ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone care about (exhibition) basketball being played?

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
FSU is in Canada playing some uni teams. Beat Ottawa U by 20-ish and defending champs Carleton by 35-ish. Not sure the scores ultimately matter, as we have been working all kinds of lineups and sets.

Also noteworthy that it’s not a full compliment of players for the Noles, as Matthew Cleveland is in a boot and Baba Miller doesn’t arrive from Europe until later this month. But still great practice for the guys playing.

Caleb Mills has been able to get whatever he wants. 24 points (on 11-16 shooting), 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers in the most recent game. And Darin Green is 8-20 from three in the two games combined.

Happy to answer any questions as best as I can from ACC fans or just those who want to talk real basketball. They play one more game tomorrow.

I only care to the extent of wanting to see the newcomers to my team. And to alleviate any fears of an embarrassing exhibition loss to some no name team.

Hmm, that would be interesting to hear the Carleton coach compare UK to FSU. I’m gonna guess Oscar demolishes them. We (FSU) don’t have anyone close to that.
Carleton is having a down year. They've beaten quite a few US teams in the past. And Duke ducked them on their Canadian tour lol

Nobody has anyone like Oscar 😁. He's unbelievable. We were lucky to have gotten him. I imagine we'll see plenty of line ups without Oscar. I'm pumped to see Wallace, Reeves, Frederick, Toppin, Livingston and Collins.

The Cats were suppose to play the Dominican U22 team, instead they got their Select Team.
UK 108 Select Team 56

Our freshman don't look like freshman. Lots of dunks... Collins wow! Team 42% from the 3. Good defense and they play fast. Reeves was a great pickup. Thiero was a pleasant surprise. You could tell our guys were ready to play other than against themselves. They are going to be fun to watch!

The Cats were suppose to play the Dominican U22 team, instead they got their Select Team.
UK 108 Select Team 56

Our freshman don't look like freshman. Lots of dunks... Collins wow! Team 42% from the 3. Good defense and they play fast. Reeves was a great pickup. Thiero was a pleasant surprise. You could tell our guys were ready to play other than against themselves. They are going to be fun to watch!
Not one team in Canada is on par with any team in the SEC....much less the top teams of CBB. Carleton is a Canadian powerhouse---won 16 of past 19 national titles----winning streaks of 81 and 54---down a bit this year----yet a shorthanded, rebuilding FSU team beat them by 35...

I;d put zero stock in this trip, type of games.

With that being said, the eyes tell you UK has the parts to be really, really good.

UK beat the brakes off some crappy Mexican team tonight 102-40. Up next is Carleton on Saturday night and Bahamas on Sunday to finish off the exhibition trip.

3a78277d-uk-monterrey-box-score.jpg

Not one team in Canada is on par with any team in the SEC....much less the top teams of CBB. Carleton is a Canadian powerhouse---won 16 of past 19 national titles----winning streaks of 81 and 54---down a bit this year----yet a shorthanded, rebuilding FSU team beat them by 35...

With that being said, the eyes tell you UK has the parts to be really, really good.

You’re spot on. I tried to say that in my original post. That the scores don’t really mean much. But you can still take a little from how the guys are meshing or someone who’s improved their conditioning or shot mechanics.

As for FSU, short handed, yes. Rebuilding?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I don't put any stock in the competition. But the eye test on our guys is very good at this point. They play hard, play fast and share the ball. And we are long and athletic as hell. Its August and there's basketball! And as I said before our freshman don't look like freshman.

Carelton is down this year so I expect another huge blowout. But they have beaten some pretty good US teams in the past.

mex-130479-1024x538.jpg

Last edited:
Theiro is a nice example of Antigua returning. Coleman, Jai, etc do a nice job, but Antigua was doing it while they were elsewhere. His years with UK produced competitive teams. Antigua leaves; we went to B- talent. Antigua returns; you start seeing crazy threads like “UK Working on Megaclass?

I can't see Thiero starting. He'll get minutes though and he's been a pleasant surprise. Chris Livingston on the other hand.... That's gonna be a bad dude and he should start IMO. If not, he better get a lot of minutes. He does everything, and does everything well. Seems like a winning player. Really like what I've seen from him.

I can't see Thiero starting. He'll get minutes though and he's been a pleasant surprise. Chris Livingston on the other hand.... That's gonna be a bad dude and he should start IMO. If not, he better get a lot of minutes. He does everything, and does everything well. Seems like a winning player. Really like what I've seen from him.
I don’t think he’ll start, but I hope he gets enough minutes to replace anyone who isn’t producing.

FSU is in Canada playing some uni teams. Beat Ottawa U by 20-ish and defending champs Carleton by 35-ish. Not sure the scores ultimately matter, as we have been working all kinds of lineups and sets.

Also noteworthy that it’s not a full compliment of players for the Noles, as Matthew Cleveland is in a boot and Baba Miller doesn’t arrive from Europe until later this month. But still great practice for the guys playing.

Caleb Mills has been able to get whatever he wants. 24 points (on 11-16 shooting), 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers in the most recent game. And Darin Green is 8-20 from three in the two games combined.

Happy to answer any questions as best as I can from ACC fans or just those who want to talk real basketball. They play one more game tomorrow.
Bama plays the Chinese National Team in Paris @12:30 CT today. I have no idea how good they are, but if they are anything like the Spain Select team or the Lithuania Mens B, Bama will win by 50.
Not interested in winning exhibition game by huge margins like that.
I'm hoping the Chinese Team is much better.
I just found out the Chinese have 2 7 footers that were both grafted in the second round of the NBA Draft.
They are ranked 29th in FIBA. The Israel team that beat Auburn is ranked 42nd in FIBA
We have our work cut out for us today.

Last edited:
I don’t think he’ll start, but I hope he gets enough minutes to replace anyone who isn’t producing.
This is how I see it shaking out:
1 - Wheeler/Wallace/Thiero
2 - Wallace/Fredrick
3 - Reeves/Livingston
4 - Toppin/Collins
5 - Tshiebwe/Ware

Cal isn't going to platoon again but Livingston, Collins, and Fredrick will all see plenty of minutes even if they're coming off the bench. That's a solid 8-man rotation for Cal. Could easily see Livingston starting over Reeves eventually just due to his versatility and rebounding ability, especially if Reeves lags behind on the defensive end. Ware and Thiero I don't expect will play as much as the rest of them simply because the guys ahead of them are just going to be significantly better and Wheeler and Oscar will both play 30+ minutes. Thiero can play 1 through 3 though (especially since he'll prob be 6'11" by the end of the season 😂), so that versatility might be helpful for him. Although he has played well in the Bahamas thus far, he still has a lot to learn and a ways to go before he cracks the regular rotation, IMO.

This is how I see it shaking out:
1 - Wheeler/Wallace/Thiero
2 - Wallace/Fredrick
3 - Reeves/Livingston
4 - Toppin/Collins
5 - Tshiebwe/Ware

Cal isn't going to platoon again but Livingston, Collins, and Fredrick will all see plenty of minutes even if they're coming off the bench. That's a solid 8-man rotation for Cal. Could easily see Livingston starting over Reeves eventually just due to his versatility and rebounding ability, especially if Reeves lags behind on the defensive end. Ware and Thiero I don't expect will play as much as the rest of them simply because the guys ahead of them are just going to be significantly better and Wheeler and Oscar will both play 30+ minutes. Thiero can play 1 through 3 though (especially since he'll prob be 6'11" by the end of the season 😂), so that versatility might be helpful for him. Although he has played well in the Bahamas thus far, he still has a lot to learn and a ways to go before he cracks the regular rotation, IMO.
Agreed. That’s a nice lineup too. I’m just glad we finally have a wider margin for off nights, injuries etc. This is as talented a team as we’ve seen in a few years.

I’m starting to wonder if Darin Green might actually start for FSU? UCF transfer who can stroke it. Went 13-30 from deep in 3 games in Canada. Also contributed in several other areas.

With Matthew Cleveland being a non-shooter, FSU really got bogged down last year with Anthony Polite and Malik Osborne hurt because there was no one to stretch the D. Green seems like he could be just what the doctor ordered.

Something else that was interesting @dukedevilz, Caleb Mills took 49 shots in three games and just ONE was a three. He went 28-48 from 2. I’m assuming he was just working on getting to his spots, because he can def make the three. But still found it odd.

Bama plays the Chinese National Team in Paris @12:30 CT today. I have no idea how good they are, but if they are anything like the Spain Select team or the Lithuania Mens B, Bama will win by 50.
Not interested in winning exhibition game by huge margins like that.
I'm hoping the Chinese Team is much better.
I just found out the Chinese have 2 7 footers that were both grafted in the second round of the NBA Draft.
They are ranked 29th in FIBA. The Israel team that beat Auburn is ranked 42nd in FIBA
We have our work cut out for us today.
Bama up at the half 41-35.....to close for comfort.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Halftime
UK - 55
Carleton - 19

The jumpers are falling for UK, especially for Toppin.

Final
UK - 118
Carleton - 56

Toppin (and Reeves) continued pouring in smooth jumpers in the 2nd half. Defense wasn't good in the final 20, especially the scrub walk-ons in the last 4 minutes.

Screenshot-2022-08-13-200503.png

Screenshot-2022-08-13-200533.png

I’m starting to wonder if Darin Green might actually start for FSU? UCF transfer who can stroke it. Went 13-30 from deep in 3 games in Canada. Also contributed in several other areas.

With Matthew Cleveland being a non-shooter, FSU really got bogged down last year with Anthony Polite and Malik Osborne hurt because there was no one to stretch the D. Green seems like he could be just what the doctor ordered.

Something else that was interesting @dukedevilz, Caleb Mills took 49 shots in three games and just ONE was a three. He went 28-48 from 2. I’m assuming he was just working on getting to his spots, because he can def make the three. But still found it odd.

I'd guess it's by design. Offseason exhibition games against inferior opponents is a great time to experiment and try different modes of attack.

If Mills is able to average 30 minutes a game, I'll go with a semi-bold pick and say he breaks your dry spell of 10+ years without a 1st Team All-Conference performer. Who was the last one to do it? Toney Douglas, maybe?

I'm also excited to see the progression of Jalen Warley. Feel like he should have a breakout year.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I'd guess it's by design. Offseason exhibition games against inferior opponents is a great time to experiment and try different modes of attack.

If Mills is able to average 30 minutes a game, I'll go with a semi-bold pick and say he breaks your dry spell of 10+ years without a 1st Team All-Conference performer. Who was the last one to do it? Toney Douglas, maybe?

I'm also excited to see the progression of Jalen Warley. Feel like he should have a breakout year.

Probably right about by design. I’m not sure he averages 30 min. That would be the very top end of what I’d expect. But it’s possible.

Yes, I believe you’re correct that Toney was the last one. I feel like Mills would join the long list of guys we’ve had who were 2nd team.

Warley is having a nice offseason.

Reactions: dukedevilz
UK vs Carleton 118-56.

Watched the first 5 minutes only. Wish they had scheduled somebody a little tougher during the trip, but oh well.

No, don't care at all. But, I'm ok with you caring.

ADVERTISEMENT