ADVERTISEMENT

5th Annual College Basketball Draft

@dukedevilz is reliable to take guys who went off in Fiba. Is Jaden Ivey the pick here?

I really like Jaden Ivey. With my #8 pick, I was debating between TJD, Ivey, and one other player. The only thing I can't get past with Ivey is his perimeter shooting. Below 30% from three last season, as well as this past summer at FIBA. The athleticism, defense, and playmaking ability are all there. Don't think there's a guard in the country that has a higher ceiling than Ivey.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I really like Jaden Ivey. With my #8 pick, I was debating between TJD, Ivey, and one other player. The only thing I can't get past with Ivey is his perimeter shooting. Below 30% from three last season, as well as this past summer at FIBA. The athleticism, defense, and playmaking ability are all there. Don't think there's a guard in the country that has a higher ceiling than Ivey.

I was really hoping TJD would be around for my picks.

Tough spot. Gillespie is great but injury concerns. Ivey and Williams are fighting for the best player in their own team. Could go with Carr, Mathurin, Bates, or Abmas.

I think I’d go EJ Liddell at this spot, but that’s just me. He seems like the most sure fire AA left on the board. Clear best player on a damn good Ohio State team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Tough spot. Gillespie is great but injury concerns. Ivey and Williams are fighting for the best player in their own team. Could go with Carr, Mathurin, Bates, or Abmas.

I think I’d go EJ Liddell at this spot, but that’s just me. He seems like the most sure fire AA left on the board. Clear best player on a damn good Ohio State team.
My concern with Liddell, Ivey and Williams (and even TJD) is how many potential AA players there are in the B1G. At least 1 (and maybe 2 if Curbelo is really good) of Kofi, Dickinson, TJD, Ivey, Williams and Liddell won't even make 1st team All B1G. That's a tough roll of the dice on the 1st round.

My concern with Liddell, Ivey and Williams (and even TJD) is how many potential AA players there are in the B1G. At least 1 (and maybe 2 if Curbelo is really good) of Kofi, Dickinson, TJD, Ivey, Williams and Liddell won't even make 1st team All B1G. That's a tough roll of the dice on the 1st round.
Fair point. The Big Ten is loaded.

My concern with Liddell, Ivey and Williams (and even TJD) is how many potential AA players there are in the B1G. At least 1 (and maybe 2 if Curbelo is really good) of Kofi, Dickinson, TJD, Ivey, Williams and Liddell won't even make 1st team Al

True. That was my concern last year. Ultimately, that's why I went against my initial thought of taking Dosunmu (I was worried he might only get 2nd Team All-Conference). But, it turned out okay for the top Big Ten players...

Garza, NPOY
Dosunmu, 1st Team AA
Cockburn, 2nd Team AA
Dickinson, 2nd Team AA

So, 4 All-Americans, including the NPOY. And TJD was right on the fringe. TJD wasn't an AA from the AP vote, but he was 3rd Team All-American from the USWBA, NABC, and the Sporting News.

And it's also probable that some of those 2nd Team All Big-Ten performers end up as HM All-Americans.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Great point- that’s why I went PB with my pick.

I haven’t brought it up in the Big Ten thread, but people ignore that when discussing him for some reason. Obviously a huge talent still, but it’s something he needs to improve.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Went to the practice Saturday and Curbelo looked mediocre. I wouldn’t draft him.

• Haha
Reactions: cmore79
I haven’t brought it up in the Big Ten thread, but people ignore that when discussing him for some reason. Obviously a huge talent still, but it’s something he needs to improve.
I think Purdue fans aren't too concerned because he shot much better down the stretch once he was inserted into the starting lineup. He was still a little inconsistent but definitely better.

And that was after an early season injury that followed a COVID offseason as a true freshman.

Curbelo should see similar improvement. He's a clear top 15 pick in this draft.

Yep. And that sub-par shooting could cause problems for himself and his teammates. Ivey is dynamite off the dribble. Hard to stay in front of him. But, why would any defender guard him closely if he's connecting on 26% of his threes? Give him plenty of space and dare him to shoot it from deep. He'll still going to get his buckets, but his effectiveness is going to be minimized a bit if defenders don't feel the need to guard him closely on the perimeter.

I think Purdue fans aren't too concerned because he shot much better down the stretch once he was inserted into the starting lineup. He was still a little inconsistent but definitely better.

And that was after an early season injury that followed a COVID offseason as a true freshman.

Curbelo should see similar improvement. He's a clear top 15 pick in this draft.
No, Curbelo is third team Big Ten at best. Probably will average 12 and 5, return another year with senior Cockburn and win a chip.

Colin Gillespie/Villanova.

Tough decision between him and Lidell, but the crowded field in the Big10 was the deciding factor.

@duckboy33 is on the clock.

Reactions: duckboy33
Jaden Ivey and Trevion Williams are still on the table for boilerzz. They're good enough to not be homer picks at #11.

I expect him some good, quality homer picks at some point in this draft, though. Don't disappoint.

Reactions: Jaycg15 and MGC_07
5q1tc1.jpg

Candidly, I really don't want to pick Ivey or Trevion. There are questions with both this early. Williams is going to have Zach Edey steal minutes and Ivey is streaky until proven otherwise. Ugh!

But beyond them, everyone has questions. So I think I’m going to go with the one with the highest upside.

I’ll take Jaden Ivey

@FaithPlusOne you are on the clock x 2.

Damn, that was quick. And thanks for not making me be a 2 time homer @FaithPlusOne.

I was seriously considering Abmas too. All but guaranteed conference POY and a win shares behemoth. I would expect him to be a 2nd or 3rd team AA this year. It's one of the safest picks on the board so far.

Since this is my last pick until #35, I feel like I need to swing for the fences and grab a guy with a great shot at a P5 conference POY and high win share total. So for that reason, I'm going to roll with Javon Quinerly.

@Noahtogo24 this one is for you:

quinerly+drive.gif

Damn, that was quick. And thanks for not making me be a 2 time homer @FaithPlusOne.

I was seriously considering Abmas too. All but guaranteed conference POY and a win shares behemoth. I would expect him to be a 2nd or 3rd team AA this year. It's one of the safest picks on the board so far.

Since this is my last pick until #35, I feel like I need to swing for the fences and grab a guy with a great shot at a P5 conference POY and high win share total. So for that reason, I'm going to roll with Javon Quinerly.

quinerly+drive.gif

Thanks bud-lol!!

Gents, need a sweet 16 appearance from the Terps this season-recruiting already looks like dumpster fire for 2022...

Candidly, I really don't want to pick Ivey or Trevion. There are questions with both this early. Williams is going to have Zach Edey steal minutes and Ivey is streaky until proven otherwise. Ugh!

But beyond them, everyone has questions. So I think I’m going to go with the one with the highest upside.

I’ll take Jaden Ivey

@FaithPlusOne you are on the clock x 2.
I think that’s the better pick just because of the amount of good big men.

quinerly+drive.gif

I was hoping he fell to me. Great pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT