ADVERTISEMENT

6th Annual College Basketball Draft

Foster Loyer, trying his best to lead the nation in every stat, including turnovers. Win Shares look solid, though.

foster-loyer.png

Foster Loyer, trying his best to lead the nation in every stat, including turnovers. Win Shares look solid, though.

foster-loyer.png
His brother went 5-12 from three in his first game as a freshman for Purdue. Crazy that he’s 6’6 and Foster is 5’3.

His brother went 5-12 from three in his first game as a freshman for Purdue. Crazy that he’s 6’6 and Foster is 5’3.

Yeah, I saw that. Fletcher's going to have a solid career.

If Foster were 6'6, I gotta imagine he'd have a long NBA career. If you look at the past 20 years, NBA players are shorter across the board - except for the point guards. Those guards are getting taller and longer; unfortunate for guys like Loyer. I'm sure he'll do well in Europe, though.

average20height20in20the20nba20by20position-15445803-main.png

Reactions: boilerzz
dammit, I should've drafted Gradey Dick instead of making fun of his name for the entire draft. And obviously should've drafted Filipowski as well. And drafted the DePaul Junamji guard.

Lots of regrets right now at the bottom of the draft.

Surprised he lasted this long. I thought for sure GE Nole would have taken him with one of his two picks.

Just feel like Edey's floor/ceiling is really high. TCU and Duke both project to better teams than Purdue, so that should help with Win Shares.

Here's what I said about Edey after he was taken. I was surprised he slid into the 2nd round. He was HM All-American last season just playing 19 minutes a game. Has that ever been done before!?

Taking him would have been a little easier if 1. We knew Purdue was going to be good as they've showcased in the first two weeks or 2. If we knew his stamina would allow him to play around 30 minutes a night.

Purdue is much, much better than anticipated - and Edey evidently is much better conditioned than I would have expected. He's now the early season favorite for NPOY. Crazy.

Just curious, was anyone looking at taking Brandon Miller in the early rounds? I took him in Round 4, but honestly felt like I could have taken him in Round 5, 6, or maybe even later.

Passing on him for another round just seemed way too risky. His ceiling is incredibly high. He was slightly under the radar because he wasn't a top 10 recruit, but he had a fantastic summer. Before the draft started, the only freshmen that I felt like could make 1st Team All-American were Nick Smith, Keyonte George, Cam Whitmore, and Brandon Miller.

There's a decent chance I could get this guy in another round. But, his ceiling is really, really high. Just can't pass on him...

Brandon Miller, Alabama

Reactions: MGC_07
Just curious, was anyone looking at taking Brandon Miller in the early rounds? I took him in Round 4, but honestly felt like I could have taken him in Round 5, 6, or maybe even later.

Passing on him for another round just seemed way too risky. His ceiling is incredibly high. He was slightly under the radar because he wasn't a top 10 recruit, but he had a fantastic summer. Before the draft started, the only freshmen that I felt like could make 1st Team All-American were Nick Smith, Keyonte George, Cam Whitmore, and Brandon Miller.
I definitely would have taken him by the 6th, maybe 5th. Don't remember for sure. Dude is a stud and in an offense that really allows him to put up counting stats. But even with that, I didn't see 19 and 9.

As Quinerly rounds back into form, that should only make Miller better.

Oates has that Bama team rolling. Hard to believe a school like Bama could have 6 top 40 players in its rotation.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I definitely would have taken him by the 6th, maybe 5th. Don't remember for sure. Dude is a stud and in an offense that really allows him to put up counting stats. But even with that, I didn't see 19 and 9.

As Quinerly rounds back into form, that should only make Miller better.

Oates has that Bama team rolling. Hard to believe a school like Bama could have 6 top 40 players in its rotation.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting 19-9 either. Felt pretty good that he could make 1st Team All-Conference - and definitely saw All-American potential.

I'm liking this Alabama team a lot. Athletic, good guard play, and they can defend. Quinerly returning to form could potentially make them a top 5 team. Definitely a threat to win the SEC and make a run at the Final Four.

Still trying to figure out why I would’ve drafted Joe ****ing Girard

He averaged around 50 ppg at the same high school as Jimmer. All-time leading scorer in the state of New York. But, he ain't Jimmer.

Might sneak onto one of the ACC teams if they win enough games, but Jesse Edwards should be the 1st Orange to make an all-conference team.

Not nearly as bad as my Tyrese Proctor pick. I was fed questionable information from insiders. I was hearing stock was soaring on Proctor (from multiple insiders!) ... and insiders said Flip's offense is good, but his defense might limit the number of minutes he gets. Filipowski obviously could have been taken much, much higher in this draft. I think I scared some people away when I mentioned he wasn't with the 1st Team in practice for a bit (which was true).

let's get one thing straight. You took Brandon Miller because I allowed you to take him.

let's get one thing straight. You took Brandon Miller because I allowed you to take him.

That was very gracious of you. Forever thankful.

I would have been finished had you taken both Kris Murray and Brandon Miller. Fortunately, my backup guy for the 3rd Round, Adam Flagler, is playing close to an All-American level. I will concede, however, that Kris Murray looks like a legit 1st Team All-American candidate.

• Sad
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
He averaged around 50 ppg at the same high school as Jimmer. All-time leading scorer in the state of New York. But, he ain't Jimmer.

Might sneak onto one of the ACC teams if they win enough games, but Jesse Edwards should be the 1st Orange to make an all-conference team.

Not nearly as bad as my Tyrese Proctor pick. I was fed questionable information from insiders. I was hearing stock was soaring on Proctor (from multiple insiders!) ... and insiders said Flip's offense is good, but his defense might limit the number of minutes he gets. Filipowski obviously could have been taken much, much higher in this draft. I think I scared some people away when I mentioned he wasn't with the 1st Team in practice for a bit (which was true).
I’d probably consider trading Girard for Proctor straight up, if we did that kind of thing. At least Proctor has a high ceiling. Girard is 37 years old and taking a jackhammer to his floor daily.

I’d probably consider trading Girard for Proctor straight up, if we did that kind of thing. At least Proctor has a high ceiling. Girard is 37 years old and taking a jackhammer to his floor daily.

37 lol. Girard does seem like he's been there forever. He's got a little bit of that Perry Ellis spirit.

It's wild that we had a top 5 recruit go in Round 11. I know I'm mostly to be blamed for that. I never hated his game, I just feared a very versatile Mitchell would slide to the 4 and KF would have to split a lot of time with Lively.

But seriously, everything I was hearing was like, "It's going to be a process for him...Likely stays at least two years... Probably not an actual top 10 recruit... Minutes will be limited due to his defensive liability."

Filipowksi is clearly Duke's best player - and he's also one of the best freshman in the country.

so far this is how I rate my draft:

Sasser = Great pick, on his way to possible first team AA
Vescovi = not a great pick, but just needs to pick up his shooting to be in he running for top All conference honors
K Murray = one of the best picks of the entire draft, on his way to first team AA
Maldonado = solid pick, doing what was expected. Better than the guys taken after him
Roach = not a bad pick, doing enough to earn a spot on all conference. no one taken right after him that impressive
Javonte Perkins = not good, but not terrible. Playing well enough to make his way onto all conference
Bynum = terrible pick
Pelle Larson = horrible pick
Caleb Daniels = very good pick. definitely all conference, but we'll see if his stats suffer when the injured players come back
Matthew Mayer = what the **** was I thinking? Serves me right for taking a player from Fvck Your Cousin U.
Jordan Hawkins = sucks
JJ Starling = doing pretty good as a freshman, could land all conference if he picks it up a little bit

Overall =
Great picks = 2
Good picks = 4
pretty good picks with potential = 2
terrible = 4

Projection: 1 first team AA, 1 2nd team AA, one possible CPOY from mid major, 3 players 2nd team all conf major, 1 player 3rd team all conf major, 1 player 2nd team all conf mid major

Not sure how many points that gets me, but I would imagine that's pretty solid result.

so far this is how I rate my draft:

Sasser = Great pick, on his way to possible first team AA
Vescovi = not a great pick, but just needs to pick up his shooting to be in he running for top All conference honors
K Murray = one of the best picks of the entire draft, on his way to first team AA
Maldonado = solid pick, doing what was expected. Better than the guys taken after him
Roach = not a bad pick, doing enough to earn a spot on all conference. no one taken right after him that impressive
Javonte Perkins = not good, but not terrible. Playing well enough to make his way onto all conference
Bynum = terrible pick
Pelle Larson = horrible pick
Caleb Daniels = very good pick. definitely all conference, but we'll see if his stats suffer when the injured players come back
Matthew Mayer = what the **** was I thinking? Serves me right for taking a player from Fvck Your Cousin U.
Jordan Hawkins = sucks
JJ Starling = doing pretty good as a freshman, could land all conference if he picks it up a little bit

Overall =
Great picks = 2
Good picks = 4
pretty good picks with potential = 2
terrible = 4

Projection: 1 first team AA, 1 2nd team AA, one possible CPOY from mid major, 3 players 2nd team all conf major, 1 player 3rd team all conf major, 1 player 2nd team all conf mid major

Not sure how many points that gets me, but I would imagine that's pretty solid result.

Guess there were only 3 guys you took that I really wanted. Sasser, Murray, and Hawkins. Sasser and Murray are your two best players, who are both playing like All-Americans. That will help quite a bit if they can retain that All-American level of play. Hawkins hasn't quite taken the leap that some of us expected. Not terrible, though, considering he was an 11th round pick. Worth the gamble.

Your comments about Maldonado and Roach playing better than the guys after them is interesting. I mean, if you're arguing that Maldonado is playing better than Jacob Toppin? Sure, I can buy that. But, just four picks below your pick was Terrence Shannon, who looks like a sure-fire All-American (19.9 ppg, 6.3 reb, 3.6 ast. 61% efg).

And Roach is playing okay, but the guy I took, the very next pick, was Drew Peterson. Would anyone take Roach over Peterson? Peterson is one of the most versatile players in college basketball. 14.9 ppg, 8.0 reb, and 6.4 ast.

Guess there were only 3 guys you took that I really wanted. Sasser, Murray, and Hawkins. Sasser and Murray are your two best players, who are both playing like All-Americans. That will help quite a bit if they can retain that All-American level of play. Hawkins hasn't quite taken the leap that some of us expected. Not terrible, though, considering he was an 11th round pick. Worth the gamble.

Your comments about Maldonado and Roach playing better than the guys after them is interesting. I mean, if you're arguing that Maldonado is playing better than Jacob Toppin? Sure, I can buy that. But, just four picks below your pick was Terrence Shannon, who looks like a sure-fire All-American (19.9 ppg, 6.3 reb, 3.6 ast. 61% efg).

And Roach is playing okay, but the guy I took, the very next pick, was Drew Peterson. Would anyone take Roach over Peterson? Peterson is one of the most versatile players in college basketball. 14.9 ppg, 8.0 reb, and 6.4 ast.
With Maldonado i was only looking at the 3 guys taken right after him. a couple kentucky stiffs and someone else.

Didn't know Peterson was doing that. If Roach steps it up a little bit in conference play and Duke wins the ACC he could squeak his way as high as first team all conference.

With Maldonado i was only looking at the 3 guys taken right after him. a couple kentucky stiffs and someone else.

Didn't know Peterson was doing that. If Roach steps it up a little bit in conference play and Duke wins the ACC he could squeak his way as high as first team all conference.

There is no way Roach makes 1st Team. None. He's not even Duke's best player. Might squeak onto the 3rd Team.

ACC is loaded with individual talent. Roach was the 10th ACC player taken in the draft. And then you have guys taken after him, or not drafted at all, who are clearly playing better. Tyree Appleby, Kyle Filipowski, Norchad Omier, Sean Padulla, Jarkel Joiner, Jesse Edwards, etc.

There is no way Roach makes 1st Team. None. He's not even Duke's best player. Might squeak onto the 3rd Team.

ACC is loaded with individual talent. Roach was the 10th ACC player taken in the draft. And then you have guys taken after him, or not drafted at all, who are clearly playing better. Tyree Appleby, Kyle Filipowski, Norchad Omier, Sean Padulla, Jarkel Joiner, Jesse Edwards, etc.
we'll see. Expecting a massive jump in Roach's game once we get to conference play. Probably gonna end up the #1 pick in the draft ahead of the big Frenchie when it's all said and done.

Reactions: dukedevilz
The suspense. With Pick "em. we get to see who's in the lead and be jealous of them.

This is tough.

I should do my team like @dukedevilz

What do you mean by that?

The suspense. With Pick "em. we get to see who's in the lead and be jealous of them.

This is tough.

I'll try to post the complete stats a couple times. In a little over a month, the Wooden Award will publish their midseason top 25 players. That should tell us a lot. Last year, I kind of felt like I had won when I had 5 guys in the top 25.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What do you mean by that?

I'll try to post the complete stats a couple times. In a little over a month, the Wooden Award will publish their midseason top 25 players. That should tell us a lot. Last year, I kind of felt like I had won when I had 5 guys in the top 25.
I'm a huge fan and I need to chart the stats of my picks. I haven't yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT