ADVERTISEMENT

5th Annual College Basketball Draft

I'll drop Myles Johnson, Prentiss Hubb and DeAndre Williams.

I’ll drop Jae’lyn Withers, Kevin Obanor, and Stanley Umude

I’m frustrated by how close I was to pulling the trigger on Keegan Murray a few times and never did.

Alright, everyone. Been super slow on getting this out. Time to lock down on 9 players. Let me know which 3 players you're going to drop. If I don't hear back from you within the next week, I'll drop the three lowest in Win Shares (labeled as WS on the stats below).

@JimboBBN @WojoRising @Noahtogo24 @MGC_07 @Jaycg15 @GE Nole @hailtoyourvictor @WeAreDePaul @duckboy33 @boilerzz @FaithPlusOne

Jimbo-Wojo-Stats.png

Noah-MGC-Stats.png
Jaycg-GE-Nole-Stats.png

hail-duke-stats.png
De-Paul-duckboy-stats.png
boilerzz-Faith-Stats.png
Curbelo, Lykes, Christie.

Alright, everyone. Been super slow on getting this out. Time to lock down on 9 players. Let me know which 3 players you're going to drop. If I don't hear back from you within the next week, I'll drop the three lowest in Win Shares (labeled as WS on the stats below).

@JimboBBN @WojoRising @Noahtogo24 @MGC_07 @Jaycg15 @GE Nole @hailtoyourvictor @WeAreDePaul @duckboy33 @boilerzz @FaithPlusOne

Jimbo-Wojo-Stats.png

Noah-MGC-Stats.png
Jaycg-GE-Nole-Stats.png

hail-duke-stats.png
De-Paul-duckboy-stats.png
boilerzz-Faith-Stats.png
dropping the guy I drafted who isn't even eligible, Keith Williams. Also dropping Justice Williams. And lastly, Sasser who was on his way to AA before he got hurt.

You can go ahead and drop my bottom 3 in WS.

Love started the year playing pretty well and looked like a decent pick. Has really fallen apart lately.

Keith Williams wasn't ruled ineligible until November. Draft had already concluded at that point. But, his appeal was denied just last month. So, there wasn't much of anything I could do there. All the basketball pundits were expecting him to play this season.

I’m frustrated by how close I was to pulling the trigger on Keegan Murray a few times and never did.

Same. Thought about taking him in Round 8, which is roughly equivalent to where I had him ranked (100th overall) in my preseason 150 most impactful players. I just figured the Big Ten was so loaded with individual players that it'd be tough to merit anything above 3rd Team All-Conference.

He was incredibly efficient last year - and you could tell he had NBA potential. Was figuring he'd be more like 15-16ppg. Wasn't expecting him to be this dominant. And I was thinking Iowa might only be a bubble team. So, that made me hesitate a bit. I remember in Rounds 5-6 thinking I would take him at some point during the draft... and then I could just never pull the trigger, just worrying too much about the Big Ten being loaded and Iowa being average.

What's your prediction at this point for top 3?

It's going to be close. But, I'll say...

1. dukedevilz
2. FaithPlusOne
3. Noahtogo24

WojoRising and MGC_07 could also contend. Jimbo, you have two All-American locks in Timme and Agbaji, but not sure you have enough depth to contend for a top 3 spot. I think you might be in the 4-7 range.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

1. dukedevilz
2. FaithPlusOne
3. Noahtogo24

WojoRising and MGC_07 could also contend. Jimbo, you have two All-American locks in Timme and Agbaji, but not sure you have enough depth to contend for a top 3 spot. I think you might be in the 4-7 range.
Whoa,seriously- my goal was not to come in last :p

Whoa,seriously- my goal was not to come in last :p

Mine too!

Haha that's funny. You guys are overachievers, of course! And you two and a few others could still take me down.

Here's a short breakdown of what I see in our 3 teams.

dukedevilz
All-American locks: Bennedict Mathurin and Jabari Smith (8+ points)
Borderline All-Americans: Trayce Jackson-Davis and David Roddy (6-8 points)
Probable HM All-Americans: Scotty Pippen and Isiaiah Mosley (6 points)
All-Conference Teams: Jaime Jaquez, Jared Rhoden, Jalen Wilson (1-4 points)

Faith PlusOne
All-American contenders: Walker Kessler and Trevion Williams (6-8 points)
Probable HM All-Americans: Max Abmas and Johnni Broome (6 points)
Borderline HM All-Americans: Tyger Campbell and Iverson Molinar (3-6 points)
Likely Conference DPOY: Posh Alexander (4 points)
All-Conference Teams: Jeremiah Davenport and Boogie Ellis (1-4 points)

Noahtogo24
All-American locks: Keegan Murray and Paolo Banchero (8+ points)
Probable HM All-Americans: Kennedy Chandler, Justin Moore, Adama Sanogo, Kyler Edwards
Likely Conference DPOY: Jacob Gilyard (3 points)
HM All-Conference: Matthew Mayer (1 point)
Unlikely to Receive Award: Qudus Wahab

I actually haven't fully decided on Jalen Wilson. Debating between him and Grayson Murphy from Belmont. Murphy is 2x 1st Team All-Conference player - and 2x OVC Defensive POY. He was in the top 20 in Win Shares in the NCAA last season. But, for whatever reason, his scoring and shooting has suffered a bit this year.

1. dukedevilz
2. FaithPlusOne
3. Noahtogo24

So what you’re telling me is the league is rigged against me.

Hey @dukedevilz for me you can take off:

Malik Osborne (which is a shame because he was headed for 2nd team all ACC)

Anthony Polite

Kadary Richmond

Today is the last day to drop. I'm dropping Manny Bates, Quincy Guerrier, and Grayson Murphy.

Just haven't heard back from hail and duckboy. As stated previously, my default will be to drop the three lowest in Win Shares. So as of right now, that would be...

hail: Patrick Baldwin, Brandon Johns, and Remy Martin
duckboy: Warith Alitashe, Hunter Sallis, and Harrison Ingram'

Just let me know if you're wanting drop other players instead.

Reactions: duckboy33
Today is the last day to drop. I'm dropping Manny Bates, Quincy Guerrier, and Grayson Murphy.

Just haven't heard back from hail and duckboy. As stated previously, my default will be to drop the three lowest in Win Shares. So as of right now, that would be...

Those three look good for me. Thanks

Reactions: dukedevilz

Haven't heard that name since his decision. How's that guy doing? Did he hurt his draft stock?

Haven't heard that name since his decision. How's that guy doing? Did he hurt his draft stock?

Played 11 games. Horrible shooting percentages. But IIRC he wasn't too sharp at the FIBA U19 championships, either. I think his draft stock will dip. Most likely still finds himself in the first round (late first round), based off of potential.

Kessler was a really great late pickup for me. Helped make up for my homer picks that did nothing.

Kessler was a really great late pickup for me. Helped make up for my homer picks that did nothing.

Terrific pickup, indeed! I kind of wanted to take him. But, I'm very, very hesitant to take two guys from the same team. Took Jabari Smith in a prior round. It's hard to get two guys on the same team on 1st Team All-Conference. Certainly there are other ways to make up for it, such as having Defensive POY.

Kessler has already earned SEC DPOY. But, I think there's a chance he could sneak on one of the All-American teams. He could also win the National DPOY, which is the equivalent of being 3rd Team All-American in this scoring system. Absolute worse case scenario is HM All-American. So yes, very, very solid pickup.

And is it just me, or does Walker Kessler look like a taller Grayson Allen?

Looks like I picked the right Purdue players. Ivey 1st team, Edey 2nd team, Trevion 3rd team.

And Ivey and Edey on the Wooden Watch list so both likely All-Americans (I'm guessing 2nd team and HM respectively).

Looks like I picked the right Purdue players. Ivey 1st team, Edey 2nd team, Trevion 3rd team.

And Ivey and Edey on the Wooden Watch list so both likely All-Americans (I'm guessing 2nd team and HM respectively).

I was going to pick Ivey if you didn’t.

Terrific pickup, indeed! I kind of wanted to take him. But, I'm very, very hesitant to take two guys from the same team. Took Jabari Smith in a prior round. It's hard to get two guys on the same team on 1st Team All-Conference. Certainly there are other ways to make up for it, such as having Defensive POY.

Kessler has already earned SEC DPOY. But, I think there's a chance he could sneak on one of the All-American teams. He could also win the National DPOY, which is the equivalent of being 3rd Team All-American in this scoring system. Absolute worse case scenario is HM All-American. So yes, very, very solid pickup.

And is it just me, or does Walker Kessler look like a taller Grayson Allen?

He does look a bit like him.

I was excited to see what Kessler was going to do this year, but then really bummed it was going to he for someone else. Good kid though. Happy for him and hope he makes the jump to the league and does well there.

I completely understand why you’d pass given you picked up the other front court player. I was thinking about taking Kessler earlier but gambled I could steal him later. Fortunately it’s paid off.

In Round 1, I was debating between TJD, Liddell, and Ivey. I absolutely loved Ivey's potential. He kind of reminded me of Dwyane Wade. But, I was worried about his outside shooting holding him back. So, I took the safe pick in TJD. Oh well. At least I got Bennedict Mathurin and Jabari Smith. Two surefire All-Americans. And I think I might have a fighting shot of David Roddy being a 3rd Team All-American.

Here are the numbers for David Roddy:

19.5 ppg, 7.6 reb, 2.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.1 blk, 57.5% fg, 46.2 3P%, 71.1 FT%, 32.4 MPG.

Colorado State is 24-4 and ranked 28th in the NET - and 33rd by KenPom. Mid-major players have to be absolute studs to be considered for All-American teams. And you have to be on a relatively good team, too. Feel like Roddy is really, really close.

If I were picking the All-American teams, I might say...

1st Team
Johnny Davis, Wisconsin
Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
Keegan Murray, Iowa
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois

2nd Team
Jaden Ivey, Purdue
Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona
Jabari Smith, Auburn
EJ Liddell, Ohio State
Drew Timme, Gonzaga

3rd Team
James Akinjo, Baylor
Collin Gillespie, Villanova
David Roddy, Colorado State (Am I being biased here?)
Paolo Banchero, Duke
Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga

And here are the actual AP All-Americans

1st Team
Johnny Davis, Wisconsin
Ochai Agbaji, Kansas
Keegan Murray, Iowa
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
Kofi Cockburn, Illinois

2nd Team
Jaden Ivey, Purdue
Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona
Jabari Smith, Auburn
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga

3rd Team
James Akinjo, Baylor
Collin Gillespie, Villanova
JD Notae, Arkansas
Paolo Banchero, Duke
EJ Liddell, Ohio State
Walker Kessler, Auburn

I got the 1st Team completely right. Only miss on the 2nd Team was putting Liddell ahead of Holmgren. And I left off Walker Kessler and JD Notae off the 3rd Team. So, 14 of my 15 AA picks were correct. Only wrong pick was my own player, David Roddy, who was the top vote-getter among the HM All-Americans.

I honestly don't understand the Honorable Mention All-American qualifications. I assume you need so many points to earn that distinction. This year there were only 8 HM All-Americans. Last year, as well as 2020, there were maybe around 30. And in 2021, for whatever reason, I think there were only 6 HM All-Americans.

I was expecting a lot more HM All-Americans for most every team. This changes things a bit. The race might be tighter than I was anticipating. Here are the 8 HM All-Americans:

Max Abmas, Oral Roberts
Armando Bacot, UNC
Tari Eason, LSU
Zach Edey, Purdue
Ron Harper, Rutgers
Johnny Juzang, UCLA
David Roddy, Colorado State
Alondes Williams, Wake Forest

Ron Harper Jr. averaged 15.6/5.9/1.8 on 43% from the field and 39% from 3. If he did that on a top 25 team I think a HM AA nod would have made sense, but Rutgers barely made the tournament. I feel like there were more deserving people.

Ron Harper Jr. averaged 15.6/5.9/1.8 on 43% from the field and 39% from 3. If he did that on a top 25 team I think a HM AA nod would have made sense, but Rutgers barely made the tournament. I feel like there were more deserving people.

Agreed. Though, if the HM AA were similar to last year, he'd probably be one the of 30 on the list. Don't think you can justify him as a top 25 player this year. Would rather see someone like Christian Braun or Azuloas Tubelis on there over Harper.

Reactions: MGC_07
Agreed. Though, if the HM AA were similar to last year, he'd probably be one the of 30 on the list. Don't think you can justify him as a top 25 player this year. Would rather see someone like Christian Braun or Azuloas Tubelis on there over Harper.
agreed

Just wish there was more consistency with the HM All-American selections. There's a colossal difference between having 8 guys and 42 (There were 42 HM All-Americans last year). But yes, Tubelis absolutely deserved to be on that list. 2nd most valuable player on arguably the best team in the country.

Just tell me I’m not on a collision course with DFL.

Hah no way. Hail locked up DFL months ago. And you have 2 of the 24 All-Americans. You very easily could be in the top 3.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Pretty stunning that neither Hunter Dickinson nor Trayce Jackson-Davis could garner HM AA recognition.

Pretty stunning that neither Hunter Dickinson nor Trayce Jackson-Davis could garner HM AA recognition.

I'm almost wondering if the voters thought too many Big Ten players were already included. Both of those teams would be a hot mess without their centers.

So, I took TJD in the first round. While I'm disappointed I'm going to have to settle for 2nd Team All-Conference honors (I thought he was a lock for at least HM All-American), I feel good knowing his Win Shares are ridiculously high. 6.7 Win Shares puts him at 4th in the country.

Win Shares
1.Keegan Murray Iowa8.5
2.Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky7.7
3.Malachi Smith Chattanooga7.5
4.Trayce Jackson-Davis Indiana6.7
5.Justin Bean Utah State6.7
6.Darius McGhee Liberty6.6
7.Orlando Robinson Fresno State6.6
8.K.J. Williams Murray State6.5
9.JT Shumate Toledo6.5
10.Baylor Scheierman South Dakota State6.4

I'm almost wondering if the voters thought too many Big Ten players were already included. Both of those teams would be a hot mess without their centers.

So, I took TJD in the first round. While I'm disappointed I'm going to have to settle for 2nd Team All-Conference honors (I thought he was a lock for at least HM All-American), I feel good knowing his Win Shares are ridiculously high. 6.7 Win Shares puts him at 4th in the country.

Win Shares
1.Keegan Murray Iowa8.5
2.Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky7.7
3.Malachi Smith Chattanooga7.5
4.Trayce Jackson-Davis Indiana6.7
5.Justin Bean Utah State6.7
6.Darius McGhee Liberty6.6
7.Orlando Robinson Fresno State6.6
8.K.J. Williams Murray State6.5
9.JT Shumate Toledo6.5
10.Baylor Scheierman South Dakota State6.4
Speaking of win shares, is there a way to get an extensive ranking of win shares than just the top 10 nationally or looking by team or top 20 by conference? That has to be cumbersome to pull if you have to go to team/conference pages to pull the data.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT