DJ Funderburk, NC State, 1
Jay Huff, Virginia, 1

6th Man of the Year
Patrick Williams, Florida State, 35
Malik Williams, Louisville, 28
Dane Goodwin, Notre Dame, 9
Isaiah Wong, Miami, 3

Reactions: dukedevilz
Is it weird to anyone else that Vernon Carey was the leading vote getter for All-ACC, but didn’t get any votes for PoY? He would be my pick for PoY for sure.

Hughes in 1st team over Vassell or Diakite feels a bit off...but not egregious I suppose.

Last edited:
Is it weird to anyone else that Vernon Carey was the leaving vote getter for All-ACC, but didn’t get any votes for PoY? He would be my pick for PoY for sure.

Hughes in 1st team over Vassell or Diakite feels a bit off...but not egregious I suppose.
Wasn't nominated for the award.

Yea no lie, wouldn’t he be nominated by simply playing in the ACC

Hope Chris Mack didn’t vote for himself lmao

He did a good job this year but no way any one other than Bennett or Ham deserved a vote imo.

How is that even possible? And why even nominate? Just let voters pick what they want.
Schools nominate their players for certain awards and do not like to nominate two for an award because it splits the vote

That is why Tre won the award.

Is it weird to anyone else that Vernon Carey was the leading vote getter for All-ACC, but didn’t get any votes for PoY? He would be my pick for PoY for sure.

Yes. Does seem very odd. Guess Tre canceled out all the votes for Carey. Also, find it weird that Tre won POY and only had the 4th most votes for 1st Team. I would have voted for Vassell to be on the 1st Team. Not a fan of that omission.

Yes. Does seem very odd. Guess Tre canceled out all the votes for Carey. Also, find it weird that Tre won POY and only had the 4th most votes for 1st Team. I would have voted for Vassell to be on the 1st Team. Not a fan of that omission.
Vern wasn't nominated for POY.

Reactions: dukedevilz
The 1 and 2 seeds in the ACC tourney have no one on the 1st team. Makes sense why Ham and Bennett are 1 and 2 in ACC COY I guess. It just seems like the voters looked at the top scorers in the ACC and said "that's my 1st team All-ACC".

The 1 and 2 seeds in the ACC tourney have no one on the 1st team. Makes sense why Ham and Bennett are 1 and 2 in ACC COY I guess. It just seems like the voters looked at the top scorers in the ACC and said "that's my 1st team All-ACC".

Agreed. Not a fan of Elijah Hughes making 1st Team. If it's any consolation, Diakite made KenPom's 1st Team.

UVA and FSU are both at huge disadvantages. Voters, I'm guessing, mostly examine the raw stats. UVA has fewer possessions, which means the numbers won't look quite as good as a team that has 70-78 possessions. FSU often plays 11-12 guys, so they rarely have a single guy that gets enough touches to merit individual all-conference honors. Between Diakite, Vassell, and Forrest, you'd think at least one of them would be 1st Team. Unfortunately, voters are more influenced by the simple numbers of points, rebounds, and assists per game.

Agreed. Not a fan of Elijah Hughes making 1st Team. If it's any consolation, Diakite made KenPom's 1st Team.

UVA and FSU are both at huge disadvantages. Voters, I'm guessing, mostly examine the raw stats. UVA has fewer possessions, which means the numbers won't look quite as good as a team that has 70-78 possessions. FSU often plays 11-12 guys, so they rarely have a single guy that gets enough touches to merit individual all-conference honors. Between Diakite, Vassell, and Forrest, you'd think at least one of them would be 1st Team. Unfortunately, voters are more influenced by the simple numbers of points, rebounds, and assists per game.

Yeah I understand why. It's just pretty ridiculous. Also, no way Tre Jones gets DPOY if they look at advanced stats.

Last edited:
Yeah I understand why. It's just pretty ridiculous. Also, no way Tre Jones gets DPOY if they look at advanced stats.

National defensive rating:
Defensive Rating
1. Jay Huff Virginia 81.8
2. Precious Achiuwa Memphis 82.2
3. Udoka Azubuike Kansas 82.7
4. Tahjai Teague Ball State 83.7
5. Braxton Key Virginia 83.8
6. Scottie James Liberty 84.7
7. Freddie Gillespie Baylor 84.8
8. Tyler Bey Colorado 84.9
9. Mamadi Diakite Virginia 85.0
10. Caleb Homesley Liberty 85.1

ACC Stats:
Defensive Rating
1. Jay Huff Virginia 81.8
2. Braxton Key Virginia 83.8
3. Mamadi Diakite Virginia 85.0
4. Vernon Carey Jr. Duke 87.6
5. Kihei Clark Virginia 89.2
6. James Banks III Georgia Tech 90.4
7. Kody Stattmann Virginia 90.5
8. Thomas Woldetensae Virginia 91.0
9. Casey Morsell Virginia 91.3
10. Steven Enoch Louisville 92.7
11. Dwayne Sutton Louisville 93.0
12. Jordan Goldwire Duke 93.5
13. John Mooney Notre Dame 93.6
14. Tevin Mack Clemson 93.8
15. Devin Vassell Florida State 93.9
16. Tre Jones Duke 94.0
17. Jose Alvarado Georgia Tech 94.1
18. Moses Wright Georgia Tech 94.1
19. Bourama Sidibe Syracuse 94.2
20. Jordan Nwora Louisville 94.2

Defensive ratings I believe have merit, especially if the sample size is large enough. But, it's not a perfect system as it accounts for all points scored while a player is on the floor. It's hard to directly attribute how much a single player is responsible - when four other players had a say in the matter.

That being said, I would have no issues if Huff or Diakite won the DPOY. Jones is a great defender. I will concede it's very possible that media members believe the notion that Jones is the best defender - simply because they probably hear it all the time. Seems like every broadcast you hear how great a defender he is. So Idk. Maybe the Duke bias got the best of the voters in this one?

Reactions: jhmossy
Until FSU starts pulling in some Elite, Elite blue-chippers, I don't expect us to get any real hype on the post-season awards. It is hard with our minute distribution. If you look at our stats, Vassell was actually as good of, if not better, a defender as Trent throughout most of the season. I would have liked to see him get more recognition for that. Also thought he should have been first team, but there are guys putting up really good numbers who got the nod instead, so its not like they are bad choices, just not the choice that I think people would have made with more minutes going his way.

Kind of surprised Jones got POTY. I suppose they were just going to vote for whoever Duke nominated. He is a really good player for sure but is not even the best player on his team. You have to really give Duke's marketing department credit. They do a fantastic job pushing certain narratives.

Also surprised Brooks didn't make first team. He certainly deserved it, though those other five players are all obviously very good. I would have gone with Diakite or Vassell over Cummings as well probably.

Kind of surprised Jones got POTY. I suppose they were just going to vote for whoever Duke nominated. He is a really good player for sure but is not even the best player on his team. You have to really give Duke's marketing department credit. They do a fantastic job pushing certain narratives.

Also surprised Brooks didn't make first team. He certainly deserved it, though those other five players are all obviously very good. I would have gone with Diakite or Vassell over Cummings as well probably.

You mean the same Tre Jones that’s nominated for National Awards as well? C’mon man

Pretty sure Garrison was the leading scorer in the ACC, 2nd leading rebounder in the ACC, and 2nd in FG% in the ACC.

Pretty sure Garrison was the leading scorer in the ACC, 2nd leading rebounder in the ACC, and 2nd in FG% in the ACC.

He was the only one in the top 5 that was left out. Probably because UNC finished dead last in the conference. The 1st team players were all in the top 6 of scoring.

Reactions: ceilo77
I am fine with Tre Jones getting POY because he is the best two way player in the conference. However, he is not the best offensive player and he is not the best defensive player so I am surprised he won DPOY. I think Tre Jones is overrated as a defender and underrated as an offensive player.

Also, Duke has 2 1st team All-ACC players and the easiest conference schedule this year and finishes 4th. Yikes.

Defensive ratings I believe have merit, especially if the sample size is large enough. But, it's not a perfect system as it accounts for all points scored while a player is on the floor. It's hard to directly attribute how much a single player is responsible - when four other players had a say in the matter.

That being said, I would have no issues if Huff or Diakite won the DPOY. Jones is a great defender. I will concede it's very possible that media members believe the notion that Jones is the best defender - simply because they probably hear it all the time. Seems like every broadcast you hear how great a defender he is. So Idk. Maybe the Duke bias got the best of the voters in this one?

Jones took a decent step back defensively imo. He won the award thanks to last year's performance, just like Hagans likely will in the SEC.

I am fine with Tre Jones getting POY because he is the best two way player in the conference. However, he is not the best offensive player and he is not the best defensive player so I am surprised he won DPOY. I think Tre Jones is overrated as a defender and underrated as an offensive player.

Also, Duke has 2 1st team All-ACC players and the easiest conference schedule this year and finishes 4th. Yikes.

*Tied for second.

The last time FSU had a player make the All ACC first team was Toney Douglas in 2009. Since then, FSU has:
1. Won an ACC Championship and now an ACC Regular Season title
2. Made 7 NCAA Tourneys, including 3 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8
3. Finished in the top 3 of the league 5 times, finished 4th another time, and never had less than 8 ACC wins in a season

So am I surprised that FSU, yet again, did not have a player finish on the All ACC first team? Can't say that I am. (And by the way, Clemson has had THREE guys make first team in that time span).

The last time FSU had a player make the All ACC first team was Toney Douglas in 2009. Since then, FSU has:
3. Finished in the top 3 of the league 5 times, finished 4th another time, and never had less than 8 ACC wins in a season

So am I surprised that FSU, yet again, did not have a player finish on the All ACC first team? Can't say that I am. (And by the way, Clemson has had THREE guys make first team in that time span).
Politics.

Reactions: GE Nole

That’s got to be largely a result of Ham’s liberal rotations and spread the wealth system, no?

That’s got to be largely a result of Ham’s liberal rotations and spread the wealth system, no?
So, FSU’s stars get screwed because we have more overall talent than Clemson or Syracuse (Hughes) and don’t have one player play hero ball?

Voters should be educated enough to understand that.

You guys should probably get a better marketing department.

Oh, I agree. OTOH, we didn't have to market 'The Brotherhood' for players to feel like it was all about family so there is that. There is something to be said for not having to manufacture the hype.

You mean the same Tre Jones that’s nominated for National Awards as well? C’mon man

He was fourth in voting for All-ACC. He isn't the best player in the conference though. I'm surprised you think he is tbh.

Wonder where those 2 votes for Cole Anthony came from?

He shouldn't have received any. I can recognize when UNC players get rewarded when they shouldn't.

Oh, I agree. OTOH, we didn't have to market 'The Brotherhood' for players to feel like it was all about family so there is that. There is something to be said for not having to manufacture the hype.

He was fourth in voting for All-ACC. He isn't the best player in the conference though. I'm surprised you think he is tbh.

He shouldn't have received any. I can recognize when UNC players get rewarded when they shouldn't.
You constantly tell us how reasonable you are, but really never prove it.

What is it they say, watch what I do, not what I say.

UNc fans always bring up the Brotherhood thing. Is that because the Carolina Way was proven to be utter bullshit and a cheating scam developed by DES.

As a Duke fan, I could care less about either, since I am not an ex player. But the Duke alumni seem to love it and come back in droves. Sorry it bothers you.

Opinions are great huh? Seems like those that vote and have a brain, disagree with you.

Didn't Zion and RJ both receive votes for ACC POY last year? How is that possible if Duke can only nominate one player? Did the rule change this year?

It was between Tre and Vernon since the after the first UNC game and many voters agreed Tre was more deserving. His stats back it up. With foul trouble hurting Vernon to be on the court later in the season, Tre surpassed him.

That plays a factor, sure. But come on. Not a single guy was worthy of 1st team in more than a decade? Not Michael Snaer? Chris Singleton (who won defensive player of the year, by the way)? Not Dwayne Bacon? Terance Mann? Devin Vassell?

But let's say there wasn't a guy worthy. Shouldn't Ham be winning Coach of the Year awards like Titanic raking in Oscar Awards? I mean, if the guy can accomplish all that with a system that is so unique and successful that not a single player is worthy of 1st team, then he must be the best coach most years, right?

Well, until today Hamilton hadn't won CoY since 2012. That includes 2017 where FSU was picked to finish 8th in the preseason ACC poll and ended up 2nd and ranked in the top 15 in the country. Oh and he did all that with only 1 guy on any of the 1st-3rd All ACC teams that season. Apparently Josh Pastner did a better job that season, guiding GT to the NIT and rising from 14th in the ACC preseason all the way up to 11th.

So which is it? Is Ham's system just so incredible that none of the players should be given accolades, but Ham should win coach of the year 75% of the time? Or is it that FSU's players, largely due to a voting contingent that is based in the Carolinas and Virginias, are repeatedly overlooked?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Glad Sutton made an honorable mention but feel like he should’ve made 3rd team. Dude does everything, and plays his ass off.

ADVERTISEMENT