ADVERTISEMENT

“ Auburn has the best backcourt in the country “

- Kentucky legend Antoine Walker

High praise from the big fella.
That guy on SEC now is not Antoine Walker, that's the guy that ate Antoine Walker.

Well, if AU has the best backcourt in the country, then anything less than a Final Four would be a huge disappointment IMO.
Good luck.

Oh hey, has AU given birth to Clemson's baby yet?

Reactions: JC for 3
I don’t know about huge but yeah it would be pretty disappointing. Should win the whole thing if we play to our ability but you never know what can happen in the tourney.
If you play to your ability against the other teams that play to their ability...you better harness the tail tuck.

Raises an interesting question. Who are the best backcourts in college basketball? Auburn definitely up there. Interesting though, there might be a team with an even better backcourt and they owe it all to Auburn. Of course I'm talking about St. Johns with Ponds and Auburn transfer Herron.

Other great backcourts off the top of my head...

Michigan (Simpson, Matthews)
Michigan State (Winston, Langford)
Duke (Jones, Barrett/Reddish)
Gonzaga (Perkins, Norvel)
Virginia (Guy, Jerome)
Buffalo (Massinburg, Harris)
Virginia Tech (Alexander-Walker, Robinson)

Looking at that list, no way is Auburn #1. Definitely top 10 though.

Raises an interesting question. Who are the best backcourts in college basketball? Auburn definitely up there. Interesting though, there might be a team with an even better backcourt and they owe it all to Auburn. Of course I'm talking about St. Johns with Ponds and Auburn transfer Herron.

Other great backcourts off the top of my head...

Michigan (Simpson, Poole, Matthews)
Michigan State (Winston, Langford)
Duke (Jones, Barrett/Reddish)
Gonzaga (Perkins, Norvel)
Virginia (Guy, Jerome)
Buffalo (Massinburg, Harris)
Virginia Tech (Alexander-Walker, Robinson)

Looking at that list, no way is Auburn #1. Definitely top 10 though.

FIFY

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
What’s anyone done? They pass the eye test. Oh my heavens do they ever pass the eye test.

Oh, I don't know. Beat good teams?

Know who else passes the eye test vs the St Peter's Peacocks? Everybody else who plays them.

Know who else passes the eye test vs the St Peter's Peacocks? Everybody else who plays them.
I’m used to interacting with low IQ individuals on the internet but it’s bizarre you’d reference St Peters when AU has already throttled the likes of Xavier, Arizona, Washington and Dayton. Missed a chance at a true signature win against Duke but few have the resume of Auburn thus far.

Reactions: Slippin Jimmy
I’m used to interacting with low IQ individuals on the internet but it’s bizarre you’d reference St Peters when AU has already throttled the likes of Xavier, Arizona, Washington and Dayton. Missed a chance at a true signature win against Duke but few have the resume of Auburn thus far.

48, 51, 59, and 75 in Kenpom ratings. Real juggernauts.

edit: Needing extra time to beat the 59th rated team in the country doesn't really classify as "throttling" them.

Reactions: sgrooms and tw3301

Cool story. How many of those teams are ranked? Wait, that's not fair. There are some good teams that aren't in the top 25. How many of those received votes?

You guys are welcome to do the research. Might find a handful of teams. Interested to see what you come up with.

Nobody cares about the polls but UW was certainly ranked before being embarrassed and having their bus set on fire on their visit to AU lol.

Reactions: AuHoosier420

I do not think we are the greatest, but we did blow Washington out of the gym and were up by 30 on em a good part of the game. Have beaten Xavier, Washington, Arizona, Dayton etc..

Should be an interesting year, and glad we get Purifoy back this weekend..

I do not think we are the greatest, but we did blow Washington out of the gym and were up by 30 on em a good part of the game. Have beaten Xavier, Washington, Arizona, Dayton etc..

Should be an interesting year, and glad we get Purifoy back this weekend..
Yeah, but be honest, Arizona, Dayton and X are just names at this point.
X and Dayton just lost exceptional coaches, X also lost a couple of really good players and the biggest name of those three, Arizona, has a coach that can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.
I mean, Arizona just lost to a stank ass Alabama team.
Don't get me wrong, AU is a heck of a basketball team, but those three wins are not impressive at all.

I don’t know about huge but yeah it would be pretty disappointing. Should win the whole thing if we play to our ability but you never know what can happen in the tourney.

I think this is interesting. After watching the AU-Dayton game, I was reminded of playing Bruce's style.

The offense consists of the following:
-Throwing around perimeter leading to a 3
-Lobbing up for a dunk
-Creating fastbreak with defense
-Hope to get off rebound and putback

If the outside shots aren't falling (which will happen), Aub will lose to a decent team. Against Dayton, if Brown doesn't go nuts, Aub likely would have lost. Dayton is mediocre at best and fringe tournament team.

On many nights, Aub will blow out opponents from the 3pt barrage. But they will lose at least a few games they shouldn't relying too much on outside game.

I think this is interesting. After watching the AU-Dayton game, I was reminded of playing Bruce's style.

The offense consists of the following:
-Throwing around perimeter leading to a 3
-Lobbing up for a dunk
-Creating fastbreak with defense
-Hope to get off rebound and putback

If the outside shots aren't falling (which will happen), Aub will lose to a decent team. Against Dayton, if Brown doesn't go nuts, Aub likely would have lost. Dayton is mediocre at best and fringe tournament team.

On many nights, Aub will blow out opponents from the 3pt barrage. But they will lose at least a few games they shouldn't relying too much on outside game.
Sounds like the Golden St Warriors. Well said friend.

Best backcourts? This is probably wrong, but...

1. Virginia: DeAndre Hunter, Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy
2. Duke: RJ Barrett, Tre Jones, Cam Reddish
3. Michigan: Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole, Xavier Simpson
4. Auburn: Jared Harper, Bryce Brown, Dunbar/Doughty
5. Nevada: Caleb Martin, Cody Martin, Jazz Johnson
6. Mississippi State: Quindary Weatherspoon, Lamar Peters, Nick Weatherspoon, Tyson Carter
7. Virginia Tech: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill
8. Michigan State: Cassius Winston, Josh Langford
9. Gonzaga: Zach Norvell, Josh Perkins, Corey Kispert
10. NC State: Torin Dorn, CJ Bryce, Markell Johnson, Devon Daniels

Last edited:
Reactions: Denim Vest
Best backcourts? This is probably wrong, but...

1. Virginia: DeAndre Hunter, Ty Jerome, Kyle Guy
2. Duke: RJ Barrett, Tre Jones, Cam Reddish
3. Michigan: Charles Matthews, Jordan Poole
4. Auburn: Jared Harper, Bryce Brown, Dunbar/Doughty
5. Nevada: Caleb Martin, Cody Martin, Jazz Johnson
6. Mississippi State: Quindary Weatherspoon, Lamar Peters, Nick Weatherspoon, Tyson Carter
7. Virginia Tech: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill
8. Michigan State: Cassius Winston, Josh Langford
9. Gonzaga: Zach Norvell, Josh Perkins, Corey Kispert
10. NC State: Torin Dorn, CJ Bryce, Markell Johnson, Devon Daniels
Thoughtful list. I’d consider backcourt to mean two players. PG And SG. I know that’s what I and Antoine are referring to even though a lot of teams play 3 guards or you could consider a SF sort of a hybrid guard/ backcourt player.

Reactions: dukedevilz
You guys are welcome to do the research. Might find a handful of teams. Interested to see what you come up with.

Nobody cares about the polls but UW was certainly ranked before being embarrassed and having their bus set on fire on their visit to AU lol.

My research tells me that Auburn has not beaten a team that received votes.

They can't even earn a vote.....

But carry on about having accomplished as much as anyone. Laughing

My research tells me that Auburn has not beaten a team that received votes.

They can't even earn a vote.....

But carry on about having accomplished as much as anyone. Laughing
I really don’t mean to humiliate you but someone who defers to the worthless polls and uses emojis is not to be taken seriously.

Feel free to provide an analysis using the NET or Kenpom if you want to redeem yourself. 4 top 70 wins per the NET doubt more than a handful of clubs can say that right now. Not just wins mind you but complete domination.

In any event I was really trying to focus on the best backcourts. Will have plenty of threads discussing Auburn as a title favorite going forward.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I really don’t mean to humiliate you but someone who defers to the worthless polls and uses emojis is not to be taken seriously.

Feel free to provide an analysis using the NET or Kenpom if you want to redeem yourself. 4 top 70 wins per the NET doubt more than a handful of clubs can say that right now. Not just wins mind you but complete domination.

In any event I was really trying to focus on the best backcourts. Will have plenty of threads discussing Auburn as a title favorite going forward.
NET is an absolute joke but for Kenpom please see below:
48, 51, 59, and 75 in Kenpom ratings. Real juggernauts.

edit: Needing extra time to beat the 59th rated team in the country doesn't really classify as "throttling" them.

Reactions: KisteK and sgrooms
Speaking of humiliation...did you actually just reference NET?

Also, it's pretty damn funny that in the ranking of your choice, the highest rated team is #37. Laughing

Reactions: sgrooms
NET is an absolute joke but for Kenpom please see below:
Well good job by you. Although I’d say the polls are bigger joke than the NET. Certainly infinitely more meaningless.

AU is # 9 on Kenpom so that pretty good. Still waiting on this list of teams that have a bunch of higher quality wins. There’s like 5 teams that have a really good win so far. Not many with 4 over teams that could legitimately make the tourney.

Well good job by you. Although I’d say the polls are bigger joke than the NET. Certainly infinitely more meaningless.

AU is # 9 on Kenpom so that pretty good. Still waiting on this list of teams that have a bunch of higher quality wins. There’s like 5 teams that have a really good win so far. Not many with 4 over teams that could legitimately make the tourney.
No I agree, Auburn is really good especially when their guards are drilling threes.

Reactions: Denim Vest

Per Kenpom:

Auburn top 5 wins:

Michigan top 5 wins:

The Washington team that lost to NIT hopeful Minnesota?

To be fair, Washington did beat Nevada by 18 in Reno in a preseason game... And they almost took down Gonzaga in Spokane. I think UW is the best team in the Pac-12, which probably isn't saying a whole lot, but they certainly have talent. Jaylen Nowell has a decent chance at being Pac-12 POY - and Matisse Thybulle might be the best defender in the country. Team can't shoot very well from the perimeter, so that part will be tough to overcome. But I think UW will be a top 25 team before the end of the year.

For more fun, SOS per Kenpom (AdjEM):
Duke 74
Kansas 14
UVA 294
Mich 75
Nev 82
Gonz 22
UNC 90
Mich st 12
Aub 109
TN 41

Duke may have played 3 top teams so far, but the rest have been a joke. UVA's sched has been absurd.

For more fun, SOS per Kenpom (AdjEM):
Duke 74
Kansas 14
UVA 294
Mich 75
Nev 82
Gonz 22
UNC 90
Mich st 12
Aub 109
TN 41

Duke may have played 3 top teams so far, but the rest have been a joke. UVA's sched has been absurd.

To be fair, a few weeks ago Duke had a top 10 SOS per Kenpom. K always schedules easier competition before finals. This 74 is more of a timing thing than anything.

Reactions: PHXDukie
ADVERTISEMENT