50 Greatest Programs of All-Time

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by dukedevilz, Mar 23, 2020.

1. lurkeraspect84

lurkeraspect84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Worry? We're #1!

BTW,I never said rich until just now. I said I agree with you. (post #57)

Holy f7ck you are one bitter person.

*sorry @dukedevilz

2. JimboBBN

JimboBBN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Feels good to be at the top. It’s really rustled some of the posters ITT

3. uncfan in ky

uncfan in ky Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You subtract points for probations & you wont be #1.... which explains why some don’t like the idea

4. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

fify. :D

5. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

Then do the math as you like it and get back with us.

GE Nole likes this.
  6. uncfan in ky

Expand Collapse

No thanks.
    Not going through the trouble of looking up how many probations each program has received

7. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

That's what I thought.

GE Nole likes this.
  8. uncfan in ky

Expand Collapse

If you subtract 100 for each probation UK sure as hell won’t be #1.

9. UL_1986

UL_1986 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lol tell UK fans that. “It happened years ago”!!!!

dukedevilz likes this.
  10. Kevin Bryan

Kevin Bryan Moderator
    Expand Collapse

No need. You worry about them enough.

11. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

We did our time f'r.

12. precise02

precise02 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We can all agree with this. If only the NCAA was fair across the board. If that was the case a lot of programs would be fvcked including yours.

13. uncfan in ky

Expand Collapse

Almost as much as you worry about me.
    I guess some can’t read & didn’t realize that I said UNC should lose points also.... but I guess that’s just me trolling.

93 uncfan in ky, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  14. Longstrangetrip

Longstrangetrip Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Go troll some other thread. Someone took a ton of time to do this, no need for your crap to clutter it up.

15. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

Illinois dropped a bit since the Sagrain/ESPN 2000 rankings.

[​IMG]

16. UL_1986

UL_1986 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

17. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well we did earn it. It was declared by the league and we were recorded as the official ACC Champion. It just wasn’t the traditional way of earning it.

It’s like a sprinter who earns 1st place after the person who crossed the line first was disqualified for going out of their lane. The get the gold medal. They get the distinction of winning the race in the record books. They just didn’t win it in the traditional sense.

Big_Blue79 and lurkeraspect84 like this.
  18. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

@dukedevilz it would be impossible to do your conference breakdown due to conference shifting. ie UL being in the Big East.

19. JC for 3

JC for 3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

….sour grapes after I dumped his momma.

Kevin Bryan likes this.
  20. Demarcus Kidd-Miller

Demarcus Kidd-Miller Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

@dukedevilz why are UK and UCLA's R32 appearances lower than S16 appearances? They'd have to at least be the same. Or is the # you're using not total appearances?

21. Maximus187

Maximus187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah they did and so did St. John's.

lurkeraspect84 likes this.
  22. RR30

RR30 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

A Duke fan said that the idea would be stupid. A DUKE FAN. Sounds like someone is bitter because they are in 3rd place. Don't worry you'll catch UCLA one day.

23. GE Nole

Expand Collapse

Didn’t there used to be byes or something?

Demarcus Kidd-Miller likes this.
  24. Demarcus Kidd-Miller

Expand Collapse

That makes sense.

25. kyjeff1

kyjeff1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think we should make this thread a sticky. It's got UK ranked as the #1 program of all time and a perfect example of what happens in every thread where UK is at least part of the subject matter… .butthurt rival fans, including one lying ass that cheers for the biggest fraud program in the country.

26. dukedevilz

dukedevilz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Except the race never started. And you still had 7 other competitors in the race - none of which were ever disqualified.

You guys won the ACC regular season title, and that's what really matters in my book. It's far more impressive winning a conference outright over the course of 2-3 months as opposed to winning three games in three days. You earned the 5 points. Just don't really care to add one more point - because guess what? Dozens of other schools would have earned one more point. And did other power conferences even award schools like Kentucky, Kansas, and Oregon as the automatic qualifiers? If they didn't, that would create one more inconsistency.

lurkeraspect84 and Big_Blue79 like this.
  27. dukedevilz

Expand Collapse

Because the Round of 32 didn't exist until 1975. That's the first year where multiple bids could come from the same conference - that decision by the NCAA was made shortly after the Maryland-NC State ACC Tittle game in '74, which precluded a top 5 team from competing in the NCAAT.

From 1953-1974 you had 22-25 teams in the tournament. I give credit for a R32 game if you played in the first round, which is essentially a R32 game. UCLA and Kentucky frequently had byes until the Regional Semifinals. Also, recall that from 1939-1950, you only had 8 teams in the tournament. So I don't give teams credit for the rounds that are missed. You do receive 1 point for every NCAA Tournament appearance, however.

28. GE Nole

Expand Collapse

Yeah I don’t care about the point. I asked because I was curious but like we both said it’s just 1 point. Wouldn’t make any difference.

I just more was speaking about how it was funny that both statements could be true. I don’t know if other power conferences did the same or not. But whether it was traditional or not, FSU did indeed “qualify” for the 2020 NCAAT, along with any other auto bid winner. It’s gonna be one of those weird trivia questions in 25 years.

lurkeraspect84 and dukedevilz like this.
  29. dukedevilz

Expand Collapse

Funny thing is, even if UNC net gained 200 points with outrageous 100 point deductions, Kentucky would still be in the lead. Yes, UNC would temporarily have a 12-point lead. But, not after the NIT results from 1939-56 are included.

And a 300 point deduction is essentially 4 national tiles + 1 final four. Seems perfectly reasonable for three years of probation.

30. lurkeraspect84

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

dukedevilz and kyjeff1 like this.
  31. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

dukedevilz did a wonderful job on this thread. He spent his time and developed a wonderful spread sheet on the various programs.

Let us argue about it, but praise the guy who built it. I would like to copy it, with permission, and used it in the future.

Why do we not, as a board, try to discuss the flaws and come up with a better plan. That would be beneficial.

To my mind dukedevilz did a damned good job the first time.

32. dukedevilz

Expand Collapse

Wow. This got pinned. Okay, that motivates me to want to keep the thread active, which means I'm more likely to include additional metrics to the table.

I want to include the NIT Results from 1939-56. I think the champ should only gets 10 points, runner-up gets 5 points, semifinalists get 3 points, quaterfinalists get 2 points, and 1st round gets 1 point. This is the equivalent of FF-E8-S16-R32-R64. Recall that a lot of teams were double-dipping in the NCAAT and NIT. By 1951, all major conference champions were required to compete in the NCAAT. However, you still had a lot of top 5/10 independent schools that had no obligation to the NCAAT. I think those schools from the 50's deserve credit, too.

The other metric I want to include would be bonus/negative points, based on winning percentage. Do you all think that should be on a cumulative basis, or a season-to-season basis?

33. schoonerwest

schoonerwest Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I am absolutely not the person to come up with how we do it but what do you think we could do to award points to those years before the NCAA tournament? Because there's like 40 years of basketball missing here. Can't really call it all time if 1/3 of the sports history isn't considered.

And yes I ask this as a fan of the first blueblood who would probably have Michigan like football championships had they been awarded to team pre-tournament. I mean if we're including the NIT we should absolutely include seasons that aren't otherwise being counted. It could just be as simple as awarding points to conference winners and measuring wins up to that point? I don't know, like I said I'm not the guy to determine any of that.

34. dukedevilz

Expand Collapse

Problem is, there's so many issues when it comes to comparability Pre-1939. The conferences weren't equal in size. The Southen Conference, for example, had 15 conference members. The Yankee Conference had only 5 members (Rhode Island and UConn were members). There were no national rankings. No national tournaments sanctioned by the NCAA. Then, you had teams like Temple that existed forever. Villanova, a school in the same city, is highly regarded, yet Temple has in edge in all-time wins, mostly due to the fact that they have 26 more seasons of basketball.

I'm only including the NIT because a lot of potential national champions and final four teams did not compete in the NCAA. Would be a huge disfavor for title contenders and top 5 teams to not garner any points during those years, especially while other schools in the NCAAT are all collecting a substantial amount. The NCAA Tournament had only 8 teams in the field until 1951 anyway.

114 dukedevilz, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Bert Higginbotha likes this.
  35. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Some of these questions are above my pay grade.

I can suggest that the NIT be counted when it mattered. If I come up with the dates that will add my pro-Kentucky bias; so, the dates should be picked by folks who are totally removed from bias.

On the Conference Championships: The SEC always crowned their champion on the conference best record. The ACC always crowned their champion on the tourney. The Big Ten always crowned their champion on the conference best record. There must be a way to “average” both.

So maybe we count all conference winners for winning the actual record in the conference and then at some arbitrary time we can consider, or add in, which Conferences chose their "automatic" team by the conference title winner.

We can have both worlds. The ACC stuck with the tourney winner and the Big Ten and SEC stuck with the best record in the conference until the NCAA decided the automatic team into the NCAA was the tourney winner (That was arbitrary but the NCAA has the fvcking power to do it).

So, we just come up with a way to consider which system is best or we, in our model, consider both.

I love this type crap.

lurkeraspect84 likes this.
  36. EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bleh. The 2000s and portions of the 2010s really killed Iowa's position in college basketball. There was a point in recent history where Iowa was among the top 20 all-time in wins.

Iowa still made the tournament consistently in the '90s, but it was evident they weren't gonna get the flashy NBA recruits that all these other schools were getting and that's kind where the trend, or misconception I should say, of kids not wanting to go to Iowa because it was too cold and not a destination school began.

Hell just a decade prior, Iowa was consistently a contender in the Big Ten even though they never won a conference title in the '80s with teams like Indiana, Purdue, Michigan and Illinois as top tier programs nationally at the time.

It was a costly and unfortunate presumption that people and recruits actually bought into the bullsh** that a place like Iowa was not a worthwhile destination in sports because it was boring and too cold, while programs like Nebraska were thriving in football in the '80s and '90s, and Indiana and Purdue's campuses were somehow better fits for recruits willing to brave the cold, harsh boring winters...............

And while Iowa still has its own struggles trying to win recruits to Iowa City in an attempt to bring its sports programs back into contender status, it's funny that this idea that Iowa is boring and stale and too cold to handle if you're from a warm weather state has long since been killed off.

Lastly, I just wanted to add, it's also unfortunate that the only thing that kept Iowa from being ahead of St. Joseph's is that you made the cut off 1939, which took away two of our conference championships compared to St. Joe's 23 that helped them erase all the lack of tournament success they've had compared to Iowa...................................just sayin. :)

37. kelley2403

kelley2403 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I was surprised with Maryland also. I would have thought they would have been ahead of us.

38. Demarcus Kidd-Miller

Expand Collapse

Just noticed Michigan is 1-7 in the championship game. That's rough. Didn't realize the Wolverines had made it there 7 times. 7-1 in the FF is impressive though.

E8 is UKs kryptonite.

118 Demarcus Kidd-Miller, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  39. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Crap. Iowa is around 25 to 30.

40. duckboy33

duckboy33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse