ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 College Basketball Draft (Updated Standings)

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
To make it easier to track, here are the complete rosters for the 12 teams.

basketballdraft-teams.jpg

basketballdraft-teams1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright everyone, we now have 12 posters. Draft is now locked.

@boilerzz you have the first pick. You can start now or whenever. Once you're on the clock, you have 24 hours to make your selection. If you don't make a pick within 24 hours, you can be skipped. Feel free to send a list of your top available players if you feel you may be away for an extended period of time.

Here are links to top 100 players:

Making The Madness Top 100

Three Man Weave

My Top 150 on Rivals

And as a reminder, here is the scoring:

Win Shares + postseason Awards. Here is the point system for awards:

10 points- National Player of the Year (AP for All-American Teams)
9 points- 1st Team All-American
8 points- 2nd Team All-American
7 points- 3rd Team All-American; NABC Defensive POY
6 points- Honorable Mention All-American; Final Four MOP
5 points- Conference Player of the Year; All Tournament Team
4 points- 1st Team All-Conference; Conference Defensive POY; NCAA Regional MOP
3 points- 2nd Team All-Conference; All Regional Team
2 points- 3rd Team All-Conference; All-Conference Defense; Conference Tournament MOP
1 point- Honorable Mention All-Conference; All Tournament Team

Players that aren't in a Power-6 Conference (and the American Athletic) will have a lower point total for conference awards:
3 points- Conference POY
2 points- 1st Team All-Conference
1 point- 2nd Team All-Conference

*The postseason awards is not a tiered system. Zion Williamson only received 10 points for being NPOY last year. Good luck!

Last edited:
Is it positional? Do we have to take a player at each position?

Is it positional? Do we have to take a player at each position?

No position requirements. I think I normally try to balance my rosters out, just because I like that. But, I can recall one poster having 4-5 point guards.

Alright, we got one more poster. And it's @AuHoosier420

@boilerzz You're off the hook (most likely) for having to root for Cassius Winston. New draft order is updated. One more spot left if anyone wants to take it. But please let me know before the 1st Round is complete.

1st Round
1. AuHoosier420
2. @boilerzz
3. dukedevilz
4. @GE Nole
5. @hailtoyourvictor
6. @imajericho
7. @jace4655555
8. @jwill133
9. @klize17
10. @MGC_07
11. @sdsufan10
12. @WeAreDePaul

2nd Round
13. WeAreDePaul
14. sdsufan10
15. MGC_07
16. klize17
17. jwill133
18. jace4655555
19. imajericho
20. hailtoyourvictor
21. GE Nole
22. dukedevilz
23. boilerzz
24. AuHoosier420

Last edited:
Alright, we got one more poster. And it's @AuHoosier420

@boilerzz You're off the hook (most likely) for having to root for Cassius Winston. New draft order is updated. One more spot left if anyone wants to take it. But please let me know before the 1st Round is complete.

1st Round
1. AuHoosier420
2. @boilerzz
3. dukedevilz
4. @GE Nole
5. @hailtoyourvictor
6. @imajericho
7. @jace4655555
8. @jwill133
9. @klize17
10. @MGC_07
11. @WeAreDePaul

2nd Round
12. WeAreDePaul
13. MGC_07
14. klize17
15. jwill133
16. jace4655555
17. imajericho
18. hailtoyourvictor
19. GE Nole
20. dukedevilz
21. boilerzz
22. AuHoosier420

So I have make my pick by tomorrow morning?

So I have make my pick by tomorrow morning?

You didn't know the draft was starting right away. And you expressed interest just this very day. We can pause the clock if you want some clarity. Just let me know. Otherwise, the clock would start at about the time you responded (7:35 PM Eastern). And you'd have 24 hours to make your pick before boilerzz could potentially draft before you. Let me know if you have any questions on how this works.

Let's make your pick official if he doesn't respond before noon tomorrow. If I end up selecting before him, I think we could possibly drop @AuHoosier420 to the last pick in the 1st round. That'll give him some time to catch his bearings - and he could take picks 12 and 13.

Alright. I'd say it's time to move forward. I'll take Markus Howard.

1. boilerzz- Cassius Winston, Michigan State
2. dukedevilz- Markus Howard, Marquette

@GE Nole is on the clock. @AuHoosier420 you can take the last pick of the 1st round (12) and the first pick of the second round (13).

Reactions: MGC_07
He big are our rosters going to be? Deeper the better IMO.

10 rounds. Lock in on 8 players for scoring. You can have until January 1st to set your lineup. One of your picks might be a terrible bust. Odds are there will be a few injuries from our drafted players. This helps mitigate those misfortunes. We used to say, "Well, guess you're just SOL." In the draft two years ago Michael Porter and Bonzie Colson went 1-2 in the first round. Those teams didn't stand a chance after both star-players sustained significant injuries.

and @imajericho is on the clock.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
10 rounds. Lock in on 8 players for scoring. You can have until January 1st to set your lineup. One of your picks might be a terrible bust. Odds are there will be a few injuries from our drafted players. This helps mitigate those misfortunes. We used to say, "Well, guess you're just SOL." In the draft two years ago Michael Porter and Bonzie Colson went 1-2 in the first round. Those teams didn't stand a chance after both star-players sustained significant injuries.

and @imajericho is on the clock.

I like.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Can you all try to remember to tag the next poster after you've selected your pick? I think that should expedite the draft process a little bit.

@jace4655555 is on the clock.

everyone take their time. I feel like I need a couple weeks to get up to speed on college basketball.

Also, anyone got a Win shares for dummies explanation?

everyone take their time. I feel like I need a couple weeks to get up to speed on college basketball.

Also, anyone got a Win shares for dummies explanation?

Win Shares is designed to show how much overall success a player brings to his team. It's a metric that estimates how many wins a player produces for his team throughout the season. Here's one write-up that I found on the subject:

Through a complex formula it credits offensive win shares by calculating a player's marginal points from his points produced and offensive possessions and dividing it by the marginal points per win.

Defensive win shares are credited by computing a player's marginal defense from his defensive rating and dividing it by the marginal points per win.

Simply add offensive and defensive win shares together to get total win shares. You can find the entire mathematical process laid out in painstaking detail here.

Essentially, win shares measure a player's value based on wins. Splitting them into offensive and defensive win shares is important because it values both halves of the game equally.

I wouldn't be overly caught up in trying to understand the nitty gritty details of Win Shares. The more efficient a player is and the better the team he plays for - the more likely he's going to have a higher number of Win Shares. Honestly, I would try focusing on which players you think will make the All-American teams or 1st/2nd Team All-Conference.

Generally speaking, there's not a huge difference in Win Shares, as long as the players being compared played a similar amount of games. Take UVA, for example, last season's national champions. They had a 3-headed monster in Hunter, Jerome, and Guy. Their respective WS totals were 7.3, 7.2, and 6.8. Hunter and Guy were 3rd Team All-American. Jerome was 2nd Team All-Conference. Their total points from last season would be as followed:

Hunter: 7.3 + 7 = 14.3
Guy: 6.8 + 7 = 13.8
Jerome: 7.2 + 3 = 10.2 (2nd Team All-Conference)

Jerome was a little behind his teammates in the rankings. I'm including postseason points for making the All Tournament Teams this year, however. So Jerome's 2020 score would be 7.2 + 5 = 12.2 ... Still not quite up to Hunter and Guy. I'd say go for the players you think are more likely to receive higher postseason accolades. Sometimes you'll see a player leapfrog others because of significantly higher WS (Brandon Clarke and Chris Clemons, for example). But that is more the exception than the rule. Win Shares is probably more significant when comparing players that didn't receive any postseason accolades.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
@WeAreDePaul Here are the scores from the 15 All-Americans last year.

2019-Draft-All-Americans.jpg

Most of the All-Americans are between 6-8 Win Shares. A few above/below that threshold, but I think that range is pretty typical for All-American numbers. Brandon Clarke made the most of the Win Shares. Even though he was 3rd Team All-American, he was the 5th most valuable player in this scoring system.

so I should wait till the later rounds before I go on a run of DePaul players?

Paul Reed has very good advanced statistics, to be honest. Max Strus was 2nd Team All-Conference last year, right? So if Reed could get 3 points from 2nd Team All Big East + another 5-6 from Win Shares, that might be a decent late round pick-up. If DePaul can win 20+ games, then Reed would have a great shot at being a 1st Teamer. That's when you could argue he'd be a worth a pick somewhere in the 51-100 range. I think it depends on how good you think DePaul will be.

Edit: Upon further review, anyone who is a 1st Team All-Conference performer absolutely deserves to be a top 50 pick. We're only giving 4 points for players from power conferences. So with only 7 conferences, yes, a 1st Team All-Conference player should be in the top 50. So if you think Reed is worth 1st Team, then I'd say maybe round 4 or so. If you think he's a 2nd Team All-Conference player then I wouldn't consider him until maybe round 7 or 8.

You can still pick guys from mid-majors, of course. But they come with a much lower reward opportunity.

Last edited:
Win Shares is designed to show how much overall success a player brings to his team. It's a metric that estimates how many wins a player produces for his team throughout the season. Here's one write-up that I found on the subject:

Through a complex formula it credits offensive win shares by calculating a player's marginal points from his points produced and offensive possessions and dividing it by the marginal points per win.

Defensive win shares are credited by computing a player's marginal defense from his defensive rating and dividing it by the marginal points per win.

Simply add offensive and defensive win shares together to get total win shares. You can find the entire mathematical process laid out in painstaking detail here.

Essentially, win shares measure a player's value based on wins. Splitting them into offensive and defensive win shares is important because it values both halves of the game equally.

I wouldn't be overly caught up in trying to understand the nitty gritty details of Win Shares. The more efficient a player is and the better the team he plays for - the more likely he's going to have a higher number of Win Shares. Honestly, I would try focusing on which players you think will make the All-American teams or 1st/2nd Team All-Conference.

Generally speaking, there's not a huge difference in Win Shares, as long as the players being compared played a similar amount of games. Take UVA, for example, last season's national champions. They had a 3-headed monster in Hunter, Jerome, and Guy. Their respective WS totals were 7.3, 7.2, and 6.8. Hunter and Guy were 3rd Team All-American. Jerome was 2nd Team All-Conference. Their total points from last season would be as followed:

Hunter: 7.3 + 7 = 14.3
Guy: 6.8 + 7 = 13.8
Jerome: 7.2 + 3 = 10.2 (2nd Team All-Conference)

Jerome was a little behind his teammates in the rankings. I'm including postseason points for making the All Tournament Teams this year, however. So Jerome's 2020 score would be 7.2 + 5 = 12.2 ... Still not quite up to Hunter and Guy. I'd say go for the players you think are more likely to receive higher postseason accolades. Sometimes you'll see a player leapfrog others because of significantly higher WS (Brandon Clarke and Chris Clemons, for example). But that is more the exception than the rule. Win Shares is probably more significant when comparing players that didn't receive any postseason accolades.

So this year does a player get both the all American points and the Regional MOP points? Or just one?

So this year does a player get both the all American points and the Regional MOP points? Or just one?

Postseason points is not a tiered system. Someone like DiVencenzo would benefit for being FF MOP. But, Kyle Guy who already had 7 points for being 3rd Team All-American, does not receive anymore points for being FF MOP. I believe extra points like that would be inflating the scores. It would ultimately give an unfair advantage to the team that had player who scored on 3-4 different categories. Take the highest score available and combine it with win shares.

Reactions: GE Nole
Admittedly, I'm a little concerned about taking a Kansas player in the 1st round....since you never know which player will be suspended for at least half a season.? So, assuming that the AAC is getting full points (?) I'll take James Wiseman.

Next @jwill133

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Admittedly, I'm a little concerned about taking a Kansas player in the 1st round....since you never know which player will be suspended for at least half a season.? So, assuming that the AAC is getting full points (?) I'll take James Wiseman.

Next @jwill133

Yep. AAC gets full points. I think there's too many good teams in that conference to label them as a mid-major.

KU fans, how is Dok’s health looking? Worth taking in the first round or too big of a risk?

KU fans, how is Dok’s health looking? Worth taking in the first round or too big of a risk?
I think he’s supposed to be healthy but he may only play 25 minutes a game with the front court being so deep. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see his minutes limited in games that KU wins big. There’s just no reason to play him when you’re up 20 with 10 minutes left considering he’s been injured every season he’s played so far. For what you guys are doing in this league I wouldn’t take him with a first round pick.

I think he’s supposed to be healthy but he may only play 25 minutes a game with the front court being so deep. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see his minutes limited in games that KU wins big. There’s just no reason to play him when you’re up 20 with 10 minutes left considering he’s been injured every season he’s played so far. For what you guys are doing in this league I wouldn’t take him with a first round pick.
Thanks

I’m going back an forth on Kerry Blackshear and Isaiah Stewart. Blackshear is proven and will play for a national title contender, but he also is playing in a new system and in a more difficult conference. Stewart will put up numbers, and he plays in a less difficult conference so getting awards will be better.

I’ll go Kerry Blackshear, I’m banking on Florida being very good and him being their best player.

@sdsufan10 is next

ADVERTISEMENT