ADVERTISEMENT

Any neurosurgeons on this board?

Scotty00

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
To make a long story short I’ll just say that my son came home one day last August from playing basketball at the local park and said his knee was bothering him a little bit. As time went on his limp got worse and worse so we went to see a doctor and they thought he had possibly damaged his ACL. They did two different MRIs and found nothing and then did an MRI on his lower back spinal cord and brain and found that he has one possibly two cyst under his spinal cord pressing against it. Because of the location they can’t remove the cyst but they can surgically go in and drain them and said that would take the pressure off of the spinal cord. We were told that they were unsure if he would ever walk normal again without a limp but it was possible. We have an appointment in Vanderbilt with a neurosurgeon on Friday to see when surgery will be. I just wanted to see if anybody has dealt with anything like this before.

Very sorry to hear this. I recently had a wreck and fractured a vert. Im seeing some nurse in skyline that works under the nierosurgeon number 6 when u call the neurosurgeons office in skyline. Her name is (Dr?) Ewin. Shes nice and stuff but good call on goong to Vandy imo, bc she will see me then send me for xrays instead of doing the xrays first which runs me the wrong way. Like my 6 weeks appt we talked about my 2 weeks x rays like wtf.

Hope everything turns out ok, prayers are up for u and ur son and the fam, thats very terrible to hear.

Reactions: Scotty00
I haven’t so I can’t add much to the conversation, but I wanted to say I’m really sorry to hear this and am hoping for the best for you and your family through this difficult time.

To make a long story short I’ll just say that my son came home one day last August from playing basketball at the local park and said his knee was bothering him a little bit. As time went on his limp got worse and worse so we went to see a doctor and they thought he had possibly damaged his ACL. They did two different MRIs and found nothing and then did an MRI on his lower back spinal cord and brain and found that he has one possibly two cyst under his spinal cord pressing against it. Because of the location they can’t remove the cyst but they can surgically go in and drain them and said that would take the pressure off of the spinal cord. We were told that they were unsure if he would ever walk normal again without a limp but it was possible. We have an appointment in Vanderbilt with a neurosurgeon on Friday to see when surgery will be. I just wanted to see if anybody has dealt with anything like this before.
Wow, that is a blow to receive. I will pray for the best outcome of this surgery and ask God to grant your family comfort as you go down this road.

I hate to hear that man. I'll pray for your son and your family.

I recently had a cyst removed on my arm, right bicep. It appeared last September at the beach in Hilton Head and progressed to get worse until I had to suck it up and go see theempathy. I seriously went from a little hard spot to something the size of a tennis ball. It was gnarly. Two courses of antibiotics didn't fight it off, so I had to go in to Central Baptist for outpatient surgery. That was in May. It's still healing and slightly oozing even today, so take that for what its worth.

Obviously can't offer any helpful medical advice, just my own recent experience and empathy. I opted to take rhe conservative approach with mine and it sounds like that's what your doctor is recommending here, which I don't blame him considering the location..

I would add that I had very little discomfort after the surgery. Based on what you've told us, I personally would opt to do what the doctor says. Best case he drains it and treats it with antibiotics and it's no longer an issue. Worst case it comes back causing your son more leg discomfort and at that point you'll have a more invasive surgery option to weigh in on.

Hope for the best bud!

Really appreciate the kind words. Just kinda wanted to see if anyone has ever had anything like this happen to them. Pretty sure I’m more nervous than my son is for the fact that he loves sports and I know what it will do to him if he’s told he can never play sports again. Appreciate the prayers.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Really appreciate the kind words. Just kinda wanted to see if anyone has ever had anything like this happen to them. Pretty sure I’m more nervous than my son is for the fact that he loves sports and I know what it will do to him if he’s told he can never play sports again. Appreciate the prayers.
Hope everything goes well. Keep up updated. Were they confident this would be a one-time thing or will the cyst(s) have to be drained regularly if they fill up with fluid again?

They said they won’t be sure until they get in and do surgery. Hopefully one time and that will be it. I’m sure they’ll have him come back a few times a year to make sure it’s not growing.

I know some people who have dealt with cysts but not in that location. However, if you are dealing with Vanderbilt you will get as good of a treatment as you could ask for IMO. Good luck with everything. Certainly hope for the best.

a friend of mine's daughter had something similar
she had a cyst on her spine that was causing her problems walking
she had surgery and is doing fine now
that was about ten years ago, she just graduated college

We met with a doctor at Vandy and he pretty much just talked with us and had Tucker walk and things like that. We go August 12th to get dye injected into his back and to have a CT scan done and then on August 19th (my bday) we meet with the head neurosurgeon and at that point we set a date for surgery. All we know forsure really is that they will have to drain the cyst and put a small tube in it to keep it from growing back. Won’t know if it can be removed until we have the CT scan.

I really appreciate the comments and prayers and I know Tucker does also. Absolutely the hardest thing ever seeing your kid in this kind of situation.

Awful news to hear and wish him and your family nothing but the best. Gotta be heart wrenching feeling that pain for your own son. Vandy is the best place around so that decision was a perfect one, have family members in the Nashville medical community, some with over 40 years of experience, they all say Vandy is the best. Prayers for you and him, stay strong for your son, God's plan will be done.

Just a small update, we went back to Vandy on August 19th and met with Dr. Schwartz, the neurosurgeon who will be performing the surgery on Aug 31st. They had sent Tucker a week prior to get some kind of test done where they put dye in his back so they could see more of what’s going on and the reading from that is that tuckers spinal cord or a small piece of it anyway has worked its way out of the protective tubing that surrounds the spinal cord and protects it. Dr. Swartz explained how the surgery would go and told us upfront that with Tucker being as young and athletic as he is he would expect some recovery in the leg but he wasn’t sure how much. He said with any surgery there are risk but he didn’t foresee any trouble and thought it would go smoothly. He said if we didn’t get the surgery that over Tom Tucker would become paralyzed. No matter how ready you think are when you hear things like this about you kid it’s absolutely devastating. Any and all prayers are more appreciated than you could ever know!

I cant even imagine what yall are going thru, but i hope for the best and hope all goes well with the surgery and will keep praying for yall. Hang in there.

Just a small update, we went back to Vandy on August 19th and met with Dr. Schwartz, the neurosurgeon who will be performing the surgery on Aug 31st. They had sent Tucker a week prior to get some kind of test done where they put dye in his back so they could see more of what’s going on and the reading from that is that tuckers spinal cord or a small piece of it anyway has worked its way out of the protective tubing that surrounds the spinal cord and protects it. Dr. Swartz explained how the surgery would go and told us upfront that with Tucker being as young and athletic as he is he would expect some recovery in the leg but he wasn’t sure how much. He said with any surgery there are risk but he didn’t foresee any trouble and thought it would go smoothly. He said if we didn’t get the surgery that over Tom Tucker would become paralyzed. No matter how ready you think are when you hear things like this about you kid it’s absolutely devastating. Any and all prayers are more appreciated than you could ever know!
Just a terrible situation, but if there’s any positive it sounds like you find yourself in good hands and that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Will definitely send prayers your way.

Well we are at Vandy and he’s been in surgery for about an hour now. Didn’t think I would be this nervous but I’m a damn nervous wreck. All prayers appreciated!!!
Best wishes to Tucker.

Surgery went well yesterday but the doctors told us that it would take time to see what the results will be. Said there are only a handful of these surgeries done in the US yearly because it’s so uncommon. They got Tucker up to walk this morning and he got really dizzy so they said they will try again later today. Appreciate the good thoughts and prayers!

ADVERTISEMENT