A civil discussion of politics

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by TheDude1, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep---If you don't do it when the eco is good, then its impossible later b/c it increases the gap. But, you cant go crazy and pay a wage thats undeserving of a menial job

2. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lifeguarding pays pretty well by teenager standards, I'm pretty sure. You have to be certified and you're guarding lives, after all.

On the bold part: Could a minimum wage be negotiated locally/regionally based on a handful of cost of living standards such that there was an inverse relationship of sorts? Like, if rent runs high, minimum wage is higher, or if it's insanely cheap, it is lower? Va has like 50 cents less gas tax per gallon than NC, for example. Could that be like a +10 cents/hour in NC's favor?

3. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

anon_0astpxev9h4gk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I agree, I'm mostly speaking on the behalf of someone working a fast food job, but tackling another job simulataneoulsy just to barely afford rent in a shoddy apartment. Everyone's situation is different.

Quavarius likes this.
  4. Dattier

Expand Collapse

There's nothing mature about his loaded questions.
    Providing evidence of an appropriate label isn't name-calling any more than calling you a troll is (see every reply to me over the last several pages).

Quavarius likes this.
  5. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I certainly do not envy him or his position but I was talking more about having to write that article. Covfefe was funny for about 5 minutes but quickly became low hanging fruit that should be material for comedians, not journalists at major news outlets.

TheDude1 and Quavarius like this.
  6. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Stop making excuses for your name calling. Just grow up and act a bit more civil.

7. toonces11

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, might make it too complicated to be absolutely fair to the employer and worker. Maybe err on the side of the worker just a hair and give a little more latitude on hiring and firing acceptable employees.

8. Dattier

Expand Collapse

Yeah, my example got way more complicated than it was in my head as I typed it. lol

They have formulas or algorithms or divining rods to figure out cost of living and how far x amount goes, etc. If we went the route of adjusted wages according to location, it would be inherently more complicated than one federal minimum wage, but we'd take that on based on the principle of that's being the fairest thing for all involved.

Quavarius likes this.
  9. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I mean, all Spicer had to say it was a mistake. It became a story because he's made an elaborate attempt of not admitting it was a mistake, which is why it's still in the headlines.

He's just giving Melissa more material.

schoonerwest likes this.
  10. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

11. toonces11

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Or in a perfect world base it off of the financial success of the company % wise---so it can fluctuate year to year---again, probably not possible

12. Dattier

Expand Collapse

That sounds more like what stockholders sign up for. At the level of minimum wage, I wouldn't think that risk was as acceptable.

Quavarius likes this.
  13. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

*Love* the idea... a number of people who are an issue are active online. However, the practicality of it confuses me... won't they just create a fake account or whatever? I mean, my sixth graders do it.

Quavarius likes this.
  14. USMC Cat

USMC Cat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You going to answer my question yet? Or are you going to give me some philosophical spiel about how I just don't understand?

I'll ask for a fifth time now, and again, your options are simple:

Yes, you'd be okay if Trump did the same thing.

No, you would not be okay if Trump did the same thing.

15. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Man... Cat, Dat, you guys are just talking past each other at this point. Cat, you keep insisting that you want a yes/no answer on something that Dat has already said is too simplified to make sense.

You guys seem too fired up at each other to really get anywhere today... just saying...

16. Dattier

Expand Collapse

Have you quit beating your girlfriend yet?

17. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

I think the article said they are looking at social media profiles dating back like the last 5 or 6 years. So they aren't just looking at the current profile, but other profiles said person would have been linked to over that period of time. I agree, great idea, hopefully the cost isn't awful.

18. ChiTownSean

ChiTownSean Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

87 consecutive months of job gains in the 'bartender and waiter' category - if they develop robot servers with big boobs, this economy will be in for a horrible awakening...

USMC Cat and TheDude1 like this.
  19. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Uncalled for, Datt. I don't want to see you banned again so stop getting so personal.

20. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

Not yet. She still refuses to answer when I ask her simple questions.

21. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

I asked a simple question that requires a simple answer. The truth is, there's no getting out of what he said, and it'd look terrible if you were to excuse one president for behavior that you would be upset at another president for doing. He knows it, I know it.

But, now that he's stated that he refuses to answer said simple question, I'm over it. jumpingsmile

hailtoyourvictor likes this.
  22. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

The day is coming.

I know people have been saying that for like 20 years, but one day...

McDonald's announced that it would roll out digital self-order kiosks and table service in all of its 14,000 U.S. stores. Customers will be able to order at touch screens and then pick up a number with a digital locator, which will allow employees to serve them at their tables. Next year customers will also be able to order and pay on the company's mobile app, which has 16 million downloads.

Pretty soon we won't need to argue over what a burger flipper should be paid.

ChiTownSean and hailtoyourvictor like this.
  23. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I know this is the future but I'm not a fan of it. I'm also not a fan of the self checkout at grocery stores.

24. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I think the issue is that what you see as a simple question isn't necessarily a simple question... reading this, I would think Dattier would think that you are reducing what is actually a rather complicated concept with a bunch of SUPER important moving parts to a possibly-over-simplified yes/no just to score a point, you know?

Dattier likes this.
  25. anon_0astpxev9h4gk

anon_0astpxev9h4gk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You realize there's other jobs aside from fast food that pay minimum wage?

Quavarius likes this.
  26. Dattier

Expand Collapse

Nuh-uh! He's never met anyone who works for minimum wage except for fast food exceot for that one girl who lied about it, so there.

Quavarius and anon_0astpxev9h4gk like this.
  27. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

The question was, would you be okay if Donald Trump did the same thing?

Does that seem overly complicated to you? Lol

28. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

For example...?

3.3 percent of working adults make min wage. As in, 3.3 percent of ALL workers are actually paid the min. wage.

I would venture to guess that the majority of those work in fast food, or more generally, the service industry, which will soon become automated. But, I'd be curious to know who else makes min wage. I'd really be curious to know how many people make min wage that DON'T work in the service industry.

I mean, I guess waiters and waitresses. Beyond that..?

29. BuilderBob6

BuilderBob6 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Trump proudly announced to the world that we are out. Later in the speech, he offers to renegotiate. That might be the way to negotiate a real estate deal, it's not the best way in the world of geopolitics.
    We're 5 months into this administration, seems like enough time to have been talking to our "friends" about the climate treaty, bringing up the problems we have and trying to find a solution.
    But since it appears our president started thinking about the treaty last week........and was still trying to make his decision at the last minute, it's obvious he wasn't interested in negotiating. When he is calling people right and left to get input on the decision it shows how much thought he has put into the issue. He got what he wanted, his moment in the sun in front of the planet, his opportunity to essentially say "you're fired" to the world.

What you and people like you that don't look ahead don't see is we just abdicated the leadership position in the fastest growing business in the world. When countries buy their renewable energy technology from some one else we will not have all the new jobs this president has promised. Our standing in the world is nosediving and that affects everything, so much more than climate change. The ramifications will be tremendous. Trump and his supporters will then find a way to blame it on someone else.
    You wanna try and talk down to me some more? Or maybe read something other than the headlines?

Quavarius likes this.
  30. Dattier

Expand Collapse

No one said you overcomplicated anything. EVER.

You received an answer:
    You claim President Obama did this on a whim, which is wrong. You claim I supported it on those terms, which is also wrong. You were told you were wrong. You repeated it, which is where being wrong became lying.

Quavarius likes this.
  31. toonces11

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You want to make a million dollars??

Become Safe Space Lifeguard to save college students who are drowning in their own BS. Its all ready in high demand. (credit d miller)

ChiTownSean likes this.
  32. Dattier

Expand Collapse

He specified fast food; you requested he provide examples outside the service industry. More of your pathetic attempt to shift the goalposts.

Quavarius likes this.
  33. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Eh. There is a reason Republicans aren't well known for comedy;)

Quavarius likes this.
  34. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Except for me when I play 2k SmokinSmile

35. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

Not anymore, 81!:)

(Sorry btw, didnt see your message until after 9:00 yesterday... :( )

36. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

He, literally, just said this:

you see as a simple question isn't necessarily a simple question

And I asked if the question was overly complicated.

I got that much; you used not having Congress on your side as an excuse as to why you're okay with what he did (which you deny). I get that much, even though I think you over exaggerate the situation (because maybe Congress didn't work with him because all of his ideas were shit. Crazy thought). But when I ask you if the situation was reversed, would you be cool with it, and you start calling me a brick wall... well, that leads us to an endless cat and mouse game where I ask a question, and you deflect away.

Your 'answer' doesn't answer my question. Do you not see that?

I never said it was on a whim; I have no doubts he had planned that move months in advance. I also don't doubt he knew that Congress wouldn't agree with him, not because they hated him, but because it was a stupid ****ing idea.

So, again, I totally get why he did what he did. It was never about that. It was about whether or not you'd be cool if the situation were reversed, and Trump did the same thing. He could even use the excuse that Congress won't work with him (whether that's real, or just completely made up because he knows his idea will get shot down), if it will make the situations that much more similar.

37. JimboBBN

Expand Collapse

Ha, you're fine bro. We will play tonight for sure. No game on to distract me.

TheDude1 likes this.
  38. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

A bunch of the GOP congress decided they wouldn't work with Obama LONG before he put forward any ideas. You are aware of this, I hope... it was a decided-upon strategy, to obstruct as much as possible to prevent anything from happening and to try to make him a one term president.

Quavarius likes this.
  39. USMC Cat

Expand Collapse

Sure, this much is true, and it's unfortunate. But let's not act like this doesn't go both ways when the same thing happened in reverse just a few weeks ago with the confirmation of Gorsuch.

Its all good, the stupidity cost them 1,000 nominations in 8 years so it all worked out in the end.

40. TheDude1

Expand Collapse

I think the only reason the Dems did it was because of the years of Republican obstructionism. Democrats just aren't the same as the Republicans... they aren't quite as ruthless, and I don't think it would have ever occurred to them to DO that if the Republicans hadn't done it first. Even when they DO try to do that, they suck at it.

Quavarius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.