#5 Florida loses to Loyola-Chicago

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Loyola-Chicago knocks off #5 Florida 65-59 in Gainesville for their third straight loss. Think they fall out of the rankings next week?

NVBoilerFan

Aug 4, 2007
Team
Purdue
Looks like the last thing you should want for your team is to be ranked 5th. Believe ND was there a couple of weeks ago, then got pounded by M$U and lost to Ball State at home.

FlGator22

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2004
Never seen this type of negative switch in Gator history.

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Crazy year....Honestly feel it's Duke/MSU.....................................................And the rest. Now that can change. And probably will. But as of now, I don't feel there's any question they are the two best teams in CBB. And yes I know other teams will get better. But, ummm, so will these two.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Florida will probably end up as a 3 or 4 seed with 24 or so wins and end up a top 16 KenPom team.

That being said, LOLGata

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
That Floridas SOS is going to boost their RPI and give them really good metrics once they start rolling off wins again.
Sounds to me like you don't fully understand how the RPI works. Home losses are brutal. BRUTAL. They count as 1.4 losses.

On top of that, you don't get an RPI boost from playing a highly ranked RPI team. You get a boost from playing a team with a great win/loss record. Playing Loyola tonight is better for your RPI than playing Alabama.

Now, often times a highly ranked team in the RPI also is a team with a great win/loss record. But that's correlation, not causation.

Your resume gets a boost from beating teams ranked high in the RPI. Your actual RPI gets a boost from winning road games and games against teams with a lot of wins--regardless of who those wins are against.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Sounds to me like you don't fully understand how the RPI works. Home losses are brutal. BRUTAL. They count as 1.4 losses.

On top of that, you don't get an RPI boost from playing a highly ranked RPI team. You get a boost from playing a team with a great win/loss record. Playing Loyola tonight is better for your RPI than playing Alabama.

Now, often times a highly ranked team in the RPI also is a team with a great win/loss record. But that's correlation, not causation.

Your resume gets a boost from beating teams ranked high in the RPI. Your actual RPI gets a boost from winning road games and games against teams with a lot of wins--regardless of who those wins are against.
This is not how Ive cone to understand it.

Im under the impression playing highly rabked teams and losing to them is actually more valuable than beating lower ranked teams.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
@GE Nole is there any links you can probide to support this? I was told last week road wins dont matter in RPI after reading preciously they do.

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
This is not how Ive cone to understand it.

Im under the impression playing highly rabked teams and losing to them is actually more valuable than beating lower ranked teams.
Rpi is a simple (and extremely flawed) formula. 25% is your record (according to the RPI, not in real life). 50% your opponents' record (again, according to the RPI). 25% your opponents' opponents' record.

Then it's 1.4 for a road win, 1 for a neutral win, and 0.6 for a home win. Reverse that for the losses.

The reason UF's RPI was so high last year was because they didn't play any home games in the OOC because of construction on the ODome.

The RPI is extremely easy to minipulate. It's asinine to me that schools don't do it every year. Fortunately this is the last year that it will be the sole metric used. All you do to manipulate it is:
1) schedule lots of road/neutral games.
2) schedule the best teams in average to bad conferences.

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll shoot you a few links tomorrow.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Rpi is a simple (and extremely flawed) formula. 25% is your record (according to the RPI, not in real life). 50% your opponents' record (again, according to the RPI). 25% your opponents' opponents' record.

Then it's 1.4 for a road win, 1 for a neutral win, and 0.6 for a home win. Reverse that for the losses.

The reason UF's RPI was so high last year was because they didn't play any home games in the OOC because of construction on the ODome.

The RPI is extremely easy to minipulate. It's asinine to me that schools don't do it every year. Fortunately this is the last year that it will be the sole metric used. All you do to manipulate it is:
1) schedule lots of road/neutral games.
2) schedule the best teams in average to bad conferences.

I'm on my phone right now, but I'll shoot you a few links tomorrow.
Ok thank you so mucj for this. I had read previously road wins are huge for RPI but multiple posters shot that down in anither thread so assumed they were correct without really researching more.

tw3301

Mar 31, 2009
Team
Duke
Very shocking loss. I'm not sure what's happening over there. Maybe just playing to the level of competition?
Well they just got beat, badly, at home by FSU... not exactly a mid major so I don't think that's it. Something definitely isn't clicking after a very strong start.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

kyjeff1

Sep 8, 2012
Not really sure what’s going on with Florida right now. A couple weeks ago, they looked scary good.
Simply put, shots were falling. I think Florida and KU are very similar, they rely on outside shooting to bury teams, if they go cold they're in trouble. I've also noticed defense struggles when their offense isn't producing.
If those two teams are hitting they can beat anybody.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Hey @Mgkcbb

This link is to part 3 in a 3-part series on the RPI. I linked part 3 because it has the links to Parts 1 and 2 included in the article. Start at Part 1. (Keep in mind it was written a year ago, so the specific examples are not for this season).

Also, just this year it was announced that the selection committee will tweak how it categorizes good and bad wins. It's no longer just top 50, 100, etc. Now, a road win against the number 65 team is worth roughly the same in the eyes of the selection committee to a home win to the number 25 team.

See more here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ion-committee-adjusts-team-sheets-emphasizing

Reactions: Mgkcbb

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
It’s a mentally weak team. As most offensive teams are.
What do you think of White? Do you think the transfers contribute to the mental weakness because they haven't been "in the system?"

FlGator22

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2004
What do you think of White? Do you think the transfers contribute to the mental weakness because they haven't been "in the system?"
I still like him. I think he is just as frustrated and perplexed by their lack of gang rebounding and defense as the fans are. From day one of this season he said he saw this as an issue. I truly think they are just an e titled offensive bunch. But to parlay that into your other question, I do think the transfers have hurt the team defense. Hudson we knew the day he stepped foot on campus would be a defensive liability. Koulechov we knew didn’t have great defensive ability either.

I don’t buy the Egbunu excuse. Our Final Four/Elite Eight teams of recent past (not last year), had Young at 6’9 and Yeguette at 6’7 and they were great at rebounding and defense. It’s a mentality. This team doesn’t have it.

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
I still like him. I think he is just as frustrated and perplexed by their lack of gang rebounding and defense as the fans are. From day one of this season he said he saw this as an issue. I truly think they are just an e titled offensive bunch. But to parlay that into your other question, I do think the transfers have hurt the team defense. Hudson we knew the day he stepped foot on campus would be a defensive liability. Koulechov we knew didn’t have great defensive ability either.

I don’t buy the Egbunu excuse. Our Final Four/Elite Eight teams of recent past (not last year), had Young at 6’9 and Yeguette at 6’7 and they were great at rebounding and defense. It’s a mentality. This team doesn’t have it.
That all sounds fair. Thanks.

I do remember Hudson being a real defensive liability at VT.

Mgkcbb

Apr 2, 2016
Hey @Mgkcbb

This link is to part 3 in a 3-part series on the RPI. I linked part 3 because it has the links to Parts 1 and 2 included in the article. Start at Part 1. (Keep in mind it was written a year ago, so the specific examples are not for this season).

Also, just this year it was announced that the selection committee will tweak how it categorizes good and bad wins. It's no longer just top 50, 100, etc. Now, a road win against the number 65 team is worth roughly the same in the eyes of the selection committee to a home win to the number 25 team.

See more here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ion-committee-adjusts-team-sheets-emphasizing
Thank you so much for this. This stuff is right in my wheel house.

Reactions: GE Nole