ADVERTISEMENT

9/11 18 years later.

LetsGoDuke301

Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Team
Duke
Every year seems like you can't believe it has been that long. So many lives lost and altered. From the day of to the ongoing wars and the illnesses that have fallen on so many survivors and first responders. A day that filled our country with sadness, anger and eventual togetherness. Let us never forget the brave firefighters, EMT and police officers as well as citizen heroes that went up those stairs to save lives. Many of whom lost their own lives. Let us also never forget the soldiers who have died serving our country and the many many more who have injuries that have changed their lives forever.

Tragedies are nothing new to our country and will always shape the future. Learning from them and coming together to make sure they don't happen again is the most important thing that we can do as a nation. Bless all that were lost and the families and friends that lost them. That's all.

I moved from Columbus to Tampa right after that and a guy flew a plane into a highrise building that winter. Crazy times doesn't explain it.

I remember where I was at when the Berlin Wall fell, Challenger explosion, first strikes in Iraq, and 9/11.

Reactions: hawkit3113
I was living in San Diego, working the 11pm-730am shift for USPS and some of the postal drivers said that a plane flew into one of the towers in NY. When I got home and saw what happened on TV I couldn't believe it and San Diego being a military town was fired up. Also the Tijuana and Otay Mesa border crossings to Mexico were closed for a few days which meant anyone that lived in in Mexico couldn't go to school or work.

Just turned 18. We knew there’d be war as soon as it was apparent it was intentional. Possibility of a draft seemed very real, but everyone at time just wanted to help.

A neighbor of mine signed up. Served two tours in Iraq. He was technically done with his service, but went back to help his friends. He was killed by IED in second tour.

When I was around 6 and he was a few years older, he basically taught me how to play football. Always appreciated him for that. Who wants to play football with a 6 year old? Anyways, that’s the kind of guy he was.

I had just turned 20. I remember watching it thinking it was just a plane that a single person had crashed by accident. You then see the second plane come out of nowhere and hit the tower. It still makes me sick watching it again. The people jumping from the building makes me cringe every-time. They need to do the world a favor and kill anyone associated with the Taliban

Reactions: toonces11
I was a freshmen in high school in computer class, and one Kid in the class had an aunt who worked at the twin towers die in the attack. Truly tragic and despicable

From two years ago. Because witnessing and remembering is important.

Lived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown. I said that people like to make stuff up. Still have no idea how the kid knew.

Then the principal started coming around and telling us. A lot of phones were down, and there weren't computers in the classrooms and people didn't have iphones or anything.

We got only a bit of news. It was really scary, because we just couldn't find out what was happening. We heard about the Pentagon, and there were rumors that the Supreme Court had been attacked... and then the fighters started screaming overhead, and I genuinely believed WWIII had started.

Parents started to come and get kids. An aide sat in the back with an ear bud in, and told us what he could figure out.

At around 10:45 I went out to get food for everyone. The streets were PACKED... like a completely full subway, with everyone walking north. Now, 106th is MILES from Ground Zero... but everyone was just running away. Saw people covered in the dust. Went into a restaurant, where there were a hundred people around a TV, and there was a shot of one of the towers still standing, and I blurted out "Wait, are the towers still up?!?" and everyone turned and one person said "No, that's from before."

Eventually school closed and I went over to 5th ave to catch a bus downtown, because the subways were down. The only traffic was buses, and HUGE convoys of tractor trailers with medical supply names on the sides, and humvees. I still didn't know everything that had happened.

When the bus got a bit further south I leaned out (it was a bus where everyone faced each other) and looked downtown, and my heart stopped. I hadnt seen the plume yet, and it basically covered the entire horizon. I think I gasped, and everyone else leaned over and looked down the length of the bus, and you could tell nobody had really SEEN it yet, because everyone was floored.

I lived below the cordoned off zone.

Met all my friends at my buddy's apartment on Thompson, which was also below the cordoned off zone. When our friend who actually worked at the towers showed up at the door we all burst into tears and hugged. My college roommates dad also worked there, but got out safely we learned later.

Everything was dusty. That night it was silent. I had a corner apartment on the NE corner of MacDougal and 3rd. I could see right down south MacDougal and see the plume. There were huge floodlights all night, lighting it up. I got high, and sat on my fire escape on the 3rd floor, and watched four kids (I assume NYU students) play frisbee in the empty West Village streets while a kid jumped up and down smoking a joint on a trampoline right in the middle of the intersection of MacDougal and 3rd. Occasionally they would call out "car!" and move for the humvees or whatever that came by. It was silent, and eerie.

The fire department on my block (now Anderson Cooper's house) lost a guy... Keith Roma. The flowers outside the place took up the ENTIRE block, five or six feet wide and three or four feet deep.

There were missing person posters EVERYWHERE. Myentire neighborhood was covered in them. This is Rays, which was a couple of blocks over...

main_900.jpg

And another.

a5fce7a0dde9af4a5e39c488dca3bbfa.jpg

Another shot...

Fcobb00-R3-7_6.jpg

I remember two that stuck out.

One was an older man, and on the poster it said he had six grandkids.

Another was a pretty young blond woman in a white dress. On the poster it said she had just gotten married.

I knew that nobody needed to know any of that to find them... it was just their loved ones heartache.

The Daily News the next day... I remember seeing this cover...

images

... and thinking "Holy shit. If there are 10,000 of us dead... how the hell can we ever recover?"

My best friend was in the National Guard and was called in for body recovery on the 12th. He called me on the way in, and we talked. We didn't talk again for three days. He called when he had come back out, and had a breakdown. He just kept talking about what it was like to find the bodies, the parts, and having to MOVE them... he kept talking about the weight of them. I quickly got out of town (he lived in NJ) and got over to his place, and we got in the car and left, drove up to Vermont, and stayed up there for a few days so he could get his head straight.

Everything I owned was dusty for a month after, and the smell... the smell stuck around for six months. The plume, the smoke... it lasted what felt like forever.

I didn't see any footage or photos of it for... for a long, long time? I couldn't. Maybe years later, I did... The first thing I really saw was when I was at the New York Historical Society, and I walked past a door, and there was a movie theatre inside, and on the screen as part of a 9/11 exhibit they were just playing a single shot... a single steady shot of one of the towers burning. A close up, showing maybe the top twenty or thirty floors. I happened to look to the right as I passed, and it hit me like a truck. I just stood there, mouth open, and watched the video from the doorway for maybe ten minutes. I just couldn't move. I still don't really watch anything about it.

When the big power outage happened, everyone I know panicked; we assumed we got hit again. Every time a plane flew low, my then-girlfriend and I would pause, and wait, until it passed. The plane crash in Queens a month or so later had everyone panicked. And every time there was fireworks in the city, the streets would be full of frightened people, thinking we were under attack.

Worst day of my life, without question.

There was SO much crap in the air... my buddy who worked recovery remembers they were told not to take their respirators off for ANYTHING, at any time. It was just such thick, nasty shit...

From two years ago. Because witnessing and remembering is important.

Lived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown. I said that people like to make stuff up. Still have no idea how the kid knew.

Then the principal started coming around and telling us. A lot of phones were down, and there weren't computers in the classrooms and people didn't have iphones or anything.

We got only a bit of news. It was really scary, because we just couldn't find out what was happening. We heard about the Pentagon, and there were rumors that the Supreme Court had been attacked... and then the fighters started screaming overhead, and I genuinely believed WWIII had started.

Parents started to come and get kids. An aide sat in the back with an ear bud in, and told us what he could figure out.

At around 10:45 I went out to get food for everyone. The streets were PACKED... like a completely full subway, with everyone walking north. Now, 106th is MILES from Ground Zero... but everyone was just running away. Saw people covered in the dust. Went into a restaurant, where there were a hundred people around a TV, and there was a shot of one of the towers still standing, and I blurted out "Wait, are the towers still up?!?" and everyone turned and one person said "No, that's from before."

Eventually school closed and I went over to 5th ave to catch a bus downtown, because the subways were down. The only traffic was buses, and HUGE convoys of tractor trailers with medical supply names on the sides, and humvees. I still didn't know everything that had happened.

When the bus got a bit further south I leaned out (it was a bus where everyone faced each other) and looked downtown, and my heart stopped. I hadnt seen the plume yet, and it basically covered the entire horizon. I think I gasped, and everyone else leaned over and looked down the length of the bus, and you could tell nobody had really SEEN it yet, because everyone was floored.

I lived below the cordoned off zone.

Met all my friends at my buddy's apartment on Thompson, which was also below the cordoned off zone. When our friend who actually worked at the towers showed up at the door we all burst into tears and hugged. My college roommates dad also worked there, but got out safely we learned later.

Everything was dusty. That night it was silent. I had a corner apartment on the NE corner of MacDougal and 3rd. I could see right down south MacDougal and see the plume. There were huge floodlights all night, lighting it up. I got high, and sat on my fire escape on the 3rd floor, and watched four kids (I assume NYU students) play frisbee in the empty West Village streets while a kid jumped up and down smoking a joint on a trampoline right in the middle of the intersection of MacDougal and 3rd. Occasionally they would call out "car!" and move for the humvees or whatever that came by. It was silent, and eerie.

The fire department on my block (now Anderson Cooper's house) lost a guy... Keith Roma. The flowers outside the place took up the ENTIRE block, five or six feet wide and three or four feet deep.

There were missing person posters EVERYWHERE. Myentire neighborhood was covered in them. This is Rays, which was a couple of blocks over...

main_900.jpg

And another.

a5fce7a0dde9af4a5e39c488dca3bbfa.jpg

Another shot...

Fcobb00-R3-7_6.jpg

I remember two that stuck out.

One was an older man, and on the poster it said he had six grandkids.

Another was a pretty young blond woman in a white dress. On the poster it said she had just gotten married.

I knew that nobody needed to know any of that to find them... it was just their loved ones heartache.

The Daily News the next day... I remember seeing this cover...

images

... and thinking "Holy shit. If there are 10,000 of us dead... how the hell can we ever recover?"

My best friend was in the National Guard and was called in for body recovery on the 12th. He called me on the way in, and we talked. We didn't talk again for three days. He called when he had come back out, and had a breakdown. He just kept talking about what it was like to find the bodies, the parts, and having to MOVE them... he kept talking about the weight of them. I quickly got out of town (he lived in NJ) and got over to his place, and we got in the car and left, drove up to Vermont, and stayed up there for a few days so he could get his head straight.

Everything I owned was dusty for a month after, and the smell... the smell stuck around for six months. The plume, the smoke... it lasted what felt like forever.

I didn't see any footage or photos of it for... for a long, long time? I couldn't. Maybe years later, I did... The first thing I really saw was when I was at the New York Historical Society, and I walked past a door, and there was a movie theatre inside, and on the screen as part of a 9/11 exhibit they were just playing a single shot... a single steady shot of one of the towers burning. A close up, showing maybe the top twenty or thirty floors. I happened to look to the right as I passed, and it hit me like a truck. I just stood there, mouth open, and watched the video from the doorway for maybe ten minutes. I just couldn't move. I still don't really watch anything about it.

When the big power outage happened, everyone I know panicked; we assumed we got hit again. Every time a plane flew low, my then-girlfriend and I would pause, and wait, until it passed. The plane crash in Queens a month or so later had everyone panicked. And every time there was fireworks in the city, the streets would be full of frightened people, thinking we were under attack.

Worst day of my life, without question.

As a total side note I ate at that Ray’s Pizza in Greenwich last time I was in New York. A $1 slice of pizza is a good thing, I’m not hating. I mean it was good, but Chicago-style pizza is just better.

As a total side note I ate at that Ray’s Pizza in Greenwich last time I was in New York. A $1 slice of pizza is a good thing, I’m not hating. I mean it was good, but Chicago-style pizza is just better.

Hah! I’ll take NYC all day long:)

It’s good pizza, but that’s the extent of it.

(That said, at 3 am after you’ve been drinking, it is the best goddamned pizza on EARTH.)

Such a terrible day. I live in Wisconsin and just read a story about a young woman (25) who flew out to New York for a business meeting the day before. It was her first time going to New York and her flight out of O'Hare was cancelled twice. If it was cancelled a third time, she was going to wait a day to fly out.

Her husband said she called him that morning from way up in one of the towers and all was fine.

Crazy to think about how that day started off as just another day for so many people.

Document

I was teaching. We were given the code red on discussing it that day but obviously we did with each other. Some friends came over that night and we just drank beer and kind of watched the coverage in very somber silence.

Over the years we have had a number of students who had parents or relatives in those buildings.

I was in like 3rd grade and I remember in after-school care I was telling all the kids it was Palestine who did it.

Time just keeps on cruising by. It really doesn't seem like that much time has passed. I guess thats how it gets after 25 or 30. The only period time stops----is Jan and Feb----and it lasts about 6 month in KS
You ain't a kiddin'. I was 3 years removed from Active duty. Man. Just doesn't seem that long ago.

America needs more September 12ths than September 11ths
This night be the best statement ever. I mean, this is so damn true. Our country was never so united as it was during that time. Race didn't exist. No one was white...or black. Hispanic. We were all ONE. For a short time, this country, from.a race, perspective, was well....perfect. Sad. SAD that it took a national tragedy to do so. I wish people could revisit that day, and the days that followed. Maybe they'd realize-- " We can get along".

Reactions: JimboBBN
This night be the best statement ever. I mean, this is so damn true. Our country was never so united as it was during that time. Race didn't exist. No one was white...or black. Hispanic. We were all ONE. For a short time, this country, from.a race, perspective, was well....perfect. Sad. SAD that it took a national tragedy to do so. I wish people could revisit that day, and the days that followed. Maybe they'd realize-- " We can get along".
I think regular people do realize this. It's the sheltered people who rely on media portrayal of society or the people who judge the masses according to the few that don't. Maybe it's a big city thing and I'm just not aware of it. Maybe I am just sheltered in a bubble where people get along. IDK.

I still, to this day, don't understand why our middle school made us watch that live.

I was 12, had no clue what the WTC's were. They had us turn on our tv's in class after 1st plane hit and watch the rest unfold. Seems kind of weird to make young kids watch that shit. I was just confused but knew it was serious from the adults reactions.

The two things that I remember most from that day was my math teacher balling because her brother worked there. She had zero clue if he was okay or not (turns out he managed to leave the buildings). Then after school seeing the city panic. Gas stations and grocery stores looked like everyone was preparing to hide in their homes for a year.

I think regular people do realize this. It's the sheltered people who rely on media portrayal of society or the people who judge the masses according to the few that don't. Maybe it's a big city thing and I'm just not aware of it. Maybe I am just sheltered in a bubble where people get along. IDK.
I don't think there's a such thing as regular people anymore. Rather you think your influenced or not...You probably are. It's become a "me society. Has been for a long time. BUT..for a few moments? Man...Was this country great, or what? It was how it was when our grandparents were growing up---Respect. Morals. Helping your neighbor. TBH, all of us live in some sort of bubble. It's expected. We all live in different environments; for the most part. Different upbringing .what you see as normal....I migh see it as weird.
It's just how life goes. But regardless of how we were raised...where we live, erc, etc...Having common courtesy for tgis country should always be there. It's not. Except for well, on Sept 12th, 2001. We existed as "A" nation. Not a separated one.

I still, to this day, don't understand why our middle school made us watch that live.

I was 12, had no clue what the WTC's were. They had us turn on our tv's in class after 1st plane hit and watch the rest unfold. Seems kind of weird to make young kids watch that shit. I was just confused but knew it was serious from the adults reactions.

The two things that I remember most from that day was my math teacher balling because her brother worked there. She had zero clue if he was okay or not (turns out he managed to leave the buildings). Then after school seeing the city panic. Gas stations and grocery stores looked like everyone was preparing to hide in their homes for a year.
I was 10 and in grade school watching the Challenger take off and when it exploded, the teacher quickly plunged to turn the tv off. I can remember it taking a second for everyone to process, and a bunch of kids just started crying all at once.

I will be 27 in December. Those were simpler times haha

Man, that puts it in perspective. A person who was in 3rd grade on 9/11 is now 27. Sheesh. Makes me feel old (I was in 11th).

And yes, I remember that day with incredible vividness.

ADVERTISEMENT