5 Most Iconic Sports Moments Since 2000

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
This includes college and pro sports.

For me:

1. 2004 MLB ALCS Championship for Red Sox over the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the series
2. 2018 NCAA #16 UMBC upsetting #1 UVA
3. 2016 MLB Cubs WS Championship over the Indians after being down 3-1 in the series
4. 2016 NBA Cavs Championship over the Warriors after being down 3-1 in the series
5. 2015 Horse Racing American Pharoah Triple Crown

I'm sure this will vary between posters but who do ya"ll got?

I don't disagree with those personally.

My personal top 5 moments of the 2000s so far.

1. Mario's Miracle and the 2008 title- For obvious reasons.

2. American Pharoah- Had never seen a Triple Crown. Wanted to see it badly.

3. Royals win the WS- Not a Royals fan but as a Kansan loved watching them win it all.

4. Red Sox come back from 3-0 over Yankees- My father was a Yankee fan. Loved talking trash with him. On a side note also enjoyed watching the Yankees win the WS in 2009 with my father because at the time knew he only had a few more years to live. To see that happiness was amazing.

5. Michael Phelips Beijing 2008- Incredible seeing Phelps win 8 Gold Medals. Also enjoyed his return to glory in the latest Olympics.

Reactions: olsonab and KisteK
Philadelphia Eagles winning their 1st Super Bowl after their MVP candidate QB was lost for the season HAS to be top 5.

Philadelphia Eagles winning their 1st Super Bowl after their MVP candidate QB was lost for the season HAS to be top 5.
I would agree with this for sure. Especially considering who they defeated.

1. Zinedine Zidane head-butting the Italian dude in the 2006 World Cup Final... Zidane is kicked out of the game, his last game ever, and he walks right by the World Cup Trophy. Greatest midfielder of all-time, IMO.

zidane-world-cup-zizous-gloomy-goode-fifa.jpg

2. David Tyree's helmet catch, propelling the Giants to the biggest upset in Super Bowl History, defeating the previously undefeated Patriots.

Screen-Shot-2017-12-20-at-3.56.43-PM.png

2a. Malcolm Butler saves the day with a last-second goal-line interception in the 2015 Super Bowl. " Why didn't they give the ball to Marshawn Lynch!" screams everybody.

17093-preview.jpg

3. 2008 Olympic Swimming. USA comes back from a huge deficit to beat France by 1/100 of a second in the 4x100 relay.
phelpsrelayweb.jpg

4. Vince Young runs his way to a Rose Bowl Victory and National Championship.
Vince%20TD_1505594735779_10931483_ver1.0.jpg

5. Kris Jenkins. Villanova. Phenomenal.
villanova-unc.jpg

This includes college and pro sports.

For me:

1. 2004 MLB ALCS Championship for Red Sox over the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the series
2. 2018 NCAA #16 UMBC upsetting #1 UVA
3. 2016 MLB Cubs WS Championship over the Indians after being down 3-1 in the series
4. 2016 NBA Cavs Championship over the Warriors after being down 3-1 in the series
5. 2015 Horse Racing American Pharoah Triple Crown

I'm sure this will vary between posters but who do ya"ll got?
Very solid top 5.
Someone else mentioned Phelps' 2008 Olympics. Good one.

Women's soccer have had some pretty big wins. World Cup, Olympic Gold...
Tiger Woods' heyday...
Socio-politicially, Michael Sam, Caitlyn Jenner, Jason Collins, Pat Tillman...
Cal Ripkin, Jr breaks Gehrig's streak...
World Series cancelled in 1994...
Serena Williams' career...
Steroid scandals...
CTE & the NFL...

Very solid top 5.

Tiger Woods' heyday...
Steroid scandals...
CTE & the NFL...

I think you missed the "moments" and "since 2000" part of the title.

Very solid top 5.

Tiger Woods' heyday...
Steroid scandals...
CTE & the NFL...

You didn't reference a single game. Impressive.

Jesus not even close, the Eagles were only 3 point underdogs for that SB weren't they? That was barely an upset-the Eagles showed that they were the best team in the NFL all season with Wentz or Foles.

Reactions: ceilo77
1. Zinedine Zidane head-butting the Italian dude in the 2006 World Cup Final... Zidane is kicked out of the game, his last game ever, and he walks right by the World Cup Trophy. Greatest midfielder of all-time, IMO.

2. David Tyree's helmet catch, propelling the Giants to the biggest upset in Super Bowl History, defeating the previously undefeated Patriots.

2a. Malcolm Butler saves the day with a last-second goal-line interception in the 2015 Super Bowl. " Why didn't they give the ball to Marshawn Lynch!" screams everybody.

17093-preview.jpg

3. 2008 Olympic Swimming. USA comes back from a huge deficit to beat France by 1/100 of a second in the 4x100 relay.
phelpsrelayweb.jpg

villanova-unc.jpg
That relay in 2008 was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in swimming. Actually the Jason Lezak final split in particular. He ran down the world record holder who had a body length head start on him. That is just unheard of in swimming. His split was ridiculous and still probably the fastest ever. It would be like a career 9.85 100 meter dash guy running a 9.5 out of nowhere in his biggest possible moment at the end of his career.

Jesus not even close, the Eagles were only 3 point underdogs for that SB weren't they? That was barely an upset-the Eagles showed that they were the best team in the NFL all season with Wentz or Foles.
The Eagles were underdogs in Every playoff game they played & 2 of those were in Philly.

Chicago cubs winning the world series in 2016, its first one in over 100 years (last one in 1908), has to top this list!

https://www.si.com/longform/timeline/chicago-cubs-history/index.html

1876-chicago-white-stockings.jpg

Cubs win franchise’s first World Series in 1907!
1906-chicago-cubs.jpg

1907-cubs-world-series.jpg

Cubs win second World Series title in 1908.
1908-chicago-cubs.jpg

1929 marks First of four World Series losses over next decade
which includes
Babe Ruth’s “Called Shot” helps sink Cubs in World Series

1932-chicago-cubs-babe-ruth.jpg

The "Bambino Curse"!

Ivy added to Wrigley Field’s outfield walls (1937)
1937-cubs-wrigley-ivy.jpg

Billy Goat Curse sends Cubs to a sixth straight World Series loss in 1945.

1945-cubs-billy-goat-curse.jpg

Cubs begin worst stretch in franchise history (for next 20 years).

The Black Cat Curse (1969)
1969-cubs-mets-black-cat.jpg

In 1984, Cubs snap 39-year postseason drought
1984-cubs-padres.jpg

(Ryne Sandberg)

Finally, in 2016, Cubs win 103 games, NL Central title
Cubs win pennant, advance to World Series (after 71 years):
2016-chicago-cubs-pennant.jpg

Cubs win first World Series in 108 years
161103_gma_holmes2_16x9_992.jpg

1586962_1280x720.jpg

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You want to hear a joke? Women's sports

Seriously, 16 Final Fours this century alone... that alone equals Duke all-time count. Geno Auriema has more national titles than Coach K, Roy Williams, John Calipari, and Bill Self combined.

Yep. He's the only one doing it. Can't be that easy, right?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Yep. He's the only one doing it. Can't be that easy, right?

Pat Summit won 8... Obviously a lot easier to do in women's sports as they don't have to worry about attrition in the same way. But overall, the parity in women's sports is awful. Take women's soccer, for example. UNC has 21 national titles and all the other schools in the NCAA have combined for 15.

Pat Summit won 8... Obviously a lot easier to do in women's sports as they don't have to worry about attrition in the same way. But overall, the parity in women's sports is awful. Take women's soccer, for example. UNC has 21 national titles and all the other schools in the NCAA have combined for 15.

Something something AFAM. Something something look the other way.

Reactions: Quavarius

Parity was an issue in men's sports in the early days (before modern rules). Lots of women sports have only been around maybe 40-45 years. Some people on this board can actually remember when women didn't have sports team or only competed in a few sports.

Also, Pat and Geno have a whopping 4 more titles combined than Wooden and K combined.

Last edited:

17093-preview.jpg

phelpsrelayweb.jpg

villanova-unc.jpg

I'd take out the Malcolm Butler play and add American Pharaoh. But really solid list and pics.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Chicago cubs winning the world series in 2016, its first one in over 100 years (last one in 1908), has to top this list!

https://www.si.com/longform/timeline/chicago-cubs-history/index.html

1876-chicago-white-stockings.jpg

Cubs win franchise’s first World Series in 1907!
1906-chicago-cubs.jpg

1907-cubs-world-series.jpg

Cubs win second World Series title in 1908.
1908-chicago-cubs.jpg

1929 marks First of four World Series losses over next decade
which includes
Babe Ruth’s “Called Shot” helps sink Cubs in World Series

1932-chicago-cubs-babe-ruth.jpg

The "Bambino Curse"!

Ivy added to Wrigley Field’s outfield walls (1937)
1937-cubs-wrigley-ivy.jpg

Billy Goat Curse sends Cubs to a sixth straight World Series loss in 1945.

1945-cubs-billy-goat-curse.jpg

Cubs begin worst stretch in franchise history (for next 20 years).

The Black Cat Curse (1969)
1969-cubs-mets-black-cat.jpg

In 1984, Cubs snap 39-year postseason drought
1984-cubs-padres.jpg

(Ryne Sandberg)

Finally, in 2016, Cubs win 103 games, NL Central title
Cubs win pennant, advance to World Series (after 71 years):
2016-chicago-cubs-pennant.jpg

Cubs win first World Series in 108 years
161103_gma_holmes2_16x9_992.jpg

1586962_1280x720.jpg

GHEY! And no one gives a ****.

GO WHITE SOX!

You didn't reference a single game. Impressive.
Okaaaaaay...
Women's World Cup, 2015. The finals.
Tiger, 2007 US Open
Nets v Lakers, Feb 23, 2014- Jason Collins becomes first openly gay male athlete in any major pro US team sport.

Reactions: Quavarius
I don't disagree with those personally.

My personal top 5 moments of the 2000s so far.

1. Mario's Miracle and the 2008 title- For obvious reasons.

2. American Pharoah- Had never seen a Triple Crown. Wanted to see it badly.

3. Royals win the WS- Not a Royals fan but as a Kansan loved watching them win it all.

4. Red Sox come back from 3-0 over Yankees- My father was a Yankee fan. Loved talking trash with him. On a side note also enjoyed watching the Yankees win the WS in 2009 with my father because at the time knew he only had a few more years to live. To see that happiness was amazing.

5. Michael Phelips Beijing 2008- Incredible seeing Phelps win 8 Gold Medals. Also enjoyed his return to glory in the latest Olympics.

Good call on phelps

Okaaaaaay...
Women's World Cup, 2015. The finals.
Tiger, 2007 US Open
Nets v Lakers, Feb 23, 2014- Jason Collins becomes first openly gay male athlete in any major pro US team sport.

I was certainly rooting for the US Women in 2015, but that was hardly a contest. 15 minutes or so into the match, they went up 4-0... If that's one of your favorite moments, that's fine. But I'm not sure you'll see it on anyone's top 100 list for the century.

Parity was an issue in men's sports in the early days (before modern rules). Lots of women sports have only been around maybe 40-45 years. Some people on this board can actually remember when women didn't have sports team or only competed in a few sports.

Also, Pat and Geno have a whopping 4 more titles combined than Wooden and K combined.

NCAA Women's Titles:
UConn/Tennessee - 19
Rest of the NCAA - 18

Summit went to 18 Final Fours in 27 years
Auriema has been to 16 of the last 19 Final Fours

Winnig Percentage:
Auriemma- .883
Summit- .874
Wooden- .817
Coach K- .765

In the last 25 years, Geno Auriemma has a winning percentage of .937 (865 wins, 58 losses). The dude is averaging 34-35 wins a seasons over that span, and just barely over 2 losses a year. Auriemma has had 12 seasons with 1 loss or fewer. And it's not like UConn is playing a light schedule. In each of the last 2 seasons, they've played 7 ranked teams in their out-of-conference schedule... In the last 10 years, women's basketball has seen 10 teams go undefeated in the regular season alone. Auriemma has had 6 perfect seasons himself. Please let me know when a men's program ever comes close to duplicating these numbers.

I was certainly rooting for the US Women in 2015, but that was hardly a contest. 15 minutes or so into the match, they went up 4-0... If that's one of your favorite moments, that's fine. But I'm not sure you'll see it on anyone's top 100 list for the century.
The Red Sox won the '04 World Series 4-0; it was a big deal b/c they hadn't won it since 1918, not because they won it in a dramatic game 7 in 13 innings.

There's over 80 years left in the century, but so far, the accomplishment of winning the World Cup is definitely top 100.

In the last 25 years, Geno Auriemma has a winning percentage of .937 (865 wins, 58 losses)... Auriemma has had 6 perfect seasons himself. Please let me know when a men's program ever comes close to duplicating these numbers.
There's more parity in the men's game and different sports aren't objectively comparable. College football has had 9 undefeated champions in the last 20 years. The NFL has had one undefeated champion in the entire Super Bowl Era of 52 years.

No disrespect to Auriemma. He's amazing and deserves all the praise he gets and more.

The Red Sox won the '04 World Series 4-0; it was a big deal b/c they hadn't won it since 1918, not because they won it in a dramatic game 7 in 13 innings.

There's over 80 years left in the century, but so far, the accomplishment of winning the World Cup is definitely top 100.

If you're going to select a moment from USWNT, I think the first choice would probably be the overtime goal, in extra minutes no less, by Alex Morgan, to vault the US into the 2012 Gold Medal match. The US winning a World Cup in 2015 was nothing extraordinary, at least not in the historic sense. US Women have won 4 of the 6 Olympics and 3 of the 7 World Cups. It's almost the equivalent of celebrating a UConn Women's National Title as a top moment. It's nothing extraordinary, because it happens frequently and it's almost expected.

The Red Soxs win was historic, yes. But I'd say the Red Soxs beating the Yankees, coming back from 3-0, was more iconic. It was a bit of poetic justice for the team and the city.

If you're going to select a moment from USWNT, I think the first choice would probably be the overtime goal, in extra minutes no less, by Alex Morgan, to vault the US into the 2012 Gold Medal match. The US winning a World Cup in 2015 was nothing extraordinary, at least not in the historic sense. US Women have won 4 of the 6 Olympics and 3 of the 7 World Cups. It's almost the equivalent of celebrating a UConn Women's National Title as a top moment. It's nothing extraordinary, because it happens frequently and it's almost expected.

The Red Soxs win was historic, yes. But I'd say the Red Soxs beating the Yankees, coming back from 3-0, was more iconic. It was a bit of poetic justice for the team and the city.
Eh. If we want to get as technical as possible about a moment, we're going to end up talking about some midseason game between a 3rd place and 5th place team where one of them rallies for the win from a huge deficit. There's a drama factor, but there's also a relevance factor. Everything else being equal, a championship is inherently more valuable than a semi-final win. There's a good case to be made that coming back from down 3-0 vs the Yankees was bigger than the WS win, or that the Miracle on Ice was bigger than the gold medal clinching game against Finland a few days later. Those are exceptions, though.

The US women hadn't won the World Cup since '99. There was one player left from that team. All the rest had grown up idolizing the '99 team and it was their first win. Considering we're only talking about this century and the World Cup is an event that occurs only every 4 years, it's a strong candidate.

Eh. If we want to get as technical as possible about a moment, we're going to end up talking about some midseason game between a 3rd place and 5th place team where one of them rallies for the win from a huge deficit. There's a drama factor, but there's also a relevance factor. Everything else being equal, a championship is inherently more valuable than a semi-final win. There's a good case to be made that coming back from down 3-0 vs the Yankees was bigger than the WS win, or that the Miracle on Ice was bigger than the gold medal clinching game against Finland a few days later. Those are exceptions, though.

The US women hadn't won the World Cup since '99. There was one player left from that team. All the rest had grown up idolizing the '99 team and it was their first win. Considering we're only talking about this century and the World Cup is an event that occurs only every 4 years, it's a strong candidate.

Maybe a strong candidate for the top 100, definitely not the top 5. But if that's your personal preference, that's fine. Can't argue with your preferences.

But from a broader scope, I don't think it will be highly regarded like many of the other moments discussed ITT. If you look at the World Cup Winners in a linear form, it doesn't really look that impressive. The last 5 winners are: US, Germany, Germany, Japan, US. So yeah, nothing historic about it. Also, the US Women won the Olympics in 2012, 2008, and 2004. The Olympics is still significant from a bragging perspective because all of the top females play in it. Unlike the Olympics for Men's Soccer, which is almost exclusively for 23 years and younger. I believe you can have 3 players that are over 23. Kind of a strange rule, but the point is the Olympic Gold Medal is just as prestigious, because the talent level isn't diluted.

Maybe a strong candidate for the top 100, definitely not the top 5. But if that's your personal preference, that's fine. Can't argue with your preferences.

But from a broader scope, I don't think it will be highly regarded like many of the other moments discussed ITT. If you look at the World Cup Winners in a linear form, it doesn't really look that impressive. The last 5 winners are: US, Germany, Germany, Japan, US. So yeah, nothing historic about it. Also, the US Women won the Olympics in 2012, 2008, and 2004. The Olympics is still significant from a bragging perspective because all of the top females play in it. Unlike the Olympics for Men's Soccer, which is almost exclusively for 23 years and younger. I believe you can have 3 players that are over 23. Kind of a strange rule, but the point is the Olympic Gold Medal is just as prestigious, because the talent level isn't diluted.
I'd go w/ the OP's top 5, possibly including Phelps' 8 golds somewhere, so I don't think the women's WC is top 5. I think you're undervaluing it to say it's maybe top 100, and I think the amount of time you've spent going back-and-forth w/ me about it is weird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT