ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

It's good that they look at rule changes in general. I'd like to see the 3 pt line moved back somehow. That would completely change the game though.

I also like George Carlin's idea of putting landmines out there. Or was that football?

Ive mentioned it before but i want a 3pt dunk arc somewhere between the ft line and the block/charge semi circle. Just make it a semi circle just like the block charge one but if u jump from outside it and dunk or catch an oop its worth 3 points.

i jist cant even imagine the litany of highlights wed get of people constantly trying To hammer on people and succeeding or getting stuffed. Plus bring the big men back as the current landscape of 3s or layups is slowly leading to the death of the “traditional” big.

i realize it will never happen but it would make it so much fun.

i wish they woukd make the court wider so players arent stepping on the sideline when operating between the 3pt arc and sideline.

Also…KD Joe Harris Jarrett Allen and Caris LaVert would actually have a punchers chance at home vs the Bucks. Now? Not so much.
If harden was constantly getting hurt every single year, maybe youd have an argument. But he has been pretty durable up until this year imo.

And while that line-up MIGHT be able to beat the bucks, its pretty silly to insinuate theyd be better had they never traded for Harden. And i doubt that line-up would have been enough to win it all anyways, bc as mentioned KD doesnt really do much to elevate the players around him like harden and kyrie. You think joe harris leads the league in 3pt % with lavert and allen instead of Harden? I doubt it, no tellin how many wide open shots he got while the defense chased around the big 3.

And im not even a big harden fan, i thibk hes boring to watch and travels everytime he gets the ball, and I really like Laverts game and upside. But to act like they are on even remotely the same level is pretty silly imo. Granted the best ability is availablity, but out of their big 3, Harden is the least injury prone imo, and its not like GMs can predict when and where players get injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: duckboy33
Can’t wait for Clipps Jazz
I lasted till it was 30-13 and couldnt take anymore. Mitchell ahould have just rested his ankle and hope they can hold serve at home, but im afrad the clips have figured something out. Jazz need conley back badly.

Reactions: UL_1986
Anyone miss the 2-3-2 playoff format with home and homes?
I actually like it better like it is now. For one if the team with home court drops one of the first two at home, they may never make it back home.

On the flip side having to play games 6 and 7 on the road is pretty damned rough on the underdog. I get the better record shoukd get the benefits, but an extra game at home is the benefit. I think its much more “fair” for lack of a better word, the way it is now, alternating games 5/6/7 than having games 6 and 7 at the higher seeds home court

just my opinion.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If harden was constantly getting hurt every single year, maybe youd have an argument. But he has been pretty durable up until this year imo.

And while that line-up MIGHT be able to beat the bucks, its pretty silly to insinuate theyd be better had they never traded for Harden. And i doubt that line-up would have been enough to win it all anyways, bc as mentioned KD doesnt really do much to elevate the players around him like harden and kyrie. You think joe harris leads the league in 3pt % with lavert and allen instead of Harden? I doubt it, no tellin how many wide open shots he got while the defense chased around the big 3.

And im not even a big harden fan, i thibk hes boring to watch and travels everytime he gets the ball, and I really like Laverts game and upside. But to act like they are on even remotely the same level is pretty silly imo. Granted the best ability is availablity, but out of their big 3, Harden is the least injury prone imo, and its not like GMs can predict when and where players get injured.
Agreed. Harden made the Nets better and it’s silly to pretend we could have known he would hurt his hamstring or that kyrie would land on Giannis’ foot. Just bad luck for the Nets and good luck for the Bucks

Reactions: Villian07
Damn. That game was ugly last night. Embiid looked hampered last night. He probably needs another cortisone shot. I’m not sure when he is medically cleared for his next shot. He may have to suck it up for game 5 as well. Not too worried though. It took an 0-12 in the 2nd half from Embiid for the Hawks to eke out a must win at home. I don’t understand why they kept banging Embiid clear out on the left block when it was clear in the 3rd quarter that he wasn’t 100%. Last night was more the Sixers giving the game away than it was the Hawks beating them.

Damn. That game was ugly last night. Embiid looked hampered last night. He probably needs another cortisone shot. I’m not sure when he is medically cleared for his next shot. He may have to suck it up for game 5 as well. Not too worried though. It took an 0-12 in the 2nd half from Embiid for the Hawks to eke out a must win at home. I don’t understand why they kept banging Embiid clear out on the left block when it was clear in the 3rd quarter that he wasn’t 100%. Last night was more the Sixers giving the game away than it was the Hawks beating them.
76ers are the better team, easily. They’ve just given away two games

76ers are the better team, easily. They’ve just given away two games
Shitting the bed with the defensive game plan in game 1 is the big difference so far. If they take care of business there, when Embiid goes to the locker room in the first quarter, they can sit him instead of sending him back out there. Now they have another road trip, and less rest for Embiid. Also… I’m a mush. No more betting on the Sixers in playoff BBall anymore. I played them -3 and Embiid to be top scorer in the game. I single handedly produced Embiid’s worst game of the season haha

Agreed. Harden made the Nets better and it’s silly to pretend we could have known he would hurt his hamstring or that kyrie would land on Giannis’ foot. Just bad luck for the Nets and good luck for the Bucks

While Harden has historically been durable, he’s got a ton of tread on the tires. And the last few years he’s been showing some chinks in the durability armor. I wouldn’t have predicted he’d miss this many games at the start of the year, but once hamstrings become an issue they usually stay an issue.

Kyrie is a totally different story. Some bodies just don’t hold up to the rigor of the league. His is one of them. In his career he has more years with fewer than 60 games played than he does years with 70+.

Is landing on a foot a fluke? Sure, even if it does happen somewhat frequently. But one way or another, the track record tells us that Kyrie was gonna get hurt.

While Harden has historically been durable, he’s got a ton of tread on the tires. And the last few years he’s been showing some chinks in the durability armor. I wouldn’t have predicted he’d miss this many games at the start of the year, but once hamstrings become an issue they usually stay an issue.

Kyrie is a totally different story. Some bodies just don’t hold up to the rigor of the league. His is one of them. In his career he has more years with fewer than 60 games played than he does years with 70+.

Is landing on a foot a fluke? Sure, even if it does happen somewhat frequently. But one way or another, the track record tells us that Kyrie was gonna get hurt.
couple of things to point out here. Irving's feet issues goes back to Duke's curse on feet issues.

two.

210113-james-harden.png

just throwing those out there.

Reactions: GE Nole
Did not know Harden was letting himself go. He'll need to address that or he'll continue having problems. What's his injury right now, is it a hamstring or something else?

Did not know Harden was letting himself go. He'll need to address that or he'll continue having problems. What's his injury right now, is it a hamstring or something else?

Hamstring. Which is very common when athletes stop working out their core.

Phoenix must be feeling good right about now. They will be well rested for the WCF. Every other series is 2-2 right now.

Also, I like the Nets to win tonight, even without Kyrie and Harden. I think Nash knew exactly what he was doing with his "borderline non basketball physical" comments. I bet KD gets a great whistle tonight and scores 40+

As Frank and Scali said this morning, this is a joke. Also said how impressive it was that Trae is having such a massive impact on the playoffs that they are having meetings about changing the rule. Gonna have to start calling his Trae Abdul JaYoung.

Good luck putting in a rule that makes it illegal for Trae to get by a guy and then stop on a dime and raise up for a jumper. Good luck even writing a rule that somehow makes that illegal.

On the other hand, how about putting a rule that punishes floppers? Guys who barely or don't get touched and then fall to the ground like they were shot by a sniper? Like the 285 pound center in Philly who is easily the biggest flopper in the league. Strongest player in the league yet if you stand next to him he hits the deck like his legs just got cut off.

As Frank and Scali said this morning, this is a joke. Also said how impressive it was that Trae is having such a massive impact on the playoffs that they are having meetings about changing the rule. Gonna have to start calling his Trae Abdul JaYoung.

Good luck putting in a rule that makes it illegal for Trae to get by a guy and then stop on a dime and raise up for a jumper. Good luck even writing a rule that somehow makes that illegal.

On the other hand, how about putting a rule that punishes floppers? Guys who barely or don't get touched and then fall to the ground like they were shot by a sniper? Like the 285 pound center in Philly who is easily the biggest flopper in the league. Strongest player in the league yet if you stand next to him he hits the deck like his legs just got cut off.
giphy-6.gif

Agree about Harden but Kyries injury was a total fluke and could have happened to anyone playing the game. It’s not like he had a reoccurring injury. Landing on someone’s foot is the epitome of a random injury

Agree about Harden but Kyries injury was a total fluke and could have happened to anyone playing the game. It’s not like he had a reoccurring injury. Landing on someone’s foot is the epitome of a random injury

It's weird, it's random but also very common. When I was playing hoops every day 6x per week back in the day I just accepted that a couple times per year I was gonna turn an ankle. Sucked cause it was always about a 6 week injury till I was 100% (with zero training staff working on it).

It's weird, it's random but also very common. When I was playing hoops every day 6x per week back in the day I just accepted that a couple times per year I was gonna turn an ankle. Sucked cause it was always about a 6 week injury till I was 100% (with zero training staff working on it).

Oh yeah, they are common and they can keep you out for a while. My point is that being “durable” isn’t gonna help you against a random injury like that.

Yes it’s random. But some guys style of play and body type makes it more likely than others. A guy like Jokic or Shaq probably isn’t gonna land on too many feet. But someone like Kyrie who’s game is built on navigating through the forest of trees and hitting contested jumpers…it’s more common.

On top of that, some guys have bodies that can bounce back quickly. Sure they might land on a foot but either their tendons are such that it doesn’t result in a major injury, or they just heal quickly.

Kyrie doesn’t have a track record of being that type of guy.

Yes it’s random. But some guys style of play and body type makes it more likely than others. A guy like Jokic or Shaq probably isn’t gonna land on too many feet. But someone like Kyrie who’s game is built on navigating through the forest of trees and hitting contested jumpers…it’s more common.

On top of that, some guys have bodies that can bounce back quickly. Sure they might land on a foot but either their tendons are such that it doesn’t result in a major injury, or they just heal quickly.

Kyrie doesn’t have a track record of being that type of guy.
We will see how long Kyrie is out. Very few guys would be able to bounce back 48 hours later, if any at all

We will see how long Kyrie is out. Very few guys would be able to bounce back 48 hours later, if any at all

With the way it rolled, I agree. Not all guys would have it roll like that though.

Here’s the point: some guys just miss more games than others because of a combination of playing style, body type, and previous injuries that lead to longer healing for future injuries. It’s just a fact. They can be random occurrences like landing on a foot or they can be chronic issues like knee, back or hamstrings.

But the reality is the same—some guys are simply more prone to missing games. Kyrie is one of those guys.

With the way it rolled, I agree. Not all guys would have it roll like that though.

Here’s the point: some guys just miss more games than others because of a combination of playing style, body type, and previous injuries that lead to longer healing for future injuries. It’s just a fact. They can be random occurrences like landing on a foot or they can be chronic issues like knee, back or hamstrings.

But the reality is the same—some guys are simply more prone to missing games. Kyrie is one of those guys.
That may be true but the nature of that injury is obviously very random and has little to do with a player’s durability. This is a poor example for the point you’re trying to make

That may be true but the nature of that injury is obviously very random and has little to do with a player’s durability. This is a poor example for the point you’re trying to make

We can agree to disagree. That’s fine.

And Kyrie will continue to get hurt each year.

Reactions: duckboy33
ADVERTISEMENT