ADVERTISEMENT

5th Annual College Basketball Draft

Speaking of win shares, is there a way to get an extensive ranking of win shares than just the top 10 nationally or looking by team or top 20 by conference? That has to be cumbersome to pull if you have to go to team/conference pages to pull the data.

Nope. Just have to go conference by conference, or by a team. With this draft, I'm going to look at each individual player. Don't know any other way to pull the data.

Nope. Just have to go conference by conference, or by a team. With this draft, I'm going to look at each individual player. Don't know any other way to pull the data.
Crazy that they don't have the national leaders with a larger list. Even a top 100 for each would be helpful.

You can go ahead and drop my bottom 3 in WS.

Love started the year playing pretty well and looked like a decent pick. Has really fallen apart lately.

Dropping Caleb Love is tough. At the time, it probably didn't seem like a big loss. But, if UNC wins tonight, he very well might be the Final Four MVP.

• Wow
Reactions: GE Nole
Dropping Caleb Love is tough. At the time, it probably didn't seem like a big loss. But, if UNC wins tonight, he very well might be the Final Four MVP.
I know. Was just thinking about that. I’ll be a little bummed if that’s the difference between winning and losing, but I’ll be happy because that means UNC takes the title.

I know. Was just thinking about that. I’ll be a little bummed if that’s the difference between winning and losing, but I’ll be happy because that means UNC takes the title.

True. That's kind of how I do my brackets. I had Duke going out in the 2nd round to Michigan State. Figured I might as well be right one way or the other.

I haven't looked at the Win Shares in awhile, but it did seem like you were squarely in the top 5 somewhere.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
As you probably know, all-conference teams will all be determined by the traditional 5 players in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Team. The SEC has 9 players and Pac-12 & WCC has 10 players on the 1st Team. So, Win Shares will be the determining factor for the final four spots. The conference POY is automatically 1st Team. So, the next four are determined by the highest Win Shares. Also, the Big East doesn't have a 3rd Team. So, I also used Win Shares to determine the 3rd Team.

SEC
1st Team
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky- POY
Tari Eason, LSU- 5.9
Jabari Smith, Auburn- 5.6
Walker Kessler, Auburn- 5.5
Scotty Pippen, Vanderbilt- 5.5

2nd Team
Santiago Vescovi, Tennessee- 5.4
Jaylin Williams, Arkansas- 4.9
Iverson Molinar, Mississippi State- 4.8
JD Notae, Arkansas- 4.3
Quenton Jackson, Texas A&M- 5.5 (Wasn't voted on 1st Team like the 9 players above him, so 10th is his ceiling)

3rd Team
Darius Days, LSU- 5.1
Kennedy Chandler, Tennessee- 4.6
Colin Castleton, Florida- 4.5
TyTy Washington, Kentucky- 3.9
Kobe Brown, Missouri- 3.5

PAC-12
1st Team
Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona- POY
Christian Koloko, Arizona- 5.9
Jaime Jaquez, UCLA- 5.0
Terrell Brown, Washington- 4.9
Isaiah Mobley, USC- 4.9

2nd Team
Azuolas Tubelis, Arizona- 4.6
Tyger Campbell, UCLA- 4.5
Jabari Walker, Colorado- 4.3
Drew Peterson, USC- 4.1
Johnny Juzang, UCLA- 3.5

2nd Team All Pac-12 is only 5 members. Therefore, they become 3rd Team All-Conference in the scoring system.

BIG EAST
3rd Team (No Actual Third Team, So This is simply based off of the top 5 Win Shares)
Ryan Kalkbrenner, Creighton
Jack Nunge, Xavier
Jermaine Samuels, Villanova
Eric Dixon, Villanova
Colby Jones, Xavier

WCC
1st Team
Drew Timme, Gonzaga- POY
Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga- 6.3
Jamaree Bouyea, San Francisco- 5.9
Alex Barcello, BYU- 5.6
Jalen Williams, Santa Clara- 5.3

2nd Team
Matthias Tass, Saint Mary's- 5.2
Andrew Nembhard, Gonzaga- 5.0
Tommy Kuhse, Saint Mary's- 4.5
Yauhen Massalski, San Francisco- 4.4
Josip Vrankic, Santa Clara- 3.5

1st Team All-Conference by the Conferences
Power 6 Conferences (4 schools in the top 50): 4 points
AAC, MWC, WCC, A10, MVC (4 schools in the top 100): 3 points
Other 21 Conferences: 2 points

Alright, here are the Final Standings. I finally won this thing. I've been 2nd place three times.

@JimboBBN @WojoRising @Noahtogo24 @MGC_07 @Jaycg15 @GE Nole @hailtoyourvictor @WeAreDePaul @duckboy33 @boilerzz @FaithPlusOne

Final-Standings.png

And here are the top 25 most valuable players from the draft.

Top-Players.png

Last edited:
@FaithPlusOne Caleb Love would have bumped your total to 69.9 (assuming you dropped Davenport). I was thinking Posh Alexander would repeat as the Big East Defensive POY. It was awarded to Kalkbrenner instead. So, he didn't get any all-conference points. If you had Love in your Final 9 rotation - and if Alexander repeated as DPOY, your total score would have been 73.9, just 0.2 points behind 2nd. Crazy how a couple of things can be so substantial in this scoring system.

• Wow
@FaithPlusOne Caleb Love would have bumped your total to 69.9 (assuming you dropped Davenport). I was thinking Posh Alexander would repeat as the Big East Defensive POY. It was awarded to Kalkbrenner instead. So, he didn't get any all-conference points. If you had Love in your Final 9 rotation - and if Alexander repeated as DPOY, your total score would have been 73.9, just 0.2 points behind 2nd. Crazy how a couple of things can be so substantial in this scoring system.
I almost dropped Davenport instead, but didn’t think it was going to matter. Oops.

I’m still relatively happy with my performance this year. First time taking part and had a blast. Hope to be included next year as well. Thanks for all your work on this.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I almost dropped Davenport instead, but didn’t think it was going to matter. Oops.

I’m still relatively happy with my performance this year. First time taking part and had a blast. Hope to be included next year as well. Thanks for all your work on this.

I'll definitely tag you again! It was fun.

Takes a little bit of luck. There are always unfortunate injuries - and crazy surprises. Who knew Oscar Tshiebwe and Keegan Murray would be that dominant? Heck, none us even drafted Johnny Davis.

I'll definitely tag you again! It was fun.

Takes a little bit of luck. There are always unfortunate injuries - and crazy surprises. Who knew Oscar Tshiebwe and Keegan Murray would be that dominant? Heck, none us even drafted Johnny Davis.
I think if we put together the all time team of players not drafted since we started doing this that team might be better than the best of the best from all the players we drafted. Every year we miss some big ones. Trae Young. Johnny Davis.

I think if we put together the all time team of players not drafted since we started doing this that team might be better than the best of the best from all the players we drafted. Every year we miss some big ones. Trae Young. Johnny Davis.

We definitely miss some big ones every year.

Wait. Are you saying you'd take a team with Trae Young, Johnny Davis, and a few others over the players that were drafted? If that's what you are saying, then I would disagree. It wouldn't even be close, actually. This is the 5th year of the draft, meaning we've had 25 1st Team All-Americans. 22 of those 25 players were drafted.

Great work on all this, @dukedevilz. It’s so cool you’re willing to put this much time into it. Fun to see the breakdown.

Crazy I got Oscar in round 5 and didn’t have a single other player in the top 25 in scoring. Ouch lol.

Congrats on your win!

You had some bad luck. Javonte Perkis was the easy favorite to win A10 Player of the Year. Perkins alone could have bumped your team up to 4th place.

Then the three guys I picked for you didn't turn out to be as hot as I thought they'd be. Terrence Shannon was playing really well in the first 5 games of the season before he got injured (around 17 ppg). He missed a month of basketball and his confidence never seemed to be the same after that... Michigan was obviously overrated in the preseason, but I still thought Dickinson was more worthy of HM All-American than Ron Harper. For some reason there were only 8 Honorable Mention All-Americans this year. And Champagnie played well, but St. John's just lost too many games. And a large chunk of those losses were very narrow margins. 358 D1 teams and St. John's ranked 346th in the KenPom luck category.

It takes a little time. But, maybe not as demanding as one might expect. Fortunately, sports-reference.com has just about everything I need to put this together. If you look on the Season Summary, you can click on each individual conference - and each conference lists all of those all-conference picks. And the Win Shares are available when you click on the individual players.

Reactions: GE Nole
@boilerzz passed three people from NCAA Tournament Awards alone. David McCormack and Jermaine Samuels were both 3rd Team All-Conference. If not for those NCAA awards, they both would have received 2 points for being 3rd Teamers. Samuels was the South Regional MOP, so he received 4 points instead of 2. And McCormack made the All-Tournament Team; that boosted his award points from 2 to 5 points. He netted 5 points from that Regional MOP and All Tournament Team. Huge!

Reactions: boilerzz
Congrats @dukedevilz ! After all of the work you put into this I’m glad you got the win. Appreciate it!

Thanks! It took a while. Winning this draft ain't easy. Strategy is certainly a huge component. But, it also takes a great deal of luck.

I'm ready to go again for Year 6 next year. I'll tag everyone that participated this year. If you feel like you're ready to move on, just let me know and I won't tag you.

Here's another quirky thing with the scoring. I've said multiple times that a conference with 4 top 50 teams will receive the full 4 points for 1st Team All-Conference performers. The WCC actually had 4 teams in the top 50 throughout all of March until... BYU got smashed by Washington State in the NIT Quaterfinals, dropping them to 58th lol. That resulted in a one point loss for Wojo (Barcello), MGC (Bouyea), and boilerzz (Nembhard).

Second and 11th place were closer than first and second. Great job, DD

Hah! That is pretty crazy. Didn't even notice that gap.

And thanks! Felt pretty good about my first 7 picks. Was a little nervous when Manny Bates had a season-ending injury in the 1st minute of the season - and Jalen Wilson got that DUI. But, this was definitely the best draft I've ever had. Should be fun to run it back again next season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT