ADVERTISEMENT

1st Round Upset Predictions

They allow almost 60% from 2pt, and we have Kofi Cockburn. I just don't see why people think that's going to happen. Could happen, but it's a weird prediction.
I'm not betting my supply of dark chocolate on any of this.

I am sure the favored team in each game will have evidence to support why they will win.

I found this on google.

"An upset occurs in a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports, when the party popularly expected to win (the "favorite"), either loses to or draws/ties a game with an underdog whom the majority expects to lose, defying the conventional wisdom."

I think it's bananas that South Dakota State is shooting 44.9% from three as a team. Basically 45%. That's unbelievably efficient. That's got to be an NCAA record for team 3-point FG percentage. To put this in perspective, Colgate is 2nd in the nation at 40.3%. That's a MASSIVE gap. So yes, Providence is very, very vulnerable. SDSU just needs to space the floor well and find the open shooter.

Also, kind of feel like Vermont could take down Arkansas.

And honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of the 6 seeds lost. None of them look especially strong.

I think it's bananas that South Dakota State is shooting 44.9% from three as a team. Basically 45%. That's unbelievably efficient. That's got to be an NCAA record for team 3-point FG percentage. To put this in perspective, Colgate is 2nd in the nation at 40.3%. That's a MASSIVE gap. So yes, Providence is very, very vulnerable. SDSU just needs to space the floor well and find the open shooter.

And honestly wouldn't be surprised if all of the 6 seeds lost. None of them look especially strong.
I like Colorado State a lot, but Michigan State has some guys who are better than they've played.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Eh, I see Hogs Vermont being like Colagate Hogs last year IMO.

Not talking about you necessarily, but I think people have a tendency to talk themselves into upset picks by focusing on the areas in which the lower seed excels, while ignoring weaknesses. South Dakota St might have very good shooters and a strong offense (although what would those numbers look like in a power conference?), but their defense might be as bad as their offense is good.

Prairie View dropped 90 on them. 98 for Idaho. 102 for Oral Roberts. They routinely allowed 80-90+ vs weak teams. The best team they've played all year was Alabama and they gave up 104 and were blown out.

They have won a lot of games in a row, but in a really weak league.

Prairie View dropped 90 on them. 98 for Idaho. 102 for Oral Roberts. They routinely allowed 80-90+ vs weak teams. The best team they've played all year was Alabama and they gave up 104 and were blown out.

They have won a lot of games in a row, but in a

It's a fair point. What I will say, though, is mid-majors tend to play at a slower pace in March. The games with South Dakota State yield a lot more possessions than a typical game. And yes, the combo of a good offense and bad defense will certainly lead to more points, too.

A slower pace will help their cause. Which is pretty typical for mid-majors. They're not dumb. They know the more possessions you play, the less chance they have of winning. When you get in a tight game that's predicated upon good half court sets, an efficient offense is VERY dangerous. A good chunk of these 12 seeds and lower that win in the 1st Round have a top 50 offense.

Heres my list(note I do not consider 9 over 8 or 10 over 7 as upsets):

#13 Vermont over #4 Arkansas
#12 Indiana over #5 St. Mary's
#12 Richmond over #5 Iowa
#11 Michigan over #6 Colorado St
#11 Iowa St over #6 LSU

It's a fair point. What I will say, though, is mid-majors tend to play at a slower pace in March. The games with South Dakota State yield a lot more possessions than a typical game. And yes, the combo of a good offense and bad defense will certainly lead to more points, too.

A slower pace will help their cause. Which is pretty typical for mid-majors. They're not dumb. They know the more possessions you play, the less chance they have of winning. When you get in a tight game that's predicated upon good half court sets, an efficient offense is VERY dangerous. A good chunk of these 12 seeds and lower that win in the 1st Round have a top 50 offense.
A slow pace is exactly what the Friars want. The Jackrabbits better shoot lights out from three to have a chance, which could certainly happen.

S. Dakota St over Providence
Loyola over tOSU
Longwood over TN
Chattanooga over Illini
there are #12s beat #5s in the tourney every year. So I'm picking
#12 Wyoming/Indiana over #5 St. Mary.
#12 N. Mexico St. over #5 Uconn.
#12 Richmond over #5 Iowa.

New Mexico State had made the tournament 9 times since 2007 and haven't won. There have been some very close games though. Hoping this is the year that they break through.

New Mexico State had made the tournament 9 times since 2007 and haven't won. There have been some very close games though. Hoping this is the year that they break through.

I don't think I'll ever forget that finish against Auburn in 2019. NMSU set a beautiful screen that left Queen wide-freaking open... down by 1 point... shot goes up... airball.

I can understand missing that badly with a defender in your face. But, dude had plenty of room to get that shot off and missed the hoop by a couple of feet.

Reactions: AUrosmith
I don't think I'll ever forget that finish against Auburn in 2019. NMSU set a beautiful screen that left Queen wide-freaking open... down by 1 point... shot goes up... airball.

I can understand missing that badly with a defender in your face. But, dude had plenty of room to get that shot off and missed the hoop by a couple of feet.
Lol I was traveling for work and was at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Monterey for lunch. What a choke job by NMSU.

I wonder if anyone called the Georgia State upset, it would've sounded crazy a few days ago but it may be happening today.

Called Michigan over Colorado State but that one was not really an upset, also called Richmond over Iowa successfully. My next upset pick is Indiana over St.Mary’s, think IU will advance another round before falling to UCLA. Let’s see If I get this one right.

ADVERTISEMENT