A Mod can't handle the UCFacts - Which everyone wants to discuss

Discussion in 'College Baseball Clubhouse' started by UCFhonors, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Will UCF host the ESP5N Cartel’s College Gameday this year?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    73.6%
  3. Idk, I’m a tshirt bandwagoner

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. I’m an Uncle Rico who remembers cfb before College Gameday

5 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I would ask this.

Based on results this season. What is UCF doing better than every other school that would cause them to be ranked 1?

Largest MoV?
    Toughest SoS?
    Best offense efficiency?
    Best defensive efficiency?

I just dont see anything that they have done this year that would cause me to rank them higher than about 8th to 10th

2. ALADAMYA

ALADAMYA Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

3. Brotherfease

Brotherfease Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

For this week, UCF is polling at 9 and 10, but that's being generous.

The only reason why Alabama #1 and UCF is in the top 10 has to do with last season.

Their four big games remaining which will increase their poor SOS: Memphis, Cincinnati, South Florida, and the potential CC game.

4. Diego Roll Tide

Diego Roll Tide Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Leave Auburn and Tennessee out of this!

UCFhonors and VU63 like this.
  5. GarzaJ

GarzaJ Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

UCF owns Alabama based on the one meeting in 2000 before the current team was potty trained. #UCFIrrelevantFact

6. maxpower024

maxpower024 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

LSU02 likes this.
  7. Free_Salato_Blue

Free_Salato_Blue Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

8. LongTimeSooner

LongTimeSooner Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

#UCFeudalism

9. knightraveler

knightraveler New Member
    Expand Collapse

At this point I would have to agree but it should be interesting how it plays out if UCF goes undefeated and played 3 ranked teams in the process. Too early to tell.

10. dade305cane

dade305cane Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bama is UCF's kryptonite and weakens them from going into the top spot.

11. DawginSC

DawginSC Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You aren't #1 because nobody (other than your fans) wants to see you in the playoff. You generate no interest.

rolltidetx59 and bamaman1952 like this.
  12. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Ranked at time of game or ranked after the CC week ?

13. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Interest Generated is the fifth tiebreaker.:D

maxpower024 and UCFhonors like this.
  14. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

It's well above 5th.

You have to be blind to realize that television doesn't drive who gets into the playoff to a large degree. OSU was unlucky last year in that they were matched against the one team who generates more interest then they do for the last playoff spot. OSU wins that tiebreaker against virtually everyone else (ND and USC would be close).

15. maxpower024

Expand Collapse

Sounds like the type of criterion that should be used in a supposed athletic competition.

DTP2 likes this.
  16. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's actually not quite that simple. I tried to outline the procedure, I'll try again. The CFP isn't a playoff. I explained that. It never was. It's a compromise between what people think is relevant and what actually IS. If it were a playoff (and I suppose in time it certainly could become one) it would, of necessity admit FCS. That's because there is a law, the Civil Right Act that prohibits discrimination of any kind relative to a service tendered. We can't eliminate FCS simply because we think "they're not any good". Tha'ts discrimination.

So, the only way a playoff will fly is if it includes FCS. Fortunately we don't have to choose. Take CFP admit two semi-final pairings (to coincide with the NC) and add the FCS NC, and we're talking about 4 teams advancing (the 3 semi-finalists, and the FCS NC). I use Semi-Final, because I think the last grouping (4 teams) should constitute a championship, apart from everyone else. That's the only reasonable solution I see. Taking CFP and admitting 8 separates FBS from FCS and that's illegal. So, my idea is the only right one.

17. littlerugger

littlerugger Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If you guys win out again this year, it would be hard to argue you don't deserve a shot at the playoff... even with your schedule.

You don't deserve #1 at this point, and probably won't deserve #1 at the end of the year without a lot of teams losing. However, if UCF wins out, you should have a shot at the playoff.

UCFhonors likes this.
  18. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It was a joke. And if TV dictates who gets in, that is a joke too.

UCFhonors likes this.
  19. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

Do you honestly believe it doesn't come into play?

ESPN wants to get eyeballs. Teams like OSU, OU, Bama, ND, USC... they get an edge over teams like UCF, Maryland, BSU, Kentucky, UVA, Oklahoma State or Colorado. They get that edge because of eyeballs.

20. KnightNasty

KnightNasty Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

#3 offense in the country in YPG... and we haven't had our starters finish a single game...

Just throwing that out there. I don't think we should be #1, but I do believe we are deserving of our Top 10 ranking and should be ultimately considered for a playoff spot...

21. maxpower024

Expand Collapse

I think it's more complex than that...

22. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

I actually don't want the G5 teams to be eligible for the playoffs. I have no interest in those teams. They should be in their own division and have their own championship. We've had to play teams like Hawaii and UCF in bowls. We've won and lost those type of games.

Those games suck for a fan. Fans have no interest. I'd rather play a bad Tennessee or FSU team than a great UCF or Hawaii. I don't want it even possible for those teams to make the playoff. I don't want to match up against them for bowls either. Give them their own division.

23. maxpower024

Expand Collapse

Obviously it comes in to play. My point is that it delegitimizes the result as an athletic competition. Attention has nothing to do with what a team accomplishes on the field.

UCFhonors likes this.
  24. RandyRhoads

RandyRhoads Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I bet the stupid pollsters wouldnt even put Taco Bell as the #1 in Mexican Cuisine

SMH

25. cnsaguy

cnsaguy Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget Navy after they walk out of South Bend with a W.

UCFhonors likes this.
  26. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not at all. Why do you think CFP isn't in a playoff single-elimination 8 team?
    There's only one reason, it's discriminatory. What the plan was, and it still might actually be in place is to remove G-5 entirely from P-5 then implement a "playoff" exclusive to each subdivision (P-5, G-5, FCS). That might work, only because people seem to think G-5 should have a playoff to themselves, but if you admit G-5 and exclude FCS, you're obviously being prejudicial. I'm not stupid. I know a few things. I was so against a playoff because I KNEW it would remove G-5 (1/2 of FBS) by the simple reason that ESPN wanted it.
    They still do, they want a playoff of 8 teams exclusive to P-5. Now, before we get into heated argument about it, simply admit you're wrong. Hell, Nick Saban proposed that P-5 separate themselves not that long ago, because he thought the competition outside P-5 was weak (that was AFTER losing to Utah). I guess since Utah isn't a G-5 that removes that embarrassing loss, but it doesn't remove every other G-5 that might rise to the challenge.

CFP isn't a playoff. They can call it whatever they want. There's no law saying you can't name your kid "Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde" it's your kid. CFP is a revision (a big one, but nevertheless still a revision) to what used to be the BCS. Now, instead of two teams being included in the title game, it's 4 teams.

Holdings are still in BCS (or at least were). I'm sure the lawyers got CFP all over it, but it's the same metric, slightly revised that utililizes a similar format. You want to get into CFP? Then petition the Cotton and Orange Bowls for inclusion. They're going to take whoever the **** they want. There's no governing body telling either bowl who to take, I guarantee it.

I don't doubt people work as a committee. But the committee is people associated with the participating bowls. 13 people right? That's 2 for each bowl and I assume one to sign off on the NC (the game played after it). You don't need two people to sign off on something everyone is agreeing to.

That's CFP. Bowl committees telling the board what to do. Simple as that.

27. _RollTideRoll_

_RollTideRoll_ Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

And who might you be?

28. 285exp

285exp Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If maximizing eyeballs was the deciding factor, Alabama wouldn’t have been the choice. The Big10 market would have been better for ratings instead of having 2 SEC teams.

29. DawginSC

Expand Collapse

I disagree. While everyone hates alabama... everyone watches them too. Even if they're watching in the hopes of seeing them lose.

Kind of like the Howard Stern movie. The people who loved him listened to see what he'd do next. Those who hated him listened to see what he'd do next.

Hate is great at capturing viewers. In CFB I'd say it's the primary driver of viewership. And nobody is hated more than Alabama. OSU is probably second.

RTR...USN (ret) likes this.
  30. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Moderator
    Expand Collapse

That's my point though. They have 1 stat that isn't even over all production just a specific offensive statistic, I don't see a reason to rank them any higher than they are. So far their opponents haven't been all that. Their over all stats haven't been all that. They are already missing a data point because of a weather cancellation. Their only game against a P5 opponent by all means is not any power house. And yes they killed them. But if you are a 'good' team you should kill the bad teams you play.

I will say this unfortunately money is the goal of the playoff. More than anything. Face it College football is about generating cash for the schools. And UCF just doesn't have that draw nationally. It sucks, it isn't fair. But there also isn't any thing to do about it except keep winning. As long as they are a G5 team they will always be considered a different class of team.

We all know any team can beat anyone on any given day. But when you look at the stats on paper collectively, which team do you think UCF would beat that is in the top 4 right now?

31. Poolside Knight

Poolside Knight Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

UCF might lose this Saturday...the guys in the desert obviously see something in the matchup to where the line is so low

if UCF gets past Memphis I feel like running the table is likely, Charlie Strong doesn't scare me at all & that game is 'away' but will feel like a neutral site game

UCFhonors likes this.
  32. srinivas_ramachandran

srinivas_ramachandran Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If viewership is so important, the committee should be made up of network execs and advertising execs.

33. ocalaman

ocalaman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I like UCF and pull for them regularly. My son is an alumni. And the conference they're in is decent, but it's not like playing a P5 schedule week in and week out. They can only beat who is on their schedule and they've done that with great success the last 2 years. And beating the #3 SEC team in a bowl last year was impressive. But until they get invited to and join a P5 conference they will never make the 4 team playoff. Strength of schedule just isn't there.

34. KnightNasty

KnightNasty Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We could play with any team not named Bama... and no one can play with Bama.

bamaman1952 and RTR...USN (ret) like this.
  35. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Moderator
    Expand Collapse

This guy gets it.

36. Red Burns Brighter

Red Burns Brighter Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Probably because you don’t play any good teams

bamaman1952 likes this.
  37. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

DeputyDodge and bullg8r52 like this.
  38. MelbBamaFan

MelbBamaFan Moderator
    Expand Collapse

If he’d said UCF didn’t deserve to be in the CFP, would you have posted that? If not, then your admiration of the tweet is purely situational and not based on your longstanding regard for The OBC as the authority on CFB.

bamaman1952 likes this.
  39. Brotherfease

Brotherfease Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Navy is 2-3, so no.

40. CTN-1

CTN-1 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The basic answer here is that they are neither Ted Williams or Greys

UCFhonors likes this.