ADVERTISEMENT

Allen Fieldhouse

Best venue I've ever been to for any sport. Been quite a few times. Chills every time. Ears ring every time.

Went to a game against Missouri in 2002 or so and they gave the students those bang sticks. Loudest sporting event I've ever attended.

Best venue I've ever been to for any sport. Been quite a few times. Chills every time. Ears ring every time.

Went to a game against Missouri in 2002 or so and they gave the students those bang sticks. Loudest sporting event I've ever attended.
I was at that game myself. Loved those thundersticks. By far the loudest sporting event I’ve ever been to. The game with Arthur Johnson, Trayvon Bryant, Kareem Rush etc. Missouri 2012 was as well.

My ears were @died after 2012 MU game. Couldn't hear for like 3 days after.

Rock chalk!!!

Went to every game while I was at Kansas, and took it for granted (as I did with most thing from my youth). Been to a handful of games in my adult life, and have taken my kids to two. Absolutely the best venue in sports, and should be on everyone’s bucket list.

Reactions: KisteK

Come on, Preston.... you can’t really think you are going to get a Duke grad and former tent #1er to put much faith in a top ten athletic venue list that doesn’t include Cameron, do you? ;) It was voted on by people... just randoms. A lot more people went to Kansas and can get into games there than Cameron.

SI, which is actual experts and not randoms who maybe never even went to a game there, put Cameron at number 4 in the list of top sporting venues of the 20th century. ESPN named it the second best overall sports venue in the history of ESPN. I’ll take it.

Last edited:
Come on, Preston.... you can’t really think you are going to get a Duke grad and former tent #1er to put much faith in a top ten athletic venue list that doesn’t include Cameron, do you? ;) It was voted on by people... just randoms. A lot more people went to Kansas and can get into games there than Cameron.

SI, which is actual experts and not randoms who maybe never even went to a game there, put Cameron at number 4 in the list of top sporting venues of the 20th century. ESPN named it the second best overall sports venue in the history of ESPN. I’ll take it.
Why would anybody put any faith in this when it doesn’t have AFH in its top 10? And aren’t masses of people more reliable than a handful of sports writers? I mean this really should be more of a fan thing than an “expert” thing considering the only people who attend these stadiums are actual fans.

http://www.goduke.com/pdf6/53088.pdf

Reactions: evsprt03

Just found it funny, but no, I don’t expect a Dukie to recognize a list without Cameron, and frankly, every top 10 list should have Cameron included. Can’t argue with that. Still, doesn’t take away from AFH being a bucket list venue, and honestly one of the top places to see a game. I haven’t been to another historic arena besides Wrigley, and that was amazing. Someday I’ll get to Cameron. When I do, the first round of beers is on you. :)

Reactions: TheDude1
Made it to see Kansas close out at home for number 12 vs. Texas Tech. First time at the phog. The museum and venue is worth it. Never knew back in the day basketballs had seams like footballs. Imo a must see for any sports fan.

Reactions: npreston

Got to go to Cameron when I lived in NC. Fun atmosphere. Too choreographed for my taste, though.

Got to go to Cameron when I lived in NC. Fun atmosphere. Too choreographed for my taste, though.

It’s interesting, there weren’t cheer sheets back when I was there. Not sure when that started... but I am not shocked at Duke students being over organized:)

It’s interesting, there weren’t cheer sheets back when I was there. Not sure when that started... but I am not shocked at Duke students being over organized:)
When I attended Centre College, we had cheer sheets for our soccer team. :oops:

We also had couches. Everyone brought their couch from the dorm rooms to the field to watch the games. Never set them on fire though.

giphy.gif

Allen Fieldhouse. Nothing else to do in that state.

I would love to see a game there someday and visit the Naismith HOF. Funny I am seeing this thread as I am currently watching the 30 for 30 when the KU fan rounded up the troops to win the original rules at auction and bring them back to Lawrence. KU was trying to thwart the whole process too.... jackasses! The rules would be at DUKE if not for that! Sick

ADVERTISEMENT