Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Germany

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Went with Germany to get the repeat. Brazil will choke.

I'm siding with that myself. Not sure anyone can compete with Germany's midfield. And while Brazil is the Vegas favorite (pretty sure they're always the favorite), they haven't been overly impressive in each of the last 3 World Cups...

But I will concede that what Brazil did in the World Cup Qualifying was pretty remarkable. They lost the first qualifying game, but they went on an absolute terror in the final 17 matches (12 wins, 5 draws, 0 losses). They beat Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay by 3 goals. I don't know the historical context of their dominance, but I'd be surprised if any nation has ever won the South American Qualifying Group by 10 points like Brazil just did.

Reactions: klize17
I just have no interest in this thing since the US isn’t playing in it. Soccer is fun once every four years, when the Americans are in the World Cup. They have ruined it for me this year.

with the US out I'm just cheering for whoever is playing Mexico that day.

Hate Mexico

Reactions: GE Nole
I just have no interest in this thing since the US isn’t playing in it. Soccer is fun once every four years, when the Americans are in the World Cup. They have ruined it for me this year.

The good news is that shouldn't be a problem in 2022. I do think Pulisic has that "It" factor about him and he isn't going to let this team fail again. The youngins looked pretty good in the last two friendlies. US Soccer seems to be going away from the old finally. Obviously there will be some final send offs for the veterans, but I am not sure how much of a role we will see them play in the next World Cup Qualifying cycle.

You definitely will not have to worry about in 2026 with the US, Mexico and Canada hosting.

Reactions: dukedevilz
The good news is that shouldn't be a problem in 2022. I do think Pulisic has that "It" factor about him and he isn't going to let this team fail again. The youngins looked pretty good in the last two friendlies. US Soccer seems to be going away from the old finally. Obviously there will be some final send offs for the veterans, but I am not sure how much of a role we will see them play in the next World Cup Qualifying cycle.

You definitely will not have to worry about in 2026 with the US, Mexico and Canada hosting.

so does that mean a bunch of other Concacaf teams are gonna get screwed because 3 spots are already taken with US, MEX and CAN? I imagine the Costa Ricans of the world can't be too happy about this news.

Rooting for Belguim and Iceland.

so does that mean a bunch of other Concacaf teams are gonna get screwed because 3 spots are already taken with US, MEX and CAN? I imagine the Costa Ricans of the world can't be too happy about this news.

I believe they are increasing the number of teams in the world cup, therefore increaseing the number of entrants from each region.

Reactions: SNU0821

2026 is when the field expands to 48.

There is still a vote where we might see the increase happen in 2022.

Reactions: SNU0821
Spain were the favorites last time around as the supposedly unbeatable defending champs and they didn't make it through the group. Back to back champs is a very high standard to hold over a 4 year period, so Im not so quick to jump on the German bandwagon, although failing to advance from the group is not something I think will happen to them. I think Brazil comes back for redemption this time around, the emotional burden of playing at home with unachievable expectations is off of their shoulders, they are incredibly talented like every other Brazil team ever, and they have been killing world soccer ever since the 7-1 beatdown. I also think this is as good of a chance as ever for a new nation to take home the prize (Belgium, Portugal, Colombia). The only certainty is that like every World Cup, if your team is not from Europe or South America it has no chance to win it all.

From CONCACAF this is how I see it going down

Mexico - R16 exit again
Costa - R16 exit and again no respect for them
Panama - will not score a goal

Last edited:
Yep. 48 teams in 2026, which is far, far too many, IMO. I suppose the only benefit to this is you won't see many quality teams like the Netherlands, Chile, or Italy left out. The down side is you have to include more ho-hum teams like El Salvador, Uganda, and Iraq.

didn't know about the increase, thanks.

Any truth to the rumor I'm starting right now that in 2026 the tournament will expand by 8 teams who must meet in Dayton for 4 play-in games?

didn't know about the increase, thanks.

Any truth to the rumor I'm starting right now that in 2026 the tournament will expand by 8 teams who must meet in Dayton for 4 play-in games?

That actually would be funny and the most of the world would have no idea wtf is going on.

Yep. 48 teams in 2026, which is far, far too many, IMO. I suppose the only benefit to this is you won't see many quality teams like the Netherlands, Chile, or Italy left out. The down side is you have to include more ho-hum teams like El Salvador, Uganda, and Iraq.

Europe and South America get minimal increases while it seems the bulk of the increases are going to Asia, North America, and Africa. So we are going to routinely see the teams that USA handles with ease going against the Brazils and Germanys of the world on a massive stage, so stupid. The only benefit is more games which I wont complain about, but qualifying basically doesn't exist for the US any longer. If a side effect is we see a regional tournament with North and South America being apart of it with A teams since there is no longer stress about saving players for qualifying then I can warm up to it, otherwise its just a major watering down of the tournament.

Spain were the favorites last time around as the supposedly unbeatable defending champs and they didn't make it through the group.

The 2014 World Cup Favorites in order were: Brazil (3 to 1), Argentina (5 to 1), Germany (5 to 1), Spain (6 to 1)...

Generally speaking, the favorites are usually a country within the same hemisphere as the host nation. European nations tend to perform better in their own continent, and South American teams tend to play better in North/South America... Spain was in an unusually difficult group last WC with Chile and the Netherlands. But they definitely weren't the odds-on favorite to win the whole thing.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Europe and South America get minimal increases while it seems the bulk of the increases are going to Asia, North America, and Africa. So we are going to routinely see the teams that USA handles with ease going against the Brazils and Germanys of the world on a massive stage, so stupid. The only benefit is more games which I wont complain about, but qualifying basically doesn't exist for the US any longer. If a side effect is we see a regional tournament with North and South America being apart of it with A teams since there is no longer stress about saving players for qualifying then I can warm up to it, otherwise its just a major watering down of the tournament.

What's the breakdown in the allocation of the 16 new spots? Europe routinely has quality teams left out of the WC. Hate to see the quality of competition diluted a little bit with more African/Asian/CONCACF teams.

What's the breakdown in the allocation of the 16 new spots? Europe routinely has quality teams left out of the WC. Hate to see the quality of competition diluted a little bit with more African/Asian/CONCACF teams.

According to Wikipedia it will be

Europe - 16 (from 13)
South America - 6 (from 4.5)
North America - 6 (from 3.5)
Asia - 8 (from 4.5)
Africa - 9 (from 5)
Oceania - 1 (from 0.5)
Playoff - 2, so half spots will probably be awarded to Europe and South America along with sacrificial lambs from the other regions

But regardless, we will see a few of Jamaica, Trinidad, El Salvador and Guatemala in 2026 for sure

1. Germs / Brazilians / France
3. Spain
4. England / Portugal / Argentina

Dark horse: Belgium

I want to see Gabriel Jesus take over at least one game. Him and Mbappe will be fun to watch. Pretty difficult to divide Brazil / Germany / France. Not a huge believer in Spain due to lack of speed.

According to Wikipedia it will be

Europe - 16 (from 13)
South America - 6 (from 4.5)
North America - 6 (from 3.5)
Asia - 8 (from 4.5)
Africa - 9 (from 5)
Oceania - 1 (from 0.5)
Playoff - 2, so half spots will probably be awarded to Europe and South America along with sacrificial lambs from the other regions

But regardless, we will see a few of Jamaica, Trinidad, El Salvador and Guatemala in 2026 for sure

Wow. FIFA is trying too hard to be fair and equal. Huge disservice for Europe.

Went with Germany to get the repeat. Brazil will choke.

I agree on selling the two S American powers. No Dani Alves is a blow to Brazil and I don't necessarily trust the rest of their team outside Neymar.

Similar to Argentina. Argentina's defense is not as good as it has been in recent years and the overall roster around Messi isn't one of Argentinas strongest either.

Now Messi and Neymar are about the best strikers in the world...but I would bet heavily on Germany or Spain. I think this is the World Cup that 'La Roja' re-emerges on the world stage. De Gea is also a top 3 goalie in the WC.

1. Germs / Brazilians / France
3. Spain
4. England / Portugal / Argentina

Dark horse: Belgium

Belgium isn't a 'dark horse' at all.

I've seen them around the 5th or 6th best odds to win the World Cup.

Uruguay or England would be more of a 'dark horse' pick...so would Croatia.

I'm actually super high on Uruguay...their back line is great and they have Suarez and Cavanni to score up front.

Whats the play here? Draw?

Saudia Arabia WIN +907
Russia WIN -226
DRAW +342

+907 is juicy.

Russia being favored that much screams dumb money from the emotional home fans. I know I know, the host nation has never lost an opener and only once failed to advance from the group, but Russia is possibly the worst host ever and overwhelming pressure to magically become good may be too much for them. Its not that Russia cant or shouldn't win, but -226 for a team who hasn't won a game in about a year seems insane. The draw seems like the best risk/reward play, or buying 1.5 goals for Saudi Arabia (-158)

Russia being favored that much screams dumb money from the emotional home fans. I know I know, the host nation has never lost an opener and only once failed to advance from the group, but Russia is possibly the worst host ever and overwhelming pressure to magically become good may be too much for them. Its not that Russia cant or shouldn't win, but -226 for a team who hasn't won a game in about a year seems insane. The draw seems like the best risk/reward play, or buying 1.5 goals for Saudi Arabia (-158)

I don’t think Saudi Arabia is any good, either. The draw is probably the best bang for your buck.

Belgium isn't a 'dark horse' at all.

I've seen them around the 5th or 6th best odds to win the World Cup.

Uruguay or England would be more of a 'dark horse' pick...so would Croatia.

I'm actually super high on Uruguay...their back line is great and they have Suarez and Cavanni to score up front.

That's fair.

Actually.. just looking at Belgium's roster forgot how loaded they are. I'm still demoting them for not including Nainggolan. Because Nainggolan is a bad ass

Last edited:
Potential host cities for 2026. Damn, nothing in Arkansas :(

35145373_10156100499218941_7688441233110204416_n.png

Potential host cities for 2026. Damn, nothing in Arkansas :(

35145373_10156100499218941_7688441233110204416_n.png

I really wanted to see Cincinnati get a spot then I looked at potential ticket prices. Yikes.

I don’t think Saudi Arabia is any good, either. The draw is probably the best bang for your buck.

What do you guys think about these bets for the first 4 games?

1. Draw between Saudi Arabia and Russia (+347)
2. Uruguay ML (-158) and Uruguay -1 (+121)
3. Morocco ML (+123)
4. Spain-Portugal Under 2 Goals (+107) and Draw (+228)

What do you guys think about these bets for the first 4 games?

1. Draw between Saudi Arabia and Russia (+347)
2. Uruguay ML (-158) and Uruguay -1 (+121)
3. Morocco ML (+123)
4. Spain-Portugal Under 2 Goals (+107) and Draw (+228)

Idk about Morocco, like I just don’t kmow anything about them. I like the draw for Spain-Portugal, but not sure it stays under 2. All of my predictions are bound to go wrong though

Yeah I bet. Really surprised that Chicago isn’t listed.

The Midwest gets fvked up over again. No Chicago or Detroit???

I believe Chicago were one of the cities that declined to make a bid due to issues with FIFA.

Actually here you go: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-world-cup-2026-20180613-story.html

Some dummy said:
Matthew McGrath, a spokesman for Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, said in March: “FIFA could not provide a basic level of certainty on some major unknowns that put our city and taxpayers at risk. The uncertainty for taxpayers, coupled with FIFA's inflexibility and unwillingness to negotiate, were clear indications that further pursuit of the bid wasn't in Chicago's best interests.”

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT