ADVERTISEMENT

All-time Best Teams in Each Conference?

A couple of conferences are locked down but there's some argument for others.
It depends on your definition with the Big Ten.

IU obviously has the most postseason history. MSU has the more recent postseason success.

But if you are talking regular season and particular conference success, it is Purdue. Purdue already holds more B1G titles and is likely to win another this year. They also have a winning record vs every B1G opponent.

IU obviously has the most postseason history. MSU has the more recent postseason success.

But if you are talking regular season and particular conference success, it is Purdue. Purdue already holds more B1G titles and is likely to win another this year. They also have a winning record vs every B1G opponent.
I took it as asking who the best team a conference produced, i.e. 1976 Indiana......

I think

Program or team?

For the ACC, UNC is the all time best program.

Best team? Maybe one of the 90s Duke teams? Or maybe David Thompson NC State team?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Just curious but who has the most wins in each conference?

5 of the 6 wins leaders look about right, as far as the best team from each conference. But, definitely wouldn't take St. John's over UConn or Villanova.

POWER 6
Big 12: Kansas- 2,381
SEC: Kentucky- 2,373
ACC: North Carolina- 2,341
Pac 12: UCLA- 1,980
Big East: St. John's- 1,921
Big Ten: Indiana- 1,910

5 of the 6 wins leaders look about right, as far as the best team from each conference. But, definitely wouldn't take St. John's over UConn or Villanova.

POWER 6
Big 12: Kansas- 2,381
SEC: Kentucky- 2,373
ACC: North Carolina- 2,341
Pac 12: UCLA- 1,980
Big East: St. John's- 1,921
Big Ten: Indiana- 1,910
what about the Great Midwest Conference?

Michigan comfortably has the most postseason success over the past decade. MSU if you go back two decades.

Reactions: boilerzz
Is that the league that lasted for like 4 years lol? Did anyone besides Cincinnati win that?
I'll have you know that DePaul split the regular season league championship with Cincy the first year of the conference. Cincy won the next year and I think Memphis and Penny won the next two.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'll have you know that DePaul split the regular season league championship with Cincy the first year of the conference. Cincy won the next year and I think Memphis and Penny won the next two.

Here we go, copy and paste. 91 to 95. Cincy won 2 of the regular season titles and all 4 tournament titles.

Regular Season Champions:

SeasonChampion(s)Head Coach(es)
1991-92CincinnatiBob Huggins
1991-92
1992-93Cincinnati (2)Bob Huggins (2)
1993-94MarquetteKevin O’Neill
1994-95MemphisLarry Finch

Tournament Champions:

SeasonChampionHead Coach
1992CincinnatiBob Huggins
1993Cincinnati (2)Bob Huggins (2)
1994Cincinnati (3)Bob Huggins (3)
1995Cincinnati (4)Bob Huggins (4)

A couple of conferences are locked down but there's some argument for others.

locked down...oh, you mean like the SEC is with Kentucky being without question the all-time dominating and unparalleled master of the conference that other SEC teams envy and bow down to?

Just making sure we're on the same page.

A lot Brooky. The conference as originally constituted did not last long and now it is a nothing. The conference was made up of a bunch of schools that had no worthless conference connections and it fell apart when the first wind blew.

But the thread isn’t about the best conference…

Probably missed one or two. But, close-ish.

Best Champion From Each P6 Conference
ACC: '92 Duke
Big East: '84 Georgetown or '18 Villanova
Big 12: '08 Kansas or '21 Baylor
Big Ten: '76 Indiana
Pac 12: '69 UCLA
SEC: '96 Kentucky

Best Team From Each Conference That Didn't Win It All
ACC: '84 North Carolina or '99 Duke
Big East: '85 Georgetown
Big 12: '97 Kansas
Big Ten: '75 Indiana
Pac 12: '74 UCLA or '08 UCLA
SEC: '15 Kentucky

Probably missed one or two. But, close-ish.
Best Team From Each Conference That Didn't Win It All
ACC: '84 North Carolina or '99 Duke
Big East: '85 Georgetown
Big 12: '97 Kansas
Big Ten: '75 Indiana
Pac 12: '74 UCLA or '08 UCLA
SEC: '15 Kentucky

Makes me wonder what a best of 7 would look like in the NCAA. Once you get to the FF, usually any team is capable of beating any other team, at least once.

For the less basketball savvy among us: that's why FF's are a big deal.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Makes me wonder what a best of 7 would look like in the NCAA. Once you get to the FF, usually any team is capable of beating any other team, at least once.

I'll go back to 1991. I seriously, seriously doubt Duke beats UNLV in a best of 7.

This is who I think would have won the title if there were a best of 7. Some years were too close to call. I've bolded the years where the predicted champ isn't included.

91- UNLV
92- Duke
93- North Carolina
94- Arkansas
95- UCLA
96- Kentucky
97- Kansas
98- North Carolina
99- Duke

00- Michigan State
01- Duke
02- Maryland or Duke
03- Kansas
04- UConn
05- North Carolina or Illinois
06- Florida
07- Florida
08- Kansas
09- North Carolina
10- Duke or Kansas
11- Ohio State
12- Kentucky
13- Louisville
14- Florida
15- Kentucky

16- Villanova or North Carolina
17- Gonzaga
18- Villanova
19- Virginia or Duke
20- Kansas (no tournament)
21- Baylor
22- Kansas

locked down...oh, you mean like the SEC is with Kentucky being without question the all-time dominating and unparalleled master of the conference that other SEC teams envy and bow down to?

Just making sure we're on the same page.
It did used to be that way. Ky had its way for years in the SEC but now it's entirely different since the rest of the teams started getting serious 5 -10 years ago upgrading coaches and basketball programs.
Now we just have to hear all the history lessons.

• Haha
Reactions: CUJO_1970
It did used to be that way. Ky had its way for years in the SEC but now it's entirely different since the rest of the teams started getting serious 5 -10 years ago upgrading coaches and basketball programs.
This is why a lot of UK fans post threads about all time this or that all the time. They are the first to interject "all time" into a thread where it has no relevance. They appear to have a need to feel special regardless of it they are actually special or not.

Reactions: winin11

This idea that SEC basketball teams just suddenly "started to get serious 5-10 years ago" is pure horse shit.

Ever heard of Nolan Richardson or Billy Donovan? SEC is no more serious about basketball over the last "5-10 years" than it was 30 something years ago when Arkansas won a freaking title, Florida went back to back and Kentucky went to three Nattys in a row, winning two of them - with two different coaches.

FOH with your weak know-nothing basketball takes. All anyone wants to hear from Alabama basketball fans right now is SILENCE.

Sweeping UT this season sure felt special.

And by special I mean normal.
I’m sure it did feel special to beat a ranked team for you. Are those your only quad 1 wins?

ADVERTISEMENT