ADVERTISEMENT

2019 offseason OT thread.

LetsGoDuke301

Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Team
Duke
For most of us, colder weather is behind us and everything is returning to green. The CBB season is behind all of us.

What are some things you'll be doing this summer?

Outside of our typical summer weekends at the beach, we have a couple of trips planned. In May, we'll be going to Carowinds and to the NASCAR all star race. Not sure how we got talked into going to a NASCAR race, but that is the first of two we will be attending. In September we will be going to the Richmond race. While in Virginia, we are going to spend a couple of days at Bush Gardens. In between, we will be in Philadelphia for a couple of days and in Baltimore for at least 3 days. Will probably go see the Orioles lose a game or two. That will be sometime in July.

These threads usually do well for everyone to stop in and say what's up to everyone. And that is so because we typically keep controversial conversations to their own threads. So let's please keep it that way.

Reactions: SNU0821 and jhmossy
Started my new job March 1st.

Been to two brewers games.

Got opening night tickets to Infinity War.

Going to see some live podcast about murders that my wife is infatuated next month.

Going to Boston in July for a week.

Golf league starts next Tuesday.

Someone got me a Weber Q200 for a wedding gift. I didn’t really use it last summer because we were in the process of moving. I used it the last two days and the burgers were so damn good. Going to get addicted to cooking on that thing.
Grilling is where it's at. About 80% of our meals are cooked on the grill. I prefer charcoal myself.

We'll spend most of June in San Diego. 4th of July in Northern Michigan. I'm sure we'll end up in Hawaii sometime this Summer, since my wife really wants a babymoon. It'll also be the first Summer in our new backyard, so I see lots of grilling and BBQs.

Spring is busy with activities: Skyfort II playhouse built for my 3 yr old, rented a sod cutter and replaced parts of my lawn, get the pool ready for summer, spring landscaping, Bahamas in a week. I rarely don't have anything to do. Favorite time of year is when its starts to get hot.

. Not sure how we got talked into going to a NASCAR race, but that is the first of two we will be attending.

As a person who doesnt really watch it since being forced to as a kid...NASCAR is a lot more enjoyable in person than on TV. Only went a handful of times myself, but you shouldn't hate it. You definitely appreciate it more in person.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
As a person who doesnt really watch it since being forced to as a kid...NASCAR is a lot more enjoyable in person than on TV. Only went a handful of times myself, but you shouldn't hate it. You definitely appreciate it more in person.
It should be fun. A good friend of ours is a sales rep for an up and coming company that is a sponsor for one of the teams. She gets any ticket she asks for to most races. There will be 8 of us at each race and none of us know anything about NASCAR.

Nothing much planned yet here. All of the big stuff for the year has already happened (wedding/honeymoon). I think we’ll do a weekend trip to Ruidoso, NM and down to Terlingua, TX. Also looking at visiting NYC or Charleston, SC in the fall but nothing is scheduled. Lots of work in between all of that though!

@LetsGoDuke301 can you post your pulled pork recipe again? I meant to save it but forgot. It looked good and @sgrooms seemed to like the results. That’s good enough for me to want to give it a shot.
I am going to be lazy and just put a quote box from that thread.

I like to cook a Boston butt on the Weber grill (charcoal and wood chunks) for about 4 1/2hrs or until you can pull the bone out with a finger and a thumb.

Before I cook it, I coat it with slap ya mama.

sym_cajunseasoning-400px_grande.png

The I pull it apart with some bear claws.

bear-paws-meat-claws-pulled-pork-shredder.jpg

And I am not too partial to a particular barbecue sauce necessary, we switch it up. But I like Georges hot barbecue sauce best I think.

GUEST_bd72f6b9-993b-4867-80fa-88ab252f60e9

Are you a charcoal guy? If so, I left details out. You put the charcoal all the way to one side of the grill and put the butt on the opposite side. Never over direct heat. Also, you will need to put in at least one more round of charcoal, so having a grill top with a flap helps.

A lot of people like using the picnic shoulder, I prefer the Boston butt. Both are good, I just find it easier to dry out the picpic than the butt.

Only two more weeks until summer vacation for me.

I am teaching a 3-week online class in May and a 5-week online class starting in July. Those classes help supplement my income even though I spread my salary over 12 months instead of 9 already. Other than that, I have no teaching obligations. I'll be doing some research and writing over the summer but the best part about my job is that I can do these things from anywhere.

I have definite trips to NC and Vegas. I am also looking into a trip to Europe in June. My aunt lives in Barcelona and wants me to come visit. She said we'd probably hit up Portugal and Morocco too. Other possible trips to Seattle, Ontario, Savannah, and NYC as well.

I plan on working out daily, playing a lot of golf, and spending as much time at the beach as possible. Obvious drinking and ****ing is obvious.

I am going to be lazy and just put a quote box from that thread.

Are you a charcoal guy? If so, I left details out. You put the charcoal all the way to one side of the grill and put the butt on the opposite side. Never over direct heat. Also, you will need to put in at least one more round of charcoal, so having a grill top with a flap helps.

A lot of people like using the picnic shoulder, I prefer the Boston butt. Both are good, I just find it easier to dry out the picpic than the butt.
I actually just got a Weber charcoal grill so that's why I asked about it. You've been pimping charcoal for a long time on this board. Haha.

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a shot one of these weekends coming up.

I actually just got a Weber charcoal grill so that's why I asked about it. You've been pimping charcoal for a long time on this board. Haha.

Thanks buddy. I'll give it a shot one of these weekends coming up.
Get you one of these.
51cmUIUTC5L._SX425_.jpg

No lighter fluid ever needed. Just a balled up piece of newspaper.

Started my new job March 1st.

Been to two brewers games.

Got opening night tickets to Infinity War.

Going to see some live podcast about murders that my wife is infatuated next month.

Going to Boston in July for a week.

Golf league starts next Tuesday.

*end game

Reactions: HRTheCard
@LetsGoDuke301 can you post your pulled pork recipe again? I meant to save it but forgot. It looked good and @sgrooms seemed to like the results. That’s good enough for me to want to give it a shot.

I've also made it two more times since then. The last time we made it, we bought an extra 4 lbs and used it all week. Put it in our eggs for breakfast and made tacos with it for lunch. Now I'm hungry.

Reactions: schoonerwest
College baseball season is winding down....I have my final conference series this weekend at Cumberland University. Then conference tournament. HS season just getting going. Buying a new home in about a month,or so. Went fishing for the first time on Sunday----caught one god $%$% fish. Was surprised really. Threw a 4" green pumpkin craw----Got a few good whacks----one fish. THought with a front coming in, warming water temps, that bass would be on. Nope.
Attending Mike Eades D1 camp in June. Looking to get back to where I was. After that, off to a baseball camp in July. Then gonna take two weeks, and visit my mother in Utah. In between and after----Just some camping and fishing.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
@LetsGoDuke301 this is my setup. How do I make sure this doesn't tip or blow away in a storm? Apparently storing propane in the garage is a big no-no.

BCF_365498-00_hi-res.jpg
Right now in my garage. Two full 5 gallon gas container. One give or take half of a 5 gallon gas container. A full 5 gallon propane tank. 2 1/2 gallons of two stroke. Living on the edge.

No, I'm wondering the best way to store things. I could bring the grill inside but what would I do with this guy I have attached to it:

0fce0c2a-ad85-4806-b450-3e7e56b028d4_1.444aca19eb30e50043a5fc32011d8842.jpeg
We detached them, and put them on our back patio; shaded in the summer. Or, we place entire grill, under the carport. I screwed two brackets into the house, about 8 feet apart, then ran a bungee cord through them, and around the bottom of the grill.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Right now in my garage. Two full 5 gallon gas container. One give or take half of a 5 gallon gas container. A full 5 gallon propane tank. 2 1/2 gallons of two stroke. Living on the edge.

So two 1lb propane canisters on a shelf in the garage wouldn't worry you?

Come do that for me
5-x-U-design-screws-bracket-stainless-steel-ceiling-light-hook-silver.jpg_640x640.jpg

Place two or three of these on your walls....About a foot off the ground. Then run a bungee cord around base of grill; hooking then ends. Put your grill on carpet to add some stability. Also will keep your tanks cooler in the summer; warmer in the winter.

5-x-U-design-screws-bracket-stainless-steel-ceiling-light-hook-silver.jpg_640x640.jpg

Place two or three of these on your walls....About a foot off the ground. Then run a bungee cord around base of grill; hooking then ends. Put your grill on carpet to add some stability. Also will keep your tanks cooler in the summer; warmer in the winter.

What are those called

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT