ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 College Basketball Draft, FINAL STANDINGS

God 2nd pick is rough. Garza is the easy 1st choice, but I could go Butler, Dosunmu, Zegarowski, Hauser, Cunningham.

DD, remind me how much the tournament matters in all this, last year was my first year and there was no March Madness. Is it advantageous to take players who will play in March or deep into the tourney. Just asking because I am leaning towards Cade at number 2.

Here are the top performers from the first two seasons. If you're wanting a top performer, 100% go for someone who who think will be an All-American. DeAndre Ayton was the second highest performer in season one, and his team lost in the 1st Round. The advantage for longer postseason runs is there are more opportunities to pick up win shares. An All-American level player can pickup maybe 0.25 win shares per game. So, four wins could amount to 1 total point. Many think Cunningham will be an All-American, which would be 9 points. It's very possible that the other 1st Team All-Americans will garner more points, but who exactly would be a 1st Teamer?

2018-Draft-Standings.jpg

2019draft-top-performers.jpg

This still open?

Hey Jimbo, you can get in, but respond quickly. 1st pick has already been taken. WojoRising has requested the last pick of the 1st Round, so you can slide in at pick #8 if you'd like.

I’m debating between Butler, Cunningham, and Zegarowski. I think Cade could be special but no March Madness and OSU will be the worst team out of these 3. Butler was an all American last year. Zegarowski averaged a very efficient 16 a game last year and now he’ll be the first option.

Give me an hour. I’ll figure it out by then.

God 2nd pick is rough. Garza is the easy 1st choice, but I could go Butler, Dosunmu, Zegarowski, Hauser, Cunningham.

DD, remind me how much the tournament matters in all this, last year was my first year and there was no March Madness. Is it advantageous to take players who will play in March or deep into the tourney. Just asking because I am leaning towards Cade at number 2.

If you’re guy is gonna be an all American anyway, the tourney may not matter. But the tourney can be helpful for some, as all tourney team is worth the same as conference POY.

Exact reason I opted out lol. And my team sucked last year lol.

Exact reason I opted out lol. And my team sucked last year lol.

You also drafted two All-Americans. GE Nole is the only one that had 2+ All-Americans last year. So, not a complete failure.

I think your biggest fault may have been that you drafted 3 players from Kentucky. Teammates are competing with each other for postseason awards. That inherently limits your ceiling. imajericho picked 3 guys from UNC and he finished last. His error was more obvious, however, because 3 of his top 5 picks were UNC guys.

Still time to jump in, if you'd like another go at it.

However, I believe if a conference has 4 teams in the KenPom top 50, they should be granted the full amount of points. If they have 4 teams in the top 100, I'll only deduct 1 point (i.e. 4 points for CPOY, 3 points for 1st Team All-Conference). I believe the Atlantic 10 could be very, very good this season. I don't believe they should start with a -2 for every player. Also, be aware the Pac-12 and SEC don't delineate all-conference awards in a typical 5 players for each team format. Pac-12 has 10 on the first team; SEC has 8. With the scoring system, we will make a clear distinction of who is awarded with 1st Team Points and 2nd Team Points.

I just want to reemphasize this point I made in my initial post. Don't want any surprises. 1st Team All-Conference was previously 4 points for the Power 6 conferences, and 2 points for all other conferences. I felt a little unsure about that when I look at a conference like the American Athletic. Not quite a power conference, but consistently better than just about every mid-major. So, if they have 4 teams in the KenPom top 50, I'll allow them to have the full 4 points. If they have 4 teams in the top 100, then they'll be awarded 3 points for being 1st team All-Conference. The numbers in 2020 would have looked like this:

1st Team All-Conference Points:
4 Points- ACC, Big East, Big XII, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC
3 Points- AAC, MWC, WCC, Atlantic 10
2 Points- Remaining 22 conferences

I think this is fair and reasonable. Conferences like the AAC and Atlantic 10 are clearly a notch above a typical mid-major, but not quite at the level of a power conference. My guess is the numbers will be the same this year, although I wouldn't be surprised if the WCC only receives 2 points as Saint Mary's lost a lot of talent, and San Francisco is kind of a fringe top 100 team.

right, I'm bad at this every year but that doesn't stop me. Who cares, it's just for fun and some light trash talking.

Selecting Obi Toppin in the 8th Round is, without question, the best pick anyone has ever made in 3+ years of this draft. And you finished 5th out of 12 teams last season, so not too shabby.

But yes, to your point, this is just for kicks and giggles. We're seeing who can scout/analyze the best possible talent. It's mostly a crapshoot. Anything can happen. Always fun to look back at the draft results and see the busts... and absolute steals.

Question for @dukedevilz , in recent years how many 1 and dones from non tournament teams have made an All American team?. Has anyone besides Ben Simmons done it?

Not sure Cade Cunningham is such a good pick based on that history.

Being ineligible for the tourney is way different than the team sucking and not making the tourney.

And honestly, I wouldn’t be shocked if Okie Light’s ban was overturned, especially if Cade is a huge name and playing really well.

Question for @dukedevilz , in recent years how many 1 and dones from non tournament teams have made an All American team?. Has anyone besides Ben Simmons done it?

Not sure Cade Cunningham is such a good pick based on that history.

Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz... Okie State could still win 20 games, and Cunningham could still be NPOY. Not sure how things will turn out, but I do suspect he'll be the most productive freshman.

Torn between 3 players...

I'll take my chances with Sam Hauser. I realize UVAs slow tempo will hurt his numbers, but I also know UVA is desperate for guys that can shoot and score, and Hauser does exactly that.

@hailtoyourvictor where'd you go? Don't slide too far. Also, @boilerzz feel free to draft at any time?

Torn between 3 players...

I'll take my chances with Sam Hauser. I realize UVAs slow tempo will hurt his numbers, but I also know UVA is desperate for guys that can shoot and score, and Hauser does exactly that.

@hailtoyourvictor where'd you go? Don't slide too far. Also, @boilerzz feel free to draft at any time?

Sam is a high floor pick who still has a solid ceiling. Can certainly do worse than lock in a known commodity in the first round.

I also was torn very much between 3 players. It was quite hard to pick to be honest. Partially because I expected Cade to be gone before pick 5 (which turned into 4).

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT