ADVERTISEMENT

A non-political “How YOU doin?” thread

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
We are all going to be home for a while, and I don’t feel like wading through the political garbage when I just want to shoot the shit. So maybe we can do that here.

So, latest here... my buddy has made it to the front page of CNN. FFS.

We are all going to be home for a while, and I don’t feel like wading through the political garbage when I just want to shoot the shit. So maybe we can do that here.

Question: I work for a company that produces cultured marble/granite showers, i.e. walls, vanity tops, soap dishes, etc, etc...We manufacture for builders/contractors, but also install the product ourselves. Indiana Gov just said all non-essential business must close. I looked that up, and it did mention construction, etc, etc...But it went on to say, "for essential living, and/or safety for citizens.
Think my company would qulify as essential?:D

So is this your off topic thread or the off topic off topic thread? Or the on topic of off topic topics thread?

Be clear.

Hah, probably not? But who knows... They said the workers building the new NFL stadium in LA are essential workers, sooo....

You healthy, Borden?

Definitely in on a non-political “shoot the shit” thread.

I’m good. Been working from home since Friday the 13th and still seem healthy. I’m just glad I don’t have to commute to Manhattan for a while because the case load there has really skyrocketed. Granted, NJ isn’t looking all that great right now either.

I think my extroverted wife is starting to get cabin fever.

Question: I work for a company that produces cultured marble/granite showers, i.e. walls, vanity tops, soap dishes, etc, etc...We manufacture for builders/contractors, but also install the product ourselves. Indiana Gov just said all non-essential business must close. I looked that up, and it did mention construction, etc, etc...But it went on to say, "for essential living, and/or safety for citizens.
Think my company would qulify as essential?:D

That’s kinda my situation. I work for a company that makes cabinets for Lowes, Home Depot and places like that and I just can’t understand how the shut down all these work places but the place I work employees about 1000 people or more and we are pretty much side by side all day! Makes no sense!

I'm fine. I do know a few people who have it though so that is kind of worrisome.

Yeah, at three now... my friend David, an old high school friend, and my partners husbands boss. Those are the only ones I know personally. You have to imagine it will really show up a ton in the next week or two, and then start to go back down a bit as work place and public place shutdowns start to work, and Americans start isolating themselves to keep the hospital cases spread out. I know where I am in northern NJ nearly everyone is staying away from each other...

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
That’s kinda my situation. I work for a company that makes cabinets for Lowes, Home Depot and places like that and I just can’t understand how the shut down all these work places but the place I work employees about 1000 people or more and we are pretty much side by side all day! Makes no sense!
We are a very small, but highly busy, fanily owned company. We have 10 employee's. Social distancing is easy. My wife is our secretary, as well. So we would be losing two, full-time incomes----on top of my baseball season beaing cancelled. My boss doesn't know yet what he is going to do. He's a "by the book" guy. So if its mandated we close, we will close.

Reactions: Scotty00
With spring sports cancelled schools cancelled for the year, social distancing....I’m still seeing patients all day but it’s not 40-50 per day. 15-25. It’s been dead every day past 3 pm.

Yeah, at three now... my friend David, an old high school friend, and my partners husbands boss. Those are the only ones I know personally. You have to imagine it will really show up a ton in the next week or two, and then start to go back down a bit as work place and public place shutdowns start to work, and Americans start isolating themselves to keep the hospital cases spread out. I know where I am in northern NJ nearly everyone is staying away from each other...

Northern NJ took a massive hit from this thing. I’m more central which isn’t so bad yet but people are obviously freaked out.

Still working 6 days a week and not from home. People hording groceries is starting to effect our daily life but other than that I'm either working or bored out of my mind.

Still working 6 days a week and not from home. People hording groceries is starting to effect our daily life but other than that I'm either working or bored out of my mind.

Yeah, these hoarders are insane. I figure they have to run out of money at some point and then I can clean up.

Northern NJ took a massive hit from this thing. I’m more central which isn’t so bad yet but people are obviously freaked out.

Yeah, we are absolutely swamped by it right now. I think we are just SO densely populated, and with so many people commuting between the city and home... it is a mess. I haven't really had meaningful, within-6-feet contact with anyone since last Friday or so, so thankfully I'm nearly into the "all clear" zone... just have to stay healthy for a few more days.

I am glad everyone up here is taking it SO seriously... while it might be tough for a few weeks, at least that might help our population figure out who is sick and who isn't. But as soon as travel with other, more lax areas of the country happen... it will come roaring back.

Crazy that we are all going to be waiting on a vaccine, which is still like a year or so away.

@JimboBBN and I do NBA 2K probably five nights a week :)
giphy.gif

"Teaching" from home. Doing a pretty mediocre job on purpose so they don't make me do this shit full time. I became a teacher because I like being the center of attention. Harder to do online.

Been having virtual game nights with friends around the country. We get on Google Hangouts and play games on jackbox.tv on our phones.

Also been rewatching every episode of Curb. Halfway through Season 6 already.

I played golf Sunday but haven't gotten out since then, which is really just today though. Not planning on it until I hit up the grocery Saturday. I have caught up on some watching. Finished McMillions and just started this 'Tiger King' documentary. Just found out a friend's kids were exposed through their grandmother who has it.

We are a very small, but highly busy, fanily owned company. We have 10 employee's. Social distancing is easy. My wife is our secretary, as well. So we would be losing two, full-time incomes----on top of my baseball season beaing cancelled. My boss doesn't know yet what he is going to do. He's a "by the book" guy. So if its mandated we close, we will close.

Hope everything goes well man. I just had a phone interview with the state police here in Kentucky about a dispatching job a few days ago. I Was suppose to go there but with everything going on they done them over the phone!

I played golf Sunday but haven't gotten out since then, which is really just today though. Not planning on it until I hit up the grocery Saturday. I have caught up on some watching. Finished McMillions and just started this 'Tiger King' documentary. Just found out a friend's kids were exposed through their grandmother who has it.

Hope the kids and the grandmother are ok!

Tiger King....any good?? I’ve heard about it. People say they can’t stop watching.

Hope the kids and the grandmother are ok!

Tiger King....any good?? I’ve heard about it. People say they can’t stop watching.

I liked the first episode. I was expecting it to be about the whole murder for hire thing only but apparently they were already doing the documentary when that all went down. I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: KisteK and Scotty00
I liked the first episode. I was expecting it to be about the whole murder for hire thing only but apparently they were already doing the documentary when that all went down. I would definitely recommend it.

Oh, I’m in.

Tomorrow I get to leave the house for the first time since last Tuesday. Here’s the plan.

1:25 PM - Get into car and drive to H-E-B
1:30 PM - Arrive at H-E-B. Text the store that I’m out front in the designated parking spot.
1:31-1:34 PM - Play on Rivals
1:35 PM - Push the button to make the rear door open for H-E-B employee. Watch them load the groceries. Say “Thanks!” and then push the button to close the rear door.
1:37 PM - Leave
1:42 PM - Arrive home.

I’m pretty ****ing stoked for it.

Hope everything goes well man. I just had a phone interview with the state police here in Kentucky about a dispatching job a few days ago. I Was suppose to go there but with everything going on they done them over the phone!

I have a friend that works for them. He loves it, but he previously worked at a county dispatch that was a LOT more busy.

I’m gonna have yo watch it!

Tomorrow I get to leave the house for the first time since last Tuesday. Here’s the plan.

1:25 PM - Get into car and drive to H-E-B
1:30 PM - Arrive at H-E-B. Text the store that I’m out front in the designated parking spot.
1:31-1:34 PM - Play on Rivals
1:35 PM - Push the button to make the rear door open for H-E-B employee. Watch them load the groceries. Say “Thanks!” and then push the button to close the rear door.
1:37 PM - Leave
1:42 PM - Arrive home.

I’m pretty ****ing stoked for it.

I’m doing something similar with a nearby farm soon. Mom is 80, and I just want to keep us really isolated, at least for another few weeks, until we get a feel for how things shake out. I am afraid that we, as a nation, aren’t taking this seriously enough, but in my area we are, and ultimately all that matters is your local hospital. If people want to go out and be with others elsewhere, I cannot stop that.

I've had my hands full working on a startup medical alert company, I'm a solo act, wear all the hats, I live in Huntington WV (apologies accepted) and there's no talent in the area and that's putting it kindly, I had the goal of also employing local people, but for the technical stuff it just isn't going to happen.

I've created a good business model for it, profit margin is great while delivering a great product low income people can afford.

I developed the phone app, the device, print the device enclosure on my 3d printer, two websites 1 for back end data and the other the face of the business.

I'm approaching this a money making hobby lol. I really don't want to wear all the hats when I begin marketing it. In fact at some point I just want someone to mange it and the employees.

I'm thinking about seeing what kind of things I can farm out via fivr or similar sites.

Question has anyone gone this route before?

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I manage a grocery store in Indiana. So haven’t had a day off in 3 weeks. Company is treating us great and employees all hangin in there and do their best to have food for customers. Today will be crazy busy this governor is shutting down the state tomorrow. We are considered essential works so we will still be going to work to supply service for the customers.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I manage a grocery store in Indiana. So haven’t had a day off in 3 weeks. Company is treating us great and employees all hangin in there and do their best to have food for customers. Today will be crazy busy this governor is shutting down the state tomorrow. We are considered essential works so we will still be going to work to supply service for the customers.

good luck, man. As long as you stay relatively isolated and careful around co workers, you should be good.

Stocked up about 2 weeks ago on supplies and food that should last at least 60 days. But, being home with the wife and a 19 month old ALL DAY makes it tough to work remotely. I also bought about 15 cases of beer and 15 bottles of Bulleit Bourbon which helps. Everyone will turn into an alcoholic during this stretch. Divorces and pregnancies will be on an uptick as well.

Reactions: Hank_ and TheDude1
I’m assuming folks have seen these, but in many cities they are doing this nightly “applaud our health care workers” thing, and it’s really incredible to see/hear.

I will say... I think the word “hero” is so, so, SO massively overused in today’s comfortable world.

But goddamn, these nurses and doctors fighting to help people, getting sick themselves, having to live in hotels so they don’t infect their own families... these are actual goddamn heroes.

https://twitter.com/JayendraSurve/status/1242430463697801216/photo/1

Look at the bruising on their faces...that’s nuts.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
ADVERTISEMENT