ADVERTISEMENT

ACC

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
FaNw9M4XgAA_1ip

I just saw that on my twitter feed. Lively at #9!?!? Holy crap. What is this guy smoking? Does he think Lively is coming off the bench?

How'd you rank your freshman in your chosen stat?

Similar rankings. But, I'd definitely change the order of the Duke guys. If Lively is healthy, the odds of him missing the All-Freshmen team might be less than 5%. 9th is just way too low. And I wouldn't leave out Dior Johnson. I think he'll lead Pitt in scoring.

1. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
2. Dereck Lively, Duke
3. JJ Starling, Notre Dame
4. Dior Johnson, Pittsburgh
5. Kyle Filipowski, Duke
6. Judah Mintz, Syracuse
7. Josh Beadle, Clemson
8. Mark Mitchell, Duke
9. Seth Trimble, North Carolina
t-10. Baba Miller, Florida State
t-10. Kamari Lands, Louisville

Duke freshman and everyone else.

Not looking good for the ACC.

That's pretty much our team, though. Those 4 freshmen + Jeremy Roach/Jacob Grandison should be our top 6 players. UNC should be the team to beat in the conference. I think Trimble could be really nice. Just not sure how many minutes he'll get with Caleb Love and RJ Davis ahead of him in the rotation.

That's pretty much our team, though. Those 4 freshmen + Jeremy Roach/Jacob Grandison should be our top 6 players. UNC should be the team to beat in the conference. I think Trimble could be really nice. Just not sure how many minutes he'll get with Caleb Love and RJ Davis ahead of him in the rotation.
Lower-ranked players stick around in the ACC. You don't need star players coming in.

Similar rankings. But, I'd definitely change the order of the Duke guys. If Lively is healthy, the odds of him missing the All-Freshmen team might be less than 5%. 9th is just way too low. And I wouldn't leave out Dior Johnson. I think he'll lead Pitt in scoring.

1. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
2. Dereck Lively, Duke
5. Kyle Filipowski, Duke
6. Judah Mintz, Syracuse
7. Josh Beadle, Clemson
8. Mark Mitchell, Duke
Johnson is going to get as many shots as he wants this year. I actually have hope for this years Pitt team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I see the white kid for Duke has stepped up to fill the absense Allen’s departure left. A gold chain? RollLaughBoy oh boy. You can’t make this stuff up. What is it with douchey looking white kids and that school?

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I would expect Lively to be higher up the list. He should be using that as fuel.

Lower-ranked players stick around in the ACC. You don't need star players coming in.
Higher ranked players stick around at UNC... at least they used to when Roy was around. So far it seems like that tradition is continuing under Hubert. Wish Cal could get more 5* guys to stay for 3-4 years.

1. Dariq Whitehead, Duke
2. Dereck Lively, Duke
5. Kyle Filipowski, Duke
6. Judah Mintz, Syracuse
7. Josh Beadle, Clemson
8. Mark Mitchell, Duke
Are you just talking about who's going to rank highest in PPG? Flip is ranked higher than JJ and Dior pretty significantly according to every major recruiting service.

Flip may not play 30 MPG neccessarily so I could see JJ Starling and Dior Johnson averaging more PPG though due to playing time and usage.

Higher ranked players stick around at UNC... at least they used to when Roy was around. So far it seems like that tradition is continuing under Hubert. Wish Cal could get more 5* guys to stay for 3-4 years.
Roy had this insane ability to recruit low end 5 stars/high end 4 stars who don't translate to the NBA but end up being productive upperclassmen on teams that gel into title contenders. I don't know how repeatable this strategy is since some of these low end top recruits won't end up even being good college players or they could transfer or they could develop quicker than expected and leave.

This strategy isn't always planned since they're going after the top studs that end up going to Duke but they end up falling in to talented multiple year college players that serve them well.

Things could go really south for a few years after this season for UNC but I've been thinking that for a while now and they always seem to stay relevant.

Roy had this insane ability to recruit low end 5 stars/high end 4 stars who don't translate to the NBA but end up being productive upperclassmen on teams that gel into title contenders. I don't know how repeatable this strategy is since some of these low end top recruits won't end up even being good college players or they could transfer or they could develop quicker than expected and leave.

This strategy isn't always planned since they're going after the top studs that end up going to Duke but they end up falling in to talented multiple year college players that serve them well.

Things could go really south for a few years after this season for UNC but I've been thinking that for a while now and they always seem to stay relevant.
It has certainly worked out for them over the past few decades. Sometimes missing out on those top ranked studs that will only be there for a year and instead getting slightly lower regarded prospects that you get 3-4 years out of is a true blessing in disguise. Helps keep team continuity from year to year too. Teams that have to start from scratch with an almost entirely new roster every season have a lot more work to do in order to gain that cohesion. The 2017 team that won the natty was loaded with upperclassmen that were 5* and high 4* coming out of HS.

Reactions: Villian07
I love all four of UVA’s 4-star first years. I think two of them are probably good enough to be on this list but likely won’t get enough playing time considering how much we’re returning.

Are you just talking about who's going to rank highest in PPG? Flip is ranked higher than JJ and Dior pretty significantly according to every major recruiting service.

Flip may not play 30 MPG neccessarily so I could see JJ Starling and Dior Johnson averaging more PPG though due to playing time and usage.

Nah. Refer back to some of my rankings. I always call it "most impactful." I'm not basing it on NBA talent, or ppg, but essentially who's going to have the biggest impact on a team winning. A more successful team should have more players at the top in my rankings. Could we have the top 3 freshmen? Sure. Just feel like Starling and Johnson might have a few opportunities to shine, especially if Roach catapults as an elite point guard - that could potentially make Flip the #4 option. Don't think it would be all that surprising if Flip makes the All-Freshmen team and a couple freshmen are left off who have higher scoring averages (i.e. Josh Beadle or Kamari Lands).

There are a lot of really solid freshmen coming in. But, it would be hard to be a top 10 freshmen if you're not playing 20+ minutes a game. So, that might take the UNC-UVA freshmen out of the picture. I like FSU's Baba Miller a lot, too. But, no clue on how many minutes Hamilton might give him.

From what I’ve seen so far of Kamari, he’s gonna be legit for us.

I love all four of UVA’s 4-star first years. I think two of them are probably good enough to be on this list but likely won’t get enough playing time considering how much we’re returning.

I'm very intrigued by Isaac Traudt. If he were given 25 minutes a night, I think he'd likely make the ACC All-Freshmen team. Very high ceiling. I could see him being 1st or 2nd Team All-Conference as a sophomore.

PT is going to be hard to come by in the frontcourt with all of that depth and experience. Gardner, Shedrick, Vander Plas, Caffaro, and Traudt. How do you feel the minutes will play out with the bigs? I'd assume Gardner and Shedrick start. Odd man out of the rotation might be Caffaro. Part of me still thinks Traudt could start. He's more athletic than Gardner - and much more skilled than Shedrick.

You guys have a really good class though, a lot of good foundational pieces to build on.

I'm very intrigued by Isaac Traudt. If he were given 25 minutes a night, I think he'd likely make the ACC All-Freshmen team. Very high ceiling. I could see him being 1st or 2nd Team All-Conference as a sophomore.

PT is going to be hard to come by in the frontcourt with all of that depth and experience. Gardner, Shedrick, Vander Plas, Caffaro, and Traudt. How do you feel the minutes will play out with the bigs? I'd assume Gardner and Shedrick start. Odd man out of the rotation might be Caffaro. Part of me still thinks Traudt could start. He's more athletic than Gardner - and much more skilled than Shedrick.

You guys have a really good class though, a lot of good foundational pieces to build on.

Traudt has looked really good in Italy so far. He hasn’t looked completely lost on the defensive side which gives me hope he’ll get decent minutes this year. Caffaro’s minutes will most likely depend on foul trouble or matchup dependent. Shedrick is the clear starter but he can pick up fouls pretty quickly. Gardner and BVP will play a ton of minutes so I think the new guys won’t get a ton of minutes this year.

Its not like they are turning down being a first round pick to return. Sharpe was OaD just last year.

Plus yall just got the NPOY to come back, so weird take imo

Its not like they are turning down being a first round pick to return. Sharpe was OaD just last year.

Plus yall just got the NPOY to come back, so weird take imo
I was talking about highly ranked high school players that commit to a program and end up staying for 3-4 years. Out of all the scholarship players Cal recruited in his first 13 years at UK only 7, total, stayed through at least their junior season and only 5 of them were highly ranked; Hood (4), WCS (4), Poythress (5), Richards (5), and Brooks (5). Willis and Hawkins were both 3 star recruits that stayed 4 years but never would've been recruited by Cal if they weren't in-state kids. Polson (also a KY kid) stayed 4 years too, but he was a walk-on initially.

The 2017 UNC squad had Jackson (5), Pinson (5), Hicks (5), Berry (4), Meeks (4), and Britt (4) all as upperclassmen. That's more highly ranked upperclassmen in 1 season than UK has had in 13 YEARS COMBINED. 😂

As far as Tshiebwe goes, this will be his second year playing for UK, not "3-4 years". Obviously the landscape is different now with NIL too, otherwise he wouldn't be back this season. He'll make more NIL money this year at UK than he would have in the pros, more than likely. He wasn't going to be a 1st rd pick, no guaranteed money. May not have even been drafted at all. This will be Toppin's 3rd year at UK as a transfer though, so that's an outlier. He could also return next season if he wanted to (as could Oscar), but that's not gonna happen.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I was talking about highly ranked high school players that commit to a program and end up staying for 3-4 years. Out of all the scholarship players Cal recruited in his first 13 years at UK only 7, total, stayed through at least their junior season and only 5 of them were highly ranked; Hood (4), WCS (4), Poythress (5), Richards (5), and Brooks (5). Willis and Hawkins were both 3 star recruits that stayed 4 years but never would've been recruited by Cal if they weren't in-state kids. Polson (also a KY kid) stayed 4 years too, but he was a walk-on initially.

The 2017 UNC squad had Jackson (5), Pinson (5), Hicks (5), Berry (4), Meeks (4), and Britt (4) all as upperclassmen. That's more highly ranked upperclassmen in 1 season than UK has had in 13 YEARS COMBINED. 😂

As far as Tshiebwe goes, this will be his second year playing for UK, not "3-4 years". Obviously the landscape is different now with NIL too, otherwise he wouldn't be back this season. He'll make more NIL money this year at UK than he would have in the pros, more than likely. He wasn't going to be a 1st rd pick, no guaranteed money. May not have even been drafted at all. This will be Toppin's 3rd year at UK as a transfer though, so that's an outlier. He could also return next season if he wanted to (as could Oscar), but that's not gonna happen.
Thats what im saying, like oscar none of the guys u listed, or any of unc’s five star guys sans harrison barnes probly woulda went first round after his frosh year, but not the rest. Might be landing players in that sweet spot that arent top ten one and done but still good players.

Id say the real difference is UNC seems to be able to keep those type of players from transferring. Id say alot of that is by design, bc uk is bringing in 3-4 5 star frosh to take their mins each year, but every player has their own set of circumstances. I mean cal has made a point to recruit off the premise of getting guys to the pros quickly, So weve seen kids who were 3-4 year college players transfer out of uk and not only be successful, but reach basically all-american status. But again o think it was more by design, than just bad luck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT