ADVERTISEMENT

12 years ago today: The worst officiated game in NCAA history

nole96

Oct 9, 2002
FSU at #2 Duke, February 4th 2006. It, too, was on a Super Bowl Sunday.

Everyone complains from time to time about refs screwing their team. But no game in NCAA history comes close to the corruption displayed in Cameron that afternoon. The boxscore says it all:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=260350150

FSU made 13 more FGs than Duke. That is the biggest FG margin by a losing team in NCAA history. FSU also dominated on the boards, +15 in rebounds. FSU had a better FG%. They had a better FT%. The assists, steals, and turnovers were nearly even. So how did Duke manage to pull out a win in a game that they were so thoroughly dominated? Look no further than the 32 more free throws they were awarded. A 43-11 advantage at the free throw line would normally make you assume one team drove inside while the other settled for outside jumpers, and that is exactly what happened. But it was Duke that settled for the outside jumpers and it was FSU taking the ball inside every possession. In fact, FSU attempted a whopping 80 FGs from within the 3-point line, and somehow ended up with just 11 FT attempts all game.

This was the kind of game you watch with your jaw open in disbelief the entire game, even as a fan of neither team.

Throw in one of the worst technical fouls you will ever see, one that ended up costing FSU its starting center and 2nd best player, and you have a game that was fixed from the get go.

The entire ACC crew was suspended for their actions, but that did little to help FSU's cause as that one game ended up costing them an NCAA Tournament bid.

Yes I'm still rustled.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I got over it 11 years and 364 days ago.

It's a regular season bball game

Conveniently left out of this post is that Duke attacked the basket and FSU settled for jumpers.

Conveniently left out of this post is that Duke attacked the basket and FSU settled for jumpers.
You got it backwards bro, and I addressed it. Unless you're thinking of a different game.

This. Some folks just wanna look at the FT disparity and give an opinion; usually a bad one. And usually quite biased. Instead of actually looking for a reason(s) as to why it happened. Of course though, it is easier to blame the officials.

I had a college game(NAIA) the other day. We are about 3/4 through the 1st half and the coach says, after a foul---They have shot 14 FT's to our two. Ok. So at the end of half, he screams at us(me,really) "18-4"!!!! Ridiculous. SO I glance at the scoreboard-----Says 9-7 in fouls. See what their coach seemed to realize is TWICE they fouled shooters attempting three's. That's six freebies right there. My point is, there's usually a reason other than the "officials" , that a FT disparity can be so wide.

But like I said----Easier to blame the officials.

This. Some folks just wanna look at the FT disparity and give an opinion; usually a bad one. And usually quite biased. Instead of actually looking for a reason(s) as to why it happened. Of course though, it is easier to blame the officials.

I had a college game(NAIA) the other day. We are about 3/4 through the 1st half and the coach says, after a foul---They have shot 14 FT's to our two. Ok. So at the end of half, he screams at us(me,really) "18-4"!!!! Ridiculous. SO I glance at the scoreboard-----Says 9-7 in fouls. See what their coach seemed to realize is TWICE they fouled shooters attempting three's. That's six freebies right there. My point is, there's usually a reason other than the "officials" , that a FT disparity can be so wide.

Normally I agree with you but I remember that game. FSU got completely hosed throughout.

Edit to add: @IrishBlooded. I've been locked out of posting for 2 days due to some limit. Any chance you can help me get unlocked?

Last edited:

Another one who didn't read the entire post.

Reactions: RipThru
salt-mine-squabble-drags-on2017-03-200.jpg

12 years and still complaining about the refs...from an early February game...that’s pretty special.

I’m sure FSU didn’t lose any other games that cost them a chance at making the tournament that year.

Everyone complains from time to time about refs screwing their team. But no game in NCAA history comes close to the corruption displayed in Cameron that afternoon. The boxscore says it all:

FSU made 13 more FGs than Duke. That is the biggest FG margin by a losing team in NCAA history. FSU also dominated on the boards, +15 in rebounds. FSU had a better FG%. They had a better FT%. The assists, steals, and turnovers were nearly even. So how did Duke manage to pull out a win in a game that they were so thoroughly dominated? Look no further than the 32 more free throws they were awarded. A 43-11 advantage at the free throw line would normally make you assume one team drove inside while the other settled for outside jumpers, and that is exactly what happened. But it was Duke that settled for the outside jumpers and it was FSU taking the ball inside every possession. In fact, FSU attempted a whopping 80 FGs from within the 3-point line, and somehow ended up with just 11 FT attempts all game.

This was the kind of game you watch with your jaw open in disbelief the entire game, even as a fan of neither team.

Throw in one of the worst technical fouls you will ever see, one that ended up costing FSU its starting center and 2nd best player, and you have a game that was fixed from the get go.

The entire ACC crew was suspended for their actions, but that did little to help FSU's cause as that one game ended up costing them an NCAA Tournament bid.

Yes I'm still rustled.

You loss to Greg Paulus!! Maybe the worst point GD int he history of Duke basketball!!

12 years and still complaining about the refs...from an early February game...that’s pretty special.

I’m sure FSU didn’t lose any other games that cost them a chance at making the tournament that year.
Yeah, well if that game ends up an FSU win like it should've, they're 21-9 and 10-6 in the ACC. Pretty sure no 10-6 ACC team has ever been left out, and certainly not one with two wins over the RPI #1 team (FSU beat Duke later that season in Tallahassee).

But referees also, like say Higgins, in all his interviews since, use how fouls were almost even. It seems ppl just use whatever is convenient.

However, I do agree yes, foul disparity is no indicator...if one team presses more, or one team takes it inside more, etc that really tells the story.

Also- officials got suspended from this game and Dukes previous game was called into question too

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601525.html

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but if you think the FT disparity was bad in your game, you should take a look at this one.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=283332509

Oklahoma shot 46 free throws and Purdue shot 5 for a 41 FT disparity.
Yeah a 41 FT disparity is crazy. But it still doesn't compare to the shenanigans from FSU/Duke. A quick glance at the box shows that Purdue attempted 33 shots from three, while Oklahoma took 19. Purdue was also out-rebounded 49-32. They had 5 more turnovers. So while 46-5 is nuts in itself, Oklahoma still looked to be the superior team in some statistical areas.

In FSU/Duke, FSU had 13 more FGs and 15 more rebounds, and while they were the ones taking the ball inside while Duke settled for outside jumpers, Duke still got the 43-11 FT edge. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. Pure domination in every facet of the game, only to result in a loss.

Even take away the rebounding domination, I challenge you or anyone to find a game where a team made 10 more FGs than its opponent and lost. Now imagine 13. Hell, it's hard to make 13 more FGs period, even in a WIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC71-00
"everybody is quick to blame the officials..." hell yea, even the head of officials and other ACC coaches.

Yeah a 41 FT disparity is crazy. But it still doesn't compare to the shenanigans from FSU/Duke. A quick glance at the box shows that Purdue attempted 33 shots from three, while Oklahoma took 19. Purdue was also out-rebounded 49-32. They had 5 more turnovers. So while 46-5 is nuts in itself, Oklahoma still looked to be the superior team in some statistical areas.

In FSU/Duke, FSU had 13 more FGs and 15 more rebounds, and while they were the ones taking the ball inside while Duke settled for outside jumpers, Duke still got the 43-11 FT edge. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. Pure domination in every facet of the game, only to result in a loss.

Even take away the rebounding domination, I challenge you or anyone to find a game where a team made 10 more FGs than its opponent and lost. Now imagine 13. Hell, it's hard to make 13 more FGs period, even in a WIN.
Well, I wasn't trying to make the argument that our game was "worse" in the officiating, especially since I didn't see your game, but just that the FT disparity was down right criminal. They only shot 7 more 2 point shots than we did but shot 41 more FT's? We actually beat them in pretty much every category accept FT's and rebounds and lost the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: nole96

Yes I'm still rustled.

I have no skin in that game other than I love college bball, but you are right. There are tons of games where a couple of horrific calls that cost a team a victory, but that was a clear example of the officials "throwing" a game.

What's kinda funny is if you look at the box scores for both games, the fouls are exactly the same for the winning/losing teams.

Losing team:
FSU: 28 fouls
Purdue: 28 fouls

Winning team:
Duke: 15 fouls
Oklahoma: 15 fouls

Ah, the Michael Stephens' "Inadvertent whistle" game. I wish I could find the video for that gutless call.

That is so unlikely. The Big 10 teams play physical. If they don't get to 8-10 fouls the refs have the whistles where the sun doesn't shine. 41-5 is the fefs telling a team "their is no way you will win today."

That is so unlikely. The Big 10 teams play physical. If they don't get to 8-10 fouls the refs have the whistles where the sun doesn't shine. 41-5 is the fefs telling a team "their is no way you will win today."
People have used this argument so much against us. "Purdue is so physical they won't be any good on D with the new emphasis of the rules". Seem to be doing just fine as far as I can tell...

What's kinda funny is if you look at the box scores for both games, the fouls are exactly the same for the winning/losing teams.

Losing team:
FSU: 28 fouls
Purdue: 28 fouls

Winning team:
Duke: 15 fouls
Oklahoma: 15 fouls
Good catch. No team deserves that kind of foul disparity.

I watched that game at a bar in Raleigh and even the Duke fans there were in disbelief at some of the calls. Some of those "wow, Frank, we got away with one there" statements mumbled under breaths.

The double tech was the worst though, and it's ultimately what got the crew suspended. Kid is walking away from a situation, is kicked/shoved, and he's given a tech...which is his 5th foul.

I watched that game at a bar in Raleigh and even the Duke fans there were in disbelief at some of the calls. Some of those "wow, Frank, we got away with one there" statements mumbled under breaths.

The double tech was the worst though, and it's ultimately what got the crew suspended. Kid is walking away from a situation, is kicked/shoved, and he's given a tech...which is his 5th foul.

Do you have video of it?

No they weren't. They were suspended over A CALL. Not on how the game was officiated.

If the only problem with the way that game was officiated had been just that one call, they never would have been suspended.

They were suspended over an incorrect call. One call. Not on how the game was officiated overall.
Dude, you’re defense of the refs are normally fair, but it’s hard to do so in this game. Seems pretty clear that the refs did a piss poor job throughout the entire game.

Do you have video of it?

You can find video of nearly every FSU/Duke game in recent history. Duke and FSU tend to play a lot of great games. But for some unknown reason I haven't been able to find any video of an OT thriller that just happened to feature egregious calls in favor of Duke.

But here's an article about it in the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601525.html

With about 9 1/2 minutes to play in the second half, Florida State forward Alexander Johnson fouled Duke's Shelden Williams as he drove to the basket. Williams fell, and Johnson was assessed an intentional foul, his fourth personal foul. Television replays showed Williams then jumped up and charged with his right shoulder and forearm lowered into Johnson, who backed away. The players were each given a technical foul, resulting in Johnson's disqualification for five fouls.

The technical foul was Williams's fourth foul, but he played the rest of the game, making the winning free throws with 3.3 seconds left in overtime. The senior all-American finished with 27 points and 13 rebounds. Duke made 31 of 43 foul-shot attempts in the game; Florida State made 10 of 11.

And just for fun, here's a video of Alexander Johnson absolutely posterizing some poor kid from Georgia Tech. Good gracious that boy has a momma.

ADVERTISEMENT