ADVERTISEMENT

Jayhox

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2001
DW1qt2CUMAIp-vX.jpg

It really felt like this year was't going to go our way, esp losing at home. Gotta go out and take care of business tonight for senior night and finish off the year with momentum heading into big 12 tourney

It really felt like this year was't going to go our way, esp losing at home. Gotta go out and take care of business tonight for senior night and finish off the year with momentum heading into big 12 tourney
KU hasn't lost a game on Senior Night since Ted Owens' last season.

Finishing the year out against OSU will be a tough test. I feel like we never play well there. As long as the shots keep falling we are tough to be beat. If we can start getting some stops consistently we will be a tough out in March.

Realistically we could add another 3-4 years to this streak, without breaking a sweat. Our recruiting class coming in next year is solid, and outside of Svi and Devonte, we don’t really lose a lot.

Ridiculous record and i have a hard time seeing any program breaking it any time soon.

Streak definitely not getting the media run it deserves, but I'm biased and think it should get more run than it probably deserves. Also jealous of the duke, unc, Kentucky, east coast bias and know if one of those teams accomplished this feat it would be all cbb fans would see/hear about the rest of the year from the media.

Fitting that KU and Self broke the record with probably the worst of the 14 teams.

Ridiculous record and i have a hard time seeing any program breaking it any time soon.

Streak definitely not getting the media run it deserves, but I'm biased and think it should get more run than it probably deserves. Also jealous of the duke, unc, Kentucky, east coast bias and know if one of those teams accomplished this feat it would be all cbb fans would see/hear about the rest of the year from the media.

Fitting that KU and Self broke the record with probably the worst of the 14 teams.
It is constantly talked about at this time of year, and has been FOR YEARS. It's a media story every year, but it is not THE STORY anymore. Only 2 trips to the final 4 under Bill Self also makes people shrug it off a little. It's an effing amazing accomplishment, but GTFO with it "not getting the run" it deserves. Only one other Big12 team has made the final four during that time also. So the consistency is historically great, but it's not like Kansas is beating great teams all the time to do it.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
It is constantly talked about at this time of year, and has been FOR YEARS. It's a media story every year, but it is not THE STORY anymore. Only 2 trips to the final 4 under Bill Self also makes people shrug it off a little. It's an effing amazing accomplishment, but GTFO with it "not getting the run" it deserves. Only one other Big12 team has made the final four during that time also. So the consistency is historically great, but it's not like Kansas is beating great teams all the time to do it.
I tend to agree. There wouldn't be a streak of three, let alone fourteen in the ACC or B1G.

but it's not like Kansas is beating great teams all the time to do it.
We play the teams on our schedule. It’s not our fault that those teams arent good enough to beat us on the regular. We continually play one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country, we play a round robin conference schedule, and get EVERYONES best shot. Every. Single. Game.

What else do we need to do?

14 straight is huge, and the fact the we did it with one coach (where UCLA did it with a combination of 3), is even more special IMO.

Reactions: evsprt03

Again I have no issue admitting I'm a bias fan that wants all coverage on it. With that said, we definitely have different definitions of what "media run" is. And there's no convincing me of the hypothetical scenario that duke, unc, etc... would be getting same coverage that KU gets if they did it.

Lastly, no team would have been able to do what KU did in the big 12. That's the bigger point. Not that KU couldn't do what they did in another conference, but KU has done what no other college program could do/has done. No one has been able to persuade me otherwise.

Again I have no issue admitting I'm a bias fan that wants all coverage on it. With that said, we definitely have different definitions of what "media run" is. And there's no convincing me of the hypothetical scenario that duke, unc, etc... would be getting same coverage that KU gets if they did it.

Lastly, no team would have been able to do what KU did in the big 12. That's the bigger point. Not that KU couldn't do what they did in another conference, but KU has done what no other college program could do/has done. No one has been able to persuade me otherwise.
It's college basketball, the regular season is nice, but it barely registers for media attention. The post-season is nearly everything as far as media coverage goes. Sorry man, Kansas has largely failed there. Maybe Duke could have run off 14 straight in the B12, idk. No one has said it's not a big deal or historically great. The problem is that it's the regular season, and in a conference that hasn't done well in the NCAA Tournament.

So KU would have to win 14 in a row in the ACC for it to be impressive? You people crack me up.

The real question is who could have done what KU did? The answer is no one. All the top programs had down years in that span. Some several. Duke would be the closest but they had a team that finished .500 in league play during that time. They would have had to overcome a really good A&M team and Durant's Texas team. Not likely.

Reactions: speedfrk
Very good point. I know the Heels couldn’t have.
Its a good goal year to year, but we all know tourney success is the most important. I like how self breaks each year down to 1st season, second season, and tourney. I know winning the conference is emphasized--and moreso bc of the streak---but there is no doubt in my mind he doesn't prepare for march madness just as much.

Reactions: 829305
The ncaa tourney is a crap shoot. Look at the players KU has beaten to win the championships.
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Michael Beasley
Jevon Carter
Trae Young
Joey Graham
Tony Allen
DeAndre Jordan
DaMarre Carroll
Phil Pressey
DJ Augustine
Marcus Smart
Buddy Hield
Acie Law

on and on and on and on.

So KU would have to win 14 in a row in the ACC for it to be impressive? You people crack me up.

The real question is who could have done what KU did? The answer is no one. All the top programs had down years in that span. Some several. Duke would be the closest but they had a team that finished .500 in league play during that time. They would have had to overcome a really good A&M team and Durant's Texas team. Not likely.

People doubt it and devalue the big 12 because it's that amazing of a streak. Big 12 is right up there as the best or second best conference annually.

I think it's awesome that self did it with what is likely his worst team. He catches hell for March, but he's an incredible coach. I'm pretty sure he could take 12 dudes from this board and somehow figure it out and coach is up and win it.

People doubt it and devalue the big 12 because it's that amazing of a streak. Big 12 is right up there as the best or second best conference annually.

I think it's awesome that self did it with what is likely his worst team. He catches hell for March, but he's an incredible coach. I'm pretty sure he could take 12 dudes from this board and somehow figure it out and coach is up and win it.

Not in post season play. I believe that is kind of one of the issues. Hell, let’s just look at the last 15 years (because of the 14 year number). The SEC, which has been considered terrible has 3 nattys and at least double (maybe triple) finale 4s than the Big 12. It a great accomplishment and I’m not trying to take that away, just goes to show that while ranked highly every year, it may be a bit overrated frequently.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Sorry, 8-6 in favor of SEC over that time span which has been considered notoriously bad over hthe last 15 years

Sorry, 8-6 in favor of SEC over that time span which has been considered notoriously bad over hthe last 15 years

You have to take Kentucky out of the equation when comparing. Or do they have to play themselves?

Outside of Florida, there is rarely a major player in the SEC. And FL was probably average/mediocre in more than half those years. Meaning during the majority of that span the entire league was weak.

The Big 12 has been a little overrated some years, but quit trying to pump up the perception of the SEC by using Kentucky's final fours. LOL.

Last edited:
Not in post season play. I believe that is kind of one of the issues. Hell, let’s just look at the last 15 years (because of the 14 year number). The SEC, which has been considered terrible has 3 nattys and at least double (maybe triple) finale 4s than the Big 12. It a great accomplishment and I’m not trying to take that away, just goes to show that while ranked highly every year, it may be a bit overrated frequently.

My point is that self is as consistently elite as it gets. Every year.

If you Look up march wins for self. The whole post season failure narrative isn't all that accurate. You can definitely make the argument that some years he underachieved in march but when you're always a 1 or 2 seed that will happen. Can't make the FF every year. Kentucky has had a good run with a lot of success but also a couple of NIT years and off years like this year. Kansas hasn't had that. Selfs consistency is unparalleled

That's not what he said. If you want more credibility for it, your team and or conference need to do much better in the tournament. When you fail to do so year in and year out, it diminishes the view of your conference. The B10 suffers the same problems for not having a championship since what, 2000? Yet they are consistently one of the better conferences in tournament. More final four appearances and by a variety of teams that most other conferences can't claim. They also over achieve (in the tournament) based on what people expect year in and year out. Other than actually winning it all.

Last edited:
Realistically we could add another 3-4 years to this streak, without breaking a sweat. Our recruiting class coming in next year is solid, and outside of Svi and Devonte, we don’t really lose a lot.
Plus you always have John Higgins.

Plus you always have John Higgins.
If you believe Kansas always gets more breaks than Kentucky......what do you think it is that makes our players and coaches much more likable than UK and their program? Why do refs and ncaa seeding committees prefer to help Kansas as opposed to UK?

Hilarious watching UK fans say we get a favorable whistle when KenPom's metric has them as a top 20 team in home court foul advantage (which is 20 spots higher than KU...)

At least they're top 20 in something this year I guess.

Reactions: npreston
I tend to agree. There wouldn't be a streak of three, let alone fourteen in the ACC or B1G.
No. But then again, there isn't another program out there that would have won 14 straight in the Big XII. Everybody else has had down years. KU, even with our weakest team since probably 2005, is still a top 15 team. THAT is what impresses me most about the streak. Self has had complete roster turnovers and turned them into legit teams. He's had rosters that had little to no NBA talent and turned them into legit teams. He just does it over and over again. I think his struggles in the NCAA tourney are because he coaches them up over their ability quite often during the regular season and gets a seed higher than what KU actually deserves, but again, that's the mark of a good coach imo. He may lose a game in the NCAA tourney against a team he isn't familiar with, but I'd take him in a best of 10 against just about anybody, most years. No team has swept KU in his tenure. Even teams that are probably better than KU. Because he learns from the mistakes and puts together a solid game plan, every single game(except for his decision to not pull Dok at Oklahoma).

I also though think that part of his struggles in March have been due to some bad luck. We've had some shitty luck with injuries in March, and we've had more than our fair share of teams going apeshit from 3 against us. I think at one point, Oregon had hit 16 out of 18 shots against us, including three 3 pointers that bounced or banked in. That is just shit luck. UNC won it all last year, but if Oregon had that kind of luck going their way against UNC, Oregon would have won comfortably. Sometimes it's all about getting a little luck to go your way. But as a KU fan, it seems that we've had more than our share of players hitting deep buzzer beating threes against us. It's my theory that Danny and the Miracles sold their souls to the basketball gods and they've rained nothing but bad luck(sans 2008) on us since.

Hilarious watching UK fans say we get a favorable whistle when KenPom's metric has them as a top 20 team in home court foul advantage (which is 20 spots higher than KU...)

At least they're top 20 in something this year I guess.
UK got jobbed in AFH a few years ago. There's no doubt about that. We got some favorable calls down the stretch.

They've been bitter about it since. There are always a few UK fans trolling KU game threads, complaining about officiating.

It's college basketball, the regular season is nice, but it barely registers for media attention. The post-season is nearly everything as far as media coverage goes. Sorry man, Kansas has largely failed there. Maybe Duke could have run off 14 straight in the B12, idk. No one has said it's not a big deal or historically great. The problem is that it's the regular season, and in a conference that hasn't done well in the NCAA Tournament.

Now here's a funny fact. KU has underperformed in the tourney compared to their seed. Yet, the 1988 team was the lowest seeded KU team in the last 30 years. And they won a national title.

The NCAA tournament is weird.

UK got jobbed in AFH a few years ago. There's no doubt about that. We got some favorable calls down the stretch.

They've been bitter about it since. There are always a few UK fans trolling KU game threads, complaining about officiating.
Jobbed???......nah. A home whistle that everybody gets....sure.

People act like it’s just the big 12. Look up the history. Every conference Self has coached in he has been well on his way to rattling off consecutive conference championships. Look at what he did in the Big 10. He would have done the same there.

Jobbed???......nah. A home whistle that everybody gets....sure.
They got a worse than usual whistle. At least down the stretch it was pretty bad. The first 35 minutes not so much, but it was very pro Kansas late. Do UK fans do have a gripe.

WVU fans though do not, imo. I’ll never admit to a pro-KU whistle in that one, because I just don’t feel like there was one. They simply did nothing to put themselves on the line. Even when they got the ball down low(which was rare), they favored leaning away from the basket for a short jumper or a hook shot, rather than being aggressive to the rim.

I can hear it now...

Self chokes again! With a team that everyone predicted to not make it out of the first weekend. Guess he needs to start losing more regular season games?

ADVERTISEMENT