ADVERTISEMENT

A non-political “How YOU doin?” thread

I mean I work at a hospital so I’ll be hearing about it non stop awhile.

I didn’t realize @TheDude1 ‘s wish for a “how YOU doing” thread was to talk about corona virus more. Was suppose to be a thread to chill in if I understood him.
Man, I feel for ya. Working at a hospital in these times? Damn.

Yeah I understood it as a "get away, what's up, how ya doing thread".

Reactions: SNU0821
On the plus side, my buddy is off the ventilator, has survived sepsis, and seems to be on the mend!

On the down side, my county has nearly 2,000 cases with 15 in my hometown (up from 4 yesterday) including one death, and our local hospitals have simply stopped accepting patients. Thinking of heading up to my sister in laws in New Hampshire. We are 16 days clean and isolated, but feels like a tricky place to be. We can stay totally isolated, no food deliveries or anything, for at least two more weeks, but the idea of being somewhere where emergency medical care may no longer be available...

On the plus side, my buddy is off the ventilator, has survived sepsis, and seems to be on the mend!

On the down side, my county has nearly 2,000 cases with 15 in my hometown (up from 4 yesterday) including one death, and our local hospitals have simply stopped accepting patients. Thinking of heading up to my sister in laws in New Hampshire. We are 16 days clean and isolated, but feels like a tricky place to be. We can stay totally isolated, no food deliveries or anything, for at least two more weeks, but the idea of being somewhere where emergency medical care may no longer be available...
2 more weeks of food probably won’t cut it. I think you’d have to get out atleast once or twice before things start to calm down. I realize that getting out for food is pretty low risk (depending on how your grocery store is set up) but if that kind of exposure concerns you I’d just assume go head for New Hampshire.

Really, IMO, the best place to be is somewhere small town/isolated. This is the time where living in a fly over state out in the middle of nowhere will pay dividends. The day to day life people live in those areas is already an extreme version of social distancing so if you have the means to I’d absolutely do that. My sister and her family live in Portland, OR and have been in Black Butte (outside of Bend) for 2 weeks now. The kids are still able to do their school work plan from their iPads and are able to be outside daily in the mountains and forest of Oregon. That’s a much better option than being in a city center.

33176613_2078082872479792_3384346405756731392_n.jpg
That you and your wife?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm so sore. I started working out again. I have a room that is a gym with squat rack, bench press. I've been avoiding it like the plague.Been working out of the past three days, decided to do max reps and I'm f&ckng sore today.
Litting my arms to type is labor.

When I lift I get swole pretty quick. then it starts defining.

Mean time I'm f'n miserable. Giant pussy, I grunt and groan getting up to go to pee or the refridge. I drink 4 slim fast drinks a day.

All golf courses here have been crazy crowded. They’ve raised the pin at most of them so it’s more like croquet on the green. Have been walking on at like 7:30 at a neighborhood course. Virus has been great for my golf game. Haven’t played in 2 years.

All golf courses here have been crazy crowded. They’ve raised the pin at most of them so it’s more like croquet on the green. Have been walking on at like 7:30 at a neighborhood course. Virus has been great for my golf game. Haven’t played in 2 years.
Played yesterday, and yea the pin thing is crazy. Played with my dad and brother, each of us had to take our own cart. When we would get on the green, we would just take the pin out and putt in the hole anyways. Not having the flag in really sucks, although I never hit it the way I want to anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkingUK
Can I ask... how are golf courses open? Is the idea that you are so far apart from people that it is okay?

Reactions: I am stupid
Can I ask... how are golf courses open? Is the idea that you are so far apart from people that it is okay?
Pretty much. At most it’s four people out in the open ya know? No flagstick or hole to touch when you’re on the green. Everyone has their own cart. Honestly I’m very thankful they’ve been open, I would be going insane without golf or fishing. Which I’ll be doing this weekend at the lake.

We had our first caregiver die over the weekend due to COVID-19. Really adds a sobering/human element to work and the decisions I make each day. Craziness man.

Thats actually very good. Usually by the time medical staff make the decision that a vent is necessary--life expectancy is a true 50/50

yea, basically. Definitely have to be conscious of it but can maintain several feet from anyone. Pretty sure it’s only non essential business open in state of KY

Reactions: TheDude1
Thats actually very good. Usually by the time medical staff make the decision that a vent is necessary--life expectancy is a true 50/50

Yeah... I figure he is only 44, so the odds were probably better for him than some of the much older patients. I'm so glad, though... the idea of his little boy growing up without his dad because of this, out of nowhere... just more than my head could take.

Yeah... I figure he is only 44, so the odds were probably better for him than some of the much older patients. I'm so glad, though... the idea of his little boy growing up without his dad because of this, out of nowhere... just more than my head could take.
It may give a tiny window into what it’s like for someone older without a stronger immune system. Obviously once most of Americans are in the clear we can get someone in office that really values human life, from the ground up. I hope there is an unprecedented push for Americans to get healthy. Physical health promotes mental health. I’ve not seen the post 9/11 push for unity yet, but I hope it’s coming. We are in the stay at home order here in the middle of ks, but it hasn’t hit hard yet. Hopefully America flexes it’s own muscle in response to our own suffering—-rmtgats why our country is better—-now we have to show it.

Reactions: SNU0821
It may give a tiny window into what it’s like for someone older without a stronger immune system. Obviously once most of Americans are in the clear we can get someone in office that really values human life, from the ground up. I hope there is an unprecedented push for Americans to get healthy. Physical health promotes mental health. I’ve not seen the post 9/11 push for unity yet, but I hope it’s coming. We are in the stay at home order here in the middle of ks, but it hasn’t hit hard yet. Hopefully America flexes it’s own muscle in response to our own suffering—-rmtgats why our country is better—-now we have to show it.
I'm not even the least bit optimistic on this, which is disappointing.

We've now lost two employees (nurses) so far. It's getting crazy. I've never worked in an environment where my employees are actually dying. We're in full on scramble mode to order as much PPE as possible. @toonces11 - you're in healthcare as well, correct? Hopefully you're staying safe.

I'm not even the least bit optimistic on this, which is disappointing.

We've now lost two employees (nurses) so far. It's getting crazy. I've never worked in an environment where my employees are actually dying. We're in full on scramble mode to order as much PPE as possible. @toonces11 - you're in healthcare as well, correct? Hopefully you're staying safe.
This will probably make you laugh but my mom has sewn me about 50 surgical masks and my dad gave me the 50 or so N95 masks he had out in the garage for sanding in the woodshed. I have patients scheduled 30 mins apart---which isn't difficult b/c everybody is on lockdown. The guidelines even recommend having patients wait in their cars and have me wave them in as one leaves. I have contact with 20 people a day so far which is not ideal, but I'm trying to get people to not come in if they are coughing or running a fever. I also need to keep my numbers up bc I have bills, just like everyone else. Schools cancelled for the year, no spring sports, maybe no summer sports, businesses and dept of transportation have relaxed a ton or regulations so workers aren't required to get physicals updated until june 30th....which can account for nearly 800-1000 patients I wont have come thru my clinic. That part is scary.

I'm at risk more than some----but nowhere near people on the front lines with multiple layers of PPE. ( The news stations have been getting interviews on people that are essential and working with patients--if they called I would 100% tell them to go find somebody else that is in the trenches) My area has not been hit hard---or so we think......do to lack of available testing. Hopefully that means its been mild symptoms and people are fighting it at home.

I cant imagine what you are describing--It all seems unthinkable.

Most of you know I’m in the oil industry. We are getting double slammed right now. I took a 13% pay cut recently. Down but not out. I’m just happy to be in a pretty good position right now but if this price war continues on I may be looking to change careers. This is the 3rd bust I’ll have gone through and it never is something you feel comfortable with. It’s a terrible feeling actually, living in uncertainty. As of now though this is the life I’ve chosen. I’m just happy that I prepare well for these down periods. So many other people will go bankrupt, lose their trucks, lose their homes... they just don’t save even though history tells us a bust is always right around the corner.

Most of you know I’m in the oil industry. We are getting double slammed right now. I took a 13% pay cut recently. Down but not out. I’m just happy to be in a pretty good position right now but if this price war continues on I may be looking to change careers. This is the 3rd bust I’ll have gone through and it never is something you feel comfortable with. It’s a terrible feeling actually, living in uncertainty. As of now though this is the life I’ve chosen. I’m just happy that I prepare well for these down periods. So many other people will go bankrupt, lose their trucks, lose their homes... they just don’t save even though history tells us a bust is always right around the corner.
Good luck, schooner

Reactions: schoonerwest
This is one of my best friends. I blurred his face to protect the innocent. This is him before seeing a patient.

Said he’s definitely been exposed with out PPE not because of lack of PPE but certain hospital protocols. Guy is equivalent to a soldier in war on virus. Crazy times because he’s also one of best drinkers alive. Never thought he’d be responsible for saving the world. But if I get it and go to hospital, I know where I’m going.

Reactions: toonces11
This is one of my best friends. I blurred his face to protect the innocent. This is him before seeing a patient.

Said he’s definitely been exposed with out PPE not because of lack of PPE but certain hospital protocols. Guy is equivalent to a soldier in war on virus. Crazy times because he’s also one of best drinkers alive. Never thought he’d be responsible for saving the world. But if I get it and go to hospital, I know where I’m going.
Phenomenal addition to the story. Lol. Hope he stays safe!

Reactions: bkinglouky
Had to sign contract yesterday. They basically forced me to do it in person. They found out today that the guy we signed with with exposed. Therefore I’m exposed. Yeeeeehaw. Going to be a fun 2 weeks

My cousin, who is a resp. therapist, has volunteered to go to NYC..Has my family in a uproar. He called me for advice...I was like---"Look bro, you do you. BUT....remember bro---you have a family of 5, man." You have to consider that."

I dunno what he will do. I get it--- I do. But, I mean, damn.

Reactions: bkingUK
ADVERTISEMENT