ADVERTISEMENT

All Academic teams

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
From Duke, Grayson Allen and Marvin Bagley make the ACC All Academic team. Allen has won it all four years. Bagley is nice to see, because every Duke fan knew he came in with a rep of being a proud student, and every non Duke fan who didn't bother to actually read much about his academic journey accused him of being some non-student. Coach Jeff Capel won it back in the day, too.

http://www.dukeblogger.com/grayson-allen-marvin-bagley-iii-named-acc-academic-team/

What about everyone else? Academic teams are actually something to be proud of for the kids, as silly as it sounds... to really still excel in your studies (which these kids are doing) while playing high level d1 basketball... well, that's better than I did I college!:)

So Bagley made it, but the guy who was deciding between Duke and Harvard did not. Interesting.

Reactions: Montana81
There are 30 freakin' guys on the All-ACC academic team. Kind of waters down the "honor" when there are that many, don't you think? Saw that Maye is the only ACC player to make All-District and he only carries a 3.45 GPA in business administration. That's not even good enough to graduate cum laude.

From Duke, Grayson Allen and Marvin Bagley make the ACC All Academic team. Allen has won it all four years. Bagley is nice to see, because every Duke fan knew he came in with a rep of being a proud student, and every non Duke fan who didn't bother to actually read much about his academic journey accused him of being some non-student. Coach Jeff Capel won it back in the day, too.

http://www.dukeblogger.com/grayson-allen-marvin-bagley-iii-named-acc-academic-team/

What about everyone else? Academic teams are actually something to be proud of for the kids, as silly as it sounds... to really still excel in your studies (which these kids are doing) while playing high level d1 basketball... well, that's better than I did I college!:)
Probably need to see class lists before tooting horns. Frosh with garbage majors and limited hours.

There are 30 freakin' guys on the All-ACC academic team. Kind of waters down the "honor" when there are that many, don't you think? Saw that Maye is the only ACC player to make All-District and he only carries a 3.45 GPA in business administration. That's not even good enough to graduate cum laude.
How about I cum laude on your face?

200w.gif

There is literally nothing impressive about graduating cum laude. Summa cum laude is impressive. Cum laude is ordinary.
I didn't say it was impressive, did I? What percentage of college grads do you think graduate with a 3.5 or higher? It's certainly not an ordinary amount, I can tell you that. However, my point was even the ACC's scholar of all scholars got an award based on a GPA that wouldn't even qualify for "ordinary" honors.

I didn't say it was impressive, did I? What percentage of college grads do you think graduate with a 3.5 or higher? It's certainly not an ordinary amount, I can tell you that. However, my point was even the ACC's scholar of all scholars got an award based on a GPA that wouldn't even qualify for "ordinary" honors.
You know how godamn hard those classes at UNC are so lay off.

Did I say you said it was impressive?

I understood your point.

I'm more impressed when our guys major in something outside of a liberal arts discipline. Matt Christensen (Civil Engineering), Nick Horvath (Physics), and Trajan Langdon (Mathematics) are a few that come to mind.... surprised that Ben Lammers didn't make this list. He's been touted quite a few teams on national television.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm more impressed when our guys major in something outside of a liberal arts discipline. Matt Christensen (Civil Engineering), Nick Horvath (Physics), and Trajan Langdon (Mathematics) are a few that come to mind.... surprised that Ben Lammers didn't make this list. He's been touted quite a few teams on national television.
Yes, getting outstanding grades in majors like that is much more impressive for sure. An upperclassman with a 3.0 in anything like that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a 4.0 in business admin, hospitality management, communication, sports admin, etc.... the typical "jock" majors.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yes, getting outstanding grades in majors like that is much more impressive for sure. An upperclassman with a 3.0 in anything like that >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a 4.0 in business admin, hospitality management, communication, sports admin, etc.... the typical "jock" majors.
Or whats equally impressive is the complete idiots that struggle in some of these classes or are ineligible b/c of grades. You'd literally have to try hard to not pass these classes----or do nothing at all.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Or whats equally impressive is the complete idiots that struggle in some of these classes or are ineligible b/c of grades. You'd literally have to try hard to not pass these classes----or do nothing at all.
Especially the underclassmen that are taking a bunch of electives or the juniors and seniors that are somehow still "undecided" or majoring in "general studies". RollLaugh

Business Admin doesn't belong with the other you posted.

Freshmen shouldn't be on the list, they don't have to actually take anything other than some of the easier core classes.

I'd assume Duke did for Bagley the same Oregon says it's going to do for Bol Bol--try to get him ready for a career in the NBA. That's fine in my book, but the class load is probably so unique that it isn't "apples and apples" to match OAD's with guys in ordinary majors, eg, Luke Maye.

. Anyway, who cares? SA's get what they put into college. And as rotten as UNC's AA sham courses may have been, the Heels have had some really solid SA's in recent years.

I’m assuming you’re a Kentucky grad? That leaves little room to laugh at anyone’s education.
First, I wasn't making fun of anyone's education. Second, you assume wrong. I didn't go to UK for undergrad or grad school. However, that is an ignorant statement. You have no clue what my education is in. For instance, what if I was a pharmacist? UK's pharmacy program is top 5 in the nation. What kind of idiot would go there though, right?! :confused:

I'd assume Duke did for Bagley the same Oregon says it's going to do for Bol Bol--try to get him ready for a career in the NBA. That's fine in my book, but the class load is probably so unique that it isn't "apples and apples" to match OAD's with guys in ordinary majors, eg, Luke Maye.

. Anyway, who cares? SA's get what they put into college. And as rotten as UNC's AA sham courses may have been, the Heels have had some really solid SA's in recent years.
You cannot be sure that any UNC players does their own work or who grades it.Roy himself in his book says that he took a course for his masters that did not meet or have any papers

Reactions: Quavarius
First, I wasn't making fun of anyone's education. Second, you assume wrong. I didn't go to UK for undergrad or grad school. However, that is an ignorant statement. You have no clue what my education is in. For instance, what if I was a pharmacist? UK's pharmacy program is top 5 in the nation. What kind of idiot would go there though, right?! :confused:

Bandwagon(er).

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Exactly! I feel bad for anyone who would choose a college strictly because they are a fan of that school's athletic programs. Tells me they aren't very serious about education.
So if someone attends Kentucky they aren't serious about an education? Doesn't sound good for Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT