ADVERTISEMENT

5th Annual College Basketball Draft

Fwiw, a friend of mine who went to a few practices recently said Mills has been running hot and cold but when he’s on there’s no one on the team who can stop him. Polite was barely able to slow him down in turns of getting to his spots and hitting shots.

I hope to get to a practice in the next 10 days now that I’m back.

What’s FSU’s starting lineup suppose to be?

And thanks for making my pick DD!!!

What’s FSU’s starting lineup suppose to be?

And thanks for making my pick DD!!!

Honestly, not sure. Always a little tricky with Ham because being a starter doesn’t necessarily mean not playing top 5 minutes. Scottie Barnes started 7 of 24 games last year but played the 3 highest % of minutes on the team.

I will no more in a week probably but if making a guess I’d say:

Rayquan Evans
Caleb Mills
Anthony Polite
Malik Osborne
Tanor Ngom

Matt Cleveland has been dealing with a broken toe and has missed a month or so, which I’m guessing has him behind the 8 ball a little. But if he picks the D up quickly, I could see us putting Osborne at the 5, starting Cleveland, and rolling with a small ball lineup.

Honestly, not sure. Always a little tricky with Ham because being a starter doesn’t necessarily mean not playing top 5 minutes. Scottie Barnes started 7 of 24 games last year but played the 3 highest % of minutes on the team.

I will no more in a week probably but if making a guess I’d say:

Rayquan Evans
Caleb Mills
Anthony Polite
Malik Osborne
Tanor Ngom

Matt Cleveland has been dealing with a broken toe and has missed a month or so, which I’m guessing has him behind the 8 ball a little. But if he picks the D up quickly, I could see us putting Osborne at the 5, starting Cleveland, and rolling with a small ball lineup.

Have to ask- how many more years for Hamilton , and would his successor be in-house?

Have to ask- how many more years for Hamilton , and would his successor be in-house?

I would imagine 3-5 more years for Ham…but I also thought that 3-5 years ago.

Stan Jones feels like a lifetime assistant kind of guy. He’s a wonderful man and brilliant with the kids and their development. But just not sure he wants to do what comes with being a head man.

If Ham were to leave in 2-3 years, I think we go outside the family tree. Just not sure anyone is ready. But if he’s more on the 4-5 years or more, I’d be willing to put a moderate bet on Dennis Gates. He was with us for our Elite 8 run, he’s a heck of a talent identifier, he engaged with the fanbase very well at events and engagements, and he’s doing a bang up job at Cleveland State.

@dukedevilz I am actually pretty curious to see how Gates has his team ready for the game in Cameron this year.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Are the duke players getting hit for the same reason as the Kentucky guys? Only one off the board so far.

Reactions: WojoRising
Are the duke players getting hit for the same reason as the Kentucky guys? Only one off the board so far.
I think Griffin will be good, but I’m not sure the stats will be there to garner awards.

Williams is a total wildcard, in my opinion. Has a possible first team All-ACC ceiling, but could also average 7 and 7. I’m also cautiously optimistic Moore has a really good year, but again, huge risk to actually bank on that.

I think Griffin will be good, but I’m not sure the stats will be there to garner awards.

Williams is a total wildcard, in my opinion. Has a possible first team All-ACC ceiling, but could also average 7 and 7. I’m also cautiously optimistic Moore has a really good year, but again, huge risk to actually bank on that.

Good points. Will be interesting to see what round those risks are worth taking.

Reactions: WojoRising
Great point about the end of mowing season! And yes, wife and I agreed that we will prioritize her PTO weeks during the fall from now on (or at least until/if we decide to have kids) if we want to do somewhere in Europe because it really was great. 55-65 for highs, nice foliage, and probably 1/3 the tourists as summer.

Can't beat October vacations! Great weather + small crowds is hard to top.

100% please let me know if you’re in Tallahassee around the time of a game.

Right on! I'll have to find a professional development conference that's held near there.
Fwiw, a friend of mine who went to a few practices recently said Mills has been running hot and cold but when he’s on there’s no one on the team who can stop him. Polite was barely able to slow him down in terms of getting to his spots and hitting shots.

I hope to get to a practice in the next 10 days now that I’m back.

Mills can take over, no question. And some might forget, but the AAC preseason POY last year wasn't Quentin Grimes, it was Caleb Mills. He's a very crafty ballhandler.

@dukedevilz I am actually pretty curious to see how Gates has his team ready for the game in Cameron this year.

They won their league and return most everyone, right? I might say 15 points. But, I could see them keeping it single digits, to be honest.

Andy Enfield might be another potential successor. But, he's probably comfortable at USC.

Reactions: GE Nole
Can't beat October vacations! Great weather + small crowds is hard to top.

Right on! I'll have to find a professional development conference that's held near there.

Mills can take over, no question. And some might forget, but the AAC preseason POY last year wasn't Quentin Grimes, it was Caleb Mills. He's a very crafty ballhandler.

They won their league and return most everyone, right? I might say 15 points. But, I could see them keeping it single digits, to be honest.

Andy Enfield might be another potential successor. But, he's probably comfortable at USC.
Yeah they won the league and Gates was CoY I think.

I don’t think Enfield would be a serious candidate for us. He was never as good at engaging the fan base in a southern town and he also just doesn’t play the kind of style we look for. Add in some of the NCAA stuff…there aren’t a ton of folks in Tally who would be itching to bring in Andy.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Everything will be run through Paolo. He's the clear #1 option.

Just not really sure who the #2 guy will be. Could be Mark Williams, AJ Griffin, or Wendell Moore. Maybe even Jeremy Roach. My guess, is it will be Mark Williams - and he'll be 2nd or 3rd Team All-Conference. If we win enough games, that might be enough to merit HM All-American.

Updated draft results.

1ST ROUND
1. Drew Timme, Gonzaga
2. Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga
3. Paolo Banchero, Duke
4. Kofi Cockburn, Illinois
5. Johnny Juzang, UCLA
6. Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
7. Remy Martin, Kansas
8. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
9. Collin Gillespie, Villanova
10. EJ Liddell, Ohio State
11. Jaden Ivey, Purdue
12. Trevion Williams, Purdue

2ND ROUND
13. Max Abmas, Oral Roberts
14. Jahvon Quinerly, Alabama
15. Marcus Carr, Texas
16. Emoni Bates, Memphis
17. Scotty Pippen Jr, Vanderbilt
18. Caleb Houstan, Michigan
19. Julian Champagnie, St.John's
20. Andre Curbelo, Illinois
21. Kendric Davis, SMU
22. Matthew Mayer, Baylor
23. Buddy Boeheim, Syracuse
24. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas

THIRD ROUND
25. Tyson Etienne, Wichita State
26. Alex Barcello, BYU
27. Kennedy Chandler, Tennessee
28. Adam Flagler, Baylor
29. Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
30. Terrence Shannon, Texas Tech
31. Patrick Baldwin, Milwaukee
32. Jaime Jaquez, UCLA
33. Armando Bacot, North Carolina
34. James Akinjo, Baylor
35. Andrew Nembhard, Gonzaga
36. Tyger Campbell, UCLA

FOURTH ROUND
37. Dawson Garcia, North Carolina
38. David McCormack, Kansas
39. Will Richardson, Oregon
40. Marcus Sasser, Houston
41. Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona
42. Jalen Duren, Memphis
43. Javonte Perkins, Saint Louis
44. TyTy Washington, Kentucky
45. Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
46. Caleb Mills, Florida State
47. Isaiah Mobley, USC
48. Kellan Grady, Kentucky

FIFTH ROUND
49. Grant Sherfield, Nevada
50. Paul Scruggs, Xavier
51. Justin Moore, Villanova
52. Matt Bradley, San Diego State
53. Timmy Allen, Texas
54. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky

Not a huge fan of drafting freshmen, but why not? I'll take a shot...

Jabari Smith, Auburn

In 4 and 1/2 drafts, Marvin Bagley (round 1) and Onyeka Okongwu (round 9) are the only other freshmen I've taken.

@WeAreDePaul is on the clock.

Not a huge fan of drafting freshmen, but why not? I'll take a shot...

Jabari Smith, Auburn

In 4 and 1/2 drafts, Marvin Bagley (round 1) and Onyeka Okongwu (round 9) are the only other freshmen I've taken.

@WeAreDePaul is on the clock.
Had his name halfway typed out before changing to Oscar. Jabari has a world of talent. If he adjusts to SEC play quickly he could have a pretty high ceiling.

Had his name halfway typed out before changing to Oscar. Jabari has a world of talent. If he adjusts to SEC play quickly he could have a pretty high ceiling.

I think he could put up big numbers with Auburn's uptempo offense, especially with his skillset. But, SEC is incredibly deep this year. Making 1st or 2nd Team is no gimme. Given his talent, I feel okay rolling the dice on him.

Getting on toward pick 60. This is where we separate the men from the boys. And you boys done fvcked up. The goal at this point is to find someone with a good shot at 1st team all conference in a P6 or conference POY in a smaller conference. Some of y'all clearly didn't realize that. And I thank you.

As such, the clear pick is former Michigan bench warmer and current Florida alpha Colin Castleton.

200.gif

@FaithPlusOne is on the clock.

PS - I'm just talking shit to talk shit. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Top 10 available via Three Man Weave

1. Tre Mitchell, Texas
2. Jalen Wilson, Kansas
3. Andrew Jones, Texas
4. Kenneth Lofton, Louisiana Tech
5. DeAndre Williams, Memphis
6. Caleb Love, UNC
7. JD Davidson, Bama
8. David Roddy, Colorado State
9. Darius Days, LSU
10. Ron Harper Jr, Rutgers

Getting on toward pick 60. This is where we separate the men from the boys. And you boys done fvcked up. The goal at this point is to find someone with a good shot at 1st team all conference in a P6 or conference POY in a smaller conference. Some of y'all clearly didn't realize that. And I thank you.

As such, the clear pick is former Michigan bench warmer and current Florida alpha Colin Castleton.

200.gif

@FaithPlusOne is on the clock.

PS - I'm just talking shit to talk shit. I don't really know what I'm doing.

Pretty good value. I thought Hail would have taken him this round.

It is kind of crazy how Kentucky has had 4 guys taken... and Texas has only had 1. Texas is suppose to be a top 5 team. The problem with Texas, like many others, is who's the #2 guy? And will their stats be good enough to merit much for postseason awards?

It is kind of crazy how Kentucky has had 4 guys taken... and Texas has only had 1. Texas is suppose to be a top 5 team. The problem with Texas, like many others, is who's the #2 guy? And will their stats be good enough to merit much for postseason awards?
They’ve had 2, Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr

okay, so I’m going to go with:
- Posh Alexander from St. John’s
- Caleb Love, because I’m a huge homer. I have it on good authority that UNC is bringing in a hypnotist to trick him into believing that every opponent is duke. All joking aside, I think he could have a good year, but this is a risky pick.

I’m having a blast in this draft, but I’ll just say that this really is showing me how little I know about next years teams and players.

@dukedevilz how much of a reach is Caleb in round 6?

@boilerzz back to you.

Moving right along, I saw a bunch of the 62nd pick Kenneth Lofton in the U19 FIBA tournament. Dude is a beast (bro had 16 and 7 in the gold medal game against France). And he's the best player on what is likely the best team in CUSA. That will make him conference POY and allow him to rack up some nice win share numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up an HM AA as well.

In fact, go ahead and pencil La Tech in as a 1st round winner in March over your favorite 7th best team in whichever P6 conference they reside.

@duckboy33 It's on you again.

Last edited:
okay, so I’m going to go with:
- Posh Alexander from St. John’s
- Caleb Love, because I’m a huge homer. I have it on good authority that UNC is bringing in a hypnotist to trick him into believing that every opponent is duke. All joking aside, I think he could have a good year, but this is a risky pick.

I’m having a blast in this draft, but I’ll just say that this really is showing me how little I know about next years teams and players.

@dukedevilz how much of a reach is Caleb in round 6?

@boilerzz back to you.

Hard for me to say. Love certainly has the physical tools to be special. Yet, I wonder how much someone can improve in one year? He was astoundingly underwhelming last year - except, for whatever reason, when he played Duke. He had an effective field goal percentage below 37%. And he was a little sloppy with the ball, too. If he can figure out how to shoot the ball with some level of consistency, I don't think it's out of the question for him to be 1st Team All-Conference.

ADVERTISEMENT