ADVERTISEMENT

2021 SEC/Big 12 Challenge matchups

How do you expect the Noles to shape up this year, GE?

Probably a step back from last year but still competitive. A good, solid Sweet 16 type of club, although I suppose it’s possible for it all to come together if Scottie Barnes lives up to the hype and MJ Walker takes another step forward.

I wish we were still playing in the tourney with Tennessee. I enjoyed attending last year’s game and talking with Coach Barnes afterward.

Reactions: della
Florida at WVU looks to be the best game. Great back court against a great front court.

Oh dang that was one of the ones I was think would be blow out city. Thought it was a bottom 3 matchup.

I guess Florida could get blown out. I haven't kept up with them this off season but i thought they were supposed to be pretty good?

When Memphis went to the Final 4 they played Texas in the Regional Final in Houston.

I have family with deep connections to Memphis so I was winning either way but Calipari's team absolutely outclassed Texas and Rick Barnes in every way.

Calipari won when it really counted.

That's odd, since his winning percentage in the Big 12 was 66% and in the SEC it's 56%.

His first few seasons were rough, like every coach who takes over a program with little talent. Since then, he’s gone 13-5, 15-3 and .500 last year after being decimated by injuries. He’s poised to have arguably the best team in the league this year too.

As for the Big 12, he had players like Durant, Augustin, TJ Ford, Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, etc. Of course he won some games.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Barnes is defensively challenged

His best years is when he used his days in the Big East and brought in Royal Ivey from NY.

Ivey is one of the best defenders I have ever seen in the Big 12.

Sweet 16/Elite 8 is his peak at Tennessee

Barnes is defensively challenged

His best years is when he used his days in the Big East and brought in Royal Ivey from NY.

Ivey is one of the best defenders I have ever seen in the Big 12.

Sweet 16/Elite 8 is his peak at Tennessee
Elite 8 is the peak for Tennessee, period, and they've been there once in the program's history. 😆

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
When Memphis went to the Final 4 they played Texas in the Regional Final in Houston.

I have family with deep connections to Memphis so I was winning either way but Calipari's team absolutely outclassed Texas and Rick Barnes in every way.

Calipari won when it really counted.

I mean having Derrick Rose certainly helps right? We all know they were a missed FT AND a miracle/clutch three from chalmers away from wining it all, and had undoubtedly the best player in the nation and arguably the best team.

I’m no Rick Barnes or Tennessee fan, and by all ways of measuring/comparing it, Calipari has had a MUCH better career than Barnes.

Just not sure pointing out a game in which Calipari had a transcendent talent in Rose, on a great team (38-3 iirc) plus CDR and dozier/Dorsey (I think) verses Texas with DJ Augustine and Damion Jones and a young Pittman is the game to point to that proves it, just bc it was in the NcaaT.

Texas had a decent squad that year no doubt, 2 seed Elite 8, but had they won it would have most certainly been an upset. I mean I know they don’t play in a power 5 conference but still, 38 wins and the best player in the nation, they were a damn good team. Probly a made FT and a valid SAT score from being considered one of the best teams in the past 25 years if not all time. They were absolutely stacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: GE Nole
I mean having Derrick Rose certainly helps right? We all know they were a missed FT AND a miracle/clutch three from chalmers away from wining it all, and had undoubtedly the best player in the nation and arguably the best team.

That was one of the better teams to never win a championship.

Rick Barnes can raise the level of Tennessee.
But he won't be the one who wins a NC there.

He has brought energy back to Tennessee basketball. Good place for him.

He did the same at Clemson and Texas.
He took what Tom Penders did and raised it.

Yea it’s ridiculously hard to win a NC period. I think before wright and Bennett got one there were something like less than 10 active coaches in the nation that won a national championship as a HC coach in their career. (Might be even less I can’t remember the exact stat)

So I doubt Barnes ever gets there either, but people said the same thing about Calipari after that Memphis collapse and then he did it, same for UVA and bennet esp after the loss to umbc, ditto for Wright. So I guess you never know, but again Barnes would be way down the list of guys I think will win a natty before they retire.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Villanova is a physical basketball team.
Don't let their efficiency on offense fool you. At the core of Nova, like with most BE teams, there is a gritty hard nose basketball team.
As a Louisville fan you should know this about Villanova.

Barnes had this with his TJ Ford teams.
Then continued that with PJ Tucker.

But for the most part his teams at Texas like with Tennessee aren't able to turn it up on the defensive end when needed.

Unless you are putting an elite offensive team out there it is hard to advance in the NCAA Tournament

That is what happened against Purdue. Those guards from Purdue had way too much room.

Exactly.

Bruce and Cal have ripped that dude a new one the last 3-5 years
Do you even keep up with CBB? Y'all have a 5 game streak on us and that is impressive, but Rick won 3 straight before that. Barnes is ahead of Cal in the time frame you're speaking of.

olsonab, you're taking on some of the traits of your fellow Auburn fans.

Do you even keep up with CBB? Y'all have a 5 game streak on us and that is impressive, but Rick won 3 straight before that. Barnes is ahead of Cal in the time frame you're speaking of.

Bruce has owned Rick and UT the last 3-5 years, that’s a fact.

Rick’s a good coach, though...

It’s pretty clear that Auburn fans discovered basketball about two years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT