ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 College Basketball Draft, FINAL STANDINGS

Probably today, to be honest. Been doing some last minute editing on my rankings.

I just spoke with Ham this morning. My three biggest takeaways:

1. The biggest shoes to fill on the team will be late game execution and “Coach on the floor” ability of Trent Forrest, at least early on in the season. And that’s kind of a crazy statement considering we are losing two lottery picks.

2. He’s really excited about the versatility and potential of his roster.

3. He’s really excited about MJ Walker.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I just spoke with Ham this morning. My three biggest takeaways:

1. The biggest shoes to fill on the team will be late game execution and “Coach on the floor” ability of Trent Forrest, at least early on in the season. And that’s kind of a crazy statement considering we are losing two lottery picks.

2. He’s really excited about the versatility and potential of his roster.

3. He’s really excited about MJ Walker.

I'll just say I have FSU slightly higher than KenPom. But, I also know FSU's depth helps them win a lot of those close games - and those close wins inevitably hurt their efficiency margins.

I'll just say I have FSU slightly higher than KenPom. But, I also know FSU's depth helps them win a lot of those close games - and those close wins inevitably hurt their efficiency margins.

I think that’s very fair. We have definitely had non-con games in the past against scrubs where Ham plays all 13 guys in the first 10-15 minutes of the game to build the functional depth. As you say, the result is a closer margin of victory than the computers expect, but also easier to replace guys later in the season when there are injuries, foul trouble, etc.

So, does anyone want to post their 10-man JV team? I don't want to be greedy, so I'll let others have first crack at it. I'll probably post mine tomorrow.

You have a problem. Winking

giphy.gif

ESPN+/Jay Bilas said "Olivier Sarr as one of the most underrated and under-appreciated players in America today.

Maybe a good back up plan if you have to substitute.

*iirc didn't even make honorable mention of @dukedevilz list. Maybe I missed him.

Here's my JV squad. I have a feeling they won't finish last. If they do, I'll gladly change my avatar pic, for the period of two months, to whomever wins the league.

Quade Green, Washington
Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
Isaiah Stevens, Colorado State
Matt Mitchell, San Diego State
Douglas Wilson, South Dakota State
Tyon Grant-Foster, Kansas
Javion Hamlet, North Texas
Jhivvan Jackson, UTSA
Matt Bradley, California
Kendric Davis, SMU

Here's my JV squad. I have a feeling they won't finish last. If they do, I'll gladly change my avatar pic, for the period of two months, to whomever wins the league.

Quade Green, Washington
Jhivvan Jackson, UTSA
Matt Bradley, California
Kendric Davis, SMU
I think David McCormack should be on their somewhere. I think he has a shot to be very nice for Kansas, I know some around their program are high on him.

I think David McCormack should be on their somewhere. I think he has a shot to be very nice for Kansas, I know some around their program are high on him.

Yeah, thought about him, too. Kansas does a great job at feeding the ball to the bigs. I had him ranked in my top 150 somewhere. But, hard to justify two KU players on my JV team.

Reactions: MGC_07
@JimboBBN Justice Sueing had 19 points on 8-9 shooting, to go along with 8 rebounds and 3 steals. Did that in only 21 minutes of action. Thinking he'll be Ohio State's top guy. He could be a steal.

Quade Green, Washington
Jhivvan Jackson, UTSA
Matt Bradley, California
Kendric Davis, SMU

Not sure who I’d take off but I’d have MJ Walker on there. He seems like a solid bet for at least 3rd team all ACC and he’s a good candidate for an all tourney team.

I had 1 of my guys play yesterday. It seems like almost every single one of their games got canceled. Sucks, but what are you gonna do.

In my way way way way too early takes, Timme doesn’t look like a reach and Jalen Johnson is a beast, glad I took him.

In my way way way way too early takes, Timme doesn’t look like a reach and Jalen Johnson is a beast, glad I took him.
Yep, Timme has the 2nd best KPOY rating on his team, which is pretty good. :)

Yep, Timme has the 2nd best KPOY rating on his team is pretty good. :)
I mean he is averaging 27/8 against 2 solid opponents. He’s going to wreck the WCC.

Hopefully he keeps it up though. The Zags are just so stacked.

I mean he is averaging 27/8 against 2 solid opponents. He’s going to wreck the WCC.

Hopefully he keeps it up though. The Zags are just so stacked.
I know. I was joking when implying about my taking of Jalen Suggs, who has been ridiculously good so far too. Suggs is averaging 18, 4 and 7 assists and is shooting 63% from the floor.

I know. I was joking when implying about my taking of Jalen Suggs, who has been ridiculously good so far too. Suggs is averaging 18, 4 and 7 assists and is shooting 63% from the floor.
Well you, @dukedevilz with Corey Kispert, and I will all be competing for that coveted Gonzaga All American spot, although there very well may be 2 this year.

Well you, @dukedevilz with Corey Kispert, and I will all be competing for that coveted Gonzaga All American spot, although there very well may be 2 this year.

I could easily see one each on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd teams.

I'm thinking Gonzaga gets 2 All-Americans at this point. 3 is possible, and not unprecedented, but they could probably only lose one game to pull that off. Duke did have 3 All-Americans in 2002. Williams was 1st Team, Dunleavy was 2nd team, and Boozer was 3rd Team.

I honestly don't know who's going to to be the most valuable Zag at this point. They've got a heckuva trio.

Jalen Johnson is a machine. I tell everyone he's Ben Simmons lite. Just gotta work on that outside jumper. You have three legitimate 1st Team All-American candidates on your team.

I'm thinking Gonzaga gets 2 All-Americans at this point. 3 is possible, and not unprecedented, but they could probably only lose one game to pull that off. Duke did have 3 All-Americans in 2002. Williams was 1st Team, Dunleavy was 2nd team, and Boozer was 3rd Team.

I honestly don't know who's going to to be the most valuable Zag at this point. They've got a heckuva trio.
I know they've got a gauntlet of a schedule but I only see Baylor as a possible loss. I just don't think Iowa has enough and WVU looks pedestrian early. Tennessee game has been cancelled.

I know they've got a gauntlet of a schedule but I only see Baylor as a possible loss. I just don't think Iowa has enough and WVU looks pedestrian early. Tennessee game has been cancelled.

It's hard to say after only two games, but this Gonzaga looks very elite. I don't want to say they're better than the 2017 team simply because that team had unbelievable interior defense. But, they've got the potential to have a very, very special season.

Baylor could definitely beat them. Garza will be a fun matchup, but you wonder how their guards will be able to stay in front of the Zags and adequately defend them. West Virginia has nice bigs, but the guard play is often lacking. They'll have some tests for sure, even a few in the WCC, but it's hard to imagine them losing more than two games. With how dominant they look, I really think 2 All-Americans is a safe beat for the Zags. Excited to track their progress during the season.

Not sure who I’d take off but I’d have MJ Walker on there. He seems like a solid bet for at least 3rd team all ACC and he’s a good candidate for an all tourney team.

Tyon Grant-Foster is 100% the guy I shouldn't have taken. Yikes. I just wondered about Agbaji's ability to transition into a star + Garrett not being a big-time scorer; it seemed like the opportunity would present itself for a very good #3 option from KU. Jalen Wilson was the guy I needed. He looked amazing last night. Grant-Foster was the #1 JUCO recruit, and I heard a lot of good things about him. Obviously cracking KU's lineup isn't easy. Very, very impressed with Jalen Wilson.

I don’t think Gonzaga is this unbeatable team far away from the pack with or without Suggs.

Damn, I passed on Timme for Huff. That one could come back to bite me, although Huff has played well in his own right.

On the plus side, my freshman are all doing well for the most part... Caleh Love, Josh Christopher, Zaire Williams have all played well. Scottie Barnes had 8/6 last night in his debut.

I don’t think Gonzaga is this unbeatable team far away from the pack with or without Suggs.

Definitely not unbeatable. Defense looks very suspect at times. But, wow, can they get on a run in a hurry. Gonzaga and Baylor both look the part for being the top two teams in the country. Should be a good one on Saturday.

F-burgers. My 6th Round Pick, Will Richardson, was going to a stud this year. Huge blow. 6 weeks puts his return in the middle of January. I fully expected to him to be a 15/5/5 type of guy.

Definitely not unbeatable. Defense looks very suspect at times. But, wow, can they get on a run in a hurry. Gonzaga and Baylor both look the part for being the top two teams in the country. Should be a good one on Saturday.
I would agree, I think there is a gap between those 2 and whoever is number 3. Whoever wins Saturday I think should still stay number 2.

I would agree, I think there is a gap between those 2 and whoever is number 3. Whoever wins Saturday I think should still stay number 2.

Absolutely, yes. Head and shoulders above the rest of the field, at this point. Not sure KenPom's number should be overly valued with such a small sample size, but the efficiency margins between #2 Baylor and #3 Villanova is just as big as it is between #3 Villanova and #14 Virginia.

Agree, unless one of them just gets bitch slapped, which would stun me.

F-burgers. My 6th Round Pick, Will Richardson, was going to a stud this year. Huge blow. 6 weeks puts his return in the middle of January. I fully expected to him to be a 15/5/5 type of guy.

Tough blow for sure.

When is the deadline for culling our team? Some of my players haven’t even played yet. Can we get until mid January maybe?

Tough blow for sure.

When is the deadline for culling our team? Some of my players haven’t even played yet. Can we get until mid January maybe?

The deadline will and should be later this season, no question. I'm thinking the middle of January, possible even the end of January.

Reactions: GE Nole
Damn, I passed on Timme for Huff. That one could come back to bite me, although Huff has played well in his own right.

On the plus side, my freshman are all doing well for the most part... Caleh Love, Josh Christensen, Zaire Williams

On the plus side, my freshman are all doing well for the most part... Caleh Love, Josh Christensen, Zaire Williams
You can say that again.

Reactions: sgrooms
My gut instinct with my first round pick was Ayo Dosunmu. Then I talked myself out of it, and took Sam Hauser. Still too early to tell how things will turn out, but yeah, Dosunmu has one of the highest ceilings in the country. Here are the way too early national leaders in Win Shares:

Win Shares
1.Ayo Dosunmu Illinois1.3
2.Alex Barcello BYU1.1
3.Michael Flowers South Alabama1.0
4.Trendon Watford LSU1.0
5.Carlik Jones Louisville1.0
6.Kendric Davis SMU0.9
7.Marvin Nesbitt UMKC0.9
8.Jaylen Sims UNC Wilmington0.9
9.Mike Bothwell Furman0.9
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier0.9

My gut instinct with my first round pick was Ayo Dosunmu. Then I talked myself out of it, and took Sam Hauser. Still too early to tell how things will turn out, but yeah, Dosunmu has one of the highest ceilings in the country. Here are the way too early national leaders in Win Shares:

Win Shares
1.Ayo Dosunmu Illinois1.3
2.Alex Barcello BYU1.1
3.Michael Flowers South Alabama1.0
4.Trendon Watford LSU1.0
5.Carlik Jones Louisville1.0
6.Kendric Davis SMU0.9
7.Marvin Nesbitt UMKC0.9
8.Jaylen Sims UNC Wilmington0.9
9.Mike Bothwell Furman0.9
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier0.9

Dosunmu is someone I talked myself out of too. Hoping Cade comes through but Dosunmu sure has started off hot.

ADVERTISEMENT