ADVERTISEMENT

5th Annual College Basketball Draft

Do you think Zach Edey is going to continue to start over Trevion Williams. Crazy how 2 of your 3 best players can't really play together.
Hard to say. They weren't blowing smoke when they said Edey had a phenomenal offseason. He didn't look great and still had 16 and 9 in 21 minutes the other night (albeit vs Bellarmine). Supposedly Trevion had a great camp too and still fell behind Edey. Hard to believe for a guy some had a 1st team AA before the season started.

And candidly, they might be 2 of the 7-8 best players in the Big Ten and can't play together against 95% of the teams we will play this year.

• Wow
Reactions: dukedevilz
First time posting on this board. Felt important to say Ochai Agbaji may be the steal of this draft based on the incredibly large 2 game sample size.

Reactions: MGC_07
First time posting on this board. Felt important to say Ochai Agbaji may be the steal of this draft based on the incredibly large 2 game sample size.

I'm going to have to disagree. Agbaji, while playing phenomenally, was a second round pick. Second rounders are considered likely All-American candidates. In each of the past 4 drafts, we've had an All-American taken in Round 7 or later. My guess, is we're likely to see that trend continue. It very well could be someone like Zach Edey, Adama Sanogo, Keegan Murray, or Darius Days.

2017-18: Round 7- Mikal Bridges, Villanova
2018-19: Round 7- Jarret Culver, Texas Tech; Round 8- Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
2019-20: Round 8- Obi Toppin, Dayton
2020-21: Round 7- Quentin Grimes, Houston; Round 9: Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago

WCC currently has 4 schools in the KenPom top 50.

1. Gonzaga 31. San Francisco 39. BYU 44. Saint Mary's

If they can maintain that, 1st Team All-Conferences selections would be worth 4 points, while second-teamers would earn 3 points.

Manny Bates out for the season

Yeah, I'm having bad luck with some of my guys. Bates was the best defender in the ACC, IMO. Very, very likely that he would have won ACC DPOY. Thought I got a steal in Round 12. I've had injury issues with my past two teams. Keyonate Johnson, Will Richardson, and Tristan Clark. Oh well.

Reactions: duckboy33
So pissed I didn’t take Morsell. Highly considered it a few teams but was nervous Marquette would suck and his offense wouldn’t be there so I didn’t. Clearly not an issue.

So pissed I didn’t take Morsell. Highly considered it a few teams but was nervous Marquette would suck and his offense wouldn’t be there so I didn’t. Clearly not an issue.

Same. Plus Posh Alexander is the reigning Big East DPOY. I like Posh's odds to repeat... Morsell looks like a different player now. At least on offense.

Also, I strongly considered taking both Darius Days and Keegan Murray as early as Round 8. And was very close to taking Wendell Moore over Manny Bates in Round 12.

Draft regrets are tough. They bite you early in the season - and that regret can sting most of the season. Last year I passed on Ayo in Round 1 because I thought the Big Ten was so loaded there was a chance he may not even make 1st Team All-Conference. Bad, bad decision on my part.

Reactions: MGC_07
I'm going to have to disagree. Agbaji, while playing phenomenally, was a second round pick. Second rounders are considered likely All-American candidates. In each of the past 4 drafts, we've had an All-American taken in Round 7 or later. My guess, is we're likely to see that trend continue. It very well could be someone like Zach Edey, Adama Sanogo, Keegan Murray, or Darius Days.

2017-18: Round 7- Mikal Bridges, Villanova
2018-19: Round 7- Jarret Culver, Texas Tech; Round 8- Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
2019-20: Round 8- Obi Toppin, Dayton
2020-21: Round 7- Quentin Grimes, Houston; Round 9: Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago
You are absolutely correct. I just wanted to drive straight in as a homer lol. It’s similar to fantasy football—you can’t win your draft in the first 2-3 rounds but you can lose it. It’s the later rounds that win it for you.

Do you think Zach Edey is going to continue to start over Trevion Williams. Crazy how 2 of your 3 best players can't really play together.
I know it was just Wright St (who is projected to win the Horizon) but;

Edey (started) - 18 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals in 18 minutes

Trevion - 20 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals in 20 minutes

Combined, 38 points, 25 rebound, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 4 steals in 38 minutes.

I know it was just Wright St (who is projected to win the Horizon) but;

Edey (started) - 18 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals in 18 minutes

Trevion - 20 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals in 20 minutes

Combined, 38 points, 25 rebound, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 4 steals in 38 minutes.

That is ridiculous. Maximum efficiency. Would be crazy to have 2 All-Big Ten Selections on the same team that basically never play together.

Keegan Murry with a great game tonight; granted look who it was against but still...

Keegan Murray's Player Efficiency Rating is currently 61.6 lol. That's some video-game level efficiency.

Keegan Murray's Player Efficiency Rating is currently 61.6 lol. That's some video-game level efficiency.
KenPom rankings of Iowa's opponents so far:

258 Longwood
227 UMKC
340 UNCC

Next 3 games:

336 Alabama St
317 W Michigan
218 Portland St

I'm a fan of Keegan Murray but we'll have a better gauge of his impact when we get to December.

Way early KPOY rankings once again loaded with B1G players:

2022 kenpom.com Player of the Year Standings

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
Data through games of Tuesday, November 16
PlayerkPOY
Rating
EJ Liddell, Ohio St.
6-7 · 240 · Jr · Belleville, IL
Keegan Murray, Iowa
6-8 · 225 · So · Cedar Rapids, IA
Zach Edey, Purdue
7-4 · 295 · So · Toronto, ON
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6-10 · 235 · Jr · Richardson, TX
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
7-1 · 260 · So · Alexandria, VA
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky
6-9 · 255 · Jr · Lubumbashi, DR Congo
Marcus Sasser, Houston
6-2 · 195 · Jr · Dallas, TX
Colin Castleton, Florida
6-11 · 240 · Sr · Deland, FL
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
6-9 · 245 · So · Greenwood, IN
Amadou Sow, UC Santa Barbara
6-9 · 235 · Sr · Bamako, Mali

KenPom rankings of Iowa's opponents so far:

258 Longwood
227 UMKC
340 UNCC

Next 3 games:

336 Alabama St
317 W Michigan
218 Portland St

I'm a fan of Keegan Murray but we'll have a better gauge of his impact when we get to December.

For sure. Anything over a 30 PER for a forward is at an All-American level. Those numbers will come drastically.

He's a darn good shot-blocker, though. I was hesitant to take him because I was thinking maybe 3rd Team All-Conference. But, should have considered he's a solid candidate for Big Ten DPOY.

Remember when everyone made fun of Gil because of the 0-star recruits in the Murray twins? I guess broken clocks are sometimes right.

Remember when everyone made fun of Gil because of the 0-star recruits in the Murray twins? I guess broken clocks are sometimes right.
I definitely saw the potential in Keegan his freshman year. He just brought something that Iowa almost never has.

@dukedevilz can you post all the rosters on the OP on page 1? I have no idea who is on my team or where to find it.

Okay, done. You can double-click on the screenshots.

Still really early in the season, but I'd say you got pretty good value on Marcus Sasser, Azuoulas Tubelis, and Darius Days.

I like my second round pick as a player, but not feeling good about the value as Vanderbilt might be crap once again. With Liam Robbins (Minnesota) and Rodney Chatman (starter on the 2020 Dayton team) coming aboard, I originally thought Vanderbilt had a legit shot at being a top 50 team.

Welp, not liking those chances anymore. Robbins and Chatman are both injured. Concerning the Robbins injury, Stackhouse said, "I don’t think it’s season ending..." Okay, great. It's not season ending. But, it probably ain't getting better anytime soon. And it looks like Chatman suffered a meniscus injury. He'll probably miss the first 10-12 games of the season. Pippen can't earn Ws by himself. It's not a completely wasted pick, but definitely overvalued at this point. Win Shares will be hard to come by.

I like my second round pick as a player, but not feeling good about the value as Vanderbilt might be crap once again. With Liam Robbins (Minnesota) and Rodney Chatman (starter on the 2020 Dayton team) coming aboard, I originally thought Vanderbilt had a legit shot at being a top 50 team.

Welp, not liking those chances anymore. Robbins and Chatman are both injured. Concerning the Robbins injury, Stackhouse said, "I don’t think it’s season ending..." Okay, great. It's not season ending. But, it probably ain't getting better anytime soon. And it looks like Chatman suffered a meniscus injury. He'll probably miss the first 10-12 games of the season. Pippen can't earn Ws by himself. It's not a completely wasted pick, but definitely overvalued at this point. Win Shares will be hard to come by.
Yeah, that's a tough situation.

I definitely look at team success when selecting players. Almost all of my guys are top 25 team players and only Hubb at ND is unlikely to be dancing this year.

This more than likely won't come in to play and he'd have to be really amazing, but technically. Shaedon Sharpe could play conference games and be one of if not the best player and or, AA/SEC 1/2 team.

They plan to redshirt, but in yesterdays interview Calipari didn't rule out him playing this year

Would someone who played one semester qualify for those awards?

This more than likely won't come in to play and he'd have to be really amazing, but technically. Shaedon Sharpe could play conference games and be one of if not the best player and or, AA/SEC 1/2 team.

They plan to redshirt, but in yesterdays interview Calipari didn't rule out him playing this year

Would someone who played one semester qualify for those awards?

anyone who steps foot on a court is qualified for a post season award. Doesn't mean it won't be held against a player if he misses half a season, but that's up to each individual voter.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Just wanna apologize for pumping up withers, hes looked worse this year than last smdh

Just wanna apologize for pumping up withers, hes looked worse this year than last smdh

That was my concern with Louisville. They're deep and reasonably talented. But, not sure they have a clear-cut star who could merit 1st Team All-Conference or HM All-American type honors.

But, plenty of basketball pundits were talking about Withers. He still might have the highest ceiling on the team.

So after this weekend, it seems like America knows about Zach Edey and Jaden Ivey. After the two wins over UNC and Nova:

Edey - 17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, 73.3% FG%

Ivey - 15.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.4 steals

And Trevion Williams has been great too. 12.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 66.7% FG%

How often does a guy who never starts a game for his team garner HM AA recognition? I think Trevion has a good chance this year.

So after this weekend, it seems like America knows about Zach Edey and Jaden Ivey. After the two wins over UNC and Nova:

Edey - 17.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, 73.3% FG%

Ivey - 15.6 points, 7.2 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 1.4 steals

And Trevion Williams has been great too. 12.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 66.7% FG%

How often does a guy who never starts a game for his team garner HM AA recognition? I think Trevion has a good chance this year.

Purdue might be the only big10 team that is legit this year. Up from zero legit teams last year. Hopefully Purdue doesn't get hurt by playing vs inferior low level competition similar to Gonzaga once conference play starts up.

The Zach Edey-Trevion Williams duo is something else. Efficiency is off the charts. Both currently have a PER north of 40 lol. If they weren't teammates they could easily command 25+ minutes - and they would both have excellent shots at being on one of the All-American teams.

Scottie Barnes typically came off the bench last season, but had a few starts. He was HM All-American. Hamilton is really big into winning the 6th Man of the Year Award, though.

Christian Koloko and JD Notae look like two other notable misses from this draft. Koloko looked AMAZING last night. Like 1st Round talent.

Who was the genius that drafted Andrew Nembhard? Dude was the best player on the floor in that 1 v 2 matchup last night.

My picks are not looking so great. Wondering who will end up picking my off-season avatar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT