ADVERTISEMENT

2019 offseason OT thread.

Where at?

I just went to Maui last month. It was incredible

Traverse City. My wife's family is from Michigan, and we were going back every other Christmas, which is a horrible time of the year there. So I told her I would go back every Summer to never go for Christmas again. Now we head up to Old Mission or Sutton's Bay for a week during the 4th.

Awesome, what part of Maui did you stay in? I was there in November for the Maui InvitationaI. I want a vacation house in Dana Point, my wife wants Maui.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
What stands out about Hawaii vs the southern Caribbean islands? Would love to go one day, just doesn't seem economically logical from my location.

You don't get as much humidity. No real hurricanes. But most importantly, you can bike down a volcano.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
You don't get as much humidity. No real hurricanes. But most importantly, you can bike down a volcano.
I imagine the volcanoes are awesome and the forrests. We go in the winter, no hurricanes and perfect weather. We did Belize this year. Wasn't as warm as we like it and it was dreary a few days. Looking into Bonaire for next year.

What stands out about Hawaii vs the southern Caribbean islands? Would love to go one day, just doesn't seem economically logical from my location.

I've been to the Cayman Islands, Playa Del Carmen, Cabo San Lucas. Cabo not really Caribbean though. Cayman was very nice, and the water was super clear - but other than that it was kind of boring. The highest point of the island is what, 10ft above sea level?

Maui was just perfect. Weather was mid-70's to low 80's every day. Nice breeze, not sticky humid. Water was awesome - colors, temperature, soft sand beaches but almost every beach has a reef / rocks to snorkel. Wherever you are you can see the mountains which look like they're out of Jurassic Park. We saw literally hundreds of humpback whales, even directly from our balcony every morning. Then you have the more jungle / hiking stuff, like along the Road to Hana. Food was incredible too; Mahi, snapper, ono, ahi poke

I think Maui just felt way safer too. You're not stuck at your resort, everyone speaks English, you can eat/drink wherever without fear of shitting your brains out, etc.

Traverse City. My wife's family is from Michigan, and we were going back every other Christmas, which is a horrible time of the year there. So I told her I would go back every Summer to never go for Christmas again. Now we head up to Old Mission or Sutton's Bay for a week during the 4th.

Awesome, what part of Maui did you stay in? I was there in November for the Maui InvitationaI. I want a vacation house in Dana Point, my wife wants Maui.

We stayed between Lahaina and Napili. VRBO condo that was a perfect spot for us to use as a base camp and hit the different spots on the island.

How was the Maui Invitational? MSU is there this year so we are considering going back, but the packages through MSU are kind of a rip off for what you get. It'd be cheaper to fly and find a place to stay on your own, but then I'm not sure what ticket availability is like.

I am uncivilized. Natural gas grill from my lazy old ass.

Same here. Charcoal might be better tasting and what not, but I'm not trying to do all that every night.

We grill dinner almost every night. Turn on the grill, prepare the meat / veggies while it warms up, toss it on the grill and when its done - turn it off. Clean up is a breeze.

I imagine the volcanoes are awesome and the forrests. We go in the winter, no hurricanes and perfect weather. We did Belize this year. Wasn't as warm as we like it and it was dreary a few days. Looking into Bonaire for next year.

I'm thinking about going to Honduras this winter. How cold did Belize get?

How was the Maui Invitational? MSU is there this year so we are considering going back, but the packages through MSU are kind of a rip off for what you get. It'd be cheaper to fly and find a place to stay on your own, but then I'm not sure what ticket availability is like.

It was great. Tickets were extremely hard to come by this year (mostly because of Zion), but that's usually not the case. You're right that booster packages can be a rip off. But, I would still try to stay at the team's hotel if you can. There's also a Coaches Banquet you can go to the night before the tournament. It's not something I'd go to more than once, but I think its worth going to your first time.

We might be going back this year since my wife went to MSU. We try to attend at least one Duke and one MSU game every year. The PK80 two years ago was perfect.

60's in the morning mid 70's in the afternoon. But that was in the winter.

Roatan is beautiful. Been there on a cruise.

That's where we'd be staying. A close friend has a lot of family there, and he goes back every other NYE. Been trying to get us to go for a decade, and this might be the year.

It was great. Tickets were extremely hard to come by this year (mostly because of Zion), but that's usually not the case. You're right that booster packages can be a rip off. But, I would still try to stay at the team's hotel if you can. There's also a Coaches Banquet you can go to the night before the tournament. It's not something I'd go to more than once, but I think its worth going to your first time.

We might be going back this year since my wife went to MSU. We try to attend at least one Duke and one MSU game every year. The PK80 two years ago was perfect.

Are tickets available outside of Booster packages?

Why do you recommend staying at the team hotel? More activities or just so you're surrounded by fans?

Huge fan of Traverse City. Fun place and golf is second to none.

For most of us, colder weather is behind us and everything is returning to green. The CBB season is behind all of us.

What are some things you'll be doing this summer?

Outside of our typical summer weekends at the beach, we have a couple of trips planned. In May, we'll be going to Carowinds and to the NASCAR all star race. Not sure how we got talked into going to a NASCAR race, but that is the first of two we will be attending. In September we will be going to the Richmond race. While in Virginia, we are going to spend a couple of days at Bush Gardens. In between, we will be in Philadelphia for a couple of days and in Baltimore for at least 3 days. Will probably go see the Orioles lose a game or two. That will be sometime in July.

These threads usually do well for everyone to stop in and say what's up to everyone. And that is so because we typically keep controversial conversations to their own threads. So let's please keep it that way.

Lots of golf this summer. Gonna try and get decent. Headed to Wilmington tomorrow through Sunday for a wedding, fishing, and relaxing. Rented a house on Kure. No real big trips as of yet. May try to do Europe in the fall. Gonna spend a lot of time in the pool and work in the yard.

I am going to be lazy and just put a quote box from that thread.

Are you a charcoal guy? If so, I left details out. You put the charcoal all the way to one side of the grill and put the butt on the opposite side. Never over direct heat. Also, you will need to put in at least one more round of charcoal, so having a grill top with a flap helps.

A lot of people like using the picnic shoulder, I prefer the Boston butt. Both are good, I just find it easier to dry out the picpic than the butt.
You got to try and do a traditional smoke. Get a big green egg if you really like grilling. So many applications.
yfIFfrZ.jpg

VzBavvB.jpg

I9IA3YM.jpg

nOqFd1V.jpg

Only two more weeks until summer vacation for me.

I am teaching a 3-week online class in May and a 5-week online class starting in July. Those classes help supplement my income even though I spread my salary over 12 months instead of 9 already. Other than that, I have no teaching obligations. I'll be doing some research and writing over the summer but the best part about my job is that I can do these things from anywhere.

I have definite trips to NC and Vegas. I am also looking into a trip to Europe in June. My aunt lives in Barcelona and wants me to come visit. She said we'd probably hit up Portugal and Morocco too. Other possible trips to Seattle, Ontario, Savannah, and NYC as well.

I plan on working out daily, playing a lot of golf, and spending as much time at the beach as possible. Obvious drinking and ****ing is obvious.

Barcelona is pretty amazing. The women will make it hard to leave. Try and get a job teaching grad school in Europe. I believe lots of grad schools teach in English. At least business schools do.

We have a vacation property in Traverse that we AirBnb when we’re not there. Love it up there. The lakes are amazing to see in person.
UYT6g4D.jpg

Lots of golf this summer. Gonna try and get decent. Headed to Wilmington tomorrow through Sunday for a wedding, fishing, and relaxing. Rented a house on Kure. No real big trips as of yet. May try to do Europe in the fall. Gonna spend a lot of time in the pool and work in the yard.

You got to try and do a traditional smoke. Get a big green egg if you really like grilling. So many applications.
yfIFfrZ.jpg

VzBavvB.jpg

I9IA3YM.jpg

nOqFd1V.jpg

Barcelona is pretty amazing. The women will make it hard to leave. Try and get a job teaching grad school in Europe. I believe lots of grad schools teach in English. At least business schools do.

We have a vacation property in Traverse that we AirBnb when we’re not there. Love it up there. The lakes are amazing to see in person.
UYT6g4D.jpg
Will look into the big green egg. Don't know anyone that has one. I have seen you and some other main boarders talk about it.

Picked a good week to come to Wilmington. Mid and upper 80's and sunny. You can come watch some hearings with me. Courtroom 312. Got some real winners going in front of the judge Thursday and Friday.

Reactions: Sevro
Will look into the big green egg. Don't know anyone that has one. I have seen you and some other main boarders talk about it.

Picked a good week to come to Wilmington. Mid and upper 80's and sunny. You can come watch some hearings with me. Courtroom 312. Got some real winners going in front of the judge Thursday and Friday.

They are expensive but built to last. Get the XL and never look back. Smoked turkey on thanksgiving from the egg is ridiculously good and pretty easy.

I’ll be fishing all day Thursday and day drinking on Friday. Perhaps next time I can make it to the new Hanover courtroom

Get well soon.

I had my appendix removed in 1975. It was a four day hospital stay back in the old days.
They caught it relatively early, so it wasn’t too inflamed. I wasn't going to go to the hospital but my wife who’s a nurse convinced me we needed too when she was trying to talk to me about vacation plans and I couldn’t even focus on the conversation. We got an ultrasound Sunday night on it and got it out Monday morning.

Don’t remember most of yesterday. Just got home, but Im barely moving.

They caught it relatively early, so it wasn’t too inflamed. I wasn't going to go to the hospital but my wife who’s a nurse convinced me we needed too when she was trying to talk to me about vacation plans and I couldn’t even focus on the conversation. We got an ultrasound Sunday night on it and got it out Monday morning.

Don’t remember most of yesterday. Just got home, but Im barely moving.
The problems with men is we have our "stupid" male ego. We are tough guys! Hospitals and doctors are for the wimps!

Women were given to us by the gods as voices of reason. :)

Last edited:
Got selected for postseason baseball.

Then got my hand broke in a God &*&^ HS game. Well,just a small fracture. But I cannot work the pate for 2 weeks; One more week to go. Tourney(conference) started today.

Oh, well. Should work the Semi-State this year in HS(Final Four).

Looks good.

I can’t believe how much Wilmington has changed. The whole area south of downtown has been ripe for development but was left untouched for years. You’ve got a got damn river and 10’s of thousands of boat owners.
Yeah, river road is nuts. People are struggling to find a place to dump their bodies now that it has been developed. Downtown has changed a lot too. The marina is beautiful with incredible yachts in and out of it.

Yeah, river road is nuts. People are struggling to find a place to dump their bodies now that it has been developed. Downtown has changed a lot too. The marina is beautiful with incredible yachts in and out of it.
I’ll give it a look today.

ADVERTISEMENT