ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NBA Draft: Seven decisions to watch for underclassmen deciding to stay in or withdraw

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...nderclassmen-deciding-to-stay-in-or-withdraw/

1. Tyrell Terry, Stanford
The Cardinal are already trending up after notching their first 20-win season in a half-decade in 2019-20, and Terry's return would take them up a notch, vaulting them in my estimation into pole position to win the Pac-12. The 6-foot-2 guard is an incredibly versatile shot-maker with deep range and boundless impact who could make that happen. Terry may not be a known commodity after an under-the-radar freshman campaign, but he's potentially one of the Pac-12's best talents should he return, regardless of position. Which would be quite an accomplishment on a team that's welcoming in five-star freshman Ziaire Williams. The potential of those two teaming up could formulate one of Stanford's best young duos it has ever had.

2. Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
Brad Underwood's best and brightest Illini team came last season when Ayo Dosunmu and Kofi Cockburn were teaming up as one of the Big Ten's most impactful young duos. But seeing those two again in 2020-21 may be a long shot ... at least right now. Dosunmu said this week he's "pretty much 100% focused on staying into the draft," and that he "expects to be on an NBA team next year." He followed that up, though, by saying, "There's always that little percent when I left (open to return) because I haven't signed with an agent yet." So yes, Illini nation, I'm telling you there's a chance. Just don't hold your breath.

3 and 4. Jared Butler and MaCio Teague, Baylor
On a Baylor team that didn't lose a game last season between Nov. 15 and Feb. 18, Butler and Teague were options No. 1 and 2 on offense, averaging a combined 29.9 points per game. So, you can imagine Scott Drew would be thrilled to see them give it another go. Returning to Baylor would also strengthen an already-deep Big 12 in which the Bears would still be the frontrunner not just to win the conference but also, perhaps, to win the whole thing. If they both continue on their current trajectory we could be talking about two top-15 players in the sport -- and two of the best in the conference -- teaming up for a title run. Hold on to your butts, Baylor fans. Perhaps that magical season cut short by the pandemic can repeat itself, only on a more complete scale.

5. Isaiah Joe, Arkansas
A knee injury and subsequent surgery cut Isaiah Joe's season short and capped what was an otherwise disappointing sophomore season after a phenomenal freshman campaign. But having him back at full strength for the Razorbacks -- a team that's firmly inside Gary Parrish's Top 25 (and 1) for next season -- could go down as Eric Musselman's biggest recruiting win to date. And Joe could benefit from it, too. He was regarded as an elite knockdown shooter before last season's toll, so elevating his status back to that and pushing his way to the draft would do his stock well.

6. John Petty Jr., Alabama
Smart bettors are googly-eyed at Alabama this offseason, and with good reason. The Tide are enrolling a potential first-round talent in Josh Primo and will get Herbert Jones back after he tested the waters. Petty is a knockdown shooter who made 44% of his 3-pointers last season and ranks among the best in the country as a rebounding guard. Should he return I think Nate Oats in his second season has a real shot to take the SEC.

7. Trendon Watford, LSU
A former five-star recruit, Watford was an impactful freshman for LSU but didn't quite dominate like a five-star recruit, averaging 13.6 points and 7.2 rebounds on a true shooting percentage of 54.9%. Nonetheless, he's right on the fence of a stay-or-go decision -- stay in college and improve to be a college star and potential first-rounder, or go and hope to work into guaranteed money early in the second round? It's a pickle. If he stays, LSU's got to be considered top-five material in the SEC. If he goes, he could be one of many vying for a spot in the early 30s of this draft with his size and skill level.

6. John Petty Jr., Alabama
Smart bettors are googly-eyed at Alabama this offseason, and with good reason. The Tide are enrolling a potential first-round talent in Josh Primo and will get Herbert Jones back after he tested the waters. Petty is a knockdown shooter who made 44% of his 3-pointers last season and ranks among the best in the country as a rebounding guard. Should he return I think Nate Oats in his second season has a real shot to take the SEC.

Lol.

Thinking John Petty will make or break a conference title run for a school that has won the SEC once in the last 30 years is a take.

Alot of people have Tyrell Terry as a first round pick so it will be interesting if he returns. That Stanford team could be top 10 if he comes back.

Reactions: duckboy33
Improve your reading skills. It says underclassmen.
Garza is a underclassmen as a JR with the option of coming back

Garza should have been the 1st named posted. its you that needs to read the article.

Read the bolded part again, but slowly.
did and it clearly states UNDERCLASSMEN and again Garza has a JR is a UNDERCLASSMAN
in this case Underclassmen are those from their FR year till their JR year.

Yea sorry but underclassman= freshmen and sophomores

UPPERCLASSMEN = jr and sr
a SR has no option of returning
A JR has the option of returning in this case Garza is the difference between a possible high seed With out him a mid seed.

like it or not he is still a underclassman in reguards to returning to play college BB

Yea sorry but underclassman= freshmen and sophomores

UPPERCLASSMEN = jr and sr
You might like to check NBA’s definition since they are who we are talking about. Miriam Webster didn’t play basketball.

Why would the nba have a definition. They aren’t limited to four years of eligibility.

Lol.

Thinking John Petty will make or break a conference title run for a school that has won the SEC once in the last 30 years is a take.
You fella's really take it personal when someone else is picked to win the SEC, don't ya?Laughing

You fella's really take it personal when someone else is picked to win the SEC, don't ya?Laughing

When it’s objectively stupid, sure. I assume you’ve seen John Petty play?

Dude averages 30 minutes a game for 3 years on a team with a losing conference record every single year he’s been there.

The last game he played before making his pro decision, he played 34 minutes and went 0-5 in a 20 point blowout loss to under .500 Missouri.

Improve your reading skills. It says underclassmen.
While I would consider underclassmen as FR and SO and upperclassmen as JR and SR, I think this list includes anyone with eligibility left. There are other seniors-to-be on this list; Macio Teague and John Petty.

Reactions: MGC_07
While I would consider underclassmen as FR and SO and upperclassmen as JR and SR, I think this list includes anyone with eligibility left. There are other seniors-to-be on this list; Macio Teague and John Petty.
My bad, but if so, why the hell aren’t Xavier Tillman and Luka Garza on this list. Garza would be the best player in the country and Tillman would certainly be top 10.

Yea my bad as well, I wasn’t aware any of those guys were seniors to be. Makes dudes list pretty dumb by not having the National POY runner up on there. I just assumed all the guys listed were fr-soph

Reactions: MGC_07
This is a no brainer for all these guys. College is going to be a complete shit show next year. Anyone who has the chance to get paid to stay away from that shit show should hop on that opportunity without thinking twice.

ADVERTISEMENT