ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama

rockycard

Jan 8, 2007
17-10

They beat a mediocre Mississippi state team by 5 and lost to Kentucky by 9, how did they move up in the polls? They are not a very good team except on the rare occasion that they are hot from 3.

They only hit 7 threes in each of their wins against UT, Houston, and Baylor and shot under 35% in those games. They can win big games not being ridiculously hot from three. They have just been really bad and inconsistent on defense in their losses.

I agree with the rankings thing though. Not sure how they moved up one and didn't drop a few.

Reactions: Montana81
Alabama has 1st Round exit written all over it, same with LSU. The SEC besides UK is not built for March.

Alabama: high volume 3 point shooting team that is mediocre from 3, inconsistent defense

LSU: incredibly inconsistent effort, play down to their competition and the team is a turnover machine

Auburn: supporting cast is suspect and their guards are mediocre at best

Alabama has 1st Round exit written all over it, same with LSU. The SEC besides UK is not built for March.

Alabama: high volume 3 point shooting team that is mediocre from 3, inconsistent defense

LSU: incredibly inconsistent effort, play down to their competition and the team is a turnover machine

I can see the Hogs in the sweet 16

I wouldn't bet on LSU by any means, but they can play high level D.

Tenn / Arky could make some noise. Maybe sweet 16, good pairings elite 8 for one of them. AR has been notoriously bad on the road while very good at home. But maybe Mussleman can correct that. Seems better this year than the past.

Auburn's guard play is not good. Its gonna cost them. Defense is solid, but those guards tend to make bad decisions.

Bama defense is average at best. I'm being kind.

Reactions: bignish
Alabama has 1st Round exit written all over it...
Agree.....OR

The Final Four.

So inconsistent.....But I;ve seen teams like this, get some mojo in the NCAAT, and just get on a roll. They are as talented as most...

BTW----My 1st round exit, highly regarded team is----Houston.

Tenn / Arky could make some noise. Maybe sweet 16, good pairings elite 8 for one of them. AR has been notoriously bad on the road while very good at home. But maybe Mussleman can correct that. Seems better this year than the past.

Auburn's guard play is not good. Its gonna cost them. Defense is solid, but those guards tend to make bad decisions.

If Auburn's guard play is that poor, it's weird that so many people are automatically pencilling them in for a deep run.

The guards have looked pretty average/mediocre when I've seen them.

Reactions: bignish
Agree.....OR

The Final Four.

So inconsistent.....But I;ve seen teams like this, get some mojo in the NCAAT, and just get on a roll. They are as talented as most...

BTW----My 1st round exit, highly regarded team is----Houston.
I don't follow Houston, but I've heard that two of their top players are out and they're not even close to the team they were early on.

If Auburn's guard play is that poor, it's weird that so many people are automatically pencilling them in for a deep run.

The guards have looked pretty average/mediocre when I've seen them.
They've feasted on an easy schedule. I wonder if Auburn is locked into the 1 line even if they lose one more game and bow out early in the SECT.

If so, I'd love to be the 2 seed in their region.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Forgot about the Hogs and Vols, they're the other non UK teams I can see making the 2nd weekend.
You've got Auburn losing to an 8/9?

I mean, it'd be hilarious, but I don't know if I'd bet on it.

I don't follow Houston, but I've heard that two of their top players are out and they're not even close to the team they were early on.
Even wtih them, earlyon, or what not---they are still overrated. I think they have ONE Quad1 win---and like 14 of their wins are Quad 3/4.

17-10

They beat a mediocre Mississippi state team by 5 and lost to Kentucky by 9, how did they move up in the polls? They are not a very good team except on the rare occasion that they are hot from 3.
The good thing about it is we will find out next month.

Two more losses than anyone else in the top 25, losers of 4 of the last 8, and they keep moving up. 🤣

Are they the new Duke?
Bama has the #1 SOS in the country, try that, it helps

I hope you get to play Bama, or the barn for that matter…

When the defense is good, Bama is really good. Then they think they can coast against some teams and defense is average. Just can’t coast against teams you’re favored to beat.
I think they’re getting that figured out

Bama has the #1 SOS in the country, try that, it helps
Yep. Which means they have a pretty good number of quad 1 wins. But they also have more quad 1 losses than just about anyone. .500 record vs quad 1. Also two quad 3 losses and a quad 2 loss.

Add it up and you have mediocrity.

And at any rate, SOS doesn’t explain why they moved up this week.

They've feasted on an easy schedule. I wonder if Auburn is locked into the 1 line even if they lose one more game and bow out early in the SECT.

I thought you were a Virginia fan……#2 seed? Hahaha
Yep. Which means they have a pretty good number of quad 1 wins. But they also have more quad 1 losses than just about anyone. .500 record vs quad 1. Also two quad 3 losses and a quad 2 loss.

Add it up and you have mediocrity.

And at any rate, SOS doesn’t explain why they moved up this week.
we will see soon enough, and yes, SOS sure helps

Auburn and Duke are basically the same team.

I'd love to see Banchero and Smith go at it.

Reactions: cdbearde
The barn has the #1 pick in the NBA draft and a for sure high 1st rounder in Kessler
The depth they have at the rim with Cambridge and Cardwell is elite

Forgot about the Hogs and Vols, they're the other non UK teams I can see making the 2nd weekend.
They got the Vols in Tuscaloosa with two Vol starters out with Covid and still barely won. That said, they are good when they are good and bad when they are bad.

When your guards take 39 shots and shoot miserably and Smith only takes 7 shots. That's horrible, plus Green taking 2 awful game ending shots that cost them. They have Jabari and Kessler, and had a soft SEC schedule. When those 2 are on and are getting the feeds, they're really good. Like I said their guards make terrible decisions.

I just don't have any confidence that their guards can get it done.

Reactions: Montana81
When your guards take 39 shots and shoot miserably and Smith only takes 7 shots. That's horrible, plus Green taking 2 awful game ending shots that cost them. They have Jabari and Kessler, and had a soft SEC schedule. When those 2 are on and are getting the feeds, they're really good. Like I said their guards make terrible decisions.

I just don't have any confidence that their guards can get it done.

They’ll get a 1 or 2 seed though and walk to at least the s16. they have too much talent to lose a neutral court game to a 7 seed or lower.

Their 3 losses are by like a combined 9 points. 2 of them in overtime.

I’m with you on their guards. I have questions. KD Johnson plays out of control. But despite that they still have managed to look like one of the 5 or so truly elite teams this season.

Their 3 point shooting is worrisome however. I will have a hard time picking them out of their region unless they get a complete cake walk.

Reactions: FlynAUround
Not trying to kick the horse, but why have the pollsters been so high on them?

It’s a month later and I’m still correct on them. They are a gimmick style that isn’t very good with it this year.
Nothing to do with gimmicks, turnovers are absolutely killing them and the problem reoccurs over and over.
How's Lousvilles program doing this year? You dish on other programs, what about yours?

Nothing to do with gimmicks, turnovers are absolutely killing them and the problem reoccurs over and over.
How's Lousvilles program doing this year? You dish on other programs, what about yours?
Btw, I have Alabama winning 2 games. Hopefully Quinnerly isn’t hurt too bad but it doesn’t look good for him.

ADVERTISEMENT