ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Clown team thread - AKA Louisville appreciation thread

Oklahoma State lost to Southern Illinois; not a horrible loss, though. Still a top 100 team.

Colorado losing to Grambling State, however, is quite the L. That's a sub-300 team.

Reactions: englandnu
Oklahoma State lost to Southern Illinois; not a horrible loss, though. Still a top 100 team.

Colorado losing to Grambling State, however, is quite the L. That's a sub-300 team.
I wonder how many times a HBCU has beaten a P5 team throughout history. Can't be very often. (Prepares for UK-Texas Western jokes even though Texas Western (UTEP) wasn't/isn't a HBCU). 😂

Everyone, please join me in giving a nice, warm welcome to the Tennessee Volunteers. The 16-point favorites just got severely trampled by the Colorado Buffaloes (who lost to Grambling State 2 days ago). The Vols managed to shoot around 25% from the field and from 3 against the vaunted Colorado defense. Impressive.

Colorado - 78
Tennessee - 66

Everyone, please join me in giving a nice, warm welcome to the Tennessee Volunteers. The 16-point favorites just got severely trampled by the Colorado Buffaloes (who lost to Grambling State 2 days ago). The Vols managed to shoot around 25% from the field and from 3 against the vaunted Colorado defense. Impressive.

Colorado - 78
Tennessee - 66
Welcome to this thread @della, I was getting lonely.

I wonder how many times a HBCU has beaten a P5 team throughout history. Can't be very often. (Prepares for UK-Texas Western jokes even though Texas Western (UTEP) wasn't/isn't a HBCU). 😂

The MEAC and SWAC schools are laughably bad - historically and currently. Out of 435 possibilities in KenPom history, only a combined 4 schools have been in the top 150. That's less than 1% lol.

A few of those schools have won in the tournament. I remember Coppin State over South Carolina in 97, Hampton over Iowa State in 2001, and Norfolk State over Missouri in 2012. I'm missing a few, but HBCU have struggled mightily. Doesn't help that they all have really anemic endowment funds, outside of Howard.

Colorado - 78
Tennessee - 66

Wow. Not good. I mean, Colorado's still probably a top 100 team. But, you can't lose to them at home the same week they lose to Grambling State.

I was hyping Tennessee up quite a bit, too. I think I had them #5 in my preseason poll.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
The MEAC and SWAC schools are laughably bad - historically and currently. Out of 435 possibilities in KenPom history, only a combined 4 schools have been in the top 150. That's less than 1% lol.

A few of those schools have won in the tournament. I remember Coppin State over South Carolina in 97, Hampton over Iowa State in 2001, and Norfolk State over Missouri in 2012. I'm missing a few, but HBCU have struggled mightily. Doesn't help that they all have really anemic endowment funds, outside of Howard.
UK wasn't intimidated by Howard's massive endowment. 😁

Wow. Not good. I mean, Colorado's still probably a top 100 team. But, you can't lose to them at home the same week they lose to Grambling State.

I was hyping Tennessee up quite a bit, too. I think I had them #5 in my preseason poll.
Technically it was a "neutral site" (Nashville), but I didn't see a speck of black and gold in the seats. (You mean to tell me Colorado basketball fans don't travel? I am shocked! 😂) Still, that may make the difference between a Quad 2 loss and a Quad 3 loss come tourney time.

Most impressive stat to me, even though UT jacked 37 three-pointers they still managed to shoot 30 free throws too.

I still think UT has the potential to be a really good team. Maybe this was just a blip on the radar screen.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Arizona State (-12) lost to Texas Southern today. Pac 12 racked up some embarrassing losses in week 1. I'm assuming they won't want anything to do with the "Legacy Series" going forward.

USC lost to FGCU
Cal lost to UC-Davis
Colorado lost to Grambling State (HBCU)
Oregon lost to UC-Irvine
ASU lost to Texas Southern (HBCU)

Arizona State (-12) lost to Texas Southern today. Pac 12 racked up some embarrassing losses in week 1. I'm assuming they won't want anything to do with the "Legacy Series" going forward.

USC lost to FGCU
Cal lost to UC-Davis
Oregon lost to UC-Irvine

675466836.jpg.0.jpg

USC lost to FGCU
Cal lost to UC-Davis
Oregon lost to UC-Irvine

Good news for Colorado, their loss to Grambling State is no longer a bad loss. Jeff Goodman now has them as a top 25 team lmao.

Wish Barnes had painted those Buffs blue...

Someone must have flipped his calendar to March while he was asleep.

(i can’t remember if i made that joke already. I thought about it earlier. but i don’t think i posted it. last one i promise)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Also i’m gonna go head and say Zags is overrated. They don’t have the talent they’ve had the last several years. There’s no Holmgren, Suggs, Sabonis/Collins level talent on that team.

Their back court looks suspect to me as well.

I’m surprised goodman has Kentucky that low. He seems really high on us when he talks on Field of 68.

Flipping the spots for Kentucky and Gonzaga makes so much more sense. Kentucky is a force; Tshiebwe with A+ shooters in the corner? That's going to be tough to stop.

Zags have a lot of good players. But, they need a star guard. Or, at the bare minimum, a legit #2 guy who can be a Robin to Timme. Not sure they have that guy this year. Maybe Julian Strawther, but I'm not convinced.

Reactions: RipThru
Kentucky does have early hype but still have some concerns over their lineup and ability to shoot assuming Wheeler, Toppin and Tshiebwe play 30 min. Cason isn’t a shooter either. So we have to play Reeves and Fredrick to have any consistent threat to space the court. Logjam for minutes still isn’t reconciled

Someone must have flipped his calendar to March while he was asleep.

(i can’t remember if i made that joke already. I thought about it earlier. but i don’t think i posted it. last one i promise)
I can't wait till we kick your blue asses off the court again to kick off another Barnes/Cal debate.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Okay, but for reals, how dynamic of a player is KJ Simpson?! Someone told me he was going to break out this year (as in 1st Team All-Conference), but I balked.

I just watched the second half, already knowing who won, but Simpson is for real. That kid can play. Give me Simpson over anybody that plays for Tennessee.

Okay, but for reals, how dynamic of a player is KJ Simpson?! Someone told me he was going to break out this year (as in 1st Team All-Conference), but I balked.

I just watched the second half, already knowing who won, but Simpson is for real. That kid can play. Give me Simpson over anybody that plays for Tennessee.
Snapshots only tell a small part of a story. At the end of the year that would be a bad choice.

.Snapshots only tell a small part of a story. At the end of the year that would be a bad choice.

Oh, please. How many times have you watched KJ Simpson previously?

Tennessee has a better supporting cast. I would still take Tennessee over Colorado in a rematch. But for individual talent, no. Give me Simpson.

Oh, please. How many times have you watched KJ Simpson previously?

Tennessee has a better supporting cast. I would still take Tennessee over Colorado in a rematch. But for individual talent, no. Give me Simpson.
Great, we can circle back to this thread and see if Simpson out performed the individual Vols or not.

Great, we can circle back to this thread and see if Simpson out performed the individual Vols or not.

You didn't answer the question, which most likely means you've never seen KJ Simpson before. Which makes your answer even more hilarious about "snapshots."

You didn't answer the question, which most likely means you've never seen KJ Simpson before. Which makes your answer even more hilarious about "snapshots."
Yeah, he played against us last year and was held to single digits. So, was there a point to your question?

Yeah, he played against us last year and was held to single digits. So, was there a point to your question?

Yes. I'm asking if you've watched Simpson before. You're saying I shouldn't overhype him from a single contest. Okay, but this didn't come out of nowhere. He was a highly regarded recruit. Lots of people expected a breakout year from him. And I'm skeptical that you've ever seen him play outside of two games against UT. So, you're talking about snapshots - while not really examining the totality of his play. If you haven't watched him play a whole lot, you probably don't need to be talking about snapshots.

TCU lost to Northwestern State. Mike Miles wasn't playing. Regardless, you can't take an L like that.

And Minnesota lost to DePaul by 16 at home, which feels like a really bad loss.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT