ADVERTISEMENT

50 Greatest Programs of All-Time (Updated Through 2021)

Let's compare the numbers for Kansas State and Iowa.

NCAA Tournaments: 31-26, K-State leads
Sweet 16's: 17-8, K-State leads
Elite 8's: 13-4, K-State leads
Final 4's: 4-3, K-State leads
Title Games: 1-1, Tie
Conference Titles: 12-6, K-State leads

The numbers are not very close. No objective person would say that Iowa has accomplished more than Kansas State. So, either you're being obtuse, or you're just wildly lazy with how you examine actual data.

Kansas State's program is far superior

Might make sense if the NCAA wasn't so arbitrary with how they enforce the rule-breakers.

And a school is already punished for being placed on probation. Kentucky, for example, won the SEC outright with a 14-4 record in 1991. But, Miss. State and LSU, who both finished at 13-5, are given credit for being the regular season champs.

You have done a wonderful job (with a lot or work) on this. One thing I want throw out there... Before segregation in the South a lot of SEC schools would not participate in the NCAA Tournament. Several years UK went when other schools would not. I don't know if that would impact your ratings any more than UNC creating classes for athletes and acting like they are as pure as the driven snow though.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You have done a wonderful job (with a lot or work) on this. One thing I want throw out there... Before segregation in the South a lot of SEC schools would not participate in the NCAA Tournament. Several years UK went when other schools would not. I don't know if that would impact your ratings any more than UNC creating classes for athletes and acting like they are as pure as the driven snow though.

This is true. Don't know if it would materially effect the numbers. I think Mississippi State was hit the hardest. They won the SEC in '59, '61, and '62. They didn't compete in the NCAAT in any of those years. Easily could have been a Final Four team that was competing for a national title.

This is true. Don't know if it would materially effect the numbers. I think Mississippi State was hit the hardest. They won the SEC in '59, '61, and '62. They didn't compete in the NCAAT in any of those years. Easily could have been a Final Four team that was competing for a national title.
Mississippi State did not win the SEC in 1962. They shared the title with UK.

Kentucky is not responsible for racism in Mississippi.

Mississippi State did not win the SEC in 1962. They shared the title with UK.

Kentucky is not responsible for racism in Mississippi.

Didn't say they won it outright, but it's still an SEC Title. And I think they would have received the automatic bid, as they had the head-to-head edge on Kentucky.

Still gotta feel for that program a little. They were ranked #3 in the final poll in '59, and #4 in '62. Those are the only two years in program history where they finished in the top five. So, I think they suffered more than any other program from the segregation laws.

Didn't say they won it outright, but it's still an SEC Title. And I think they would have received the automatic bid, as they had the head-to-head edge on Kentucky.

Still gotta feel for that program a little. They were ranked #3 in the final poll in '59, and #4 in '62. Those are the only two years in program history where they finished in the top five. So, I think they suffered more than any other program from the segregation laws.

As I said it was not Kentucky's problem and no I don't feel for them.

Why did they turn down the invite? We know the answer. It is not UK's fault that they did not go, so they screwed themselves.

What about the other 45 UK titles?

Bailey Howell was a great player at MSU. Bama stayed home at lease once that I remember. I think... Hell, I'm old...

Last edited:
As I said it was not Kentucky's problem and no I don't feel for them.

Why did they turn down the invite? We know the answer. It is not UK's fault that they did not go, so they screwed themselves.

What about the other 45 UK titles?

Well, you do have to feel sorry for the players. They were denied a trip of a lifetime. I would bet if you polled them and every individual associated with the program they didn't agree with the decisions a bunch of politicians made.

Colorado has been to 6 Elite 8's and 2 Final Fours - and they still didn't make the cut for the top 50. A pedestrian program over the course of a half century will do that to you.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Maryland had some great teams when Lefty was there. Problem was UNC, Duke, and Virginia were really good also. JMO, but they have to be close to top 25.

Maryland obviously would have had a good run in '74 (that was the only time they had a top 10 team to miss the tournament). Their complete body of work over the past 80 years isn't overly impressive, however. They've only been to the Elite 8 four times (73, 75, 01, 02). A lot of the same players on the 73 & 75 squads - and the 01 & 02 squads. No other school in my top 25 has less than six Elite 8 appearances. They've been in the top 10 of the final AP Poll just 8 times. Certainly a very competitive basketball school, they've just not been elite for long periods of time.

Maryland obviously would have had a good run in '74 (that was the only time they had a top 10 team to miss the tournament). Their complete body of work over the past 80 years isn't overly impressive, however. They've only been to the Elite 8 four times (73, 75, 01, 02). A lot of the same players on the 73 & 75 squads - and the 01 & 02 squads. No other school in my top 25 has less than six Elite 8 appearances. They've been in the top 10 of the final AP Poll just 8 times. Certainly a very competitive basketball school, they've just not been elite for long periods of time.

That ACC tournament knocked a lot of good teams out of the tournament back in the day. Some of those schools played great basketball all year, stumbled in the tournament and stayed home.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
That ACC tournament knocked a lot of good teams out of the tournament back in the day. Some of those schools played great basketball all year, stumbled in the tournament and stayed home.

I'm gonna bump this up. I think that from 1950 until around 1970 the NCAA tournament was an exclusive deal. There were a lot of schools that had great teams, but to qualify was far more diificult than today's, watered down bunch of posers.

I do know that Kentucky State University (an NAIA school at that time) had Travis Grant, and Elmore Smith. They went something like 33-0. Beat the dog crap of any team put in front of them, and both guys ended up in the NBA. Grant was 6'8" and if he passed mid-court would kill you with a jumper. Ended up playing serverl year in the league. Elmore would not allow a shot anywhere near the paint. 7 foot, ran like a deer and had a lot of bad ass. At one time he held the single game shot blocking record for the NBA.

I went to Frankfort, KY to watch them seveal times. No doubt they were the best team in Kentucky during their time there.

Reactions: GE Nole
I'm gonna bump this up. I think that from 1950 until around 1970 the NCAA tournament was an exclusive deal. There were a lot of schools that had great teams, but to qualify was far more diificult than today's, watered down bunch of posers.

I do know that Kentucky State University (an NAIA school at that time) had Travis Grant, and Elmore Smith. They went something like 33-0. Beat the dog crap of any team put in front of them, and both guys ended up in the NBA. Grant was 6'8" and if he passed mid-court would kill you with a jumper. Ended up playing serverl year in the league. Elmore would not allow a shot anywhere near the paint. 7 foot, ran like a deer and had a lot of bad ass. At one time he held the single game shot blocking record for the NBA.

I went to Frankfort, KY to watch them seveal times. No doubt they were the best team in Kentucky during their time there.

So back to Maryland, they really haven't missed out on that many opportunities. In 1954, they finished 20th in the AP Poll. With only 24 teams in the tournament, they would have been the underdog in just about every game. The ACC Champ also lost in the regional semifinals.

The 1972 Maryland team could have done damage. They finished 14th in the AP Poll. So maybe a Sweet 16 or Elite 8? Obviously the '74 team missing the tournament was a big deal, as that was largely the reason why multiple bids from the same conference were allowed in the NCAAT the next year. The '74 Maryland team was too good to not be in the tournament. Legitimate Final Four/Title contender. Overall, though, no. I wouldn't say missing the tournament three times, when ranked, has largely impacted Maryland's overall resume. A little bit, yes. But, they weren't consistently ranked.

I've added a few metrics to my database. It now includes NIT points, 2 points for a top 10 finish (AP Final Poll), 1 point for top 25, 1 point for a winning percentage of .800 or better, -1 for below .500, and -2 for below .300. Probably still not perfect, but it will do for now. I went 75-deep, just for the heck of it. I evaluated 90 teams total, so perhaps I'm missing a few teams in the 51-75 range.

Double-click on the screenshots to enlarge.

All-Time-Programs.png

All-Time-Programs1.png

All-Time-Programs2.png

The above table doesn't explain how the NIT points were calculated. I included the NIT results for the years between 1939-1956. Here are the top 20 NIT teams from that period of time.

NIT-1939to56.png

I've added a few metrics to my database. It now includes NIT points, 2 points for a top 10 finish (AP Final Poll), 1 point for top 25, 1 point for a winning percentage of .800 or better, -1 for below .500, and -2 for below .300. Probably still not perfect, but it will do for now. I went 75-deep, just for the heck of it. I evaluated 90 teams total, so perhaps I'm missing a few teams in the 51-75 range.

All-Time-Programs.png

All-Time-Programs1.png

All-Time-Programs2.png

The above table doesn't explain how the NIT points were calculated. I included the NIT results for the years between 1939-1956. Here are the top 20 NIT teams from that period of time.

NIT-1939to56.png
Looks legit.

also, how much credit are you giving them for the majority of their conference championships, are from when they were in a 2nd, or 3rd tier conference like the Metro?

I'm just struggling to understand how they could have more points in the conference championship portion then IU does. When all of IU's was from the B1G, but almost all of UL's are from the Metro, or conference USA?

also, how much credit are you giving them for the majority of their conference championships, are from when they were in a 2nd, or 3rd tier conference like the Metro?

I'm just struggling to understand how they could have more points in the conference championship portion then IU does. When all of IU's was from the B1G, but almost all of UL's are from the Metro, or conference USA?
Don't sell the Metro Conference so short. It was a really good conference. UL, Cincy, Memphis, FLorida State ....Tulane, So.Miss, VaTech had some good teams. During its heyday, the Metro was consider a major conference...

Also, C-USA wasn't chopped liver, either.

Question....why are you still giving UL credit for 3 championships?

I don't believe in revisionist history. All vacated stats are given full credit.

Conference champs from power conferences receive the full 5 points. If a conference champ from a non-power conference isn't a top 25 team - AND if there's not at least one other school that's in the top 25, then they only receive 4 points. Hence, Louisville actually had 13 points deducted. This was the 2nd post in the thread.

Conference Champions that weren't nationally ranked, and didn't have another conference member that was also ranked (1 point deduction):
28- Western Kentucky
22- Gonzaga
21- Saint Joseph's
20- UConn
19- BYU
17- Utah
16- Butler
15- Temple, San Francisco, Xavier
13- Louisville
12- West Virginia
11- UTEP
10- Cincinnati, Memphis
9- Wyoming
8- Arizona, Arizona State, UNLV, Wichita State
6- Loyola Chicago
4- Houston
3- Villanova, Dayton
2- Florida State, Baylor

I don't believe in revisionist history. All vacated stats are given full credit.

Louisville won that title fair and square. In fact they won it after losing a man to a broken leg. If anyone doubts it I have most of those games on Bluray. Eyeroll

I suppose that is the only basketball title removed by the crooked NCAA. Many should have been if the same standards had been applied evenly. Whores, ACT tests, jewelry and academics are treated differently.

To my knowledge that did not happen often. I remember Mississippi State. Was there another?

I don't think that it would have any impact.

And here's how it breaks down by the current conference alignment.

Big Ten (9):
6. Indiana
10. Ohio State
11. Michigan State
12. Michigan
26. Illinois
28. Wisconsin
34. Purdue
35. Maryland
47. Iowa

ACC (7):
3. North Carolina
5. Duke
7. Louisville
14. Syracuse
22. NC State
30. Notre Dame
31. Virginia

Big 12 (6):
4. Kansas
16. Oklahoma State
23. Kansas State
24. Oklahoma
27. Texas
39. West Virginia

Big East (6):
9. Villanova
18. Georgetown
21. Marquette
38. St.John's
44. Butler
49. Xavier

Pac-12 (6):
2. UCLA
15. Arizona
19. Utah
41. California
43. Oregon
50. Stanford

American (5):
8. UConn
13. Cincinnati
29. Memphis
36. Houston
37. Temple

SEC (4):
1. Kentucky
17. Arkansas
20. Florida
42. LSU

WCC (3):
25. San Francisco
33. Gonzaga
48. BYU

Mountain West (2):
32. UNLV
45. Wyoming

A-10 (1):
46. Saint Joseph's

Con-USA (1):
40. Western Kentucky
Illinois getting drug for tourney success. Look at Wisconsin. Wins and losses aren't irrelevant. 200 more wins in 7 fewer seasons.

Illinois getting drug for tourney success. Look at Wisconsin. Wins and losses aren't irrelevant. 200 more wins in 7 fewer seasons.

Kind of an impossible task, especially since conferences aren't equal. Subjectivity is high. But, look at post #177. I added a few more metrics. Illinois finished at #25, while Wisconsin dropped to #40. Also, no points are awarded until 1939, the first year of the tournament.

Kind of an impossible task, especially since conferences aren't equal. Subjectivity is high. But, look at post #177. I added a few more metrics. Illinois finished at #25, while Wisconsin dropped to #40. Also, no points are awarded until 1939, the first year of the tournament.
That looks fair. No real complaint about Illinois being there after the past decade. Wisconsin has been a historically terrible program until recent though, so seeing them that close was a red flag.

That looks fair. No real complaint about Illinois being there after the past decade. Wisconsin has been a historically terrible program until recent though, so seeing them that close was a red flag.

This is true. Since 1939, they've had 36 losing seasons and 20 seasons where they had a winning percentage below .300. Both of those marks are the worst for any program in the top 50. It's crazy how consistent they've been the past two decades. Made it to 20 of the past 21 NCAA Tournaments, which accounts for all but four of their tournament appearances. Wisconsin has actually been to the tournament more times this century than both Kentucky (2009, 2013) and North Carolina (2002,2003, 2010). The only schools that have made it every time this century are Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, and Gonzaga.

I've included 14 metrics on this spreadsheet. Not sure if I can really add much else to the equation. I think I could maybe refine how the points are allocated, so I'm open to adjusting these numbers in the future.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
This is true. Since 1939, they've had 36 losing seasons and 20 seasons where they had a winning percentage below .300. Both of those marks are the worst for any program in the top 50. It's crazy how consistent they've been the past two decades. Made it to 20 of the past 21 NCAA Tournaments, which accounts for all but four of their tournament appearances. Wisconsin has actually been to the tournament more times this century than both Kentucky (2009, 2013) and North Carolina (2002,2003, 2010). The only schools that have made it every time this century are Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, and Gonzaga.

I've included 14 metrics on this spreadsheet. Not sure if I can really add much else to the equation. I think I could maybe refine how the points are allocated, so I'm open to adjusting these numbers in the future.
Honestly, it's subjective at this point. I think you have a good model for what you're looking at and trying to accomplish. Do you do predictive models too?

Honestly, it's subjective at this point. I think you have a good model for what you're looking at and trying to accomplish. Do you do predictive models too?

Predictive models, like gauging how a team will perform in the upcoming season? Trying to develop an algorithm of some kind could be interesting. But, not sure I'm there yet. Is that something you've thought about doing?

Predictive models, like gauging how a team will perform in the upcoming season? Trying to develop an algorithm of some kind could be interesting. But, not sure I'm there yet. Is that something you've thought about doing?
I've done it for different applications, but I haven't done it for CBB yet. I definitely would like to get into that.

They won SEC titles playing against no black player?

wjat makes you think they would have won any games in the NCAA or NIT?

All-Time-Programs.png

All-Time-Programs1.png

All-Time-Programs2.png

NIT-1939to56.png
There is a bigger point difference between 5 (Kansas) and 6 (Louisville) than there is a difference between 6 (Louisville) and 20 (Marquette).

I think that makes it pretty clear that there are really only 5 bluebloods.

Number one they always get a good seeding even if it is not deserved.

Anyway: If they are so great why did it take them until 1991 to win a title? The NCAA tourney started in what 1939?

You’re seriously arguing a fact? Yes, the NCAA Tournament started in 1939. Yes, Duke won its first Natty in 1991 and YES, Duke has the best win% of all-time in the NCAA Tournament! Argue with yourself, sir!

You’re seriously arguing a fact? Yes, the NCAA Tournament started in 1939. Yes, Duke won its first Natty in 1991 and YES, Duke has the best win% of all-time in the NCAA Tournament! Argue with yourself, sir!
That is something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT