percussion guns do not require background checks or anything. The ATF classifies them as antiques so they are not regulated. Strange, but that's the laws.

If you want a modern handgun, smith has a $25-50 rebate the next month and some websites have great prices right now.

Also, my favorite gun was given to me a few years ago. Was my grandpa's 1917 S&W US Army 45.

ADVERTISEMENT